PDA

View Full Version : In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]



Pages : [1] 2

Xian
2007-08-13, 04:39 PM
With cleverness and courage, you followed the route of the Pomarj. After penetrating the outer defenses, you came through to the slavers' mountain fastness in the heart of the Drachensgrab, the rocky spine of the mountain wall to see a town on an island in the middle of a vast crater lake. This was Suderham - the aerie of the slave lords.

You attacked the slave lords in their lair beneath Suderham, but on the verge of victory, things took a turn for the worse. With the choice between flight and annihilation, you chose flight. Now, you are all making haste through the tunnels and stone halls, trying to find an exit while the sounds of pursuit are mere moments behind. At a t-shaped intersection, you startle a patrol of guards in the hallway to the left. The hallway to the right appears to be empty. Behind you, the sound of pursuit grows closer as the startled guards ready to attack.

((Roll for initiatives to either fight or flee.))

JEntropy
2007-08-13, 05:36 PM
Alan Gibbs, Day 1

Initiative: [roll0]

(Free Action) Approaching the guards, Alan shouts at them Lower your weapons! NOW!

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 06:08 PM
Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
HP: 32/32
AC: 16
Touch AC: 11
FF AC: 15
Spells:
0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic


Initiative: [roll0]

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 06:23 PM
((Ooh, before I forget...))

Before he does anything, Jeando checks to see how many guards are in front of him and how many there seem to be behind him,

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-13, 06:25 PM
Mathias

Mathias says under his voice "I don't think they're gonna listen to ya, Alan."

[roll0]

Xian
2007-08-13, 06:33 PM
Jeando sees 4 guards to the left. The ones behind haven't caught up yet, but they sound to be about twice that number.

Godhand
2007-08-13, 08:16 PM
Tristan
With blood dripping from his armor and wicked looking ax, Tristan interposes himself between his group and the guards and growls,

"Move."

He stands tall, but running heavy mail isn't a picnic. Tristan edges into a stance and braces himself.


Crunch:
(FA) Speak (kind of)
Init [roll0]
He's willing to run, but I'm thinking even the hardiest warrior couldn't keep a quick move in heavy armor forever, even if he isn't encumbered.

Psionic Dog
2007-08-13, 08:28 PM
Rashnik

[roll0]
Moves to position himself so none of the guards can slip past without provoking an AoO. If the guards are in Medium/Heavy armor he figures he only has to delay them a few rounds so the slower party members can get a head start.

"Not More Guards! Jeando, get moving. I'll buy us a few rounds, then catch up with you." Rashnik hisses, moving his 7' frame to the middle of the left passage between the slaver guards and the spellcasters.

JEntropy
2007-08-13, 09:40 PM
Alan Gibbs

You all go on ahead, I'll pick up the rear with Rashnik. Get moving.

Batting Order:
Velvet Elvis (22)
13_CBS (19)
Krelon (12)
Godhand (11)
Psionic Dog (11)
Stick_Ninja (5)
JEntropy (4)


Not sure which of Godhand or Psionic Dog has a higher initiative mod.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 12:24 AM
Very well! shouts the cleric in a clear, powerful voice. Sir Alan! I recommend you do the same!

Krelon
2007-08-14, 04:05 AM
Aerhalyss

Initiative:[roll0]

"We'll have to make a stand to dispose of our immediate followers or run forever. If we can herd them to one single spot I might be able to cast something very nasty." While talking she moves 30ft. behind the fighters and casts mage armor.

(( Did we already fight the guards behind us? Do we know how tough the guards are? Are they those guys who bested us or are they just lackeys? ))

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-14, 06:27 AM
Sechrin

The tall elf in the blackened chain, skids to a halt behind the line of martialists. In the same motion, he says in his slightly imperious tone, "Spare the one on the right, for the moment. I believe he may wish to be our guide."

He stares at the guard as the man momentarily pauses in indecision. A gesture and the words, "Shi Tia Thol" are spoken in an entirely different voice, one that seems to echo within itself. The guard's eyes meet Sechrin's azure orbs for a moment.

OOCInit - [roll0]

I assume our running to this point counts as our move action for this opening round.

Casting Charm Person (standard action) on ye olde guarde, assuming ye olde guarde is of the humanoid type. Will save vs DC 15 or he becomes my buddy for the next 5 hours, assuming no one else in the party attacks him and he doesn't get, y'know, dead or something.

EDIT: Oh, and you said we startled these two guards, so if that's literally true, and my target is flat-footed, then the save DC becomes 16, instead, due to my Cloaked Casting ability.

Depending on initiative issues, I'll be targeting whichever of the two guards hasn't technically been engaged yet. If both are "in combat" with us by the time my init rolls around, the guard gets a +5 to his save, otherwise not.

In the event I succeed in the charm, I'll use a free action to inform everyone NOT to beat on him.

And in that event, will I have time to issue a simple order/request to him or will I have to wait until the next round?

JEntropy
2007-08-14, 08:35 AM
OOC: After Velvet Elvis' actions are resolved,

13_CBS is up
Krelon is on deck
Godhand Psionic Dog in the hole.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 09:04 AM
((Wait, so we ARE fighting? I'm so confused...))

Jeando will move towards the right so that all the guards, both startled and incoming, will be in front of him.

All of you! Flee!

Xian
2007-08-14, 11:17 AM
As the guards try to adjust to the intruders that suddenly appear before their eyes, the group attacks.
Sechrin unleashes his mental magic against the guard on the right wall. The man stops, stunned for a moment as his eyes dilate and lose focus...then shakes his head to clear his mind of the arcane suggestion (rolled a 17).
Jeando moves behind Rashnik and Alan, but remains facing towards the intersection to support his two companions. (You posted some slightly conflicting actions, so I tried to resolve it this way)
Aerhalyss moves to a safe position and weaves her spell. Armor of pure energy forms around her briefly before fading from view, though she can feel the spell's effect settling in.
Rashnik moves his huge frame into position to protect the other members of his party, making sure that no attacker will get by unharmed.
Tristan does the same, standing alongside the lizardman.

((Need an action from Mathias to conclude the round))

JEntropy
2007-08-14, 11:45 AM
Alan Gibbs

Alan moves to Rashnik's side, drawing blades and waiting for the guards to act.

If this isn't okay, ignore, but:

FA: Draw Daggers (Quick Draw)
SA: Ready attack if the guards engage

Assuming I used a single move to reach where Rashnik is positioned.

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-14, 12:06 PM
"Why do things always end up like this?" Mathias asks no one inparticular. Then he makes a small gesture and his hands flash white for a moment.

Sorry everyone, I slept in today...

Anyway, using the ability Combat Medic, which makes him unattackable for 10 rounds, and anyone making an AoO must make a Will save (not sure exactly what, I'll let you decide Xian). That's it then.

Xian
2007-08-14, 01:57 PM
Walled behind Tristan and the massive Rashnik, Mathias invokes his healing magic to render him able to help his companions.
Alan joins the defensive line with Tristan and Rashik.
The guards, recovering from their surprise, ready themselves to attack. Down the hallway, the pursuing guards sound louder.

((End of round; begin your moves for the next round. As with this past round, and for all future ones, you don't necessarily need to post "in order". Just make your actions known, adding alternatives if you think your actions will differ depending on the actions of others.))

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-14, 02:11 PM
((Mathias is going to hold his action, or heal if necessary))

JEntropy
2007-08-14, 02:28 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan glares menacingly at the readying guards, daggers outstretched. Right. Come on then.

Alan will delay his action until the guards act.

1. If he is engaged by a guard
MA: [roll0]
SA: Attack
- [roll1]
- [roll2]
- [roll3]
- [roll4]

2. If he is not engaged, but can flank a guard without provoking an AOO
MA: Flank
SA: Attack (with above rolls)

3. If he is not engaged, and has no safe flanking opportunity
MA: Engage a guard without provoking an AOO, if at all possible
SA: Attack (with above rolls)

In cases 2&3, would prefer to engage a guard one of my allies is already in combat with.

Sneak Attack damage in OOC thread (won't forget to put it here in the future).

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 02:36 PM
Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
HP: 32/32
AC: 16
Touch AC: 11
FF AC: 15
Spells:
0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic



Jeando will move forward in order to place himself somewhere between his companions and the guards, but making sure to stay of his companions' line of fire. He will then cast Create Water at the entrance to the intersection from the hall he just fled out of, aiming the spell behind his companions but (hopefully) in the path of the oncoming guards, hoping that the slippery water will make at least a few of them fall.

Sir Tristan! To the front line!

Krelon
2007-08-14, 04:23 PM
Aerhalyss

Positions herself 5ft. behind the line of fighters (( except the guards have reach weapons, in that case 10ft. )) Looking disapprovingly at one of the approaching men she clenches a thread of wool in her fist and says "Stop!".
Breakdown:

move into position (if necessary)
get a spell component: wool (FA)
cast daze at a guard. (if possible then ready an action to cast when the first guard approaches and comes into a square from where he could attack our fighters and cast the spell just before he attacks, if not possible then just cast at a guard within 35ft.)
make spellcraft check (FA) [roll0] to judge spell effect


if the guard has more than 4 HD he will ignore the spell (and I would like to know if that is the case, hence the spellcraft check)
if the guard has 4 or less than 4 HD he must make a Will Save DC 15 or loses his next action (he stops where he is standing and remains there until his next round).@Xian: In future, do you wish an explanation for each spell I use? The majority of the spells is from Players Handbook Ed.3.5, the rest (caltrops,cheat,combust,unluck) is from the official D&D supplement spell compendium.

