PDA

View Full Version : Marvelous pigments Q

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-09, 04:46 AM
Can you divide them up or do you have to make one object up to 1000 cubic foot? IE can you paint an arrow and save the rest? Also can you pain a quiver of arrows, seeing as that is in fact more than one object?

Darrin
2007-08-09, 08:01 AM
Can you divide them up or do you have to make one object up to 1000 cubic foot? IE can you paint an arrow and save the rest? Also can you pain a quiver of arrows, seeing as that is in fact more than one object?

That's what I'd like to know... or more specifically, the 2000 GP limit. Is that limit *per item*, or is that a total that can't be exceeded? In other words, can I paint myself multiple suits of full plate, sell/trade them for 1500 GP each, buy myself another set of marvelous pigments for 4000 GP, rinse and repeat? Or is the 2000 GP limit more of a running total, you keep adding the cost of items created to it, and once you reach 2000 GP the pigments run out?

Everyman
2007-08-09, 08:19 AM
I don't know how WotC rules it, but here's my ruling...

*Ahem*

Marvelous Pigments are a magic item that can be used more than once, allowing you to create new objects until one of two things happens:
1) You have used the pigments to paint 100 square feet.
2) You have used the pigments to create 2,000 gold worth of items.

Upon reaching either point, you exhaust the resources of the pigments.

Generally, I ask the player to keep a running total of how much paint they have used and how expense the items were they painted, rounding to the nearest whole number in all cases.

Overlard
2007-08-09, 08:24 AM
A recent article on wizards indicates that you can use them for as many different objects and at as many different times as you want as long as you don't exceed the limits. The 2000gp is for the total of items, not each individual one.

You can also create alchemical items, which is something I hadn't considered before.