PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sword and Dagger (Fencing) Fighting Style

Waker of Winds
2017-08-25, 12:12 PM
Here is my take on a more flavorful defensive Fighting Style option for the ranger (though I would allow other classes with the Fighting Style feature to use it as well).

Fighting Style: Fencing
While wielding a dagger in one hand and any one handed melee weapon in the other, gain a +1 bonus to AC. Additionally, when a creature attempts to hit you with a melee attack and misses, you may use your reaction to make a single melee attack against that creature with a dagger while you are wielding only a dagger and a one handed melee weapon.

My main issue with this style so far is that one would not be able to use the dagger attack reaction and the Defensive Duelist feat's reaction in tandem. To remedy this, I would change the dagger attack from a reaction to a bonus action that would take place on the player's next turn.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is deciding which kind of action the dagger attack should be. I am also wondering if Fencing should be limited to only finesse weapons, and/or only non-heavy armor.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 05:32 PM
It's strictly better than Defensive, and stacks with it. Admittedly, not as well as a shield stacks with it.

I'd be concerned about AC pumping Rogues using this (one level dip into Fighter for Second Wind and a Fighting Style, maybe 2 for Action Surge, then Rogue straight down) since that effectively DOUBLES their DPR, but since it has to be a miss...

If you want to use both Defensive Duelist and this, I think it's okay that they do not stack. It's a choice-be more defensive (and lose out on a chance to hit) or be more aggressive (which is a risk-you might take a hit and gain nothing, but if they DO miss, you get a free swing).

GalacticAxekick
2017-08-25, 06:25 PM
I'd split this into two changes.

I'd edit the Defensive Duelist feat so it offers both the parry reaction and a new riposte reaction: one melee attack against a creature that misses you.

Then I'd add a Main-Gauche fighting style that allows you to make one additional reaction as a bonus action, on the condition that it uses a light weapon (effectively no stronger than TWF when used to make an extra opportunity attack)

Together, they let you parry with a dagger then riposte with a rapier. You could also dodge and riposte twice, or attack and parry twice, combining offense and defense in a variety of ways.

Waker of Winds
2017-08-25, 06:32 PM
It's strictly better than Defensive, and stacks with it. Admittedly, not as well as a shield stacks with it.

I'd be concerned about AC pumping Rogues using this (one level dip into Fighter for Second Wind and a Fighting Style, maybe 2 for Action Surge, then Rogue straight down) since that effectively DOUBLES their DPR, but since it has to be a miss...

If you want to use both Defensive Duelist and this, I think it's okay that they do not stack. It's a choice-be more defensive (and lose out on a chance to hit) or be more aggressive (which is a risk-you might take a hit and gain nothing, but if they DO miss, you get a free swing).

I see what you mean about Rogue multiclassers, but I'm not expecting much exploitation from my players, though I know a lot of DMs do have to worry about that sort of thing. I also agree with you about this not stacking with Defensive Duelist.

I'm not too worried about it being better than Defense. They do each give +1, to AC, but Defense gives the bonus regardless of which weapons you're using, where Fencing requires sword and dagger. A level 1 fighter with chain mail, a shield, and Defense would have 19 AC, where a level 1 fighter with Fencing would only have 17. I think the two extra points to AC that a defense fighter (with a shield) gets is about equal to the extra dagger damage that a Fencing fighter would get, but I guess it's hard to know without playtesting. I do want to keep this as balanced as possible, so do you think it would help to put a penalty on the dagger attack? Like disadvantage or no damage modifier?

Thank you for the feedback :)

Waker of Winds
2017-08-25, 06:42 PM
I'd split this into two changes.

I'd edit the Defensive Duelist feat so it offers both the parry reaction and a new riposte reaction: one melee attack against a creature that misses you.

Then I'd add a Main-Gauche fighting style that allows you to make one additional reaction as a bonus action, on the condition that it uses a light weapon (effectively no stronger than TWF when used to make an extra opportunity attack)

Together, they let you parry with a dagger then riposte with a rapier. You could also dodge and riposte twice, or attack and parry twice, combining offense and defense in a variety of ways.

That kind of flexibility does sound really fun. My concern is that the Main-Gauche fighting style would only really be useful when used with the modified Defensive Duelist feat (and when used with that feat, it might be a tad overpowered). I'll definitely think about it, though. Disregarding possible balance issues, this just sounds so fun to play :)

Thanks for your feedback.

GalacticAxekick
2017-08-25, 06:53 PM
That kind of flexibility does sound really fun. My concern is that the Main-Gauche fighting style would only really be useful when used with the modified Defensive Duelist feat (and when used with that feat, it might be a tad overpowered). I'll definitely think about it, though. Disregarding possible balance issues, this just sounds so fun to play :)

Thanks for your feedback. MG would be just as strong as the TWF style assuming you use two light weapons and make that extra opportunity attack. The power to use a non-light weapon for your Attack action and one of the opportunity attacks helps make up for the uncertainty of the attacks being provoked, I think.

My pleasure!