PDA

View Full Version : 'Ever send a PM to yourself?

MR.PIXIE
2007-08-09, 04:35 PM
just two minets ago I sent my self a pm, then replied to it, then me and I just started talking.

You ever do this?

PlatinumJester
2007-08-09, 04:43 PM
Congratulations you must feel so proud. Have a cookie.

MR.PIXIE
2007-08-09, 04:49 PM
000ooo thanks! Is it chocolat chip?:smallsmile:

PlatinumJester
2007-08-09, 04:51 PM
Sure why not.

A chocolate a day leads to a 10% increase in "yummy" :smallsmile:

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-09, 04:56 PM
I tried way back when, and it told me I couldn't...

MR.PIXIE
2007-08-09, 05:00 PM
Sure why not.

A chocolate a day leads to a 10% increase in "yummy" :smallsmile:

You should change it to '' chocolate in your tummy adds an increase in'yummy' '':smallsmile:

Lucky
2007-08-09, 05:11 PM
I send PMs to myself when I need to keep a list of roles for Werewolves handy. I have yet to have a discussion with myself, that's just kind of sad.

B-Man
2007-08-09, 05:16 PM
Come now, Lucky, surely you must've conversed with yourself via PM. More than so-and-so is a Werewolf, he is a Villager. >_>

And on topic, I have yet to send myself a PM to myself, but all of my sent messages are archived 'til my PM reaches 90. They're the first things to go.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-09, 05:16 PM
...I HAVE HAD a conversation with myself if only to test out how a font works. :smalltongue:

Lucky
2007-08-09, 05:46 PM
Come now, Lucky, surely you must've conversed with yourself via PM. More than so-and-so is a Werewolf, he is a Villager. >_>

And on topic, I have yet to send myself a PM to myself, but all of my sent messages are archived 'til my PM reaches 90. They're the first things to go.You know, I cleaned out my PM box about 30 minutes ago, reading all my PMs before deleting them, and I have yet to find one of me talking to myself.

And it was never as complicated as "so-and-so is a Werewolf," it was just "so-and-so - Werewolf."

Whoops. :smalleek: Sorry so-and-so.

Xykon_Fan
2007-08-09, 05:51 PM
Heheh...I'm not sure...I don't think I've ever sent one deliberately, though I have accidentally replied to one of mine instead of forwarding it...

I never delete my messages though...I always download them in TXT format (Little button...bottom of the screen), and then delete them. It's saved me so many times that I forgot to write something down.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-08-09, 06:06 PM
I send PMs to myself when I need to keep a list of roles for Werewolves handy. I have yet to have a discussion with myself, that's just kind of sad.

No...Sad is conversing seriously with one's cat.

Cat: Meow?
Me: Not now, I'm busy.
Cat: Meeeeeow.
Me: Look, it's a non-ossue. Get over it.
Cat: Meow.
Me: I know. Life is rough as a kitty. Sleep 18 hours a day and drive me bonkers at night.
Me: Did we not just cover this?

:smallredface:

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 06:08 PM
:smalltongue: I've done that....

I email with myself occasionally...but only in character.
Seriously. I have two people who talk to each other through email. Neither one is me but their lives are a great soap opera...it's quite fascinating.

Yeah, okay, last fall I started wondering why I had all these spare email accounts and I needed a reason. :smallamused:

Pyro
2007-08-09, 06:11 PM

Me: I know. Life is rough as a kitty. Sleep 18 hours a day and drive me bonkers at night.

You know whats worse. Mocking your cat. I've done that on several occasions.

Cat: Meeeow. Meeeooooooow. MEEEEOOOW
Me: Meow, meow, meow! Thats all you ever do you whiny little animal! Why don't you take a break from sleeping all day and do something useful for once!

Of course I wasn't actually mad but imating your cats meows then ranting about it is a little sad. Fun though

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-08-09, 06:19 PM

Cat: Meeeow. Meeeooooooow. MEEEEOOOW
Me: Meow, meow, meow! Thats all you ever do you whiny little animal! Why don't you take a break from sleeping all day and do something useful for once!

Of course I wasn't actually mad but imating your cats meows then ranting about it is a little sad. Fun though

I've done that too.

Cat: Moew.
Me: Meow? MEOW?!? How DARE you say that? *scoffs* Meow, indeed. I'll have you know that such a comment would have had you executed 700 years ago!

