PDA

View Full Version : Fighting high level magic characters

Richard369
2017-08-20, 03:27 PM
This may have been posted already but I tried to scroll through hundreds of posts with keywords and came up short.

I'm just looking for suggestions on how to add some decent competition to my players, who are mostly high level spellcasters. (Level 17, one bard, one warlock, one cleric, one paladin and two non-magic characters).

I keep thinking just making them fight NPCs with class levels for spells like anti-magic field and counterspell.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Gratzi.

rs2excelsior
2017-08-20, 03:32 PM
You might want to put this in the subforum for the particular edition you're playing in. Without that information, specifics are hard to give.

But yes, generally other spellcasters are the best way to deal with spellcasters. Alternatively golems, they're flat out immune to magic, at least in Pathfinder.

icefractal
2017-08-20, 08:21 PM
Golems aren't good unless they're intelligent or have someone directly controlling them though. Immune to magic or not, it's pretty easy for casters to deal with a mindless adversary that can't fly. For one thing, illusions pretty much wreck them.

If it does have someone controlling it though, a Prismatic Golem is pretty nasty.

Edit: Now that I look at the composition of your party, the Cleric is the only full caster there. They could still be a plenty potent group, especially if optimized, but we're not talking about a total "can do anything" situation here. Probably just bumping up the CR you're throwing at them, and making sure to use enemies that aren't shut down too easily (non-flying foes with no ranged attack, for instance) should work.

Darth Ultron
2017-08-20, 08:24 PM
It does depend on your game style.

1.DM vs. Player Rules Fight Well, if your into this type of game you need to break out the rule books and look through them for loopholes, notes, exploits and things you can use. Then you just need to ''use the rules'' to one up the players and show them you ''know'' the rules better. Like if your using 3.5E D&D, the PC's might use True Seeing a lot to 'see through' everything....but you can ''Trump '' them by having foes use bright blinding light to stop sight, and not darkness.

2.Old School You can just say whatever, and whatever you say IS.

And it depends on if you want to just engage the Pc's in combat or make the game more of a challenge over all.

Psikerlord
2017-08-21, 06:51 PM
Restart a new campaign. It will be more fun ime.

RazorChain
2017-08-21, 07:55 PM
Well I guess now it's time to bring out the demon princes and the demigods.

Samzat
2017-08-21, 08:10 PM
Spell resistant? Giants too big to be ****ed by movement impairing debuffs? Another wizard with flight and counterspell? Something that can evade the tanks to get at the squishy caster flesh in the second line?

Fable Wright
2017-08-22, 09:05 AM
Assuming 5th edition, as you're calling a warlock and a bard full casters, the answer lies in attrition and challenges that require them to burn precious high level slots to even get in the area. If they have to use Demiplane to visit the secret stronghold of the lich, then that's one less 8th level slot to deal with, for example.

Jay R
2017-08-22, 10:45 AM
For any party, on any level, this approach (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0043.html) leads to a balanced, challenging encounter.

Dunh dunh DUNNNH!!!