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-14, 05:11 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin hisses ferally when the guard's far weaker mind managed to scurry away from his grasp. All this noise must have distracted him too much.

"If we flee farther we may run into more guards, so we should settle on whether we stand here, or take that chance!" he states tersely as he acts on a compromise by moving some distance down the empty corridor, drawing his longbow as he goes.

When he comes to a halt, he turns and snaps off a single bowshot at the guard nearest his comrades.

Before the arrow even passes halfway to the target, Sechrin already knows it is well off mark. Attempting to salvage something of the failure, he yells, "Consider that a warning! The next will be between the eyes!"

OOCI'm getting a head start in case everyone decides to try and run (though I seriously doubt we can all just leave them behind).

move: up to 30' down the "right" corridor that was described as empty, less if necessary to keep at least one of the guards (presumably one of the bunch that was on patrol) within 30'.

standard:
Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] + [roll2] (acid)

-- I assume I missed with this sad little roll, so I've edited in a bit of post-miss (free action) gumflapping --

Psionic Dog
2007-08-14, 05:13 PM
Rashnik braces his trident for a charge by the guards, and glance at his companions. "Well, start running! Can't you hear the horde catching up? ... Fine, stay then. Just drop me a heal before leaving when the old survival instinct kicks in."


Readied attack against any approaching guards with
[roll0] [roll1]
Double the damage if the target is charging.

This is assuming the guards are about 25-50 feet away.

If the guards are 15-20 feet away, I'll take a step backward, and keep backing up if the group joins me so I'm never more than 5' back from the most forward member.

If the guards are 5-10 feet away, I'll make a full attack (and 5' step).
(Will post full attack OoC if this is true)

Xian
2007-08-14, 06:53 PM
Sechrin's arrow flies wide, landing with a thunk and a hiss as the acid sizzles on the wall.
Jeando's blessings from his deity flood a section of the hallway they came down, leaving it slick to those who would carelessly run through it.
The first guard moves forward to engage Rashnik, thinking to take down the large lizardman. He slashes with his longsword, aiming to cleave his skull; fortunately his scales and height keep the damage minimal. (1 hp)
Ready for the assault, Rashnik stabs with his trident, scoring heavy damage to the guard. (12 hp)
The third guard is armed with a small crossbow and keeps his distance, firing a shot at Alan. Alan's breastplate makes its worth known as the bolt ricochets off his chest.
Aerhalyss' spell goes off, and the fourth guard stops and stares into space. The one next to him loses focus but for an instant before regaining his composure. The other two continue as if nothing had happened.

((Will continue resolution after Godhand's post))

Approximate map:

000000000000000000000000000000
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. T S .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 2 .. .. .. .. .. 1 R M .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. AlAe.. .. .. .. ..
.. .. .. 4 .. .. J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000


New Order:
Velvet Elvis (22)
13_CBS (19)
Guard 1 (16) -12hp
Psionic Dog(11) -1hp
Guard 3 (13)
Krelon (12)
Psionic Dog(11)
Godhand (11)
Guard 4 (6)
Stick_Ninja (5)
JEntropy (4)
Guard 2 (4)

Godhand
2007-08-14, 08:08 PM
Tristan

His ax faintly glowing, Tristan brings the blade into a tight arc, a sudden burst of energy on impact.

"Not even worth my time."


Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]


After (hopefully) killing the guard, Tristan moves diagonally down 1, and to the left three.

Krelon
2007-08-15, 08:42 AM
AerhalyssI may be 20 hours AFK, just in case I post my next turn so you can speed up things.

IF the big group which is following us is very near (for example visible): cast caltrops (see spell compendium), it will conjure 3 squares of caltrops (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/goodsAndServices.html#caltrops) exactly behind the water puddle:
# #
#x-x-x#
#~~~#
# # (( x- Caltrops, ~ Water, # dungeon walls ))
EDIT: those conjured caltrops wotk exactly like the mundane ones except: they get a magical +2 enhancement on attack rolls.

IF the big group is far away instead of casting caltrops: shoot the bow at the most seriously wounded guard. shot: [roll0], damage: [roll1]
if I cannot say who is wounded, the shot will be aimed at the guy with the crossbow.EDIT: ignore this post

Xian
2007-08-15, 11:43 AM
With a mighty slash, Tristan fells the injured guard, who slumps off of Rashnik's trident.
The fourth guard runs forward to avenge his comrade, thinking he can take out the isolated Jeando but misses his swing by a wide margin.
Mathias holds his position, watching the skirmish unfold and ready to assist with healing if necessary.
Alan, not allowing his companion to face the fight alone, rushes to Jeando's aid, going around behind the attacking guard to flank him. His first attack leaves a deep cut in the guard's armor, but the man remains unharmed. The second attack catches a chink in the armor and bites the man's flesh. (-5)
The second guard, also armed with a crossbow, takes aim at Rashnik, the large lizardman being an easy target, and indeed he hits...but Rashnik's leather armor absorbs all of the damage, as the bolt sticks in the leather without reaching his scaly hide.

Down the hallway, the pursuing group can be seen coming into view, and only half are actually dressed in armor and carrying swords. One of the men in light clothing stops and points in the direction of the group. It seems an unnecessary action, what with the group being in plain sight, until a ball of purple energy forms at the end of his finger and then launches toward the group, smacking Alan upside the head with eldritch energy (-8)

Order:
Velvet Elvis
13_CBS
Psionic Dog -1hp
Guard 3
Krelon
Godhand
Guard 4 -5hp
Stick_Ninja
JEntropy -8hp
Guard 2
Warlock

Map:
000000000000000000000000000000
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. S .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 2 .. .. T .. .. x R M .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. ..
.. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. 5 6 ..|00000000000000
0000000|W .. .. ..|00000000000000


((End round 2))

Psionic Dog
2007-08-15, 02:50 PM
Rashnik
Rashnik glares at the guard who shot at him, and with a snarl charges the guard, sheathing his short sword as he moves to grasp his trident with two hands.

OOC Charging, Attacking with trident, Power Attack (2)
[roll0] [roll1]
If the dead body prevents me from charging, I'll use a move action to to reach the crossbowman. (Subtract 2 from attack roll if charging is not allowed.)

If I can't sheath a weapon as part of my move action, I'll drop the shortsword.

If my allies manage to kill both crossbowman, or the crossbowman flee, Rashnik will instead move down 2 and 1 to the right. If I can both sheath and draw weapons while taking a move action, Rashnik will also draw his longbow and shoot the warlock.
[roll2] [roll3]

Finally, I'm still listed twice in the attack order.

13_CBS
2007-08-15, 06:11 PM
000000000000000000000000000000
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. T S .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 2 .. .. .. .. .. x R M .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. ..
.. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. 5 6 ..|00000000000000
0000000|W .. .. ..|00000000000000

On his turn, Jeando will deal #4 a blow with his merciful Greatsword.

attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] --+6 from 1.5x STR bonus, + 1d6 from Merciful magic feature. All damage is subdual.

13_CBS
2007-08-15, 06:17 PM
OOps, mistake on my part on the damage roll:

[roll0]

JEntropy
2007-08-15, 08:48 PM
Alan Gibbs

Wincing from the blow to his head, Alan closes his eyes for a moment, then lashes out again at the guard in front of him. After slashing with both daggers, he withdraws out of sight of the warlock.

SA: Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

MA: Five foot step to the left (away from the hallway)

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-16, 09:16 AM
"Alan, wait up a moment!" Mathias runs over to him and touches his arm, hands glowing with a white fire, and Alan suddenly feels like he was never hit.

Alright,first moving over to Alan, then using 8 points of Lay on Hands to heal him, leaving 37 pts left.

Krelon
2007-08-16, 12:40 PM
Aerhalyss
moves diagonally to the south-west and peeks around the corner, prepared to cast a spell.Ae marks the new position

.. .. 3 .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000

I hope she can peek around the corner, therefore getting as much cover as possible against the guys down there and still see what's going on.She flings a tiny red glowing orb down the corridor.Actions:
- move to corner (see spoiler above)
- check how the spellcasters are distributed... the corridor is 20ft. wide, the fireball goes 20ft. in all directions, that should cover the entire breadth and a lot of length. Approximately a 40ftx20ft rectangle and the entire height of the tunnel.
- cast a suddenly maximized fireball (using up my 1/day use of the sudden maximize feat) at a spot from where the blast affects all the enemy spellcasters. I try to get as many warriors as well but spellcasters (soft clothes) are primary.
If for some reason that is not possible, tell me my options. I could delay until they move into range or hit all but one or something like this.

- fireball does 5d6 fire max. = 30 with a reflex save DC 18

Xian
2007-08-16, 01:34 PM
((Krelon, if you're peeking around the corner to cast the spell, then there's gonna be a few penalties.
-You'll lose some of the cover since you'll be exposing some of yourself to cast the spell, I'm thinking going down to half cover. And due to the awkward angle of leaning around while casting, the concentration check has a 2 point penalty, so the DC is 10+2+spell level.
-You can keep the cover and not worry with the concentration check if you're willing to only aim for what's in your line of sight
-or you can lose the concentration check if you're willing to abandon the cover and move over 5' so you have a clear view.))

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-16, 01:50 PM
Sechrin

From his position, he couldn't see the threat from the southern corridor, but the bolt of energy that smashed into the martial rogue's face made it obvious their pursuers weren't all simple guards. To Sechrin, in particular and at this moment, the fact was set aside as mostly irrelevant.

Slipping into a less crowded position so as to avoid certain potential problems, Sechrin moves a bit down the corridor and lines up another shot at a guard, dead straight ahead in the intersection.

OOCmove from current position SE/E, putting me E/E of Aerhalyss' position before she moves.

Longbow shot at G3

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] + [roll2] (acid)

no PBS bonus applied to either roll due to distance.

Krelon
2007-08-16, 02:24 PM
(( actions slightly changed ))ok, edited map in post above.
ACTIONS:
- move next to Jeando (1 square NE)
- look down the corridor and cast fireball as described in prev. post (hopefully getting all or all minus one spellcasters and as many warriors as possible in the blast area).
- If the casters are spread so much that I cannot get them then instead of casting move back 30ft. to the right and disappear behind the corner.

Godhand
2007-08-18, 11:40 AM
Tristan

Tristan glowers at the crossbowmen behind his helmet, and charges the third guardsmen with his ax leading the way. He growls as he stumbles right before contact.


Charging G3. Tristan should be directly in front of the third guard. If the lizardman attacks G3, he'll attack G2.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
4 (possibly 5 on a miss) uses of DM

Xian
2007-08-20, 12:35 PM
Sechrin takes a shot at one of the ranged guards, landing a good shot on the guard's leg, who grunts in pain at first, and then stifles a moan as the acid eats away at some of his flesh.
Jeando attacks the guard in front of him, felling him in one blow. However, the unusual properties of Jeando's sword merely leave the man unconscious on the ground.
Rashnik's trident is not so merciful. His pronged weapon skewers the crossbowman before he can fire off another shot.
The remaining bowman, now a mere 5 feet away from the terrifying lizardman, flees, not wishing to also end up impaled upon his deadly weapon.
Aerhalyss moves so that she can see down the corridor towards the attackers. Taking aim, she launches a fireball down the hallway, detonating in their midst to devastating effect. Two of the guards and one of the spellcasters are floored outright. The warlock and one of the guards manage to avoid any damage purely by the luck of the gods themselves, and the remaining spellcaster and two other guards take some heavy damage, but are still standing.
With all immediate threats dead, fled, or incapacitated, Tristan holds his position to focus on the oncoming threat.
Calling his powers into play, Mathias lays his healing hands on Alan's head, and the wounds of the blast close over as if they never were.
Alan, not wishing to experience such a blast again, withdraws immediately around the corner out of sight of the spellcaster.
The warlock, apparently offended by Mathias' interference, sends a blast at Tristan instead. Catching him full in the chest (-10 hp), the blast arcs off of Tristan and into the just-healed Alan (eldritch chain, -9hp).
Guard 5 continues his charge forward, sword flashing and bellowing in rage. Guard 7 imitates him almost perfectly.
The remaining spellcaster, perhaps inspired by Aerhalyss' invocation, sends a small glowing orb streaking down the hallway, only to blast into a spherical inferno in the middle of the group. Rashnik manages to avoid some of the damage (-7 hp), though Tristan is not so lucky and takes the full blast (-18 hp) as do Mathias (-16 hp), Aerhalyss (-13 hp) and Jeando (-17 hp). Alan's rogueish instincts kick in and leave him as unscathed as Sechrin, who manages to be just outside the blast radius.
The final guard also chooses to attack from afar and launches a crossbow bolt straight ahead at Jeando, but misses by a very wide margin.

Order:
Velvet Elvis
13_CBS -17hp
Psionic Dog -8p
Krelon -13hp
Godhand -28hp
Stick_Ninja -16hp
JEntropy -9hp
Warlock
Guard 5
Guard 7
Sorcerer
Guard 8


Map:
000000000000000000000000000000
.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. x R .. T .. .. x .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
.. .. .. .. M .. .. Ae .. .. .. .. S .. .. ..
.. .. .. Al .. u J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. 5 .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. 7 .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. 8 ..|00000000000000
0000000|W .. .. S|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. x ..|00000000000000
0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000


((End round 3))

Godhand
2007-08-20, 12:44 PM
Tristan

Wincing as the searing flames cover him, Tristan touches his hand to his chest, and feels a warmth of energy flow through him. The burns close to a large degree, and only trace amounts are left.

Tristan moves next to the priest, grimly awaiting the advancing guards.


Lay Hands on self for 15, MAXhp-3 now.

Moving to the square right of the cleric.

ooc: Lv 6. sorcerer? Yesh...

Xian
2007-08-20, 01:03 PM
Tristan
ooc: Lv 6. sorcerer? Yesh...


((At LEAST lvl 6. Muahahah:smallamused:))

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-20, 01:27 PM
((Xian, I hjave combagt medic up, he can't attack me))

13_CBS
2007-08-20, 03:55 PM
Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
HP: 15/32
AC: 16
Touch AC: 11
FF AC: 15
Spells:
0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic

Jeando hisses in pain as the blast sears a good bit of his flesh away.

By Pelor...the spellcaster must be stopped!

Jeando will cast Searing Light at the sorcerer who launched the spell against his companions and then move to the right, out of sight from the sorcerer.

Attack roll for Searing Light: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Xian
2007-08-20, 06:56 PM
((Xian, I hjave combagt medic up, he can't attack me))
((Ah, I forgot about that. Thank you for the reminder. Just to clarify, this makes you impervious to all damage, or it simply means that you can't be directly targeted? I just need to know because you weren't the specific target.))

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-20, 06:58 PM
((Oh, if it's because I wasn't the target, it's ok. I just can't be attacked.))

Xian
2007-08-20, 07:01 PM
((Right-o. I'll adjust the actions for the Warlock tomorrow, but the fireball damage stays as there was no one target.))

Psionic Dog
2007-08-20, 09:36 PM
Rashnik (20/28)

The lizardman drops his trident with a curse as he realizes it is off little use with no foes this side of the water. Heeding Jeando's suggestion he pulls out his bow and fires a shot at the sourcer.

[roll0]
[roll1]


Again, if I can sheath and draw a weapon together as a move action, I do so. (Please tell me if my weapons are in a pile by my feet or safely in their sheaths.)

Also, if more casters and/or guards are coming up the corridor behind the ones on the map, Rasknik says "There's too many, start running!" Rashnik will also scream this if both he and Jeando miss.

If the Searing Light drops the sourcer, the bow shot will target the Warlock.

Just in case I need a spot to see past the map edge... [roll2]

JEntropy
2007-08-20, 11:24 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan leans back against the wall, catching his breath and wincing from the second eldritch blast.

I'm confused as to why I'm down 26. First EB takes me down eight, which our healer apparently restored, then I take 9 from the chain? I'm missing something, I'm sure, but since I only have 31, it makes a difference ;)

I'm in no shape to go charging in, he says in a hushed tone, but if you can draw them out I'll attack the flank. Sadly, I've no way of reaching those damned spellslingers from here.

Holding action until a more opportune moment during the round, ideally if the guards charge by and I can get into a flanking position. If I can manage it, here's the attack:

MA: Flank
SA: Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

However, if I'm at 5 hp like you've said, there's no way I'm going anywhere out in the open. Alan will instead inch further down the wall, stumble down to the floor, tell the others not to worry about him just yet, and wait out the rest of the fight. He won't want to take up the healer's time while the others are still in the thick of things.

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-21, 12:27 AM
Sechrin

Sighing heavily as he witnesses some of the others being fried like rats over a campfire, and not looking much better, he shifts position so that he can view just as much of the southern corridor as he needs for his intentions. The sooted walls and the smell of burnt flesh reminded him that putting oneself closer into harm's way was rarely a good idea. He'd have to think about the wisdom of doing so later--if he still had a brain to think with.

Sechrin raises a hand, finger pointed at a spot somewhere down the southern hall, and once again intones ancient words in that strange double-echoing manner, "Shys os Mol!" A puff of grey appears about twenty five feet beyond the juncture forming the tee intersection, as if spewing from the center of the stone wall. Within a heartbeat, the puff expands filling the entire corridor, floor to ceiling, wall to wall with grey, roiling fog.

"I suggest you take this opportunity to move away from this area to heal and improve your positions while you have a chance," Sechrin urges in a normal, but serious voice.

