PDA

View Full Version : My House Rules Pack

Sombrenote
2007-08-12, 09:33 PM
http://static.scribd.com/docs/8ttxd5h4hf4xs.swf?INITIAL_VIEW=width

These are my houses rules posted on the net.

Any thoughts as to what people think? I like to go for a realistic Game.

dr.cello
2007-08-12, 10:48 PM
I'm confused about your build/looks dynamic, specifically how it functions and how it's generated (the dropped what from character generation, now?)

Machete
2007-08-13, 12:17 AM
I love the fact that you need a "no playing while high" rule. That made me LOL.

Stan: Towely, just roll your d20s and add your combat modifiers.
Towely: I want to make a Use Rope check against the dragon. Like Spiderman.
Kyle: This is so stupid, why is he high?

Sombrenote
2007-08-13, 11:51 PM
I don;t really use that hardcore, the build looks thing. But it is there to show that Cha is only part of a persons attractiveness physically, and only part of a persons attractiveness personality wise.

What about some of the other stuff?

Matthew
2007-08-17, 04:01 AM
I like your Reach Weapon Rules (as I use them), I like the concept of your Flanking Rules (as I use a similar model), but I think your Healing Rules are probably too complicated, though I like that Massive Damage is not necessarily an outright kill.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 12:53 PM
Well they are more complected. But when you use the notes format, they work pretty fast. I have used them a number of times now, and they are strangely streamline. I could still work on them though. The big point of them was to inject some realism in wounds and make it so make does not fix everything until higher levels.

Deesix
2007-08-17, 05:08 PM
Well they are more complected. But when you use the notes format, they work pretty fast. I have used them a number of times now, and they are strangely streamline. I could still work on them though. The big point of them was to inject some realism in wounds and make it so make does not fix everything until higher levels.

I do quite like the realism of the wounds. It isn't perfect, but in a single-layer HP system it's hard to be.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 05:13 PM
I agree it is not perfect.

And suggestions on how to make it better?

Matthew
2007-08-17, 06:25 PM
The way I do it is to only consider a Character 'wounded' if he reaches 0 or fewer Hit Points. Instead of gradually dying, they remain at the penalty they were knocked down to. The negative Hit Point Score is also the degree to which the character is wounded and exists as a penalty to all further actions, even once the Character returns to positive Hit Points. Such Wounds are independently healed over time (reduced by 1 for every X number of days, I use ten) or as the result of a corresponding Cure Spell. So, Cure Light Wounds would remove a -1 Penalty (but have no effect on a -2 Penalty) as well as restore Y number of Hit Points.

Just food for thought.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 07:19 PM
The way I do it is to only consider a Character 'wounded' if he reaches 0 or fewer Hit Points. Instead of gradually dying, they remain at the penalty they were knocked down to. The negative Hit Point Score is also the degree to which the character is wounded and exists as a penalty to all further actions, even once the Character returns to positive Hit Points. Such Wounds are independently healed over time (reduced by 1 for every X number of days, I use ten) or as the result of a corresponding Cure Spell. So, Cure Light Wounds would remove a -1 Penalty (but have no effect on a -2 Penalty) as well as restore Y number of Hit Points.

Just food for thought.

That is a really interesting idea, I really like parts of it.

But two things can not happen with this rule. You can not be knocked unconscious from damage, and you can not be mortal wounded and not dead.

So let me get make sure i understand you. 0 means nothing but the breaking point in which they develop and negative to all actions. These hit points can be healed passed negative to full, but the negative still exists to effect the character as a wound. Also the spell level of the cure spell, corresponds to the negative which it can heal, to a max of -9; mass heal?

And what about devastation wounds like a crushed leg?

Matthew
2007-08-17, 08:44 PM
So let me get make sure i understand you. 0 means nothing but the breaking point in which they develop and negative to all actions. These hit points can be healed passed negative to full, but the negative still exists to effect the character as a wound. Also the spell level of the cure spell, corresponds to the negative which it can heal, to a max of -9; mass heal?

Yep, that's about the size of it.

That is a really interesting idea, I really like parts of it.

Thanks

But two things can not happen with this rule. You can not be knocked unconscious from damage, and you can not be mortal wounded and not dead.

Well, the above is the idea at its simplest. We actually usually assume that a Character knocked to 0 Hit Points or below is Unconscious or otherwise incapacitated beyond doing anything much. If you wanted to check for unconsciousness, I suggest making a Fortitude or Will Save versus [DC 10 + Wound Severity (i.e. 1-9)].
Mortal Wounds depend on what you consider 'Mortal'. If you consider them Wounds from which you will never recover, that would be -10. If you mean a Wound that a Character will die from unless treated, you can choose any level of severity to represent that; it probably won't come up, because if a Wound is never treated, it means the party is defeated and the enemy may simply slay them out of hand. For my part, I usually consider -7 and above to be a Wound that will eventually kill a Character if left untreated, but that is yet to come up within the game.

And what about devastation wounds like a crushed leg?

This is really an additional proposition. Specific Wounds can be legislated for or not, as you prefer.

There is some degree of complication, as a Character may have greater than -10 Total Wounds, but still be alive (Having taken a -7 Wound and been healed to 0 Hit Points and then taken a -3 Wound). Similarly, there is a difference between a -7 Wound and seven -1 Wounds, which can be a bit confusing.

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 10:44 PM
For my part, I usually consider -7 and above to be a Wound that will eventually kill a Character if left untreated, but that is yet to come up within the game.

But there is no real rules about it? If you were ever in the situation, you would never be able to enforce a death. Not that i go around trying to do it, it would just never happen.

I suggest making a Fortitude or Will Save versus [DC 10 + Wound Severity (i.e. 1-9)].

