PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing the Arcane Mages

Ser Loras
2017-08-25, 11:28 AM
I've an idea for a character, multiclassing based on the history of their magician career. They start off as a Sorceror, and having a natural affinity for magic they eventually elect to deepen their understanding of magic by studying as a Wizard, advancing as a Wizard until they become powerful enough to cast a ritual to commune with...something, doesn't matter what for purposes of the fluff...to become a Warlock.

From Sorceror, to Wizard, to Warlock, in that order.

How many classes should this character take in each before moving on, and which type of Sorceror/Wizard (School)/Warlock (Patron) should they be? :)

EDIT: Forget to mention, suggestions for a Race would be fun to hear as well!

Koren
2017-08-25, 12:43 PM
Sorc and Lock work really well together in general from what I hear but be really careful about what you pick up with Wizard since it plays off of Intelligence instead of Charisma.

Biggest thing I realized when looking into multiclassing is look at each class and figure out what features you want. For example if all you want from Sorcerer is the Origin, maybe consider jumping to Wizard after the first level. Since they're all spellcasters keep in mind where each class picks up the next level of spells as well, you won't be able to learn spells of a level higher than any one of your classes can individually. That basically means level 9 and maybe even 8 spells are not going to happen for you.

Scathain
2017-08-25, 11:58 PM
Your spells will be hampered by the heavy MC, but that fluff is dope, so let's do this.

Shadow sorcerer makes an excellent dip, likewise Draconic shores up some defenses. If you're trying to make this MC work though, I'd go at least 3 for sorcery points. Maybe four for ASI.

As for wizard, the most powerful dip is at level 2. Abjuration, Divination, Evocation stand out to me. If you stick to only two levels, you don't need a crazy high Int. Just focus on utility and ritual spells (which wizard has plenty of). Feel free to go more, my favorite level 6 wizard ability is hands down Necromancy.

Warlock brings it back around with its synergy with Sorcerer. Short rest spell slots will add to the extreme versatility of this character, even if it is lacking high level spells. If you want to become the cantrip master, pick pact of the tome. If you went Bladesinger Wizard, you could pick up pact of the blade for a more melee feel, but that would require a decent Dex.
EDIT: honestly, the patron matters little. I'd pick it based on fluff.

My vote though? Shadow sorcerer1-3, Divination wizard2, Goolock tome pact X. You were born with a stain on your soul, which led you to studying how to pierce the multiverse with magic...which then led you straight into a pact with Nyarlathotep. Magic is fun.

Honest Tiefling
2017-08-26, 12:03 AM
Well, I might be biased, but I think the Tiefling is a good race for this concept thematically. Tieflings, from the touch of the planes, have an innate connection to magical powers. Deepening this connection and their understanding of it to eventually contact the plane of devils does make sense. Bladesinger however, requires elf, so if you go that route take everything I said and replace any mention of fiendish stuff with fey stuff. Given your avatar, that might be preferential.

They have both CHA/INT, which will...Help slightly with the stat spread. Sorcerer/Warlock can be good, is there any way I could convince you to take Arcana and pump your INT slightly rather then take levels of wizard?

Scathain
2017-08-26, 03:44 AM
Well, I might be biased, but I think the Tiefling is a good race for this concept thematically. Tieflings, from the touch of the planes, have an innate connection to magical powers. Deepening this connection and their understanding of it to eventually contact the plane of devils does make sense. Bladesinger however, requires elf, so if you go that route take everything I said and replace any mention of fiendish stuff with fey stuff. Given your avatar, that might be preferential.

They have both CHA/INT, which will...Help slightly with the stat spread. Sorcerer/Warlock can be good, is there any way I could convince you to take Arcana and pump your INT slightly rather then take levels of wizard?

Tiefling is absolutely a classic choice for this build. If you have Volo's, Yuan-ti is a strong choice. Magic Resistance and a free cantrip? Perfect for the "Ultimate Magus".

Lombra
2017-08-26, 04:15 AM
From my understanding of the flavor of the OP: either you take few levels of sorc, then a lot of wiz, and keep going lock until the end, or, it seems that mechanically you want to reach that warlock spell that lets you communicate with your patron, in which case a lot of warlock levels are required.

Vingelot
2017-08-26, 04:30 AM
From my understanding of the flavor of the OP: either you take few levels of sorc, then a lot of wiz, and keep going lock until the end, or, it seems that mechanically you want to reach that warlock spell that lets you communicate with your patron, in which case a lot of warlock levels are required.

The way I read it, he wanted to reach a wizard spell that let him talk to any big entity, then sell it his soul to become a warlock.

Lombra
2017-08-26, 04:48 AM
The way I read it, he wanted to reach a wizard spell that let him talk to any big entity, then sell it his soul to become a warlock.

Which is my first hypotesis, something like: few levels in sorc, 9 in wizard for contact other plane, and the rest in warlock, the patron would depend on the contact that you made.

Moredhel24
2017-08-26, 10:04 PM
Warlock brings it back around with its synergy with Sorcerer. Short rest spell slots will add to the extreme versatility of this character, even if it is lacking high level spells. If you want to become the cantrip master, pick pact of the tome.

just got an idea fluff wise. The book of shadows granted by pact of the tome could've originally been the OP's wizard spell book, enchanted by the boon granted by patron. Not sure if this would be allowed RAW/RAI or even how to pull it off mechanically.

Scathain
2017-08-26, 10:48 PM
just got an idea fluff wise. The book of shadows granted by pact of the tome could've originally been the OP's wizard spell book, enchanted by the boon granted by patron. Not sure if this would be allowed RAW/RAI or even how to pull it off mechanically.

I don't see why I wouldn't allow it as a DM. I always imagine spellbooks as pounds of loose vellum paper shoved into a dusty moth-eaten tome, so I don't see why you couldn't combine the two.

Ser Loras
2017-08-27, 05:25 AM
These ideas are awesome! Thank you guys!

Yeah, the Pact of the Tome/Spellbook crossover makes for interesting fluff. Another variation on the idea in my OP, to capitalise on that, would be to start as a Warlock - the character taps into the secrets of magic first by selling their soul (or whatever) to a Patron, then, having begun to understand the basics of magic through their Pact, use their Book of Shadows gained at level 3 to become a wizard. That option cuts off Sorceror levels, potentially, unless you say something like...They have Fey or Fiendish ancestry, and they sought out the Fey or Fiends in search of more power, leading to Warlock, leading eventually to Wizard blah blah blah.

I'm going to have to actually try to draw up a character like this now hahaha :D

Vingelot
2017-08-27, 12:33 PM

That's a very good idea indeed! You could also make it so that the patron gives the wizard a "new, more powerful" spellbook, and the wizard actually wants to remain a wizard and falls into the patrons clutches. Only after relying on the book of shadows extensively does he realize that he has in fact become a warlock etc.

Scathain
2017-08-27, 08:15 PM
That's a very good idea indeed! You could also make it so that the patron gives the wizard a "new, more powerful" spellbook, and the wizard actually wants to remain a wizard and falls into the patrons clutches. Only after relying on the book of shadows extensively does he realize that he has in fact become a warlock etc.

On top of that, a quick dip into warlock isn't terrible for a Wizard, just makes it a little MAD. Armor of shadows + abjurer gives unlimited source of temporary hit points.
For added fluff, go cloistered scholar background from SCAG. Be on the mission to find THE most priceless tome!

Sans.
2017-08-28, 02:35 PM
Evocation Wizard. Rain pyrotechnical death while somehow missing all your allies.