PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Supernatural Flair - a framework for expressing your (magical) self

zeek0
2017-08-21, 06:13 AM
Don't you want to express yourself?

Here's a framework I've put together. It's aimed toward helping you and your players to brainstorm, reflavoring or simply adding some flash to your supernatural abilities.

Link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfCiPA2FPFAeWZ4MWZBOGZnVFE/view)

I'd enjoy some feedback about the categories - let me know if it leaves anything out, or if you can imagine a better organization. Thanks!

Pyre_Born
2017-08-22, 11:24 PM
I like it. I've had various newer (and sometimes "veteran") players, when I ask them about their spell casting, just say "I wave my hands, mutter a few words, and a ball of fire explodes". More than often it turns out that those players just didn't realize they could personalize their spellcasting as long as it wasn't rule changing. So I'll probably point some players to this as a handout.

The only thing I might add, would be in the sight category, something as simple as mentioning a personalized color change or stylized design. It may seem common to some, but I know a few players who were surprised when a blue firebolt came at them, or the magic missiles looked like skulls :p

zeek0
2017-08-25, 02:04 AM
I like it. I've had various newer (and sometimes "veteran") players, when I ask them about their spell casting, just say "I wave my hands, mutter a few words, and a ball of fire explodes". More than often it turns out that those players just didn't realize they could personalize their spellcasting as long as it wasn't rule changing. So I'll probably point some players to this as a handout.

The only thing I might add, would be in the sight category, something as simple as mentioning a personalized color change or stylized design. It may seem common to some, but I know a few players who were surprised when a blue firebolt came at them, or the magic missiles looked like skulls :p

I'll add in a bit about color - that's an important visual flair. Thanks!