PDA

View Full Version : LOtR elf.

Storm Bringer
2007-08-10, 03:18 PM
Just a random thought, what racial stats and level adjustment would you give one of Tolkien's Elves? Just curious if it's been done, or has nobody had a go at LOtR d20?

horseboy
2007-08-10, 03:25 PM
Noldar: +10 Quickness, +10 Presence, +5 Empathy, +5 Agility, +5 Memory, -20 Self Discipline -1 save vs magic, +100 Disease, +10 poison

Sindar: +15 Qu, +15 Pr, +5 Em, +5 Ag, +5 Me, -20 SD, -1 save vs magic, +100 disease, +10 poison

Sylvan: +5 Qu, +5 Pr, +5 Em, +10 Ag, +5 Me, -20 SD, -1 save vs magic, +100 disease, +10 poison

In general, divide by 5, add to equivalent stats. Never understood LA to begin with, so I have no idea how to work that out.

Matthew
2007-08-10, 03:28 PM
Take a look in Homebrew at Thomas' Lord of the Rings conversions. They're pretty good:

Thomas' Nazgul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10746)
Thomas' Middle Earth Race Conversion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29359)

NakedCelt was doing a bit of a conversion over on Homebrew. I have a feeling that if you do a search in Homebrew you'll turn up a few other conversion attempts.

bosssmiley
2007-08-11, 07:45 AM
Google Faenaro's "Faces of Middle Earth". Gawp in awe at the brainwork he's put into adapting the Tolkein mythos to D&D.

Didn't this just come up a week ago though? :smallannoyed:

Matthew
2007-08-11, 08:06 AM
Hmmn. I tried googling those terms Bosssmiley, but it didn't turn up anything. Are you sure those are the right ones?

Dhavaer
2007-08-11, 08:07 AM
Hmmn. I tried googling those terms Bosssmiley, but it didn't turn up anything. Are you sure those are the right ones?

Same. I only got another thread here.

Inyssius Tor
2007-08-11, 02:07 PM
:smallannoyed:

After some searching, it appears that the main website is down for remodeling (http://www.danbrijbag.com/lounge/). You can still get at least some of it in PDF form at the above link, though.

Enzario
2007-08-11, 05:29 PM
Just thought I'd bring this up, since it seems kinda pertinent:
IIRC, the Rivendell elves actually are half-elves (this is by the books), and those in <insert name of that one forest here> are full-blooded. Not sure if that changes anything, but thought I'd bring it up.

Jack Mann
2007-08-11, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it was only Elrond who was half-elf.

vrellum
2007-08-11, 05:34 PM
Yeah, it was only Elrond. But the way I understand it, Elrond was a full (half-)elf. He had to make a choice at some point in his life whether to walk the path of the elves or the path of the humans. He chose elf and he was basically an elf. His brother chose human and was basically a human.

Smiley_
2007-08-11, 05:42 PM
Just thought I'd bring this up, since it seems kinda pertinent:
IIRC, the Rivendell elves actually are half-elves (this is by the books), and those in <insert name of that one forest here> are full-blooded. Not sure if that changes anything, but thought I'd bring it up.

I would like to note that only Elrond was half-elven. The rest were high elves. This brings to note that there are at least 5 diferent types of elves Tolkien thought up

High elves
Wood elves
Sun elves
Sea elves
and Fire elves

In the trilogy, only the first two are described as the High elves of Rivendell and the Wood elves of Mirkwood. I suspect that the Lothlorien elves were sun-elves, but I can't remember if it said what type in the books.

Matthew
2007-08-11, 05:51 PM
Actually, strictly speaking, not even Erond was Half Elven by blood, as he was descended from Melian the Maia, not to mention a number of other mixed blood ancestors.

bosssmiley
2007-08-12, 09:26 AM
^-- *Gakh!* Ninja'ed. :smalleek:

I would like to note that only Elrond was half-elven. The rest were high elves. This brings to note that there are at least 5 diferent types of elves Tolkien thought up

High elves
Wood elves
Sun elves
Sea elves
and Fire elves

In the trilogy, only the first two are described as the High elves of Rivendell and the Wood elves of Mirkwood. I suspect that the Lothlorien elves were sun-elves, but I can't remember if it said what type in the books.