Yeah...I have issues. :smalltongue:

LordVader
2007-08-09, 06:20 PM
I've done it, but solely to see whether or not the Police Station thread was working. I didn't have a conversation with myself, that's just sad.:smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 06:21 PM
I did mock my friend's dog once, for not having opposable thumbs.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-09, 06:36 PM
...cats at one point had it better than ALL humans way back in the Egyptian times, but even now, they're still somewhat spoiled.

Rawhide
2007-08-09, 06:37 PM
Its worse when you try to have a conversation with yourself but get ignored.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-09, 06:39 PM
If I recall correctly...one time I asked myself to dance, and was rejected.

That was one of the worst moments of my life :smalltongue:

StickMan
2007-08-09, 06:47 PM

Oh come on everyone talks to there pets. If you think they are going to respond that is when it is sad.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 06:49 PM
If I recall correctly...one time I asked myself to dance, and was rejected.

That was one of the worst moments of my life :smalltongue:

Ouch. And I thought making death threats to different aspects of my personality ("I am going to get some goddamn therapy, and I am never going to be in this mood again. You will no longer be part of me, you will be gone. So stop telling me to trip-throw people just to see if I still remember how.")

I don't really talk to animals, except telling my fish that I'm going to feed them/ am going away/ to stop jumping.

Rawhide
2007-08-09, 06:52 PM
I Has a Sweet Potato (http://littera-abactor.livejournal.com/7748.html)

emperor_mai
2007-08-09, 07:02 PM
just two minets ago I sent my self a pm, then replied to it, then me and I just started talking.

You ever do this?

should i?????

Zeful
2007-08-09, 08:58 PM
I sent PM to both of my brothers using their acounts to get them to log off the site when their done.

Amotis
2007-08-09, 10:08 PM
I have on accident. I was reading one of my sent PM's for a reason and I hit reply, thinking it would respond to the person I sent it to...but then I replied to myself. I was like "Oh, Inbox Unread: 1, they answered fast....oh...wait..."

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 10:15 PM
I has a sweet potato is awesome.

And along those same lines I do have these conversations.

Kitty: meow
Me: No.
Kitty: mew
Me: No. you got your food, that's all you get fat cat.
Kitty: Meow!
Me: Oh you're jealous. Look we are living in his house. We can't kick him out.
kitty: MERRROOOW!
Me: You get enough snuggles. He deserves snuggles to. It's not snuggle kitty time all the time you know.

SDF
2007-08-09, 10:18 PM
I'm enjoying snuggling kitty time right now =^.^=

I have on accident. I was reading one of my sent PM's for a reason and I hit reply, thinking it would respond to the person I sent it to...but then I replied to myself. I was like "Oh, Inbox Unread: 1, they answered fast....oh...wait..."

Lol, that's just... precious.

Gaelbert
2007-08-09, 10:37 PM
I've replied to myself once before, not on purpose, though.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 10:37 PM
I have on accident.

OK, am I the only person who is driven mad by this grammatical quirk? Everyone does it and maybe it's okay and I'm freaking out over nothing, but it just gets me all knotted up. "by accident".

:smallamused: the grammar police is leaving now. Thank you.

And to stay on topic...I talk to my cats like that. A kind of exasperated scolding-but-not:

"Meow!"
"Yes, I know, you NEVER get ANY attention, no one has petted you in MONTHS, you're DYING from neglect."
"Purr."
"You think you've got me trained pretty well, don't you?"

Alarra
2007-08-09, 10:41 PM
I have, on occasion, sent a pm to myself.

And I talk to my cat all the time.

cat: meow
me: meow
cat: meow meow
me: meow meow merow
cat: mraow
me: i kno-ow
cat: mew
me: yes, yes
cat: mew meow
me: it's hard being a kitty, isn't it?

Gaelbert
2007-08-09, 11:52 PM
OK, am I the only person who is driven mad by this grammatical quirk? Everyone does it and maybe it's okay and I'm freaking out over nothing, but it just gets me all knotted up. "by accident".

:smallamused: the grammar police is leaving now. Thank you.

Yes. Yes you are.:smalltongue:
I talk to my cat as well:
Tom (my cat): Meow
Me: Tom, you're a bad cat.
Tom: Meow
Me: Ok, fine. But this won't happen again.
Tom: Purrs for the next 30 minutes

It sure helps his case that he's the cutest cat in the world, though. :smalltongue:

reorith
2007-08-09, 11:59 PM
i call my home phone and leave messages so my animals can here my voice every now and then. one time,a dude answered and claimed to be me, but when i arrived back at my crudhole apartment no one was there :(

but no, i've yet to pm myself, that is just crazy.

Vuzzmop
2007-08-10, 12:03 AM

You ever do this?

