PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Attractive Feat

JNAProductions
2017-09-14, 10:04 PM
When taking this feat, you gain the following benefits:
-Increase your Charisma by 1 (standard cap)
-You may apply half your proficiency bonus to any Charisma based checks you make, unless you would already apply more
-Once per short rest, you may roll an additional die when making a Charisma based check and take the highest result

Nice, simple feat. For those characters too sexy to fail. :P

Nifft
2017-09-14, 10:12 PM
I came here to make foot & shoe jokes.

Then, I re-read the thread title.

-- -- --

Mechanically I don't think any such feat is necessary. That sort of thing should happen anyway, except with any clothing that makes you attractive instead of being limited to "revealing" clothing.

It seems like this is more of a restriction on imagination than a benefit to play.

JNAProductions
2017-09-14, 10:14 PM
I came here to make foot & shoe jokes.

Then, I re-read the thread title.

-- -- --

Mechanically I don't think any such feat is necessary. That sort of thing should happen anyway, except with any clothing that makes you attractive instead of being limited to "revealing" clothing.

It seems like this is more of a restriction on imagination than a benefit to play.

I can agree with that, but there are people who might have low Charisma, but be rather attractive, and vice-versa. I don't want to PENALIZE people for saying "My character is ugly" and reward them for saying "My character is pretty". Hence, this feat.

Will amend it to not include Intimidation, though.

2017-09-14, 10:59 PM
Will amend it to not include Intimidation, though.

No rough stuff then? :smalltongue:

Anymage
2017-09-14, 11:28 PM
Isn't "low charisma, high appearance" basically just the player asking for their character to be sexually harassed?

More important, though, is that the feat doesn't really support that playstyle. Advantage is obviously more useful when you're more likely to roll a success. High charisma people are going to be disproportionately more likely to be hotties, which is what you already see if some link between appearance and charisma is assumed as a default.

Finally, this feat depends a lot on how much the DM overthinks social justice to a tumblr-esque level. Overthink too much to the point where everyone is a free-love pansexual agender, advantage on all social rolls is very powerful. Your setting will also come off as affected and really icky. Underthink, like most campaign settings out there do, and most people in power will be straight and male. This will make the feat underpowered for male characters (who get little advantage beyond flirting with the barmaid), while very strong for female characters. "Females are heavily encouraged to pick the Hot feat" is also kind of icky. Giving people of power a broad spread of both genders and sexualities will even out the feat's strength, but that's a lot of extra thinking about your setting, and very likely to either turn into tumblr-overthink or giving up and underthinking.

Nifft
2017-09-15, 12:28 AM
I don't want to PENALIZE people for saying "My character is ugly" and reward them for saying "My character is pretty". Hence, this feat.

Here's how I handle that:

"In the fiction, you're hot. That means you might have an easy in-game justification for getting Advantage when you spend Inspiration on one of your Charisma rolls."

There is no mechanical benefit unless you spend Inspiration, of course.

Anymage
2017-09-15, 04:31 AM
Since I can't sleep, a couple of alternate ideas. Out of curiosity, who do you see this feat being targeted more towards? People who are already social skillmonkeys, or people who aren't?

If it's a small social boost for people who don't want to invest in Cha, +1 to Cha and +1/2 your proficiency bonus to all Cha checks you don't already apply your proficiency bonus to. Won't be as good as someone with actual charisma and/or social skills, but handy as a fallback. I'd even allow it to apply to intimidation attempts, and to checks against people who don't go for your gender. (After all, the halo effect is a thing and doesn't require that anyone want to bang you.)

If your target is people who have already invested heavily in their social skills, one Lucky-like reroll, only usable for Cha-based rolls, that recharges on a short rest. This sends the message that attractive people get a bit more leeway, but ultimately need substance if they want to get anywhere.

JNAProductions
2017-09-15, 10:20 AM
Since I can't sleep, a couple of alternate ideas. Out of curiosity, who do you see this feat being targeted more towards? People who are already social skillmonkeys, or people who aren't?

If it's a small social boost for people who don't want to invest in Cha, +1 to Cha and +1/2 your proficiency bonus to all Cha checks you don't already apply your proficiency bonus to. Won't be as good as someone with actual charisma and/or social skills, but handy as a fallback. I'd even allow it to apply to intimidation attempts, and to checks against people who don't go for your gender. (After all, the halo effect is a thing and doesn't require that anyone want to bang you.)

If your target is people who have already invested heavily in their social skills, one Lucky-like reroll, only usable for Cha-based rolls, that recharges on a short rest. This sends the message that attractive people get a bit more leeway, but ultimately need substance if they want to get anywhere.

I do like that. Will adjust the feat.

JeenLeen
2017-09-15, 01:32 PM
-Once per short rest, you may roll an additional die when making a Charisma based check and take the highest result

I read this as basically saying (in a tricky way) 1/short rest, you get Advantage on a Charisma-based check. However, from the post above mine, it sounds like you want it to be a Lucky-like reroll. Maybe rephrase to explicitly state that you can choose to use this die after seeing the result of the dice roll (or however Lucky's timing is) and choose to use either result?

Not as a criticism, but I'm wondering if there are any classes that use Charisma in a way that would impact combat and be boosted by this feat? Not talking about +Cha to accuracy, since I know attack rolls and ability checks are different things, like succeeding on a Charisma check gives a boon in combat. I guess abilities that let you use Intimidate to impact battle would be boosted (which I think is fine; they can use their attractiveness to look like an imposing and rightful leader).
On that note, to clarify, this does NOT apply to Charisma saving throws, right?

JNAProductions
2017-09-15, 01:33 PM
I read this as basically saying (in a tricky way) 1/short rest, you get Advantage on a Charisma-based check. However, from the post above mine, it sounds like you want it to be a Lucky-like reroll. Maybe rephrase to explicitly state that you can choose to use this die after seeing the result of the dice roll (or however Lucky's timing is) and choose to use either result?

Not as a criticism, but I'm wondering if there are any classes that use Charisma in a way that would impact combat and be boosted by this feat? Not talking about +Cha to accuracy, since I know attack rolls and ability checks are different things, like succeeding on a Charisma check gives a boon in combat. I guess abilities that let you use Intimidate to impact battle would be boosted (which I think is fine; they can use their attractiveness to look like an imposing and rightful leader).
On that note, to clarify, this does NOT apply to Charisma saving throws, right?

Ability Checks and Saves are different, so no, this does NOT work on saves.