PDA

View Full Version : Custom Beastmaster Companion

underscorehuman
2017-09-14, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be the DM for a group of friends soon, and one of my players is planning on playing the UA Ranger beast master. He wanted to design a custom animal companion because he has a specific character concept he wants to execute. I let him design something and agreed to checking through it before he actually used it. I wrote down the information for the creature he designed and formatted it to look like creature stat blocks from the Monster Manual. I'd like to let him use it because he's totally excited for it, but I wanted to know if this seemed reasonable or if there were any glaring problems with this that I didn't think of.

Companion
Medium Monstrosity, unaligned
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
Hit Points 21 (3d8 + 6)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****STR *********DEX *********CON *********INT *********WIS *********CHA
**16 (+3) ******8 (-1) *******14 (+2) ******8 (-1) *****12 (+1) ******4 (-3)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senses blindsight 30 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 11
Languages ---
Challenge ½ (100 XP)

Unnatural Anatomy. The companion can squeeze through spaces large enough for a creature 2 sizes smaller than it. Additionally, while moving through spaces large enough for a creature 1 size smaller than it, the companion receives no penalties normally caused by squeezing.

Actions
Tentacles. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 13). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the companion can’t use its tentacles on another target.

Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) necrotic damage. This attack can only be made against a target that is restrained by the companions tentacles. The companion gains temporary hit points equal to the amount of damage dealt.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 3) slashing damage.

JNAProductions
2017-09-14, 07:28 PM
Drain should give THP. Other than that, nothing GLARINGLY OP, but the whole package still looks a little iffy.

underscorehuman
2017-09-14, 08:55 PM
Drain should give THP. Other than that, nothing GLARINGLY OP, but the whole package still looks a little iffy.

Thanks for the reply! I never even considered THP, that should definitely help control it.