If all you're going to do is talk to yourself, why do you need the computer? It's pathetic, but in a way I can laugh at. Have a cookie.

Serpentine
2007-08-10, 12:27 AM
Oh come on everyone talks to there pets. If you think they are going to respond that is when it is sad.
I always speak with animals with the expectation that they'll respond. Because you never know when they will.

I email stuff to myself... Don't usually have a conversation, though. Sometimes expletives, but only when things go wrong.

Nomrom
2007-08-10, 12:57 AM
i call my home phone and leave messages so my animals can here my voice every now and then. one time,a dude answered and claimed to be me, but when i arrived back at my crudhole apartment no one was there :(

Wait, you called your home phone and someone you don't know answered the phone? Doesn't this really worry you?

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-08-10, 01:00 AM
Actually, I think that emailing and pming things to one's self is a good way to save something to ensure that it can be accessed from any computer. You could have a conversation with yourself if you really wanted to. It would be a good way to keep track of your thoughts.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-10, 01:37 AM
I work with dogs all day, so most of my conversations actually go on with animals if it's a work day.
Oddly enough, some dogs understand what the heck I've said. My mom's dog, Sadie, I swear, understands English, so long as you say simple sentences. I don't think she'd understand hemmingway or anything, but it's kinda scary how much she knows what's going on.

SDF
2007-08-10, 01:51 AM
I talk at animals all the time, but not to them. It's sort of an excuse to talk to myself, I don't expect or wait for any kind of response or anything... I do that to people sometimes too. I kind of talk at them, but ignore them.

I work with dogs all day, so most of my conversations actually go on with animals if it's a work day.
Oddly enough, some dogs understand what the heck I've said. My mom's dog, Sadie, I swear, understands English, so long as you say simple sentences. I don't think she'd understand hemmingway or anything, but it's kinda scary how much she knows what's going on.

Do you work at a vet, or a groomer? I think working with (certain) animals would be enjoyable.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-10, 01:58 AM
Groomer. I was considering being a vet for a long time...but working with people all day long and explaining to them that their 'icky-little-boogerkins' is sick didn't sound like a great job after doing it a few years.
It's gross sometimes, but I love the job. I've been bit quite a few times, but luckily only by little dogs.
It's a wonderful job. Not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

Serpentine
2007-08-10, 02:11 AM
My Animal Behaviour lecturer told us that one of her dog's puppies did something wrong, so she punished it. Its mother came up, and looked at her, so she explained what the puppy had done. The dog then went and punished it.

Exachix
2007-08-10, 05:15 AM
Frequently.

It doesn't let you do it on IM clients though. (On all of them I add myself =D)

Rawhide
2007-08-10, 05:16 AM
Frequently.

It doesn't let you do it on IM clients though. (On all of them I add myself =D)

Odd, I've IMed myself, and received a reply.

Exachix
2007-08-10, 05:19 AM
Hmm.

Investigation shows X-fire lets me talk to myself. as does AIM.
MSN does not.

Eh well.

Rawhide
2007-08-10, 05:24 AM
Hmm.

Investigation shows X-fire lets me talk to myself. as does AIM.
MSN does not.

Eh well.

On ICQ it used to be impossible to add yourself by yourself. It took someone else to send you your own contact details to be able to add yourself. Anyone who did that though, was very cruel and malicious as it would corrupt your account and make it unusable.

Castaras
2007-08-10, 06:52 AM

Mocking your cat is loads of fun!

Cleo: *sits there, looking grumped*
Me: Mornin', grump.
Cleo: *grumps*
Me: *strokes* You're a dumb animal, what are you?
Cleo: *glares at me*
Me: Don't look at me like that!
Cleo: *Gets up and stalks off somewhere else*
Me: Yep, you're a dumb moglet.
Cleo: *Gives me a look that says "I'm a fully grown mog, thank you very much*
Me: Fine, be that way. :smalltongue:

On topic...yes, I've had a conversation with myself over AIM, because I was bored. No, I haven't pmed myself. Would be a waste of inbox space.

MountainKing
2007-08-10, 08:49 AM
I send myself email all the time; it's an easy way to access documents that I might need when I'm away from home.

On the side note, I think my favorite expirience with people talking to cats, was the time I was rather intoxicated, and my mate was walking me to the 24 hour diner for sober time. As we were walking (it's at around 10:30, 11 o'clock at night), we happen to come across a cat. It looks at me, and looks like it's about to bolt into the darkness, but Mike goes "Meow! Meow... meow... mreow meow... meow."