OOCI'm going to refer to the map I posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3058595&postcount=38) for better accuracy in referencing things. Quick aside...I lamed out and didn't use numbers for the horizontal axis. I claim brain fatigue. Anyway, assume the second letter is the horizontal axis for the following:

move from C-P to A-L, from which I have line of sight to my intended centerpoint for the Fog Cloud spell, which I am placing at the intersection of I-J and F-G, against the western wall.

I'm assuming there will be no "volume compensation in confined spaces" rules in play, since there wasn't for the fireball, so this fog cloud will just fill all the squares from row F through row M in the southern corridor (up to the ceiling). Note that it will conveniently obscre the water-covered spaces on the floor, which should present an additional hazard to those crossing through it. Movement through the fog (for those that can't somehow see normally in it or by some other means than vision) counts as twice as many squares (i.e. count each as 10'). Ref: PHB p232.

Krelon
2007-08-21, 04:13 AM
Aerhalys
"Damn!" 3 silvery glittering semi-opaque energy darts leap out of her hand and corkscrew their way down the corridor unerringly hitting an enemy spellcaster. Before they even hit she turns on the spot and heads out of the crosing.cast magic missile x 3 [roll0] at fireballer (if sorceror is still standing) or at warlock (if sorc down already)
move 25ft right and 5 ft. down ("cuddling" to the dungeon wall, hence hopefully out of line of sight and area of nasty effects)

Psionic Dog
2007-08-21, 08:49 AM
Rashnik (20/28) [Revised battle orders]

"HA! That'll stop em' for a few seconds, lets take that and run, we need the time to heal anyway." Rashnik calls as he moves to take cover behind the corner across from Alan (DK on lettered Grid).

If Rashnik had to drop the short sword, he picks it up and ends his turn at the indicated location.

If he was able to sheath his weapon when charging earlier, he continues moving down the wall another 15 feet (to DN on lettered Grid) and draws it.

Xian
2007-08-21, 10:53 AM
((I made some changes to the round resolution due to bad math. The only action that changed was the initial eldritch blast hit Tristan instead of Mathias. Otherwise, I made hp adjustments for Tristan, Mathias, and Alan. JEntropy, I have zero idea how I did the math that Alan had lost 26 hp; that was some crazy math that has been corrected.))

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-21, 11:08 AM
Not saying anything, Mathias waits and goes last in thier escape, since he can't be attacked, and incase anyone falls.

Xian
2007-08-29, 11:41 AM
Pelor's favor shines on Jeando as the divine light arcs down the hallway and sends the staggering sorcerer to the life beyond.
Rashnik sends a bolt after the remaining spellcaster, but strikes the stone wall in front of the man instead.
Aerhalys' missiles are far more accurate as their never-missing accuracy pound into the warlock. (-12 hp)
Tristan tends to his own wounds to keep himself standing for the fight. (+15 hp)
Alan, a little dazed from all of the damage and recovery his body has taken in such a short time span, holds his position until a guard should be so foolish enough as to get within range of his deadly blades.
Sechrin's magic produces pleasing results as the hallway fills with a conjured cloud, obscuring the view of all within.
There is a low chanting from where the warlock was last seen, and ends with a shout. Sechrin's mist dissipates, giving clear view of the hallway.....and then reforms as if nothing had happened. The voice of the warlock roars in frustration. (Failed Voracious Dispelling)
Choosing a more direct approach, relying on what he last saw, the closest guard can be heard approaching forward, albeit at a much slower rate than before. This is immediately followed by a *swip*THUD* right at the edge of the mist.
Further back, quarreling can be heard. "It's the best shot we've got." "No, you fool, you can't see where you're aiming!" "Doesn't matter, I'll get 'em anyways!" "NO! NOT HERE!"
Then, inexplicably, a blazing orange light can be seen through the fog and a wave of heat hits the party. Then, all is quiet, save for a light moaning where the "thud" was heard.

Order:

13_CBS -17hp
Psionic Dog -8p
Krelon -13hp
Godhand -13hp
Stick_Ninja -16hp
JEntropy -9hp
Velvet Elvis
Guard 5


((End of combat))

Krelon
2007-08-29, 01:04 PM
Aerhalyss

The badly singed elf swipes the last trails of smoke from her coat and cursing under her breath she moves cautiously back to the group. Whispering: "Hey guys, did you also hear that one of 'em is still around? Sechrin, do you think you can ask this one politely to be our guide?" She touches a blackened spot on her arm and moans softly "Aww... can someone spare a heal?"

JEntropy
2007-08-29, 02:09 PM
Alan Gibbs

After peeking down the hallway and into the mist, Alan looks back at the others:

Good show, everyone - but we should keep moving before whoever was still back there shows up with more guards. Left or right? he asks, looking for someone to take the lead.

Stick_Ninja
2007-08-29, 02:43 PM
Mathias

Mathias smiles at Aerhalyss and says, "Of course." and walks over and, hands glowing, touches her burnt arm, healing it. He then waits for anyone else to mention injuries.

((Just using enough healing to cover her, and if anyone else asks, he'll heal them too))

Psionic Dog
2007-08-29, 03:04 PM
Rashnik

Rashnik looks at Sechrin and says, "A guide would help, if you have the power to... recruits... reliable aid, but Alan is right, we dare not wait long this deep inside the slaver's fortress. If you can get the information needed to get us out fast, so be it. If not, I say we go left. That other guard probably alerted everyone right."

Krelon
2007-08-29, 04:12 PM
Aerhalyss

Smiles back at Mathias and says, "Thank you".
Looking back at the fog cloud she adds, "I'd take the chances and spare a few moments to go through the cloud and take a look on the guys we just beat, they could carry keys, plans, maps, written orders and other useful things. If we work together we could drag them out of the mist quickly and check - at least the spellcasters. I have a hunch we'll need every piece of intelligence we can get... just running around blindly is not satisfying"

Velvet Elvis
2007-08-29, 06:08 PM
Sechrin

"I'm afraid once in place, I can't dismiss the fog at will, so if you'd care to see if those other two have fried themselves, you'll need to go through it. They didn't appear to be the types to use subtlety, so I suspect they're not lying in wait," he offers to anyone that cares to listen.

Rubbing a fingertip across the contour of one brow, he adds, "If one of you would drag that injured guard to where we can see him, I'll see what I can do to convince him to cooperate."

13_CBS
2007-08-29, 06:50 PM
Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
HP: 17/32 (Or is it? I'm a little confused...)
AC: 16
Touch AC: 11
FF AC: 15
Spells:
0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic


Jeando's face is full of mourning as he gazes at where the sorcerer once stood.

May Pelor forgive me for the murder I have just comitted... He sighs and casts a bit of healing on himself:

((Jeando will convert Comprehend Languages to cast CLW on himself:

[roll0]

He then marches off to drag over the guard's beaten body to Sechrin.

You required a prisoner, sir Sechrin?

Godhand
2007-08-29, 08:18 PM
Tristan

While the others tend to their wounds and the guard, Tristan walks over to the fog and waits a few feet from the boundaries. He brings himself to ready yet relaxed stance, wincing slightly at the burns on his skin behind his faceplate.

Psionic Dog
2007-08-29, 08:43 PM
Rashnik

The lizardman shrugs and walks over to Tristan, his weapons as a moves. "Well, they need a guard. Let's see if the forward guard survived," he says after a moments pause before steeping into the fog to feel the ground inside.

Rashnik only moves 5 feet into the fog so he can still see his companions, and searches the ground within his reach (10 ft into the fog).

Just in case finding a body requires skill, [roll0]

If the guard resists being moved...
[roll1]
[roll2]

Xian
2007-08-30, 10:30 AM
((13_CBS, you're good with the hp. That healing brings you up to 24/32 now, no? You're in good shape for now.))

Rashnik feels around the foggy area where he thinks the thud was heard, taking care not to slip in the water under his feet. It's a short search before he finds the fallen guard who is still softly moaning and faintly complaining about his head; lifesavers that they may be, helmets do not provide the most comfortable resistance to head trauma. Had he not slipped, he would have broken through the fog and quite likely used his sharp longsword on a member of the party. He seems unaware of the lizardman at the moment.

Krelon
2007-08-31, 04:48 AM
Aerhalyss

Addressing the guys who are not dealing with the guard, "The questioning might take a while. Let's quickly check out what happened in the fog bank. Did they flee, do they hide, can we salvage knowledge or something useful? Come on, follow me." You see the elf beckoning to follow her before she takes off.
If I am right it will take a few rounds to drag out/beguile/question the guard to find out what's the best course of action.

In the meantime Aerhalyss will cast detect magic and caustiously stepping over the water she will go down the corridor, (( looking at your ASCII map: walking next to the left wall where the W is )) ready to encounter a living hiding person. Sight is 5ft. so that should cover half of the corridor. She'll walk down 9 squares behind the water line, then change the side and walk up. Count people lying.

During the walk she'll take backpacks, parchments, note books, case scrolls and such from the droppped persons. If she sees something magical that can be removed quickly (weapon, rod, ring, amulet, belt with potions,...) she'll take that too. Each person found (on the way or 5ft. next to the path) will get a quick search primarily for anything with things written on it or a map. She will not stop to read or identify anything, just move on as fast as possible (ok, maybe also grab a fat purse).

