PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Subclass) Druidic Circle of Gravity

Kovaud
2017-08-30, 04:16 PM
Circle of Gravity
The Circle of Gravity is made up of those druids who wish to gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces that drive the universe and they hope to become one with these forces. Since after all gravity is a force of nature and one of the more prevalent forces.
Gravity Hand
When choosing this circle at second level you gain a modified version of the mage hand cantrip. This does not count toward the number of cantrips you know. The mage hand does what it usually does but also gains the following effects:
Your hands weight capacity is determined by 10 times your wisdom modifier in pounds.
You can take an action and make a melee spell attack with it which does 1d10 force damage upon a hit. The damage increases when you reach higher levels: 2d10 at 5th level, 3d10 at 11th level and 4d10 at 17th level.
You can take an action to make a grapple check with the gravity hand with a DC 11 (DC 13 at level 5, DC 15 at level 11, DC 17 at level 17). On success the hand will grapple the target, in subsequent rounds you may spend your bonus action to cause the hand to continue the grapple and your action to either attack the grappled target or drag the target 15 feet
Graviton Leap
When choosing this circle at 2nd level your jump height is doubled and you have advantage on acrobatics checks as you have learned to manipulate gravity in a variety of ways.
Force Fall
When you reach 6th level you have expanded your mastery of the forces of gravity and are now permanently considered under the effects of the feather fall spell. You can switch this on and off at will. In addition to this you can choose up to 2 other creatures in a 60ft radius that you can see and cause their fall speed to be doubled and due to this they take double damage from any falls they take.
Crushing Gravity
Upon arriving at 10th level you are now able to cause gravity to intensify and crush down in a radius of 15ft. Any creature in this field has its movement reduced to 10ft. Any creature entering or starting their turn in this field must make a constitution saving throw taking 8d8 force damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one. This field lasts for one minute and can only be used once per long rest.
Freed from Gravity
At 14th level after you have become fully in tune with the world’s gravitational forces you gain a fly speed of 30ft and if you already have a fly speed (Ex. wild shaped into an eagle) you add 30ft to your original fly speed. Additionally the forces of gravity have imbued you with the ability to cast the reverse gravity spell once per long rest without requiring a 7th level spell slot and any of the material components.

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 07:33 AM
Gravity Hand
- Half your Wisdom Modifier what rounded down? Hours, minutes, Rounds?
- This needs to have a rule in there that it cannot be used for grappling or grasping enemies as it makes Grasping Hand pointless then.
- The damage progression doesn't use the normal damage mods and levels, but I assume that this is on purpose but I'm not sure why.

I'm trying with the rest, but am not all that great with higher tiers.

Kovaud
2017-08-31, 09:00 AM
Gravity Hand
- Half your Wisdom Modifier what rounded down? Hours, minutes, Rounds?
- This needs to have a rule in there that it cannot be used for grappling or grasping enemies as it makes Grasping Hand pointless then.
- The damage progression doesn't use the normal damage mods and levels, but I assume that this is on purpose but I'm not sure why.

I'm trying with the rest, but am not all that great with higher tiers.

I changed the damage progression a bit.
Added how grappling works with gravity hand.

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 12:54 PM
Alright, now you are making it that feature to powerful.

Level 1 abilities with Mage Hand
1) Do 1d10 force damage (rarely resisted)
2) Grapple someone
3) Give Feather Fall (a free first level spell)

All this added onto the fact that you don't need to take a different damage cantrip since this does the job.

My suggestion
Gravity Hand
When choosing this circle at second level you gain a modified version of the mage hand cantrip. This does not count toward the number of cantrips you know. The mage hand does what it usually does but also gains the following effects:

Your hands weight capacity is determined by 10 times your wisdom modifier in pounds.
You can take an action and make a melee spell attack with it which does 1d10 force damage upon a hit. The damage increases when you reach higher levels: 2d10 at 5th level, 3d10 at 11th level and 4d10 at 17th level.
You can take an action to make a grapple check with the gravity hand with a DC 11 (DC 13 at level 5, DC 15 at level 11, DC 17 at level 17). On success the hand will grapple the target, in subsequent rounds you may spend your bonus action to cause the hand to continue the grapple and your action to either attack the grappled target or drag the target 15 feet. The hand can only grapple medium or smaller creatures

What I did
- Dropped the change in duration. It's a cantrip, if you want it always there it's always there. Having it last 2 minutes instead of one? Meh, I don't see the point
- Changed the damage progression to match all other cantrips
- Dropped the feather fall piece. You have that at 6th level, and frankly 40 pounds of force isn't enough to slow down someone who weighs 200 pounds without equipment.
- Rewrote the grapple for clarity and control of it's abilities.

This may still be overpowered, but it would certainly be interesting.

Kovaud
2017-08-31, 08:41 PM
Alright, now you are making it that feature to powerful.

Level 1 abilities with Mage Hand
1) Do 1d10 force damage (rarely resisted)
2) Grapple someone
3) Give Feather Fall (a free first level spell)

All this added onto the fact that you don't need to take a different damage cantrip since this does the job.

My suggestion
Gravity Hand

You can take an action to make a grapple check with the gravity hand with a DC 11 (DC 13 at level 5, DC 15 at level 11, DC 17 at level 17). On success the hand will grapple the target, in subsequent rounds you may spend your bonus action to cause the hand to continue the grapple and your action to either attack the grappled target or drag the target 15 feet. The hand can only grapple medium or smaller creatures

What I did
- Dropped the change in duration. It's a cantrip, if you want it always there it's always there. Having it last 2 minutes instead of one? Meh, I don't see the point
- Changed the damage progression to match all other cantrips
- Dropped the feather fall piece. You have that at 6th level, and frankly 40 pounds of force isn't enough to slow down someone who weighs 200 pounds without equipment.
- Rewrote the grapple for clarity and control of it's abilities.

This may still be overpowered, but it would certainly be interesting.

Thank you!! I'm new to homebrewing stuff and I appreciate any and all feedback I receive.