He then turns to me and says "I bet you didn't know that I can talk to cats." I said, "Well, what'dya say to it?" He replied "I said "Do not be afraid; this is Josh. I know he looks like he could eat you, but he is a tender beast, and he will not harm you."

Later that night, same walk, Mike and I are out of cigarettes. He says "Man, I could really go for a cigarette..." and suddenly stops, realising that I'm staring at the ground at his feet. Lo and behold, there was a pack of cigarettes in the street, just left there, and upon inspection, they were all fine. We took it as a sign from God, and that's why we haven't bothered quitting our filthy habit yet.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-10, 08:57 AM
I talk to all my animals like that. It's how they know their mommy loves them. :smallwink:

However, my friend started meowing back to my cat one time. Apparently that didn't go well and must have been poorly translated as my cat arched up and started hissing at him. Only time I had ever seen her do that. :smalleek:

However, my best friend also talks to inanimate objects. I've picked up talking to traffic lights and other cars like they can hear me, but leave the rest for her.
"Now you just stay in your lane like a good little sedan. And you, you turn green! Thank you mr.traffic light."

Castaras
2007-08-10, 09:04 AM
However, my best friend also talks to inanimate objects. I've picked up talking to traffic lights and other cars like they can hear me, but leave the rest for her.
"Now you just stay in your lane like a good little sedan. And you, you turn green! Thank you mr.traffic light."

Wait...talking to inanimate objects isn't a perfectly ordinary thing to do?! :smalleek:

That must be the reason my friends think I'm mad...:smallamused:

Mirin
2007-08-10, 09:06 AM
I have, when I have to send a difficult PM oder E-Mail to someone, don't have the time to finish it, cause it took longer than I thought to find the right words, plus am not sitting at home where I could just save the first attempt on a safe place on my computer. The solution is then to send me the text via Mail or PM, so that I can work on it later. Fortunately I don't have to send emotionally loaded Mails very often.

The second situation is when I want to test my avatar without making a useless post in the forum.

The third one is to send me a telefone number, e-mail, adresse or some sort of information. Cause if I write it on a piece of paper I will probably loose it, or forget about it, but if it is stored in my mail-box, I will find it. (yeah, pathetic, I know)

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 09:14 AM
My Animal Behaviour lecturer told us that one of her dog's puppies did something wrong, so she punished it. Its mother came up, and looked at her, so she explained what the puppy had done. The dog then went and punished it.

thats 'cuz if for example they knock down the garbage, and on a different occasion start playing in it, and both times you tell them not to, they start getting the connection between the word garbage and the garbage can. So if you had a puppy that likes playing in the garbage, and the mother didnt want it to, and you said the word garbage to the mother, she would probably get made at her puppy.

-ive sent a pm to myself when i wanted to be able to access a file in brasil, so i sent it to myself, so i could get to it on the internet.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-10, 09:24 AM

Was anything taken? Could it have been one of your friends?

Because that is really creepy.

For my evolution class back in Undergrad, I wrote a paper on how humans placed a directional evolutionary pressure on dogs to develop the ability to understand language, and other cues.

It was purposed that because wolves/dogs that were cuter, did more tricks for us, and understood better what we wanted, were more likely to get the scraps off our plates, and therefore were more likely to survive. It's an interesting idea as to why dogs understand us, but I have no doubt that they have some capability at understanding human language.

I know my cat understands some things at a basic level as well. Whether she is picking up on external clues, or what not, she can understand a good deal about what I am about to do.

Pyro
2007-08-10, 09:25 AM
I have, on occasion, sent a pm to myself.

cat: meow
me: meow
cat: meow meow
me: meow meow merow
cat: mraow
me: i kno-ow
cat: mew
me: yes, yes
cat: mew meow
me: it's hard being a kitty, isn't it?

Wow, deja vu. That is EXACTLY what my mom says when she talks to the cats.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-10, 09:53 AM
That person pretending to by you is really really creepy.

I have no doubt that Sandy, my cat, understood us perfectly fine. She was also amazing on just reading emotional cues. Whenever we were sick she would come up and act like a living heating pad on our chests.

My other critters don't have the same understanding and connection. Large snakes don't realize that your throat is something important, and not a good thing to constrict around. All they think is 'I'm climbing this odd, moving and living tree. [singsong voice] Climbing the tree. Climbing the tree. [/singsong voice] Tree seems to be having issues breathing... Aww. Tree fell down. [sing song voice] Crawling across the ground. Crawling across the ground...':smalltongue:

Though 'conversations' at the zoo are fun.
"You want me to come in there don't you. You want me to walk right in just so you can eat me. Yeah, that's right. You wonderful little mauler you. Awww, look at those big claws..."

