PDA

View Full Version : WoWd20

Merilan
2007-08-09, 05:19 AM
Does anyone here play the World of Warcraft d20 game? There's something that's slightly unclear to me. In that system, all spellcasters learn new spells by manner of training, rolling Spellcraft checks equal to 10 + the spell level to actually learn it at the end of the training session. There're some people like Paladins where they don't get Spellcraft as a class skill; it's mentioned, however, that divine casters go through the same process of training.

Opinions?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-08-09, 06:53 AM
:smallconfused: there is a WoW d20 game? :smallconfused: Is it any good?

Merilan
2007-08-09, 07:22 AM
It's quite good. It's got a pretty loose-and-flexy spellcasting system of a wizard/sorcerer hybrid where everyone prepares their spells, but you can know as many spells as you want with a max spells prepared dependant on your main stat and Spellcraft ranks. It's mostly Core Rules with a light WoW flavor, but the supplements add quite a lot of the MMO feel to it.

GolemsVoice
2007-08-09, 07:24 AM
Yes, there is. But it is a new version of the old Pen&Paper, which, as far as I know, was not a WoW PnP, but a Warcraft PnP. I heard that the Warcraft Version was better than the WoW Version, but I don't know for sure. But both versions contained some mistakes in layout and order.

I am sorry, though, I cannot answer the question.

Indon
2007-08-09, 07:28 AM
I personally like the WoW version over the original version. Aside from the 3.5 upgrade, they update a lot of the mechanics to be less D&D-like and more Warcraft-like.

Also, I'm pretty sure only Arcanists roll to learn spells; it's the equivalent of adding to their spellbooks, and I don't see why a divine caster would do it.

Starsinger
2007-08-09, 05:24 PM
Indon's right, the WoW RPG is much better than the Warcraft RPG in terms of feeling like Warcraft and general mechanical effectiveness. If you've got the money, I really recommend it..

Exarch
2007-08-09, 05:56 PM
Yes, the WoW d20 is pretty nice. Certain races (Trolls) are insane, and there's a nice selection of feats, and there's some interesting PrCs. Inventors or whatever are retarded and should be banned (mostly because of a lack of clarity in how they make anything).

As to Paladins...I'm pretty sure they learn their spells just the same as their D&D brothers. Same with the PrCs that give magic casting (Assassin, etc) and we've played Priests and Shamans that way as well.

I think WoW was just trying to nerf casters, but limiting the number of spells Arcanists know and reducing Divine casters to, basically, Cloistered Clerics variant.

TheThan
2007-08-09, 06:08 PM
I’ve flipped through the books but I’ve never played the game. Although there are some things I really like about it, namely the stats for the orcs (I also like the flavor of the orcs).
Generally I would have done it quite differently than what they did. Not that what they did is bad, its just I have my own ideas I would like to see implemented.

Overlord
2007-08-09, 06:13 PM
Well, in my mind, the two rulebooks accomplish different things.

The Warcraft RPG is more of a "D&D in a Warcraft 3 setting" deal. I like that.

The WoW RPG is World of Warcraft, but pen and paper. I find that less appealing than a Warcraft D&D.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-08-09, 06:16 PM
Well it does look interesting; I have to say. Thanks!

Jasdoif
2007-08-10, 05:44 PM
That's interesting...the book I have says the Spellcraft DC to learn a spell from a trainer is 15 + the spell level (except level-0 spells, which require no checks). Anyway...Paladins only get up to 4th level spells anyway, so qualifying via cross-class ranks in Spellcraft isn't too bad of an idea. Ranks in Spellcraft can increase how many spells you can prepare anyway, as I recall.

Now, what's confusing is that apparently Healers don't start with any spells known. What's up with that? :smallconfused:

talsine
2007-08-10, 05:57 PM
guess i'm the odd man out in saying that i thought that the WoW book was terrible, both mechanicaly and in capturing the flavor of the classes. Especialy as comparing it to the MMO. Some classes (hunter) are useless, other (Shamans, Shadow Priests, Feral/Balance Druids) have a completely different feel, if they exist, and some of the races are just odd. And i'll always disagree with +Con for Warcraft Orcs. I bought, read it, took some of the races (Taurens, Trolls, Forsaken, High/Blood Elves, Night Elves) and threw the rest away, just modifying the existing D&D rules for use. Ended up working much better.

In fact, the only thing that i really liked where the racial levels for some of the races, and those where taken from Arcana Unearthed. what a waste

Jasdoif
2007-08-10, 06:03 PM
guess i'm the odd man out in saying that i thought that the WoW book was terrible, both mechanicaly and in capturing the flavor of the classes. Especialy as comparing it to the MMO. Some classes (hunter) are useless, other (Shamans, Shadow Priests, Feral/Balance Druids) have a completely different feel, if they exist, and some of the races are just odd. And i'll always disagree with +Con for Warcraft Orcs. I bought, read it, took some of the races (Taurens, Trolls, Forsaken, High/Blood Elves, Night Elves) and threw the rest away, just modifying the existing D&D rules for use. Ended up working much better.

In fact, the only thing that i really liked where the racial levels for some of the races, and those where taken from Arcana Unearthed. what a wasteWell, I've never played the MMO and have never even seen Arcana Unearthed, so that may have something to do with it...main reason I know about it is because a friend of mine insists that the alchemy rules in the More Magic & Mayhem supplement are the among the greatest things ever, and should be included in any D&D campaign.

talsine
2007-08-10, 06:12 PM
Well, I've never played the MMO and have never even seen Arcana Unearthed, so that may have something to do with it...main reason I know about it is because a friend of mine insists that the alchemy rules in the More Magic & Mayhem supplement are the among the greatest things ever, and should be included in any D&D campaign.

Take your word for it, i never bought more than the core book as it was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Doesn't really matter much anymore, we've moved onto Arcanis and Shadowrun now, so it was an even bigger waste. Still, it was nice to play while it lasted.