PDA

View Full Version : Name Help

Glitchy
2017-08-01, 03:59 AM
I'm working on a race of aquatic dragon-men similar to the dragonborn from 4e but with a serpent-like lower half closer to that of merfolk. This is going to end up as a playable race. They are going to be honorable hunters and warriors of the ocean with a clan based society and a strong respect for ancestral heritage and tradition.

But I can not for the life of me come up with a good name for the race. :smallconfused:

Everything I've tried either sounds like a mangled version of the word Dragon or sounds too stupid and made up to be taken seriously. I could really use some help from the creative collective.

EDIT: While I'm asking. Also looking for name suggestions for an aquatic dryad type race.

Vogie
2017-08-01, 02:55 PM
The first one sure sounds like a naga. That has actually been already statted out in the WotC's Plane Shift: Amonkhet. You can call them Drago-Naga if you want to be a bit more on the nose.

Dryads were a branch of Nymph in Greek Myth. The greek names for ocean/water/sea nymphs were Hydriads, Naiads, Oceanids (or okeanides), Haliai (or Haliae), and Nereids

MintyNinja
2017-08-01, 03:10 PM
To expand on Vogie's suggestion, you could shorten it to Droga. That separates it from Naga and Dragonborns alike.

For the Dryads I'd go with something related to "dendro", the root for tree. Maybe Dendrillians.