Archonic Energy
2007-08-10, 10:11 AM
PMed myself: no.
E-mailed myself: all the time!
it lets me keep track of things i'd forget

Thes Hunter
2007-08-10, 10:21 AM
PMed myself: no.
E-mailed myself: all the time!
it lets me keep track of things i'd forget

I am currently backing up my thesis by emailing it to myself every night. :smallsmile:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-10, 10:47 AM
you have to love "infinate" storage limits on e-mail in-boxes...

i swear one of these days i'll send a hard drive image to myself to see if they really do allow "unlimited" storage space :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-10, 10:51 AM
you have to love "infinate" storage limits on e-mail in-boxes...

i swear one of these days i'll send a hard drive image to myself to see if they really do allow "unlimited" storage space :smallbiggrin:

My uni account is somewhat limited. I am sure they would notice if I had a couple terabytes sitting around.

Also, I know that the more I use the more likely they will notice I am not a student anymore, and start charging me. :smallfrown:

But I like it because unlike my machine those servers are backed up at least every night. So it's like a backup of my backup. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-10, 10:57 AM
i use Yahoo! E-mail it's handy because you can access it anywhere, and (as of earlier in the year) they give you an unlimited inbox...

like i say, one day i'll find out how they define "unlimited"

same as i have "Unlimited" broadband... which is capped at 150GB/month... now i just need 150ish good movies to download :smallwink:

Trog
2007-08-10, 10:58 AM

I do this as well with Thes' cat. But I also translate and reiterate her thoughts into english.

Trog: Who's a good kitty? *scritch scritch*
Cat: Quit scratchin me there. You're not doing it right. Like mama does it.
Trog: Such a good kitty *pet pet*
Cat: *Sigh* Are you still here? Don't you have my mama's time to monopolize or something?
Trog: You're being such a good kitty sitting here with me.
Cat: You're blocking my sun and I'm getting up now to poop in your shoe.

etc.

sktarq
2007-08-10, 01:39 PM
Talking to pets particularly cats. Constantly...I speak cat fluently and use it with other people regularly. Even had a GF with whom ONLY cat language would be spoken for days on end.

As for PM myself, such things hurt my head worse than falling blue armoured fighters.

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-11, 04:01 AM
Never PMed myself.

I've had a conversation with my turtle, Leo, which wasn't very exciting.

Me: Hey, Leo!
Leo: *Ducks under water* Which made a "Glorp!" sound.
Me: Fine be that way!
Leo: *Peeks over water, then ducks under again*
Me: Awww! I can't stay mad at you!
Leo: *Stays under water*
Me: ...

Also, with my friend's kitten.

Kitten: *Falls off of chair*
Me: You're a stupid kitten, aren't you?
Kitten: Meow.
Me: Silly kitty. *pets kitten*
Kitten: *purr*
Me: Wow, you purr easily.
Kitten: *Continues to purr.*
Me: You're boring.
Kitten: *Stops purring* Mrow?
Me: It understands English?!
Kitten: *Walks away*
Me: Yeah, you walk away like that, see if I care!
Kitten: *turns around momentarily, then continues to leave*

Shadow
2007-08-11, 04:30 AM
I send PMs to myself when I need to keep a list of roles for Werewolves handy. I have yet to have a discussion with myself, that's just kind of sad.I do the exact same thing, but with PM'd conversations, so that I have a record (for evidence if needed) and a list of Roles that I've figured out, etc.

Or if I want to contact numerous people to tell them all the same thing, but don't want them to know who the others are. It's easier to address it to myself and BCC everyone that needs to see it, rather than send four or five different PM's.

I also have a PM stored that has all the quotes and pix and stuff that I may or may not want to add to my sig, stuff like that.

Lord Herman
2007-08-11, 11:27 AM
I just got PMed by myself. Well, it was actually Akaziel, but he was using my avatar.

And so the chaos of Mistaken Identity Week begins.

Castaras
2007-08-11, 11:33 AM
Hehehe...:smallamused:

I'm still a-wondering who's going to be me, but I'll probably find out some time later...

Ah well.

Oh, and I had a nice little Xfire chat with myself a few days ago. Was very very bored...

EmeraldRose
2007-08-11, 11:35 AM
I PM myself occasionally. If I have a new avvie or a link I send to myself or something I need to remember. Then I have it there and remember it. :smallbiggrin: