PDA

View Full Version : My new absurd character (who may or may not die in his first session)

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-31, 09:02 AM
So, I had an idea...and many of you may disapprove but hear me out. I have never had a wild magic sorcerer in my group, purely because he can explode the entire party randomly and cause a huge issue. So I decided to play one but not a traditional sorcerer... Now this may seem kinda MAD but I rolled some ridiculously amazing stats so no need to worry about that. I also recognize that what I'm about to propose is probably not the most effective subclass of sorcerer for the job but due to the wild mages randomness I chose it.

Basically I built a half wood elf variant (from SCAG) took elven weapon training and made a barbaric longsword wielding elf. However he was never as strong as his peers but he had a strange magic seeped into him that he can't really control (Hence the wild mage) and my plan with him is to take only buff spells (Ie mage armor, false life) and toss him into melee combat with the booming blade cantrip. Then once ,or really if, he reaches level four I take the tough feat and I've done the math, the HP boost from tough and his +3 Con should make him slightly more durable than an average cleric at the same level. I'd like him to be completely savage and really have no idea what he's doing magically, giving him the chance to explode into a fireball or turn into a sheep in combat. I don't expect him to survive but i think he will be quite fun to play for his short lifespan...thoughts?

NRSASD
2017-08-31, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a blast to me! Since you're fully aware your lifespan will be measured in rounds, that just makes every moment of survival all the sweeter. My only comment/concern is make sure the rest of your party is ok with that. If some of them are tryharding, your tactics could cause some interparty friction.

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-31, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a blast to me! Since you're fully aware your lifespan will be measured in rounds, that just makes every moment of survival all the sweeter. My only comment/concern is make sure the rest of your party is ok with that. If some of them are tryharding, your tactics could cause some interparty friction.

I formed my party long ago and nobody tries hard at all lol nobody even power games. we have like gnome clerics and orc wizards, stuff with zero synergy. I'm probably the most serious.

Edit: i have ran it by at least 2 of my party mates and my DM who were all super into the idea.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-31, 09:40 AM
If your group is cool with it, then by all means go for it.

And remember - Subtle Spell means even you never saw you cast it.

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-31, 09:42 AM
And remember - Subtle Spell means even you never saw you cast it.

This has beautiful potential.

Edit: Casts fireball subtly not knowing and hits a peasant "WHAT WAS THAT? WHO DID THAT? SHOW YOURSELF VILLAIN"

Hackulator
2017-08-31, 12:47 PM
I think it's a great and amusing idea. It's of course far from optimized but optimization and fun have very little to do with each other. As others have stated, just make sure you're in the right kind of group, the character won't be fun to play if everyone is constantly bitching at you out of character.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-31, 01:56 PM
So, I had an idea...and many of you may disapprove but hear me out. I have never had a wild magic sorcerer in my group, purely because he can explode the entire party randomly and cause a huge issue. So I decided to play one but not a traditional sorcerer... Now this may seem kinda MAD but I rolled some ridiculously amazing stats so no need to worry about that. I also recognize that what I'm about to propose is probably not the most effective subclass of sorcerer for the job but due to the wild mages randomness I chose it.

Basically I built a half wood elf variant (from SCAG) took elven weapon training and made a barbaric longsword wielding elf. However he was never as strong as his peers but he had a strange magic seeped into him that he can't really control (Hence the wild mage) and my plan with him is to take only buff spells (Ie mage armor, false life) and toss him into melee combat with the booming blade cantrip. Then once ,or really if, he reaches level four I take the tough feat and I've done the math, the HP boost from tough and his +3 Con should make him slightly more durable than an average cleric at the same level. I'd like him to be completely savage and really have no idea what he's doing magically, giving him the chance to explode into a fireball or turn into a sheep in combat. I don't expect him to survive but i think he will be quite fun to play for his short lifespan...thoughts?

Sounds like a character I would like to adventure with! Keep us updated with your adventures.

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-31, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a character I would like to adventure with! Keep us updated with your adventures.

I'm playing tonight I'll update you guys with the results.

Edit: If anyone can help me devise an alignment for this guy I'd appreciate it. I want him to be chaotic but not a muderhobo but not super good either. Possibly Chaotic Good with a very intense lean to Chaos? Or could I get away with a Chaotic evil with a strong Chaotic neutral lean and not be insanely murderous and just be barbaric and almost Orc like?

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-31, 02:27 PM
I'm playing tonight I'll update you guys with the results.

Edit: If anyone can help me devise an alignment for this guy I'd appreciate it. I want him to be chaotic but not a muderhobo but not super good either. Possibly Chaotic Good with a very intense lean to Chaos? Or could I get away with a Chaotic evil with a strong Chaotic neutral lean and not be insanely murderous and just be barbaric and almost Orc like?

CN or CG if he isn't a murderhobo. As to the wild magic, remember how bruce banner was in the first avengers movie in regards to his worrying about turning into the hulk. Wild magic could be your hulk worry.

Dankus Memakus
2017-08-31, 02:52 PM
CN or CG if he isn't a murderhobo. As to the wild magic, remember how bruce banner was in the first avengers movie in regards to his worrying about turning into the hulk. Wild magic could be your hulk worry.

my character may not be smart enough to worry about it

Nifft
2017-08-31, 03:02 PM
1 - This looks like 5e so you may want to request that your thread be moved to the 5e forum. You can use the Report button on your own first post to request the move.

2 - Can you use Subtle Spell with melee-attack cantrips like Booming Blade? That would be hilarious. "WHO KEEPS HITTING ME?!"

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-31, 05:57 PM
my character may not be smart enough to worry about it

As a friend used to say: "I wish I was smarter to figure it out or dumber so I wouldn't care!"

Jay R
2017-08-31, 10:27 PM
Great idea. I have one recommendation:

Start building your next character now. I've found that losing a character (which you've already said you expect to happen) is far less annoying when you already know who his replacement will be.