PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other A quick Metamagic Feat

Westhart
2017-08-21, 08:18 AM
This was made while I was AFB, so if there is a feat that does the same then my bad!
With a major overhaul by Morphic Tide, here it is:
Feeding Spell [Metamagic]
Requirements: Con 13, Fort save +4, ability to cast 2nd level spells.
Benefit: You can alter a spell to absorb magic from those affected by it. Targets of a Feeding Spell are subjected to a Dispel Magic effect, with the caster gaining 1d6 HP for each spell level dispelled by it. If the spell successfully affects only one target, use the Targeted Dispel rules, as mentioned in the Dispel Magic spell discription. If it successfully affects several, use the Area Dispel rules. A feeding spell uses a spell slot one level higher than normal.

rferries
2017-08-21, 02:27 PM
This was made while I was AFB, so if there is a feat that does the same then my bad!
Thinking should be 3 higher instead of 4... but here it is:

Spell Feeder [metamagic]
Requirements: Any three metamagic feats.
Benefits: Whenever you cast an offensive spell (defined here as a spell that causes hp loss, negative levels, ability damage, negative status effects or similar effects) the target is subjected to a greater dispel magic (Area effect if an area spell, while targeted for a ray etc). You heal 2d6 points of damage per spell level dispelled, and any extra is gained as temporary HP. A Spell modified with this feat takes up a slot 4 levels higher.

On the one hand this is duplicating a 6th-level spell (plus the nifty healing), on the other hand it's a very niche ability - great against enemy spellcasters but not very helpful against most monsters. I'd rate it as a +3 or even +2.

Westhart
2017-08-22, 06:59 AM
hmm, dropped it to a +3 mostly for being used against PC's "Buffer bane" XD
Maybe make it regular dispel magic and a +2?

rferries
2017-08-22, 06:58 PM
hmm, dropped it to a +3 mostly for being used against PC's "Buffer bane" XD
Maybe make it regular dispel magic and a +2?

Since you'd generally use it near the start of combat (to strip off the buffs the enemy prepared in advance) the healing won't be too useful (you probably aren't that low on hp so early in combat). +2 should be fine, with or without the hp effect.

Morphic tide
2017-08-22, 07:24 PM
Okay, let me make my biggest issue apparent: Three metamagic feats as the prerequisite. No. That makes it so only full casters will ever use the thing. Which is a big no in my book. They already have enough going for them, they don't need more tools. This should be a tool for Gish classes, given the healing involved, but four feats is far too much. Yes, the feat is strong, but I'd rather have a weaker feat that people with use for it will actually use than a strong one that will only see use by the classes with least need of it.

Here's a version that would satisfy me(wording changed to better reflect normal wording conventions):

Feeding Spell [Metamagic]
Requirements: Con 13, Fort save +4, ability to cast 2nd level spells.
Benefit: You can alter a spell to absorb magic from those affected by it. Targets of a Feeding Spell are subjected to a Dispel Magic effect, with the caster gaining 1d6 HP for each spell level dispelled by it. If the spell successfully affects only one target, use the Targeted Dispel rules, as mentioned in the Dispel Magic spell discription. If it successfully affects several, use the Area Dispel rules. A feeding spell uses a spell slot one level higher than normal.

---

In reality, I'd actually set it up as a tree of metamagic feats that add on to the same core function, that function being the Dispel Magic component. Some metamagic really work well as a feat tree. Like Empower Spell. Why not just have Maximize be the ability to apply Empower multiple times? Energy Admixture as a modifier for Empower that doesn't alter spell level would also make sense. Easy Metamagic becomes really good when you have large trees of metamagic feats that apply effects to one option for Easy Metamagic. And if Maximize is just Empowering multiple times, well, Easy Metamagic reduces it by one each time.

Oh, and the reason for requiring the ability to cast 2nd level spells is to prevent using it super-early and make some classes wait until later on to use it in e6. It also keeps it out of easy dip territory for, say, Warlocks. Because converting Invocation effects into health is a problem with this, and forcing them to take three levels for access instead of one is a good thing for me. The save prerequisite is there to delay it for full casters until at least level 4(Why the **** does the Druid have a strong Fort save? **** your **** balance, WotC), 12th for the bad-Fort classes, who shouldn't be getting hit in the first place.

I removed the temp HP overflow because it makes it so you have nothing to lose tossing out one of these at the start of a fight. It doesn't even have a clause to make you have any need of using actual spells on it instead of just cantrip spam. Remember, it's giving effects of a 3rd level spell, and healing. The only reason I'd ever consider making it a +1 metamagic are the feat cost and situational use of the spell. Well, that, and the fact that it's indiscriminate. And uses a far-inferior setup when multiple targets have been affected by the spell it's attached to, with clerification that it's about the targets actually affected. So if the Fireball only damages one target, you get Targeted Dispel. If it damages two or more, it uses Area Dispel on the whole lot.

Westhart
2017-08-23, 08:47 AM
Hmm, yes these are some good points and when I finish my current projects I may very well design a feat tree for this, but going to use your version of the feat, thanks!