PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Homebrew] A Completely Non-Vancian Ranger (Plus Trapper Archetype) [PEACH]

mikalsaltveit
2017-08-28, 01:57 PM
HysfVod_b

If you have trouble getting to the page, its at the homebrewery, and that code above is the ID

Here is a completely non-vancian ranger I just finished designing. I hope to get a chance to play it this weekend at a game, and I would love some feedback on balance.

Also, does it sound right for a ranger? I really wanted to focus the class a bit more on nature, without any of the vancian issues that makes the ranger currently unplayable (*for me*). I based much of the chassis on the Barbarian, as I see the ranger as a tougher and more wild character than a trained fighter.

I would also appreciate feedback on the "Wild Trappers" subclass. I conceived of traps as a mixture of cantrip damage and battlefield control. Because this archetype lacks things like extra damage, and the class as a whole lacks any meaningful way to deal decent DPR, the damage for traps may seem a bit high. But it is important to note that creatures often have better saving throws than they do armor. Making it 70% to hit a kobold with a sword, but 50% to hit it with one of these traps.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-29, 10:51 AM
Feel like the damage on Hunter's Instincts should just be tied to proficiency bonus, could you tell me why you have the damage calculated this way?

Survivor Endurance seems a bit strong. Ignoring exhaustion levels can give you alot of freedom. I wouldn't say ignore 3 but 2 would probably be fine. It might not even be an issue for most people though. 3 wouldn't be op.

I see you moved Primeval Awareness to a later level, and made it so a ranger could sense anything out of the ordinary 'beast humanoid monstrosity' of the woods. Not sure how i feel about this, but its not bad i think.

Besides these things i think its ok. Not sure if I would use it over the Revised Ranger, or Kan0's ranger.

I actually like the Trap archetype for a ranger, makes more sense then almost any other class (rogue maybe could argue for ) and this base class doesn't do any real damage till later levels. I will say that the preparing mechanics are very....wonky. Had to read it several times to understand. Would recommend finding a simpler solution.

mikalsaltveit
2017-08-31, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Since Hunter's Instinct is on any damage, I want to limit the potential multiclassing abuse. I know its an optional rule, but I allow it in my games, and so if I offer this to my players it has to be balanced around multiclassing. Tieing it to ranger level / wisdom mod means that a ranger benefits most from sticking with ranger levels and maxing wisdom.

You don't ignore exhaustion forever, and you still restore at the same rate. So once your down at level 13, your still dead. I wanted the ranger to be able to
- Forced march
- Go without food
- Go without drink

For at least 1 day without consequence. Then again, when does this come up? Other commenters say its useless.

I've re-written traps. Still balancing how many and what they do, but its short-rest based trap points now for special traps, and infinite of the alarm / snare traps.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-01, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Since Hunter's Instinct is on any damage, I want to limit the potential multiclassing abuse. I know its an optional rule, but I allow it in my games, and so if I offer this to my players it has to be balanced around multiclassing. Tieing it to ranger level / wisdom mod means that a ranger benefits most from sticking with ranger levels and maxing wisdom.

You don't ignore exhaustion forever, and you still restore at the same rate. So once your down at level 13, your still dead. I wanted the ranger to be able to
- Forced march
- Go without food
- Go without drink

For at least 1 day without consequence. Then again, when does this come up? Other commenters say its useless.

I've re-written traps. Still balancing how many and what they do, but its short-rest based trap points now for special traps, and infinite of the alarm / snare traps.

Ok so the issue I'm having with it is that it scales weirdly because of it being the lowest of two different values. If you want it to balance against multiclassing you can just stick it to ranger levels and leave wisdom out of it, as is you seem to be looking for an excuse to make wisdom a high in demand stat, potentially making you as MAD as a monk.

I think the revised ranger has natural explorer or something that accomplishes your goal without giving exhaustion level immunity..

I'lol have to look at the trap changes but I did like them when I read them last. Just confusing wording at a glance, need to make it easier to read.