(( If someone from our group whi is not dealing with the guards follows (I hope so) she'll point out magical things to them and search together. In an effort to coordinate she'll give hand signs: Some could go down the left side, others could go down the right side to cut the time in half and to search faster / aid another / skip a guy who has been searched by someone else and move straight to the next ))
(( If you say that this will take a lot time, I'll cut down the search to the spellcasters since I believe it's more likely that they - rather than the guards - possess relevant knowledge ))
search
1st found spellcaster: [roll0]
2nd found spellcaster: [roll1]
3rd found spellcaster: [roll2]

Xian
2007-08-31, 10:50 AM
Making her way swiftly but carefully down the foggy hallway, Aerhalyss first comes across the prone body of one of the guards in the middle of the hallway. Scorch marks on her skin and armor suggest that she burned to death. A search of her belongings reveal a potion of some sort and about 3 gold coins. Shortly beyond her and in front of Aerhalyss is the charred remains of the warlock. If he was carrying anything of value, it was incinerated in the blast.

Reaching the end of the fog, Aerhalyss finds the body of the sorcerer. His possessions of any note include 10 silver pieces and a scroll that seems to contain two spells on it. She then goes to the opposite wall and heads back towards the group. Near the body of the first guard, she finds the body of the second guard. His cause of death seems to be the same and bears worse evidence of injury than his companion. A search of his body reveals little, but he's wearing an odd necklace. At first glance, it seems to be a pair of red glass beads on a cheap thread, but a closer inspection reveals that the thread is instead a fine gold chain and the two beads shimmer and swirl with energy inside. Hurrying back, Aerhalyss rejoins the group with her findings.

((Potion needs a Spellcraft check or Identify, scroll needs a Spellcraft check or Read Magic, necklace needs Knowledge (Arcana) check or Identify. Of course, experimentation is always allowed for thrill seekers.))

Krelon
2007-09-01, 03:53 AM
Aerhalyss

"Bad news guys, I counted 2 spellcasters and 2 guards, I think I saw at least 3 casters before the fog kicked in. Also, no maps of any sort."

Before the walk Aerhalyss had cast detect magic and it is still on, maybe that gives some additional info about the objects found?
((in the order of your post))
spellcraft [roll0] potion ... failed, I guess :smallmad:
spellcraft [roll1] scroll
knowledge(arcana) [roll2] necklace

ah, yes .... before reading the scroll I drop valuables, move 20ft away from the group (in case the scroll explodes)


After examining the new found potion briefly she hands it to the cleric, "Uhmm, do you know what kind of potion it is? It's kinda strange" *cough* She turns away quickly so he doesn't see her red face and goes on with the other items.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-01, 06:04 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin moves to observe the guard for a moment, cocking an appraising eye toward him.

He turns to Jeando, and asks, "Would you please check this man for life-threatening injuries?" Then turns to Alan, and asks, "Please bind his hands behind him. Securely, but be reasonable. He was only doing his job, after all." Sechrin's position has his face away from the guard's eyes, and he adds a conspiratorial wink to his request of Alan.

As these things are being taken care of, he speaks to the guard.

"Now, we have no interest in harming you any more than you already have been. We're merely on our way out, and prefer to live to do so, and have no interest in injuring any of your fellow guardsmen on the way. Your most recent comrades were dispatched out of necessity, not desire. So, it would be useful for us both if you would be civil and answer some questions for us, primarily as regards the most efficient path to exit this place. Bear in mind, however, that we have methods of checking your answers, so you should consider this an opportunity to both be rid of us, and save your hide. You can then go back to your job no one the wiser." Sechrin's words were calm, reassuring and uncomplicated.

13_CBS
2007-09-01, 07:32 AM
Jeando nods and proceeds to check the man for injuries.

Heal check[roll0]

More concerned with the man's possible injuries, he sets aside the magic potion for later inspection.

Godhand
2007-09-01, 02:18 PM
Tristan

Seeing things relatively calm for the moment, Tristan secures his shield and weapon, and closes his eyes. In and out he breathes, almost oblivious to the world. After perhaps a minute of this, A slight warmth plays across his mail. Again he beings to breathe, then seems to snap out of his trance and watches the group.


If given the time, Tristan will meditate for 1 minute and regain his Lay Hands, use it, and then meditate for another minute. If all these actions can happen, Tristan should be at MaxHP-3 and on his last lay hands of the day.

JEntropy
2007-09-01, 03:58 PM
Alan Gibbs

As you wish, Sechrin, as he drops his pack, reaches in the top to grab a coil of hempen rope. He straddles the guard, taking his hands around the back and binding them.

1d20+5

Will that work for you? he says, tugging at the knot, then standing up again and donning the pack.

Alan glances quickly down the other hallway, I'm going to do some quick recon - I won't be long.

Alan is going to try and stealthily examine the left arm of the T while the others loot and interrogate. He is inching his way slowly along the lower wall. Blades are sheated.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

JEntropy
2007-09-01, 03:59 PM
I messed up my Use Rope roll, I guess you can't use parentheses?

Again, with the EA synergy: [roll0]

Stick_Ninja
2007-09-02, 09:33 PM
Mathias sits tight, waiting.

Xian
2007-09-04, 11:03 AM
Aerhalyss

The potion is indeed....a potion. Not much else can be determined at the moment, though.
The scroll is a bit more useful. It's a scroll of Magic Missile written at a caster level of 5. And what's more, it's written twice, doubling the use of the scroll!
The necklace is the true beauty of the bunch - it's a Necklace of Fireballs. The only hitch is you can't quite tell what type it is....it's either a Type I and it's missing its most powerful charge, or it's a Type III and it's missing its weakest and most powerful charges. Either way, it's probably what caused the explosion in the fog.

Alan binds the ropes tightly around the prisoner while Mathias watches and Tristan tends to his wounds as Aerhalyss takes time to identify the various items she found. Once finished with the binding, Alan begins skulking down the hallway for some reconnaissance.
Jeando's inspection turns up a nasty bump on the head, and perhaps a little malnutrition due to an unbalanced diet, but the man is an otherwise healthy individual.
The man, having regained a higher degree of lucidity than he had a moment ago, focuses on Sechrin, makes as though to clear his throat, and promptly spits in his inquisitor's face, but retains a look of guarded caution, even a touch of fear, as opposed to outright hostility and hatred.

((Tristan has enough time to bring up his hit points, as he's acting concurrently with Aerhalyss' inspections and Alan's rope binding technique. By the end of this "round", so to speak, Alan has worked his way down the hallway a bit, but is still somewhat close to the party. Unless mentioned otherwise, the hallway meanders a little bit, but has no major intersections and is uninhabited.))

Krelon
2007-09-04, 12:36 PM
Aerhalyss

After examining the items she waits a bit until there is a break in the questioning, then she addresses her fellows, "I keep the scroll, don't think any of you can cast magic missile. Though maybe Sechrin can? In case you wonder who killed the guys in the fog, one of 'em used this necklace of fireballs..." she shows the item around "...to create a suicide blast. That guy you are interrogating here was really lucky or they would have grilled him, too."

"Any of us can use this necklace. See, you simply wear it then remove a sphere and hurl where it should explode, but I'm not sure how powerful the spheres are exactly. Unless in total emergency we better identify the amount of stored energy first. Is anyone willing to take care of the item? I have still a lot of spells memorized"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-04, 09:36 PM
Sechrin

Tilting his head down as the guard spits at him, he wipes away the filth with the hem of his cloak. He sighs as he looks back down at the helpless guard.

"Apparently, I value your life more than you do," he says, almost apologetically, and without a trace of animosity.

"Alright, how about we strike a small deal? I'll be honest and say that we have no real use for you, and as I said earlier, we're not so bloodthirsty as to kill you out of spite." He's heard Aerhalyss' comments about the fireball, and looks toward the fog for a moment. "And we're not interested in considering you entirely expendable as your comrades apparently did." There was obvious sarcasm in that.

"So, I'm going to ask you one question, and then let you go. I'll assume for the sake of argument, that you will not become violent, and simply take the opportunity to leave. It would not be advisable, to do otherwise, obviously."

Sechrin crouches down adjacent to the guard and looks at him. "All I wish to know is if you've seen anyone recently do or say this...."

He intones the words, "Shi Tia Thol!" in that odd echoing voice, and performs a few figures in the air before the guard.

OOCOkay, trying Charm Person again, DC15, unless you want to consider my earlier and curent ruse to be enough to calm him into technical flat-footedness for purposes of my Cloaked Casting, which would make the DC16, instead. For his sake, I hope he saves, cuz I've got another spell that he's not going to like at all. :)

13_CBS
2007-09-04, 09:50 PM
Jeando quietly stands off to the side, keeping a wary eye out for any interrogation techniques straying off towards evil means...

Psionic Dog
2007-09-05, 09:29 AM
Rashnik (20/28)

Rashnik looks up and down the hallways holding his bow at the ready, waiting for Alan to return. "Perhaps our scout should take necklace. If he ever gets in trouble alone it could save his life."

Xian
2007-09-05, 10:54 AM
The man's eyes dilate a bit and his features relax in such a manner as if a tightly coiled rope were suddenly let lax. "Why no, I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say that before. What's it mean?"

Krelon
2007-09-05, 01:43 PM
Aerhalyss

"Good idea, I'll give it to Alan when he's back", and seeing how Sechrin seems to have everthing uder control she beams a smile at him. In an effort to make it more comfortable for the guard around the party she adds, "Pooh, I'm really thirsty after all that running, does someone have a flask of water? I think our friend here could use a mouthful himself, don't you?"It's a puny attempt to do an aid another to give Sechrin another +2 circumstance bonus on whatever charisma based checks he wants to throw at the prisoner. At least it shouldn't make anything worse.
[roll0]

JEntropy
2007-09-05, 02:09 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan stalks quietly through the hallway, still keeping close to the wall, keeping eye and ear poised while he searches for an exit, rooms of note, or anything worth bringing word about back to the party.

Alan will continue to make his way down the hallway until he is beyond the point where he can hear or see the group behind him, then he will turn around. Once he returns he will either respond with:

(1) Nothing down that way, I'm going to venture down the other hall...

(2) It's a ways down, but I think I found something we should look into... (fill in the blank)

(I say this only because Alan is supposed to be only a short ways from the party, when I intend for him to cut some distance away. Perhaps this will affect the outcome of his search).

In the interest of expendiency, rolls for the other hallway:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

If encountered, Alan will engage any single foe but retreat from any group, back in the direction of his party.

Krelon
2007-09-05, 02:16 PM
when Alan is back he will be stopped and offered the necklace (and told how to use it (see my and Rashniks post above for reasoning) before he leaves again

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-05, 09:59 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin catches Aerhalyss' smile and returns it as he stands from his crouch.

"Well, that's a good thing, then," he says, as if greatly relieved. Looking back down at the guard, he says, "Oh my, it seems one my overzealous companions has mistaken you for someone else," he exclaims, bending to untie the man's bonds. "So very sorry for that, Garrick."

Sechrin looks into the man's eyes, as he guesses entirely at a name. "Please forgive me, if I've gotten your name wrong again. You know how terrible I am about names!" A gesture of helplessness and a roll of his eyes are added to underscore the idea that this is a typical failing of his.

"You know, we'll have to talk sometime soon. For now, however, we have a bit of a challenge on our hands, and as you know, I'm not nearly as sturdy as you are. If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd accompany me and see to my safety. I know how capable you are of that." Sechrin smiles and pats the man on the shoulder as he would an old friend.

Xian
2007-09-06, 10:58 AM
Alan
You're just out of earshot of the party, and at the same time, you can just barely hear people talking somewhere ahead of you. It's far too faint to make out any words, but one of the members of the conversation sounds a bit excited, or perhaps panicked.

"Oh, it's Trez, and don't worry about it. I'm terrible with names, too. Well, back that way," he says, pointing down the left branch, "are barracks, offices and things like that. Perhaps we could set you up in one of the rooms down there to rest and relax for a little bit to get your strength back? And with all the soldiers there, you'll be well protected, to be sure."

JEntropy
2007-09-06, 10:13 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan knows what he has to do: coming back with partial information is sometimes worse than no information at all. He moves, catlike, along the wall, until he gets close enough to make out a bit of the conversation. One hand is on the hilt of a dagger, in anticipation.

No point in going back empty-handed. Move Alan closer, slowly and quietly as possible, until he can make out part of what they are saying.

If you need new rolls, instead of recycling the hide/MS/spot/listen from before, I can give them to you.

Xian
2007-09-07, 10:38 AM
Alan:
As Alan creeps closer, he can hear the voices becoming clearer. As he approaches a bend in the hallway, they can be heard right around the other side, and stepping around the corner would bring him into full view.
"....and a big lizard one! He took out Zash and Chitson like they were nothing!"
"So how do you explain yourself, then? Running away like a coward instead of holding your post...the Sergeant won't take too kindly to that."
"Because, you fool, there was no way I would survive. I already told you, there were six or seven of them. If I hadn't come to you, you wouldn't even know that they were there and they'd probably be sneaking up on you and yours now to wipe you out before you even knew what happened. I abandoned my post so that I could warn you and you could get a force moving."
"Very well. Best report to the Sergeant anyways and let him know of the threat so he can reroute the patrols to where they'll be going. I'll gather some men and a few casters and head back to where you saw them."
"Right."
The footsteps of presumably the first speaker can be heard dashing off further down the hallway at top speed. The footsteps of the other are not as hurried, but follow in the same direction with a very deliberate pace.

JEntropy
2007-09-08, 01:59 AM
Alan Gibbs

Alan curses quietly to himself, wondering if he could overtake the two of them, but knowing that's a risk the group can't afford. He stalks back, quicker this time, towards the party to relay the news to them.

Glancing at the guard they've rescued, he considers himself for a moment, then decides that there may not be time for discretion: One of them got away. He met up with some others, and they're contacting the rest of the guard staff, who will be blocking our exit and sending another party our way. I doubt we have much time.

Krelon
2007-09-08, 02:16 AM
Aerhalyss

whispers nervously to Sechrin, "Trez must know something the corridors here. A hiding place, secret door, anything?"

louder to the group: "Let's get moving then. East?" pointing down the right branch of the corridor.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-08, 09:45 AM
Sechrin

Nodding at Trez's suggestion, Sechrin says to him in a most earnest and resigned tone, "I hate to tell you this, Trez, but I think the other guards, and most of the rest, have been acting rather strange lately. Almost as if they've been taken over by some disease of the mind. Some have even tried to attack me and my friends here. I heard one refer to me as if I were a monster. It was frightening. I think the best thing for us right now is to try and avoid them until we can find a way to help them escape their affliction."

Sechrin looks around, worriedly. "What's down to the east, Trez? Oh, and do you know of any secret passages in this area? That would certainly help us avoid having to harm them in self-defense."

Xian
2007-09-10, 10:44 AM
"Well that's certainly unusual. Then again, I thought the food had been tasting a bit weird lately. I bet they got some kind of food poisoning. Anyways, no, I don't know of any secret passages nearby. Dunno if we even have any; I guess carving your base in a volcano limits your construction options.* But the hallway gets a bit windy and it branches off a lot. Gods, I got lost so many times when I first came out here; I still haven't explored all the different routes."

((*Yes, this is new info, and for reference, the halls are uniform and smoothed out so they don't look like cave tunnels, aside from having no windows to the outside.))

Krelon
2007-09-10, 12:06 PM
Aerhalyss
After glancing several times to the west she asks even more nervously than before, "Nice, yes. But, where is it easier to get lost? To the south or to the east?"

Psionic Dog
2007-09-10, 03:03 PM
Rashnik

The lizardman listens intently to the guard, and swallows nervously when he hears that the slavers had the resources to carve their base out of a volcano. "Now that's an idea. While we are looking for a way to... end their affliction, it only makes sense that we helpfully survey the little used areas. That way other new arrivels (like us) won't get lost."

Xian
2007-09-10, 05:02 PM
"Aw, you can get lost anywhere. Good thing's that no one stays lost for more than a few hours, but it can be frustratin', 'specially when the call of nature hits."

Krelon
2007-09-11, 01:19 AM
Aerhalyss

"I nearly forgot", she offers Alan the new found item "this is a necklace of fireballs we found. It was Rashnik's idea that it might save your life when you're scouting and get in trouble" she quickly explains how the item works, "Use it only as last resort, we don't know how strong it is exactly".

"We can talk more on the way. Let's go", she starts moving to the east.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-11, 03:34 AM
Sechrin

"Well, we'll try and not let that happen," says Sechrin with a chuckle. Humans...

"How about you show us around to the east? If we get to a spot you've never been to, we'll discover it together. But first, I think you dropped your sword somewhere," he says as he casts his eyes around the area. "Anyone find a sword over there?" Sechrin gestures toward the edge of the fog.

He looks back to Trez, and says, with a pat on the shoulder, "We'll get you something if we can't find your regular sword. I don't want you caught unarmed if...they try to attack. A few hours ago, I saw one group of guards attack another. The leader of one asked the other why he was with them, whoever them was, and then after only a few words exchanged, they all just started fighting. I left as quickly as possible, but I can imagine what happened. I couldn't tell which group was afflicted and which one wasn't--they both sounded rational at first." Sechrin continues to paint a bleak scenario for Trez to grab onto. Reorienting one's normal thought patterns is a delicate task, but yields rewards when accomplished.

"Just be on your guard, and know that they'll lie to make you think they're not afflicted. Perhaps some of the food stores were affected by fumes from the volcano? I don't quite know, but whatever it is, it's not a good thing."

Well, if that isn't enough to lay a foundation of mistrust, I guess I'm more rusty than I thought.

Xian
2007-09-11, 10:42 AM
"Alright. I'm not too familiar with all the halls that way, but I think I know them well enough. I feel like I'm forgettin' something about 'em, but I guess I'll remember when I see it," he says as he starts down the hallway. "What are you hoping to find, anyways?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-12, 01:11 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin pauses and thinks to himself, That's a good question....

