PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom Class: The Medic

Ruchalus
2017-09-18, 07:49 PM
Functions and Numbers are subject to change as this is still a Work In Progress. Please provide your thoughts/critiques to help me improve this class!

The Medic

The Medic has dedicated their life to the pursuit of medicine and healing the sick and injured. While not as potent as some magic healing abilities, the medicines created by the medic are expertly crafted and can heal a great deal if allowed the time. On their swift feet, they are able to patch up one ally then run to another and tend to their wounds in a timely manner.

The Medic comes in two variants, the Alchemical Medic who specializes in chemistry to make various potions and poisons whereas the Combat Medic goes deep into the fray to tend to their allies within the heat of the battle.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Medic level after 1st

Starting Proficiencies

You are proficient with the following items, in addition to any proficiencies provided by your race or background.

Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Skills: Medicine and choose one from Athletics, Insight, Nature, Sleight of Hand or Perception
Save Proficiencies: Wisdom and Constitution

Starting Equipment

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.

(a) a Mace, (b) a Dagger, or (c) Two Martial Weapons (if proficient)
(a) Leather Armor or (b) Scale Mail
(a) a Light Crossbow and 20 bolts, (b) any Simple Weapon or (c) a Shield
(a) Scholar’s Kit or (b) Explorer’s Kit
A Herbalism Kit

Alternatively, you may start with 5d4 x 10 gp to buy your own equipment.

Table: The Medic

Class Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Bonus Features

+2
Medic Archetype, Archetype Feature
New Remedy

+2
Emergency

+2

New Remedy

+2
Ability Score Improvement

+3
Efficiency, Archetype Feature
New Remedy

+3

+3

New Remedy

+3

+4
Archetype Feature

+4

New Remedy

+4
Bedside Manner

+4

+5

New Remedy

+5
Archetype Feature

+5

+5

+6
Master Surgeon
New Remedy

+6
Archetype Feature

+6

+6
Legendary Healer

Emergency: If an ally was brought below 1/2 health since your last turn, you can dash as a bonus action so long as you move towards the injured ally. (Uses equal to Wisdom Modifier) Resets after a long rest. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Efficiency: The Medic can now use Mundane Medicine, Medicinal Bandage or Splash potion as a bonus action if they used their Action to heal another ally. This Bonus Action can be used on the same target or another target.

Bedside Manner: Healing abilities (Mundane Medicine, Medicinal Bandage, Healing Draught & Splash Potion) now instantly heal health equal to the Medic's proficiency bonus + Wisdom modifier once when applied. (Does not proc on Mundane Medicine's later HoT ticks)

Master Surgeon: Medicine Checks gain double proficiency bonus. The effects of Bedside Manner are doubled.

Legendary Healer: Your mere presence reassures people that they’ll be safe and gain advantage on Death Saving Throws.

Your Save DC: 8 + Proficiency Modifier + Wisdom Modifier

Remedies

The Medic carries medicines and potions handy for a variety of situations. At 1st level, you obtain Mundane Medicine, Medicinal Bandage, and one Remedy of your choice. You can learn more remedies as you level up.

Remedies go inert after 1 day and anyone who uses an inert remedy takes 1d4 damage. Can only prepare a set number per day. Total number of remedies that can be prepared per day is 2 x Class Level. Drinkable Potions can be given to allies for them to use on their own. Drinking a potion requires 1 Action.

Remedies written in purple are Alchemical Medic specific.

Effects written in blue are added effects should the Alchemical Medic choose to modify their remedies.

Mundane Medicine: -1 action- The Medic applies medicine to a wound, healing 1d4 of health for each of the target’s turns for 3 turns. This can applied to a single target a maximum of two times allowing the healing to stack. The potency of the medicine increases when you reach certain levels in the class. 3rd level (2d4), 5th level (3d4), 7th level (4d4), 9th level (5d4), 11th level (6d4), 13th level (7d4), 15 level (8d4), 17th level (9d4), and 19th level (10d4).

Medicinal Bandage: -1 Action- The Medic wraps a bandage laced with medicine to their target, each healing 1d8 + WIS modifier. This heal increases when you reach certain levels in the class: 3rd level (2d8), 5th level (3d8), 7th level (4d8), 9th level (5d8), 11th level (6d8), 13th level (7d8), 15 level (8d8), 17th level (9d8), and 19th level (10d8).

Healing Draught: (Drinkable) The Medic creates drinkable Healing Draughts, each healing 1d8. This heal increases when you reach certain levels in the class: 3rd level (2d8), 5th level (3d8), 7th level (4d8), 9th level (5d8), 11th level (6d8), 13th level (7d8), 15 level (8d8), 17th level (9d8), and 19th level (10d8).

Splash Potion: -1 action- This potion is contained within a leather pouch that bursts on impact in a 10 ft diameter releasing a numbing agent along with some medicine. This heals 1d6 + WIS modifier points of health. The heal increases when you reach certain levels in the class: 3rd level (2d6), 5th level (3d6), 7th level (4d6), 9th level (5d6), 11th level (6d6), 13th level (7d6), 15th level (8d6), 17th level (9d6), and 19th level (10d6). This can potentially heal enemies assuming they are not automatons or undead. Range (20/60)

Purifying Herbs: By placing a special blend of herbs into water or food, the Medic can cleanse up to one gallon of water or 5 meals worth of food assuming they have the proper materials. Consuming this water/food removes poison and heals an amount equal to the Medic’s Wisdom Modifier. This healing effect can only occur once every hour.

Invigorating Potion: (Drinkable) This potion strengthens the consumer, temporarily returning energy and granting the target an additional 10 movement speed.

Jolt Potion: (Drinkable)This potion shocks the nerves of a body, curing the target if it is stunned or paralyzed.

Inspiring Potion: (Drinkable) This potion grants temporary HP by 1d6. The hp gained by this potion scales with your class level: 3rd level (2d6), 5th level (3d6), 7th level (4d6), 9th level (5d6), 11th level (6d6), 13th level (7d6), 15 level (8d6), 17th level (9d6), and 19th level (10d6).

Restoration Potion: (Drinkable) This potion cures disease and removes poison and grants immunity to poison for 1 hour.

Power Potion: (Drinkable) This potion increases the damage made with weapons by that who consumed it. This adds an extra 1d4 weapon damage. This damage scales with your class level. 5th level (3d4), 9th level (5d4), 13th level (7d4), 17th level (9d4), and 19th level (10d4). Effects last 10 minutes or until the consumer makes a Weapon Attack.

Smoke Bomb: -1 action- The Medic can throw a smoke bomb which creates a field of thick, obscuring gas that covers a 15 ft radius. Melee and Ranged attacks that are attempted while within this field are at disadvantage. Effects last 10 minutes.

Flashbang: -1 action- By mixing highly reactive minerals, the Medic throws a bomb that creates a bright flash on impact, blinding everything within a 10 ft radius. DEX Save, on a successful save the target is Blinded for 1 turn or is Blinded for 2 turns on a failed savel

(Incomplete) Ability Check Bonuses: Amount added to ability checks TBD

Anesthetic: Anesthetic can be used on a prone, grappled, restrained, stunned, or paralyzed on a target. The target must make a CON save. On a successful save, the target has their exhaustion level increased by one. On a failed save, the target is knocked unconscious for 10 minutes. Can be used by the Medic as a Bonus Action on a target they successfully Grapple in their turn.

Ability Potions: (Drinkable) The Medic can attune the abilities of others through their medicine. They can create the three following potions that add 2 to their saving rolls. Strength Save Potion, Dexterity Save Potion, and Constitution Save Potion. Effects last 1 hour.

Splash Poison: -1 action- The Alchemical Medic throws a flask of volatile poison that poisons units within a 15 foot radius. This damage equals 1d6 and scales with your class level. CON Save

Volatile Poison: Deals extra damage for the opponent’s next 2 turns equal to half the damage die (rounded down).

Choking Gas Bomb: -1 action- When thrown, this Gas Bomb creates an area with a 15 foot radius covered in a noxious gas, preventing those within it from speaking or casting spells that have a Verbal requirement so long as they stay within the gas field. Vision is also slightly obscured, granting disadvantage on ranged attacks.

Asphyxiation: Units within the gas field have their movement speed reduced by 10.

Weapon Poison: -1 action- When applied to a weapon, this poison will add 1d6 poison damage to the weapon attack. This damage scales with your class level: 3rd level (2d6), 5th level (3d6), 7th level (4d6), 9th level (5d6), 11th level (6d6), 13th level (7d6), 15 level (8d6), 17th level (9d6), and 19th level (10d6). CON Save

Neurotoxin - Weapon attacks made with the Weapon Poison stun the target for 1 round if they fail the Constitution Save.

Elemental Bombs: -1 action- The Alchemical Medic can craft four types of elemental bombs, each dealing 1d6 damage of that element in a 15ft radius. The elemental bombs are as follows: Fire Bomb, Acid Bomb, Lightning Bomb, or Ice Bomb. The damage scales with your class level: 3rd level (2d6), 5th level (3d6), 7th level (4d6), 9th level (5d6), 11th level (6d6), 13th level (7d6), 15 level (8d6), 17th level (9d6), and 19th level (10d6). DEX Save

Lingering Elements - Add half the damage die (rounded down) that deals extra damage on the enemy’s next turn.

Glue Bomb: -1 action- The Alchemical Medic throws a casket of glue which explodes in a 15 ft radius. This area is considered difficult terrain therefor all movement speed within this zone is halved.

Stronger Adhesive - Units caught within the initial blast have their movement speed reduced to 0 on their next turn.

Archetypes

Alchemical Medic

1 - 2 additional remedies, one must be Alchemist specific
1 - 1 Alchemical Modification (can modify an amount equal to your Wisdom modifier per day)
5 - New Modification
9 - 2 new remedies, one must be Alchemist specific
9 - Maximum Modification per day increase to twice your Wisdom modifier.
14 - New Modification
18 - Double Alchemical Modification usage per day
18 - The amount of remedies you can prepare per day are 3 x your class level.

Alchemical Modifications:
-Larger radius (+5 ft radius)
-Adding range (40/80)
-Mixing Effects (when applicable, can’t combine a beneficial remedy with a deterring remedy.)
-Boosted Effects (Alchemical list only)
-Salve (Can make Drinkable Potions applied through a Salve with the Medic's Action).

Combat Medic

The Combat Medic moves into the heart of a battle to aid the frontlines. To keep up, they gain proficiency with 2 Martial Weapons of their choice. Through Precise Maneuvers, they cause their targets to bleed, disable an arm (or appendage), or cease movement by striking at their tendons. They can use Precise Maneuvers to an amount equal to their Wisdom Modifier (Author's Note: reset on short or long rest?)

Class features are as follows.

1 - Can use Disengage as a Bonus Action

1 - As a reaction, the Combat Medic can apply a remedy to an ally within 5 ft if they are subject to being attacked. They can use this reaction before or after the attack.

5 - (Precise Maneuver) The Combat Medic can cause their melee weapon attack to bleed for 1d8 for their next 2 turns. Used as a Bonus Action when taking the Attack Action. Damage scales with class level: 7th level (2d8), 9th level (3d8), 11th level (4d8), 13th level (5d8), 15 level (6d8), 17th level (7d8), and 19th level (8d8).

9 - (Precise Maneuver) You can strike at the peroneal tendon of a target. The target must make a Constitution Save otherwise their speed is reduced to 0. (Limited uses based on your Wisdom Modifier). Used as a Bonus Action when taking the Attack Action.

9 - (Precise Maneuver) The Combat Medic strikes at their target which must then make a Constitution Saving throw. If the roll fails, the target can't use spells with somatic requirements and cannot use weapons which requires two hands for 1 turn (limited uses). Used as a Bonus Action when taking the Attack Action.

14 - Precise Maneuvers used per day is now twice your Wisdom Modifier

18 - TBD

Author's Notes

First things first, Why? Because I'm working on a society in D&D that doesn't really use magic (only on certain occasions) and I needed a healer that could do the healing job, not use magic, and fits the theme of the society.

The goal of this class was to make a class that could heal a party without any magic or spellcasting whatsoever (this does not include magical properties found in some ingredients).

There are two paths of this healing class, Alchemical Medic and Combat Medic. The Alchemical Medic can modify their potions and remedies and is able to make unique remedies that the Combat Medic cannot make. The Combat Medic gains better armor, more Crowd Control and is to be closer to the frontlines than the Alchemical Medic.

In short, I wanted the Alchemical Medic to be squishier, hang back and heal when need be while the Combat Medic will be less hesitant to get into the thick of things.

I'm aiming to make this more of a Heal Over Time based healer since medicine isn't as instant as magic and requires time to take effect. This should have the potential to heal a great deal but done so in small increments over time. This would be good for tanky teams who could tank it out while the medicines take their effect whereas a mage might struggle to benefit from the heals if they keep taking damage.

Here's some perspective. I'm not a big fan of magic myself. I don't play as wizards in D&D or MMORPGs. I prefer warriors or those without magic through use of determination or ingenuity. My D&D is limited since I've only been playing biweekly since March of this year. Having more experience from MMORPGs, I've seen a recurring theme in healers...

You have a powerful healer with a variety of healing capabilities at the cost of low offense abilities or being squishy, the Cleric can be seen as this role (low damage output, wide variety of heals).

Then there's another healer who primarily focuses on one target at a time, uses large amounts of resources when compared to other healers but they heal in LARGE chunks. The Tranquility Monk's Healing Hands or the Paladin's Lay On Hands can be seen as this since they can huge large portions of HP with high resources.

Then the final typical healer archetype is the HoT (Heal Over Time Healer). These healers could potentially outheal some of the other healers as the total numbers of healing done is larger but is done so in small increments. I'm trying to make something like this through non-magical means and medicine paired with HoTs seemed like a reasonable alternative.

I feel the Alchemical Medic's features when leveling could use some refinement and I need to think of something for level 18 that's befitting of the Combat Medic.

Any feedback/critique that could improve and refine this class would be greatly appreciated!

*** EDIT HISTORY ***

9-19-2017

*Adding Healing Draught to the Remedy List
*Updated Emergency to reset after a long rest.
*Updated Efficiency
*Updated Bedside Manner
*Updated Remedies Descriptions
*Updated Flashbang, Power Potion, and Anesthetic.
*Updated Alchemical Modification, Salve

9-20-2017
*Made Medium Armor Proficiency standard.

Kaskus
2017-09-19, 01:09 AM
First of all, welcome to the playground! I like that it's a non spellcaster.
I'm not well versed enough in 5e to comfortably comment on balance but here are some quick notes...

Emergency: If an ally was brought below 1/2 health since your last turn, you can dash as a bonus action so long as you move towards the injured ally. (Uses equal to Wisdom Modifier)

This and other abilities should specify whether they refresh on a short or long rest.

Efficiency: The Medic can now heal twice per turn.

"Heal" needs to be defined. Is this meant to be the use of a healers kit? Is it twice as one action or can they heal a second time as a bonus action if they use their action to heal as well? Can it / must it be used in the same target?

Bedside Manner: All healing abilities performed by the Medic now instantly heal health equal to their proficiency bonus + Wisdom modifier once when applied. (Does not proc on later HoT ticks)

I think "healing abilities" needs to be defined as well. Is it any ability that restores hit points? Does it only apply to abilities gained through this class?

Remedies go inert after 1 day and anyone who uses an inert remedy takes 1d4 damage. Can only prepare a set number per day. Total number of recipes that can be prepared per day is 2 x Class Level.

It seems like these can be handed out to other players for them to use themselves, is that right? I hope so, I like that option. It is something that other classes don't do and makes it stand out from spells.

I feel like the 5e pattern is to define usage per rest so this should probably do the same so the PC resources aren't renewing on different systems.

Also, while this looks right at first level, it seems to quickly get out of hand. Most or all remedies seem to autoscale with level which is like warlock spells being always cast at the highest level except you quickly accumulate lots of these. If the scaled version is level appropriate then there are probably too many of them. At level 3, you have 6 of them all at level 3 potency where a wizard would have 2 second level slots and 4 level one. Same number but only 2 at highest potency. If these are powered like cantrips though it's probably okay. Someone with stronger 5e knowledge can hopefully advise on that.

Power Potion:[/B] This potion increases the damage made with weapons by that who consumed it. This extra damage is 1d4. This damage scales with your class level. 5th level (3d4), 9th level (5d4), 13th level (7d4), 17th level (9d4), and 19th level (10d4).

This one seems off to me. How does it make them do more damage? The name infers it might increase their strength but a temp are bonus would seem more appropriate than untyped damage. Also, there is the weapon poison ability later that fills the "extra damage" niche so this may be too much. As written they stack so with the 2 of them, you have weapon damage + str mod + power potion dice + weapon poison dice.

Also, I don't see a duration on any of these effects?

Flashbang: -1 action- By mixing highly reactive minerals, the Medic throws a bomb that creates a bright flash on impact, blinding everything within a 10 ft radius for one turn (or 2 turns?).

This should have a save. You could have anyone that fails the save make a second save it remain blinded an additional round.

That's all I have for now. Hopefully it's somewhat helpful. I'm on mobile so please forgive me if I or my autocorrect have made any mistakes or automistakes. Hope to see more work on this.

Ruchalus
2017-09-19, 04:03 AM
That's all I have for now. Hopefully it's somewhat helpful. I'm on mobile so please forgive me if I or my autocorrect have made any mistakes or automistakes. Hope to see more work on this.

It's greatly appreciated, I'll go about correcting these.

Ruchalus
2017-09-19, 04:57 AM
It seems like these can be handed out to other players for them to use themselves, is that right? I hope so, I like that option. It is something that other classes don't do and makes it stand out from spells.

Also, while this looks right at first level, it seems to quickly get out of hand. Most or all remedies seem to autoscale with level which is like warlock spells being always cast at the highest level except you quickly accumulate lots of these. If the scaled version is level appropriate then there are probably too many of them. At level 3, you have 6 of them all at level 3 potency where a wizard would have 2 second level slots and 4 level one. Same number but only 2 at highest potency. If these are powered like cantrips though it's probably okay. Someone with stronger 5e knowledge can hopefully advise on that.

I've updated some of the remedies to say (Drinkable) which indicate that they require 1 action to drink. These potions can be handed to allies for them to be used when they wish.

As for the resources, truth is I got stuck there so a friend with more D&D experience came up with the idea that the amount of remedies is equal to 2 x (Class Level). I guess it seems like you get a lot but as you level, you'll want to prepare more utility potions or other abilities especially if you're an Alchemical Medic. One would have to choose between healing or utility.

As for the Scaling, I wasn't sure how to make healing from a Mundane Source scale so that it competes with Magical Healing. The Healing Draught is ripped off the Artificer from Unearthed Arcana which I used as a reference alongside Cleric. I basically use the Artificer's Healing Draught scaling for the other abilities scaling as a base.