PDA

View Full Version : Scion help?

GrinningDemon
2017-09-12, 06:48 PM
Hi, first time playing a Scion, so just learned about the battle system and need some help. My group needed a fighter so I built an unarmed fighter son of Ares. I'm trying to figure out how to get my speed down so I can attack more often. I already have my light unarmed attack down to 3 and my heavy down to 4, or increase my number of attacks. I have a Legend of 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymouswizard
2017-09-13, 03:04 AM
Short answer (I assume this is 1e, I don't think 2e is out yet)? Relic brass knuckles, pump all their bonuses into speed. In theory you can bring it down to Speed 0, allowing you to launch endless attacks until you have to take another action, in practice you should limit it to speed 1-3 to stop the GM throwing books at you.

Otherwise? It's probably best to focus on upping your damage more. While dropping your speed would be amazing, it's very hard to do without a relic weapon and 3 is about the minimum you can get before the system breaks down (and it's why people recommend not allowing relic weapons to reduce speed). There's probably some homebrew Knack or Charm that allows you to drop your Speed further, I don't think there's anything official.

Berenger
2017-09-13, 03:07 PM
Short answer (I assume this is 1e, I don't think 2e is out yet)? Relic brass knuckles, pump all their bonuses into speed. In theory you can bring it down to Speed 0, allowing you to launch endless attacks until you have to take another action, in practice you should limit it to speed 1-3 to stop the GM throwing books at you.

It's not rules legal to bring the Speed lower than half the original value. Scion isn't that broken. :smallwink:

Anonymouswizard
2017-09-13, 03:55 PM
It's not rules legal to bring the Speed lower than half the original value. Scion isn't that broken. :smallwink:

Well sorry, my copy of Hero is all the way upstairs, and I was supposed to be looking for jobs.

Friv
2017-09-13, 04:33 PM

That was a piece of errata that wasn't in the first printings of the core book, because the devs didn't think of it going in.

So, here's my Scion Combat Advice. Keep in mind that you'll want to moderate some of this based on the fact that Scion is a dumb, broken system and you don't want to make your ST cry.

#1 - As noted, relic brass knuckles are the way to go. That'll take your Speed down to 2, which is pretty close to breaking the combat system over your knee already. Never make heavy attacks. They aren't worth it.

#2 - Epic Dexterity trumps Epic Strength. I realize that it's not one of your Associated Epics, but you absolutely want to take it to the maximum possible level all the time. Having it also means being able to make multiple attacks per action more easily if your opponents don't have it, because you're throwing so many automatic successes that every attack will hit. The Untouchable Opponent Knack probably looks good to you, but I would suggest making a pre-emptive agreement with your ST to ban it outright for all PCs and NPCs because it is BS. Besides, you've got Epic Stamina, and that is a great way to shrug off hits.

#3 - Your War Boons aren't great power-wise, but they can make the difference in a tight match, and they're pretty cool thematically, so go for them. If you can justify it thematically, a Dexterity-based Animal Aspect is pretty much unstoppable, especially with some Ares Epic Stamina thrown into the die pool.