Deflecting the delicate inquiry, the elf snaps his fingers as a distraction, and says, "Just a moment...don't you want your sword? It may come in handy." He spins on his heels in order to see the others.

"Could someone find this man a sword?" he asks in a calm, passive voice, then turns back to his charge.

"Now, show us everything. This is a fascinating structure, and I've always been fond of non-traditional architecture." Sechrin begins to walk, effectively prompting the guard to be tour guide, and presuming one of his compatriots could spare a weapon.

Krelon
2007-09-12, 02:59 AM
Aerhalyss

Stops at the corpse of one of the fallen guards to snatch a weapon and a shield (if there is any), then she hurries to catch up with Sechrin to hand it over.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-12, 07:03 AM
Sechrin

Hearing someone approach, Sechrin turns to see Aerhalyss offering a shield and sword. "Ahh, thank you Aerhalyss," he says with a curt bow. He offers the items to Trez, saying, "These should serve you nicely."

Xian
2007-09-12, 11:31 AM
"Ah, thank you. Didn't quite realize I dropped them," he says, sheathing the sword and donning the shield. Trez begins leading the way down the various corridors at a leisurely pace, making turns where appropriate, and chattering the whole way, doing his best to describe things in detail. The details are largely mundane and uninteresting, and it sounds like he might be making things up when trying to describe the architecture. But then again, the doors may indeed be inspired by the Kozokian style.

After about 10 minutes of the "tour", he stops at a 4-way intersection. He looks left...then right...then straight forward...then back the way they came before making a confession. "I don't quite know where to go from here."

((Listen checks, please))

Krelon
2007-09-12, 02:51 PM
Aerhalysslisten:[roll0]

Godhand
2007-09-12, 03:52 PM
Tristan


Listen Check [roll0]

Psionic Dog
2007-09-12, 06:10 PM
Rashnik

[roll0]
Note: Gestimation only on modifier: (rpgwebprofiler is down) Will edit correction if I'm wrong.

JEntropy
2007-09-12, 07:55 PM
[roll0]

Sidenote: is rpgwebprofiler down? I had some trouble with it, and had to cannibalize my modifier from another post in this thread. Don't know what I'll do when I get to a different skill check than what I've already done :smallconfused:

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-13, 05:03 AM
Ahh, this is precisely why I keep a copy of everyone's character sheet on my own machine. Well, almost. Godhand never posted a link to his, so I don't have any data for Tristan.


Skills Aer Ala Jea Mat Ras Sec Tri Best
------ --------------------------------- ---------------
Listen 5 6 4 3 3 11 ? 11 - Sechrin

This is as listed in your skills block. Some might have unlisted modifiers.

Xian - Don't forget to roll for Trez' listen. :)

Here's my check roll:

Listen - [roll0]

Stick_Ninja
2007-09-13, 03:38 PM
^Thanks. [roll0]

Xian
2007-09-18, 04:53 PM
Sechrin & Mathias
From the hallways both ahead and to the right, you can hear faint noises. Though mostly indistinct, the general rhythm and patterns leave little to the imagination of what, or more specifically who, is making the noises.

Everyone else:
The intersection is cold and quiet, with the sound of your own breathing seeming to sound as loud as a tempest in the stillness.

Krelon
2007-09-19, 01:36 AM
Aerhalyss

"So, where next? If you don't have a clue I could toss dice, see which way is lucky", she retrieves small dice carved from bone from her spell component pouch.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-19, 03:42 AM
Sechrin

Faint noises in two directions alert Sechrin to what are likely oncoming bands of guards; if not worse. The sounds are distant, but the elf, turns and says in a loud whisper, "Shhhh...I hear something there and there." He gestures ahead and down the right corridor. "It's faint in both directions, whatever it is, but is probably headed this way."

He glances in both directions, then adds, "We should see what's coming. Alan, how about you check to the right, and I'll check up ahead?"

Psionic Dog
2007-09-19, 09:35 AM
Rashnik

The lizardman glances in surprise at Sechrin. He hears nothing, but the elf does have much better hearing so there could be something...

Krelon
2007-09-19, 10:42 AM
Aerhalyss

When the others take off to scout she siliently tosses a die to see which corridor is lucky for her, mumbling silently "1,2 left. 3,4 forward, 5,6 right"

And the dice shows: [roll0]

13_CBS
2007-09-19, 10:52 AM
Jeando perks up from his idleness and whispers, Intruders...shall the rest of us stay here, sir Sechrin?

Xian
2007-09-19, 11:42 AM
"Oh wonderful, some people might find us and tell us how to get out of here. I doubt that they're all acting funny as well, don't you? I should call out to them so they can find us faster and help us out."

Krelon
2007-09-19, 01:28 PM
"Nah, why bother, Sechrin is checking this out already. Btw, do you play cards or throw dice for money, crap game maybe?"

Xian
2007-09-19, 03:37 PM
"Funny you should mention that; I know two of 'em, in fact. Learned 'em from Medusa's Traveling Casino. First one's a dice game called Boneyard you play with a lotta people that the medusa was good at. Everyone rolls one die and if you meet or beat the house's roll, you win. The other one's a one-on-one card game that the mind flayer specialized in and called Golddigger. You place a bet, draw one card, and then whatever turns up you get that many more draws to try to match it, double or nothing. Wanna play while we wait?"

Krelon
2007-09-19, 03:56 PM
"Sure, sorry I have no cards here, only this pair of dice. Actually the are made of bone, Boneyard it is then. First round is for coppers"

Looking around, "Anyone else, want to join?"
ooc: the pair of dice is focus for a spell on Aerhalyss' spellist (cheat) hehe, too bad she didn't memorize.

anyway: profession (gambler): [roll0]
if the roll is high enough, that should help to be in control of the game, maybe even a re-roll? DM decision of course

Xian
2007-09-19, 05:29 PM
((If more people join, we'll do the dice game and use those dice combined with some Trez has. Otherwise, it's cards he has.))

JEntropy
2007-09-19, 07:45 PM
Alan Gibbs

My thoughts exactly, he says, tipping a casual salute at Sechrin, as he stalks off to the right.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Psionic Dog
2007-09-19, 08:23 PM
Rashnik

"Well, if it's only coppers I'll join. Anything to pass the time while the others take a quick look."

The lizardman tries to relax, but he never quite puts down his bow...

Godhand
2007-09-19, 10:42 PM
Tristan

Tristan exaggerates a head shake, then sighs behind his faceplate before flipping it up. His weathered face and aged green eyes bely his age.

"No, thank you. He gives a somber smile and then begins fiddling with straps on his armor, trying to tighten what straps remained after the fireball.

Magic... I can deflect arrows, heal wounds and defend my allies, but I can't stop magic. There has to be a way...

With a grunt, Tristan finishes with his armor, then moves to checking his ax and shield. The motions are automatic, but are relaxing in their familiarity.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-20, 02:06 AM
Sechrin

Jeando: "Intruders...shall the rest of us stay here, sir Sechrin?"

Sechrin nods. "For the moment. Alan and I will get some idea what's involved. We'll be back shortly."

Trez: "Oh wonderful, some people might find us and tell us how to get out of here. I doubt that they're all acting funny as well, don't you? I should call out to them so they can find us faster and help us out."

"No, Trez. I'm hoping to avoid any surprises. I don't know how widespread the problem is, but nearly everyone I've encountered today, has been acting strangely. Friendly or official one moment, and aggressive the next. It's best to be cautious to avoid harming them or them harming us. I'm sure you understand."

He turns to Alan, nodding as the man begins down the right-hand corridor. Sechrin, likewise, moves directly ahead, falling into a stealthy stance as soon as sufficient shadow is found.

OOCMoving ahead at the usual half-speed (15') pace while attempting to hide/move silently, keeping ears out, and stopping the moment I see either people or a moving/shaking/bobbing light source, reflection or otherwise.

Hide - [roll0]
MSil - [roll1]
Listen - [roll2]
Spot - [roll3]

-edit note- With such a high listen check, if there is any talking to be heard, and I can understand the language, I might be able to make out the words, depending on the distance modifier involved.

Also, a reminder that passing near a secret door gains me a free search check: Search - [roll4].

Krelon
2007-09-20, 03:38 AM
Meanwhile the 'lets-occupy-Trez-and-make-him-think-we-are-friends-game' begins...

Speaking quietly so that voice doesn't carry, "So, here is my copper for the bank. All that want to join, have to match it, then we roll"

Xian
2007-09-20, 12:21 PM
Passing out one six-sided die to each player, Trez begins to elaborate. "Ok, here's the full rules. Everyone playing places a copper down and makes one roll of their die after the house (that's me) rolls his. Anyone who doesn't meet or beat my roll loses their ante. Everyone else can either take their ante and leave the game even, or add another piece to stay in another round. Then we roll again. This time, if you meet or beat the house roll, you can either collect your full stake (2 pieces of copper in this case, giving you 4 total), or add another piece and hope to walk away with 6 the next round. This goes on until everyone's happy, broke or a fight breaks out. Usually the last one. Ready?" asks Trez as he rolls his house die.