If I were to add a unconsciouses role, i would make it fortitude, and I would make it much higher, and scaling like you said. Some number plus the negative number. DC 20 - -3 or something. I would also make then have to recheck every time they make more then a partial action.

There is some degree of complication, as a Character may have greater than -10 Total Wounds, but still be alive (Having taken a -7 Wound and been healed to 0 Hit Points and then taken a -3 Wound). Similarly, there is a difference between a -7 Wound and seven -1 Wounds, which can be a bit confusing.

Well the first example of having negative -10, is not complected. It is just healing it that is the bitch. You might be able to heal the 3 but not the 10.

Also i guess the same issue would be with the 7 -1's. They might be at -7 but could be healed up with 7 cure lights.

Why don;t you give me more information about what heal spells reach what check.

Also one pet peeve of mine is that the heal skill is next to useless and is a pointless game dynamic after 2 level. So i make resposible for other players to know how hurt each other are. For a cleric to know you are close, they have to role a heal check at a DC. The DC gives them a ballpark estimation. Also some heal checks can be used to stabilize characters when spell power is not there.

I guess i keep around mortal wounds not just because they are realistic, but it give people will good heal skill something to use it on.

Not to mention "Every characters’ negative hit points are equal to 10 + the characters ECL. "

I would like to include some of your ideas, i just need to figure how how to do it so it is not to complected.

JackMage666
2007-08-17, 10:59 PM
Also, how does Fast Healing react to that system? I'm talking to you Matthew!

Sombrenote
2007-08-17, 11:04 PM
"Also, how does Fast Healing react to that system? I'm talking to you Matthew!"

Good question. Fast Healing and regeneration.

The thing i hate about D&D is hit points are supposed to be like fatigue, but losing hp does nothing but lose hp. The character can do flips just as easy at full hp.

But looking at hp as combination of damage that weakens the bodies resilience is not much better a way to look at it, because no hits are really even HITTING. And they heal that damage like nothing.

Matthew
2007-08-18, 04:26 AM
But there is no real rules about it? If you were ever in the situation, you would never be able to enforce a death. Not that i go around trying to do it, it would just never happen.

Honestly, I don't need hard and fast rules that legislates for the precise meaning of every number. If a Character is on -7 and receives no attention, the game has probably gone in an odd direction. If it were to happen, I would prefer to have the freedom to decide for the good of the game.
However, should you want to legislate beforehand, it's none too difficult. Example: A Character with a -10 Wound has one minute before he expires. A Character with a -9 has ten minutes before he expires. A Character with a -8 Wound has thirty minutes before he expires. A Character with a -7 Wound has one hour before he expires.

If I were to add a unconsciouses role, i would make it fortitude, and I would make it much higher, and scaling like you said. Some number plus the negative number. DC 20 - -3 or something. I would also make then have to recheck every time they make more then a partial action.

Sounds fair to me.

Well the first example of having negative -10, is not complected. It is just healing it that is the bitch. You might be able to heal the 3 but not the 10.

Also i guess the same issue would be with the 7 -1's. They might be at -7 but could be healed up with 7 cure lights.

Yep, that's all accurate, I just meant it could be confusing for some that their Hit Point Total and Wound Points are seperate, but related.

Why don;t you give me more information about what heal spells reach what check.

Sure.

Cure Minor Wound: 0
Cure Light Wounds: -1/-2
Cure Moderate Wounds: -3/-4
Cure Serious Wounds: -5/-6
Cure Critical Wounds: -7/-8
Heal: -9

Alternatively, create a Cure Spell for every Spell Level (which is what we did).

Also one pet peeve of mine is that the heal skill is next to useless and is a pointless game dynamic after 2 level. So i make resposible for other players to know how hurt each other are. For a cleric to know you are close, they have to role a heal check at a DC. The DC gives them a ballpark estimation. Also some heal checks can be used to stabilize characters when spell power is not there.

I guess i keep around mortal wounds not just because they are realistic, but it give people will good heal skill something to use it on.

Okay, here's what we do, which you may or may not like, but is something to think about. Basically, every time a Character is hit, I record the score. So, Aldros the Fighter might take four hits over the course of play, I record 7, 6, 4 and 8, for a total of 25 Hit Points. I allow each 'Hit' a Heal Check (DC 15) to restore 1 Hit Point for each blow (and never any more via Heal).
What you could do to keep Heal relevant at Higher Levels is allow incremental Healing (insist on 'Taking 10') so that DC 20 restores 2 Hit Points, DC 25 restores 3, DC 30 restores 4, DC 35 restores 5, up to a maximum of each 'Hit', so no healing a '5 Point Blow' for more than 5.
I usually insist that each check takes 10 Minutes, but you could vary that to suit your game.

Another use would be to allow quicker recovery of Wounds. In our games, it's 10 Days for every -1, but a Character with the Heal Skill could use it to halve this time. If you wanted to make it more complicated you could make it a check for every potential ten days with DC X + Wound Severity.

I would like to include some of your ideas, i just need to figure how how to do it so it is not to complected.

Always the difficulty. I have some Fatigue Rules around here if you're interested as well.

Also, how does Fast Healing react to that system? I'm talking to you Matthew!

Fast Healing, ehy? I dunno, maybe removes 1 Wound Point every 24 Hours or quicker, depending on how Fast the Healing actually is.

Sombrenote
2007-08-29, 04:46 PM
Well your system got me thinking about a save to keep from going unconscious. So i changed the flow of my damage rules a bit. I think it works better now. I changed the link at the top.

I also added more stuff on healing, and poison using Wrecan's Variant Poison Rules http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=751305

I also added an option to role a normal distribution when the character suck. haha

Matthew
2007-08-30, 05:16 PM
Glad to be of some small service.