PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pact of the Blade (Boon Upgrade)

Quintus Vorenus
2017-08-04, 03:20 PM
Greetings to all, I know there has been much discussion about the pact of the blade on this and other boards. As well as many attempts to fix the flavor and mechanical issues.

I myself confess I felt quite disappointed when I read the about this boon, for one primary reason. While you start with a patron themed weapon with a form you can alter, you end up with a fixed magic weapon you summon.

So here goes:

Pact of the Blade:

You can use your action to create an Eldritch weapon in a empty hand. You can choose the form this weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it.

This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage. This weapon also counts as a arcane focus, and any enchantment bonus it has can be added to the warlock's spell attacks.

Your eldritch weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can offer a magic weapon as a sacrifice to your patron by performing a special ritual while holding the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The magic weapon is then consumed by the patron and lost forever. Thereafter, whenever you use your pact boon, you are rewarded as it manifests with the sacrificed weapon's enchantments.

You can repeat this ritual with another magic weapon; if you do so, your eldritch weapon loses its current enchantments. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way.

Keeping up on the theme of the post here go some changes in favor of the spirit of the blade boon and of making a pact with an egocentric artifact

Hexblade:
Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium
armor, shields, and martial weapons. In addition, when attacking with a melee weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two- handed property, or the pact of the blade boon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.

Hounding Hex
Starting at 6th level, as a bonus action, you can Curse a creature you can see within 60 feet of you. While this curse persists the target can’t gain the benefits of half cover or three-quarters cover against your attack rolls, and you know the distance and direction to the target even if it is hidden. The curse can be automatically perceived by those with truesight. The target however only has a vague feeling of dread while it remains cursed.
As a bonus action, you can end this curse. It also automatically ends if you and the target are on different planes of existence, if you’re incapacitated, or if dispel magic, remove curse, or similar magic is used on the target.

JBPuffin
2017-08-04, 03:33 PM
Greetings to all, I know there has been much discussion about the pact of the blade on this and other boards. As well as many attempts to fix the flavor and mechanical issues.

I myself confess I felt quite disappointed when I read the about this boon, for one primary reason. While you start with a patron themed weapon with a form you can alter, you end up with a fixed magic weapon you summon.

So here goes:

Pact of the Blade:

You can use your action to create an Eldritch weapon in a empty hand. You can choose the form this weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage. This weapon also counts as a arcane focus, and any enchantment bonus it has can be added to the warlock's spell attacks. Your eldritch weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can offer a magic weapon as a sacrifice to your patron by performing a special ritual while holding the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The magic weapon is then consumed by the patron and lost forever. Thereafter, whenever you use your pact boon, you are rewarded as it manifests with the sacrificed weapon's enchantments.

You can repeat this ritual with another magic weapon; if you do so, your eldritch weapon loses its current enchantments. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way.

Did some re-grammaring while reflecting on this concept. Honestly, I think it's a power and flavor improvement; more power because, when a better enchantment comes along, you can put it on your weapon of choice, and better flavor because you're making sacrifices to your patron rather than asking for another favor. Also puts a built-in cost into the ability outside of spell slots and such, which I like. I'd use this change in a game.

Quintus Vorenus
2017-08-04, 03:46 PM
Thanks JBPuffin re grammar accepted!