PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Backgrounds Compendium - 16 new backgrounds

zeek0
2017-09-12, 06:41 AM
I've compiled some of my own backgrounds together with other fine backgrounds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfCiPA2FPFAUm1zd1N3QnZVdnM/view?usp=drivesdk

Any feedback is welcome!

JBPuffin
2017-09-12, 07:28 AM
All of these are cool; characters starting flying around my head with each one.

zeek0
2017-09-12, 08:58 AM
All of these are cool; characters starting flying around my head with each one.

Thanks!

My favorite thing to do is to make unexpected background/class combos. A shaman/paladin would be cool, or a doctor/rogue. It really broadens the possibilities.

Feuerphoenix
2017-09-13, 07:07 PM
Did I overlook something, or does the adventurer seem pretty good? Maybe not on the same level as the sailor, but still better than most of the other choices I suppose...

JBPuffin
2017-09-13, 09:35 PM
Did I overlook something, or does the adventurer seem pretty good? Maybe not on the same level as the sailor, but still better than most of the other choices I suppose...

What makes it better? I mean, is there a way to optimize a background...?

Feuerphoenix
2017-09-14, 07:03 AM
Athletics is one of the very good skills, survival is pretty good for any journey.

But what it really makes it great is the possibility to choose various tools, like thief tools. Outside of very specific backgrounds, you can't get any tools except you spend a feat or have a certain class.

And then you get a background to get contracts and even a "get out of jail" card for free. That is really powerful, if you know how to use it.

zeek0
2017-09-14, 10:10 AM
Athletics is one of the very good skills, survival is pretty good for any journey.

But what it really makes it great is the possibility to choose various tools, like thief tools. Outside of very specific backgrounds, you can't get any tools except you spend a feat or have a certain class.

And then you get a background to get contracts and even a "get out of jail" card for free. That is really powerful, if you know how to use it.

All fair assessments. But I'll direct you to page 125 of the PHB. Rules as written, you can change out the skill, and tool/language proficiences, of any background. The PHB references their backgrounds as 'suggestions', not options. You may even do this in adventurer's league, if I've heard right.

As for the features, they are almost a direct copy of guild artisan and folk hero respectively.

I really like homebrewing backgrounds, because they are rules-lite. As long as the feature is on point, everything else is quite fine. What follows after that is just making it as awesome as possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions.