PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew: Sorcerer's Kraken Bloodline

werescythe
2017-08-12, 10:13 PM
So I decided that I wanted to make a bloodline for Sorcerers that reflected the nature of the kraken and introduced a unique play style to the game. Below is what I have so far.

Please note that due to it being such a pain to go back and forth between my word document and several forums to make changes I decided to make things easier for myself and just put it all into a Gdoc and provide a link for you all to access.

Kraken Sorcerer Bloodline Link: Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1utulH9oTZYT0Wi0-oWtg3nXhl27Oyy5z7b-5pdNSDAo/edit).

If you have any constructive feedback on how to improve/balance this bloodline for sorcerers feel free to offer your suggestions below. :smallsmile:

Update 1 (8/14/17):

After some feedback I have made the following changes:
-The ability to expel ink in response to grappling is a reaction now.
-Agile Tentacles was lowered to a 1st level ability.
-The Wrath of the Kraken lasts only a minute now and no longer causes fatigue.

Things I am thinking about changing:
-Might adjust Agile Tentacles either to increase the sorcerer's health or to cast spells.:smallconfused: I was somewhat confused on this feedback myself so hopefully some more insight will help.
-There is also the thought that perhaps the tentacle hair can serve as an Arcane Focus.
-Might either change or buff Kraken's Fury.

Update 2 (8/25/17):
-Changed out Kraken's Rage for Destructive Aura (this needs some feedback so please help).
-Changed the effects of Kraken's Fury.
-Both changes were made to give the archtype of more kraken like feel.
-To see the abilities/stats check out the Gdoc link added in the main post.

---

Thank you all for your feedback. :smallsmile:

werescythe
2017-08-13, 06:41 PM
The rules for this homebrewed subclass have been edited and updated.

Hopefully someone will be willing to offer some feedback here.

rferries
2017-08-13, 09:20 PM
I'm not familiar with 5th edition, but do krakens have the wrath/fury abilities you mention here? If not, I feel like it would be better to focus on abilities that enhance the tentacle attacks. A very flavourful submission, nonetheless!

werescythe
2017-08-14, 01:13 AM
I'm not familiar with 5th edition, but do krakens have the wrath/fury abilities you mention here? If not, I feel like it would be better to focus on abilities that enhance the tentacle attacks. A very flavourful submission, nonetheless!

The Kraken's fury ability is actually modified from the ability the Kraken Priest possesses in the Volo's Guide.

Wrath of the Kraken was something that was added but made sense, considering the Kraken's behavior, or at least what I felt like matched its behavior going off of the Monster Manual's description.

Do you think that perhaps enhancing the damage dealt by the tendrils during the Kraken's Wrath would be balanced?

rferries
2017-08-14, 02:13 AM
The Kraken's fury ability is actually modified from the ability the Kraken Priest possesses in the Volo's Guide.

Wrath of the Kraken was something that was added but made sense, considering the Kraken's behavior, or at least what I felt like matched its behavior going off of the Monster Manual's description.

Do you think that perhaps enhancing the damage dealt by the tendrils during the Kraken's Wrath would be balanced?

Ah righto.

I won't comment on the balance since I don't know enough about 5th edition, but hopefully someone else will chime in! :)

clash
2017-08-14, 08:51 AM
So a couple things:

Kraken Blood: Probably fine. I would remove the ink ability and just give advantage against grapples.

The Kraken’s Wrath: The problem here is getting barbarian rage that lasts for an entire hour and you can cast spells in it. It also has annoying riders to balance it. This is usually a bad sign. I would remove the drawbacks and reduce the duration to 1 minute.

Agile Tentacles: See now you are balancing 2 abilities against 1 which gets tricky to balance. I think personally I would focus on the tentacles, make them spell attacks and drop the rage ability. Maybe give them some extra hp per level at level 1 to be a little bit sturdier in melee.

Inky Magic: Again there is too many details here. For 2 sorcery points I would just make the spell blind them if they fail the save.

Kraken’s Fury: Seems fine. DC should be your spells save dc. ie 8 + prof + cha

Oozelord
2017-08-14, 01:49 PM
Kraken Blood
At 1st level, you gain the Amphibious trait (if you didn’t already), which allows you to breath both air and water. For a bonus action, you can expel ink from your skin. Creatures that attempt to grapple you, while you are covered with the ink have disadvantage. The ink lasts for until the end of your next turn. If you are underwater, this instead creates in ink cloud that surrounds the sorcerer for 20 feet. Creatures within the cloud have their vision obscured and beings outside the cloud can’t see creatures within or on the other side of the cloud.*

Some nice flavourful effects. But tritons or other water based races gets very little from this. As water genasi and tritons already can breathe underwater. Maybe some other small bonus - like create or destroy water?

The Kraken’s Wrath
At 6th level, when you or any ally is dealt damage by an enemy creature you enter into a terrible rage. When in this rage, you gain the following traits:
• You have resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage.*
• You can’t cast spells that are; concentration, ritual or healing.*
• Spells you cast gain an increase to damage equal to your Charisma modifier.*
This rage lasts until: the perceived threat is defeated, you are knocked unconscious, or until a half hour has passed. Once your rage passes the sorcerer must perform a Constitution Saving Throw. If they fail they become exhausted and suffer disadvantage on Constitution checks and Strength checks, until you have completed a long rest. You can’t enter the rage until you have had a long rest.*

Hmm so you automatically enters the rage, or can you choose not to? And what's the saving throw dc?
Maybe give him voice of the kraken (from the kraken priest) and maybe give him resistance to damage caused by frightened creatures instead. I'm not sure if the current rage is working that well.

Agile Tentacles
At 6th level, you gain greater control over your tentacle “hair” allowing you to use them in combat. An attack from one of your tendrils does 1D4 + your Strength or Dexterity modifier bludgeoning damage. If you succeed in your attack, you may as a bonus action grapple the enemy you hit. You can’t do this while wearing a helmet.*

Your tendrils can manipulate items and attack creatures 10 feet away, but can only hold up to 10 pounds per every 2 points of Strength.

With such a strong LVL 6 ability (kraken wrath) and a rather weak 1st LVL ability ( combat wise) maybe put this one at LVL 1 as well?

Inky Magic
At 14th level, by spending 2 Sorcerer Points, your spells are imbued with ink. As the spell hits a creature, black ink splashes over them. Creatures hit by your spells must perform a Constitution saving throw, those who fail have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks related to sight. Those who fail by 5 or more, become blind for one minute. If you are underwater, this instead creates in ink cloud that surrounds the target that was hit by 10 feet. Creatures within the cloud have their vision obscured and beings outside the cloud can’t see creatures within or on the other side of the cloud. The ink cloud lasts until the end of your next turn.*

Kraken’s Fury
Beginning at 18th level, you can channel the dreaded presence of your kraken blood, making your words as fearsome as a kraken, which can be heard up to 50 feet. Creatures of the Sorcerer's choice who can hear the Sorcerer's words must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. The sorcerer can’t perform this ability again until after a Short rest or Long rest.

Maybe something else, I'm not sure frightened is that crazy by it self.

werescythe
2017-08-15, 12:33 AM
The bloodline has been improved. Thank you all for your feedback. :smallsmile:

werescythe
2017-08-21, 03:09 PM
If anyone else has any other feedback they would like to offer, please let me know.

werescythe
2017-08-25, 09:12 PM
I have edited the Kraken Bloodline document again. If you could look at that and offer some suggestions that would be great.