You might want to check your "Silmarillion" there Smiley_ (cool name btw :smallwink: ). According to pg 309 Tolkein divided his Elves as follows:

Eldar (Elves of the Great Journey from Cuivienen)
- Vanyar (Fair Elves, inc. Ingwe, Olwe, etc.)
- Noldor (Deep Elves, eg: Faenor, Galadriel, etc.)
- Teleri ("Those who tarried")
-- Falmari (Sea Elves of Aman, Olwe, Thingol, Cirdan)

All the above are considered Calaquendi, "Elves of the Light" or High Elves. Having come to Aman in the days of the Two Trees

-Teleri
-- Sindar (Grey Elves of Beleriand)
-- Nandor (Forest Elves living east of the Ered Luin, eg: Legolas)
---Laiquendi (Green Elves of Ossiriand, those Nandor who moved to Beleriand)

Avari (The Unwilling, who refused to make the Great Journey)

Sindar, Nandor, Laiquendi and Avari are all considered Moriquendi, "Elves of the Darkness". Having never seen the light of the Two Trees.

As a side noter. Tolkiens names six instances of half-elves, all of whom were people of great significance in the histories.

Luthien (daughter of Thingol and the Maiar demi-goddess Melian)
Dior (son of Beren and Luthien)
Earendil (son of Idril and Tuor)
Elrond & Elros (sons of Earendil and Elwing)
Eldarion (son of Aragorn and Arwen)
You're right in mentioning that only Elrond is still active during the LOTR story.

:smallannoyed:

After some searching, it appears that the main website is down for remodeling (http://www.danbrijbag.com/lounge/). You can still get at least some of it in PDF form at the above link, though.

Thanks for the catch there Inyssius Tor. Not the first time for it either, is it? :smallamused:

2007-08-12, 09:37 AM
It wouldn't be fair to have a Tolkien elf in a D&D game. Tolkien elves are the master race. Everything the other races do they do better (except maybe breed like humans. The only thing that keeps them from ruling the world is their silly ennui thing they've got going on.

skyclad
2007-09-11, 09:55 AM
Noldar: +10 Quickness, +10 Presence, +5 Empathy, +5 Agility, +5 Memory, -20 Self Discipline -1 save vs magic, +100 Disease, +10 poison

Sindar: +15 Qu, +15 Pr, +5 Em, +5 Ag, +5 Me, -20 SD, -1 save vs magic, +100 disease, +10 poison

Sylvan: +5 Qu, +5 Pr, +5 Em, +10 Ag, +5 Me, -20 SD, -1 save vs magic, +100 disease, +10 poison

In general, divide by 5, add to equivalent stats. Never understood LA to begin with, so I have no idea how to work that out.

Why are Sindar better than the Noldor? It says in the Sil that the Noldor surpassed the Sindar by as much as the Sindar surpassed men, which is to say a LOT.

yes I bumped for something silly like this.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-11, 11:10 AM
Although Elrond, and his brother (Eomas) chose the paths of each race, little snippets of their "other half" slipped through. Which is why Eomas still managed to live healthily for about five centuries, even though he chose to embrace his human half.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-11, 11:31 AM
Well, I do have a 4th age LotR D20 conversion in the homebrew (check my sig), but I did have differing views from many others. And I only included Grey Elves, no Light Elves.

Matthew
2007-09-11, 11:52 AM
Although Elrond, and his brother (Eomas) chose the paths of each race, little snippets of their "other half" slipped through. Which is why Eomas still managed to live healthily for about five centuries, even though he chose to embrace his human half.

Eomas? Do you mean Elros?

horseboy
2007-09-11, 12:59 PM
Why are Sindar better than the Noldor? It says in the Sil that the Noldor surpassed the Sindar by as much as the Sindar surpassed men, which is to say a LOT.

yes I bumped for something silly like this.

Iduntknow. You'd have to ask I.C.E. Course, that then begs the question, what did he mean my surpass? Considering the works of Feanor and his family, that's setting the bar pretty high.

skyclad
2007-09-11, 08:41 PM
Iduntknow. You'd have to ask I.C.E. Course, that then begs the question, what did he mean my surpass? Considering the works of Feanor and his family, that's setting the bar pretty high.

Well 'Power' is rather abstract in the Tolkien universe... It's hard to say. He probably meant that they are more caring (thingol was a major jackass throughout the Sil), stronger, smarter, wiser, etc... I don't remeber the exact quote from the sil.