PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Increasing Carry Size

sflame56
2017-08-02, 03:04 PM
So I want to play a kobold that runs around with a two handed greatsword. The issue is since its heavy I have disadvantage with it. I was wondering if there is any skills or class features in the books that increases your carry weight by one size larger. Any in unearthed arcana?

lunaticfringe
2017-08-02, 03:16 PM
The level 6 Bear Totem Barbarian Option doubles carrying Capacity. I'm afb, iirc I can't recall if you are considered large but I don't think so.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-02, 03:59 PM
Disadvantage small creatures get for using weapons with Heavy property has nothing to do with carrying capacity. Ways to make you count as size larger than you are consists of Potion of Growth and Enlarge spell.

Susano-wo
2017-08-02, 04:05 PM
might be easiest to just petition the Gm to let you. I can't think of a balance reason and if you are STR based , it would make sense (at least enough sense for D&D) that you can throw around a huge sword that most kobolds could not.

Thrudd
2017-08-02, 04:15 PM
It's a matter of the game making at least a nominal effort to enforce some kind of life-like consistency. A 3 foot tall creature couldn't wield a six foot long sword as anything other than a very expensive and clumsy spear/polearm. It would be like a human with a 12ft long sword - there is no practical way to wield it. A (D&D)long sword is a two handed sword to a kobold.

suplee215
2017-08-02, 04:50 PM
A (D&D)long sword is a two handed sword to a kobold.

Except RAW it is not. A long sword is a versatile weapon a kobold can wield one handed. I get what the rules attempted to do, but with GWM being so insanely powerful ti does prevent concepts of a halfling, goblin, kobold, gnome etc. wielding a greataxe as a barbarian. And it also acts like no one is making "greataxes" that are small size as the ruels does not give one.

JackPhoenix
2017-08-02, 05:03 PM
Except RAW it is not. A long sword is a versatile weapon a kobold can wield one handed. I get what the rules attempted to do, but with GWM being so insanely powerful ti does prevent concepts of a halfling, goblin, kobold, gnome etc. wielding a greataxe as a barbarian. And it also acts like no one is making "greataxes" that are small size as the ruels does not give one.

Well, small "greataxe" isn't that great, is it?

Thrudd
2017-08-02, 05:14 PM

I know, but it should be. I guess we'd need to identify what it is that is responsible for the power the feat gives the character. Is it partly a function of how big the weapon is relative to the targets, or is it just a matter of skill? If it's just skill, then a small character with a small-person sized two-handed weapon (long sword or normal battle axe) should be able to take GWM. If it's partly a function of the actual size of the weapon and not just how it is wielded, then the RAW should stand and be off-limits to little guys. I mean, there really should be some practical disadvantage to being such a small creature in a world full of much bigger creatures - much stricter limits on physical strength being one of them. The RAW already gives them a huge amount of leeway and power relative to what common sense/real world physics would suggest.

suplee215
2017-08-02, 07:24 PM
I know, but it should be. I guess we'd need to identify what it is that is responsible for the power the feat gives the character. Is it partly a function of how big the weapon is relative to the targets, or is it just a matter of skill? If it's just skill, then a small character with a small-person sized two-handed weapon (long sword or normal battle axe) should be able to take GWM. If it's partly a function of the actual size of the weapon and not just how it is wielded, then the RAW should stand and be off-limits to little guys. I mean, there really should be some practical disadvantage to being such a small creature in a world full of much bigger creatures - much stricter limits on physical strength being one of them. The RAW already gives them a huge amount of leeway and power relative to what common sense/real world physics would suggest.

The practical disadvantage is how much you can carry, which makes sense. Of course a lot of DMs handwave or ignore it but that makes sense. So little of a weapon's power come from it's weight that a slightly smaller one shouldn't make much of a difference.

polymphus
2017-08-02, 07:26 PM
Why can't you just wield a regular longsword two-handed and have your little dude call it a greatsword? Yeah it has a slightly lower max-damage cap but it makes a lot more sense.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-03, 05:39 AM
UA has a Skill Feat called 'Burly' that adds +1 to strength, gives Athletics proficiency (or if you have it already, Expertise) and makes you count as the next size larger for carrying capacity.

See if your DM allows UA?

I bet it'll show up in Xanther's in some form, so I doubt it'll go away.

Thrudd
2017-08-03, 10:53 AM
The practical disadvantage is how much you can carry, which makes sense. Of course a lot of DMs handwave or ignore it but that makes sense. So little of a weapon's power come from it's weight that a slightly smaller one shouldn't make much of a difference.

I wasn't thinking the weight of the weapon so much as the momentum/force and leverage achievable by the wielder...a person half our size would reasonable generate a lot less of it, given weapons within a few pounds weight of each other. But it's fair to say that GWM is all about skill and let small characters benefit from it, just with a weapon with an appropriate length to be used as a sword or axe by them.

Slipperychicken
2017-08-03, 11:04 AM
Why can't you just wield a regular longsword two-handed and have your little dude call it a greatsword? Yeah it has a slightly lower max-damage cap but it makes a lot more sense.

This is basically what Bilbo did when he got Sting. It was more like a knife to the elves who made it, but for a hobbit it was big enough to be a sword.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-03, 11:09 AM

Maybe because it won't work with GWM.

Slipperychicken
2017-08-03, 11:10 AM
Maybe because it won't work with GWM.

Well, you don't get the -5/+10 (which is the more important thing IMO), but you do get the other bits.