PDA

View Full Version : Items of the Three Kingdoms (For fun!)

Paragon Badger
2007-08-12, 04:00 AM
Oppropriate for a Oriental Adventures campaign, I guess... These items are all based off of weapons used by characters in the Chinese epic 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms'. If you're wondering where the Meteor Hammer was in the book, don't worry, that dude was introduced in one paragraph and killed in the next. :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Two-Handed Melee Weapons

Ji
Cost: 20 gp
Damage(M): 1d8 Piercing, 1d6 Bludgeoning
Critical: 20/×3, 20/x2
Range Increment: —
Weight: 9 lb.
Type: Reach Weapon(Piercing only)

The standard weapon of the ancient Chinese army for hundreds of years.

+2 Circumstance bonus to disarm checks when using the piercing side.

Meteor Hammer
Cost: 10 gp
Damage(M): 1d10
Critical: 20/×3
Weight: 4 lb.
Type: Bludgeoning, Reach Weapon

Quite simply, this is a pair of mace heads attached to a chain.

On a natural one attack roll, you roll another attack against yourself, flat-footed.

Yes...this was what Gogo Yubari used in Kill Bill.

Magic Items

Green Dragon [Magic Guan Dao (Glaive/Naginata)]
Damage(M): 1d10
Critical: 20/×3
Weight: 100 lb.
Type: Slashing, Reach Weapon

Vorpal, Ki Focus

Wielded by the legendary Guan Yu, who is said to have invented this weapon, he defeated countless enemies in personal combat using his trusty blade.

Sword of Heaven [Magic Longsword]
Damage(M): 1d6
Critical: 17-20/×2
Weight: 5 lb.

Keen, Mighty Cleaving

Taken from the corpse of Xiahou En, Zhao Zilong used this blade to wade through a million enemy troops singe-handedly from atop his horse, all the while holding his lord's infant son in his other hand.

Red Hare (Paragon Heavy Warhorse)
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+18 (156 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 150 ft. (30 squares)
Armor Class: 47 (-1 size, +12 insight, +12 luck +9 Dex, +5 natural), touch 19, flat-footed 38
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Hoof +31 melee (1d6+24)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +31 melee (1d6+24) and bite +26 melee (1d4+22)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility. Fire and cold resistence 10. Damage Reduction 10/epic. Spell Resistence(27), Fast Healing(20)
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +15, Will +12
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 28, Con 32, Int 2, Wis 27, Cha 34
Skills: Listen +15, Spot +14
Feats: Endurance, Diehard, Run
Environment: Any land or underground.
Organization: Domesticated

"Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare."

Red Hare will attack anyone who attempts to mount it without having at least 21 levels.

Yes, this is an item... A steed, to be precise. ;-) No, I do not enjoy applying Paragon templates to every base creature out there. Just read the book, this horse truly was the apex of husbandry. It has a cool red coat, to boot.

Edit:

Liu Shan
-2 Intelligence.

You feel dumber just [b]holding him. (Kind of an inside joke if you've read the book.. <_<)

Solo
2007-08-12, 04:18 AM
In the translation I read, your "Sword of Heaven" was called "Pillar of Heaven".

Just saying...

elliott20
2007-08-13, 07:55 AM
historically, it was actually suspect whether or not Guan Yu actually used a guan dao in battle as opposed to a spear on horseback. The image of him with the green dragon was actually popularized in the books thanks to Luo Guanzhong. But anyhoo, I did a couple of these myself in the past. I'll see if I can dig them up...

Qinggang
The Qinggang sword is of the two prized weapons controlled by Cao Cao. It was given to Xiahou En to carry as a gift in appreciation of his loyality. However, Zhao Yun later slayed Xiahou En and took the sword for himself, using it to save Liu Bei's son, Liu Shan.

Qinggang is a lawful lightning long sword+3

elliott20
2007-08-13, 07:57 AM
Dong Feng Fan

The Dong Feng Fan is a mystical fan that can summon the winds and was used by Zhuge Liang to summon the winds in the battle of Chibi to aid the alliance forces.

This highly ornate feather fan has the power to summon strong gusts of winds in any direction with the proper command word. It also gives those holding the fan a +2 enhancement bonus to both intelligence and charisma.

Matthew
2007-08-15, 07:30 AM
Why does your Ji do Bludgeoning Damage? I was under the impression that it had an Axe like head... I wouldn't make it any more complicated than it needs to be, no need to vary the damage by type.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-15, 03:40 PM
Why does your Ji do Bludgeoning Damage? I was under the impression that it had an Axe like head... I wouldn't make it any more complicated than it needs to be, no need to vary the damage by type.

A common attack used by the more talented warriors of the time was to use the non-sharp edge of the Ji to knock someone off their horse immediatly after crossing paths in a joust-like duel.

Although I suppose, you could just consider that an improvised weapon...

Demented
2007-08-15, 04:21 PM
Hit Dice: 4d8+18 (156 hp)

:smallconfused:
That may be an extra '1'.