PDA

View Full Version : D30 System.

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-09-14, 05:42 AM
This is something i have been thinking about for a while. basically, you have three reserves of points, out of ten that you add up to find a range for the d30 roll. this means rolling under the total or within the range to succeed, of course.

The factors are; [1] Stats [2] Skills [3] Talents.

Stats cover a wide range of skills, skills are more specific to broad skills, and talents are like specializing in certain aspects of skills. adding them up will give you your "range."

Then, the difficulties are applied. seeing as how with enough character points you can raise your 'factors' to go above ten, there are difficulties to be subtracted from your range to find a new target. these stack, as do bonuses, of course.

What do you think?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-14, 06:28 AM
I'd recommend sticking to a die that people actually own. Rating each stat 1-4 would let you use a d12, for instance. Or maybe keep Stats and Skills at 1-10, roll a d20, and let Talents be a bonus ~2-5 that breaks the normal limit. Or roll 3d10 and base your numbers around that bell curve. Something.

I kind of like the "Talents as a bonus" more than "Talents as part of the expected curve" more, come to think of it. Unless you're planning to have a very few, very broad stats (ie, "mental, physical, social"), I'm thinking a full three levels of skill will result in extremely narrow talents. If you have, oh, 5 options for each level (5 stats, 5 skills/stat, 5 talents/skill), you're talking 125 options for Talents. And my experience has always been that the more a game breaks up its skill list, the less competent each character feels. You go from being able to cover "social stuff, plus some knowledge and agility things" to "most social stuff" to "well, I can talk to people, but only in positive ways."

ahyangyi
2017-09-14, 01:00 PM
Why not just roll a d20?

1 is auto fail, 20 is auto success. 2-19 is 18 numbers ,so you assign 1-6 for each stat.

JBPuffin
2017-09-14, 01:42 PM
Hold up a minute, though: you have Stats (for example, the DnD sextuplets), Skills (we'll hone in on "Athletics"), and Talents (Swim, Climb, Jump, Run, Brawn [grappling etc], let's say). I have a guy with a 4 Str, 4 Ath, and 4 Climb, so I have to roll no higher than a 12. I want to climb a pretty steep cliff, so the floor is 6...

That's the danger of sticking to small numbers for creating ranges: you don't have a lot of granularity, and if you have to set a floor...things shrink pretty fast. I'd actually build off a d100 (most dice sets come with a d100, after all) and use multiples of 2 and 4.

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-09-15, 06:53 AM
Why not just roll a d20?

1 is auto fail, 20 is auto success. 2-19 is 18 numbers ,so you assign 1-6 for each stat.

That is a great idea.

Sir Brett Nortj
2017-09-15, 07:00 AM
I'd recommend sticking to a die that people actually own. Rating each stat 1-4 would let you use a d12, for instance. Or maybe keep Stats and Skills at 1-10, roll a d20, and let Talents be a bonus ~2-5 that breaks the normal limit. Or roll 3d10 and base your numbers around that bell curve. Something.

I kind of like the "Talents as a bonus" more than "Talents as part of the expected curve" more, come to think of it. Unless you're planning to have a very few, very broad stats (ie, "mental, physical, social"), I'm thinking a full three levels of skill will result in extremely narrow talents. If you have, oh, 5 options for each level (5 stats, 5 skills/stat, 5 talents/skill), you're talking 125 options for Talents. And my experience has always been that the more a game breaks up its skill list, the less competent each character feels. You go from being able to cover "social stuff, plus some knowledge and agility things" to "most social stuff" to "well, I can talk to people, but only in positive ways."

This game uses d10 d20 and d30. the d30 can be bought along with other dice for about ten dollars or so, and is essential.

This is because you can 'test' a stats, out of whatever, on a d10, separately when the dungeon master says so, test a saving throw made of two stats or so added together on a d20, and test a full typical success rate on a d30.

Ye,s, it is a hybrid of d&d and vampire. yes, it is has magic spells combined with guns and mecca, genetically implanted organs for people working as lwayers or politicians, with relevant skills in the beginning to boost them to get mutant powers too, logically and imaginatively worked into the 'tapestry.'

I have been working on this game since 1996, and am proud to say lots of people get lost in the game, with all the options. i mean, becoming a gardener to compliment your druid magic, along with making money with great skills of underworld bosses calling you in to design their gardens - building up connections this way? - and also being models that earn lots of fame to sell to grab some mutant organs to live a new lifestyle are also a part of it. then, there are guides to design your own machines and stuff, coming up with a company to fund your drop ship army, as it is out in space, of course, where companies and nations of public and private sectors compete for more land for their gods, so they may get more power from them.