[roll0]

"Oooh, even chance. Great starting odds."

Krelon
2007-09-20, 02:00 PM
place 1 copper, roll [roll0]

Psionic Dog
2007-09-20, 03:47 PM
Drops his copper (and winces at the clink) [roll0]

"Aw, surely fights aren't that common. I mean, we're all civizlized here, right? Who would fight over a handful of coppers?"

Xian
2007-09-21, 11:26 AM
Alan:
Alan moves down the corridor, silent as the shadows he hides in, and noticing a lever in the wall almost immediately beyond the archway from the intersection. As he goes along, the sounds get louder, and they are indeed voices of some of the inhabitants. They sound as if they are in discussion, but are a little too far and muddled to be understood. They don't seem to be moving any closer, at least for the moment, and the tones of voices sound somewhat relaxed.

Sechrin:
Sechrin's stealth would allow him to sneak up on a roomful of high-strung cats as he moves deftly and silently from one shadow to the next. The sounds grow louder as he progresses, and they are indeed voices of some of the inhabitants of the establishment. Though still distant, they seem to be slowly moving closer, and Sechrin can make out some bits of the conversations.
"....can't believe that. A lizard? Come on, that's just absurd."
"Sergeant said to be on the look out for it, and it's not like we haven't seen stranger before."
"Yeah, but still it sounds like someone munched on some bad mushrooms."
---
"Aww, sit on it; you're carrying the torch 'cuz you're a klutz."
"I already told you, I'm sorry about dinner. The chicken grease made my hands slippery, and that wound will heal in no time. Besides, the eye patch makes you look rather dashing."
*BAP* "Smartass."
---
"So I learned this new Invocation the other day, and look!"
"Wow, and you can do that all day, right?"
"Yeah, I think so, though I'm still getting the hang of movement; it's not quite like walking."
"I'll admit, I'm jealous; I usually need a scroll or my book to do something like that."


"You'd be surprised," says Trez to Rashnik. "Some people really hate losing money and they'd even fight someone like you if they thought you were cheating...or just didn't want to have to pay up."

Xian
2007-09-21, 11:33 AM
Mathias

Mathias quietly adds a copper and rolls a die to join in.

[roll0]

((Stick_Ninja's having some conflict issues with school eating up most of his free time, so at his request, I'm NPC-ing Mathias for a while, and as I really don't want to have to kill off a character for something like this, hopefully he'll be able to pick him back up once he gets into a routine and can find time to post again.))

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 02:42 PM
Sechrin

For Xian and Non-Player ReadersThe still distant sounds of conversation cause Sechrin to freeze in place in that shadowy in-between created by the widely-spaced torches.

One snippet revealed that at least one of the speakers was bearing a torch, and so he waits until he sees the telltale sign of its wavering leading edge as it reflects from the stone walls. His ears continue to strain to decipher the mix of words.

Listen - [roll0]

JEntropy
2007-09-21, 03:02 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan is intrigued by the switch, attempting to find out what it triggers (if there are any visual clues)
[roll0]
[roll1]

As the sound of voices reaches his ears, Alan becomes more apprehensive. He cautiously moves forward along the wall, leaving the switch behind, until he can make out what they are saying.

[roll2]

Xian
2007-09-21, 04:31 PM
Alan:
It's difficult to tell what the lever would do when pulled as there are no visible mechanical clues to its purpose; all of its mechanisms are hidden within the stone walls.

As Alan works his way closer and closer, he reaches a bend in the hallway. Peeking around the corner, a contingent of about 8 humans can be seen, both men and women. They have congregated at the one spot and don't appear to be moving for the moment. Hiding back around the corner, Alan can make out some bits of conversation.
"So Sgt. Vanel is thinking of mobilizing the whole aerie? That's a lot of trouble for a few intruders, don't you think?"
"I do, but word is they caused a lot of damage and trouble for the boss. A LOT of trouble. And now they've gone and killed some more guards, so everyone wants 'em gone. Maybe that priest'll have a use for 'em."
"Ugh, he creeps me out."
---
"Whadda ya mean I lost?! You're a bleedin' cheat, you are!"
"Calm down and look at your hand again. You could have won, but you threw away the tiles you needed trying to go for a fancier set instead of just trying to win. Your ego made you lose, so sit down. Call me a cheat again and I'll take your other ear."
*Grumble*
"Hey, knock it off over there! You're on duty, so at least act like it!"
---
"Ugh, soldiers, always thinking with their man-meats instead of their brains."
"Even the women?"
"Haw! Especially the women."


Sechrin:

As the group slowly gets closer, the chatter continues. Nothing terribly more informative is revealed, but they are clearly aware of the group of intruders and are deliberately hunting them down. The amount of footfalls and distinct voices suggest a size of roughly ten humanoids, though it's difficult to be absolutely certain without performing a headcount, a measure that, given their closing distance, would be a risky move. Before long, the light patterns of a moving torch begin to make themselves known. Accompanying it is an odd musky smell, something vaguely suggestive of livestock.

"Wonderful rolls! Everyone stays in, so that means you can either withdraw now and keep your copper, or put in another copper and hope to double your entry. Ready?"

[roll0]

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 02:15 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin sniffs the air, his nose wrinkling and an eyebrow raising at the result. The shifting light becomes apparent, cuing him to turn away and skulk back toward the intersection where he'd left his companions. He only vaguely wonders what discoveries Alan's made, knowing his own were problem enough.

So as not to startle the group that had begun playing a game, of all things, Sechrin announces his presence just before he reappears from the shadows.

"We have trouble ahead, as expected. I gauge six to ten men, at least one of which I suspect to be a caster. Also, I noted an odd odor that brings to mind a ox or bull or something of that nature. I figure they're about <pending> paces down the hall, right about now," he says in a quiet voice.

He adds, for Trez' sake, "Their conversations tell me without doubt that they are afflicted. One told another how much he enjoyed disemboweling some woman he'd come across in the hall earlier that day," He regards Trez directly. "Trez...does the odor of a beast of burden or something similar mean anything to you? Quickly, and keep your voice low."

OOC
MSil - [roll0]
Hide - [roll1]

If either of these rolls create a problem or special circumstance, I'll edit in something to deal with it.

About how far away would I gauge the enemy to be by the time I make it back to the others, considering half-speed for hiding? For anyone who cares, I'm going to set myself a precedent and consider a "pace" to be roughly 35-40 inches, or about 1 meter/yard. "Paces" are so much more atmospheric than "feet," eh? :)

Krelon
2007-09-22, 04:48 AM
Aerhalyss

Awaiting the scouts return the group of players is crouching around a cleaned floor tile. With visible joy sparkling in her eyes Aerhalyss adds another copper and rolls the dice happily once again, "I stay in the game" [roll0]

When Sechrin arrives, she looks up at her fellow elf and picks up the dice quickly, handing them back to their owner "Sorry Trez, let's continue this later, the game is frozen until the next rest"

She looks down the right corridor where Alan went, saying "We shouldn't be separated in this maze, if Alan doesn't appear soon, we must follow him"

JEntropy
2007-09-22, 04:31 PM
Alan Gibbs

Leaned back against the wall, Alan's mind starts racing. I seem to have found a contingent of guards. And some others? Hmm... too many for me alone... the group will probably want to avoid this area... I wonder what Sechrin came up with, hopefully a safer route.. and at once, Alright, I doubt I'll get any more helpful information than that. Back to the group...

He stalks back down the hallway, looking behind him every few feet, and relates his findings when he returns to the group.

Psionic Dog
2007-09-22, 04:51 PM
Rashnik

"Ugh. Those casters can do a lot of damage. I'd suggest we try knocking the spell caster out before the guy goes on a killing rampage, but I'd hate for the other guards to come in behind us. Perhaps we should go left."

The lizardman also tosses in another copper in. [roll0]

Godhand
2007-09-23, 12:33 AM
Tristan

News of nearby guardsman brings Tristan out of his calm maintenance. With a firm nod, he clicks his pale faceplate back into position.

If he can hear the slavers getting closer, Tristan will intone a few old sounding words and lift his shield above him.


If these slavers get close, Tristan casts Bless and then moves to block. Of course, if we run, he takes rear guard and will make sure to position himself between any oncoming attacks and party members if possible. Except for Trez.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-23, 03:00 AM
Sechrin

Upon hearing Alan's report, Sechrin nods gravely. "Yes, it appears they will be crossing paths right at this point. They'll likely continue in their respective directions, but we certainly don't want to be in their sight when they come together. I suggest we either commit to heading left in hopes of finding a place to hide while Alan's group passes by, or double back to an area we have some passing familiarity with and confront them there, hoping nothing else has shown up while we've been walking."

He turns to Alan and fills him in on his own report so all would be aware of the same, then he asks him, "You didn't happen to catch any indication of animals that might have been with that group? I'm concerned that even if we try to hide, we may be sniffed out if they are accompanied by dogs or some other creature able to scent. As I said, I seemed to get the impression of some kind of bovine, which might normally seem safe to ignore, but I worry if that odor indicates something less innocuous."

OOCI'm still kinda waiting on Trez to interject on the topic of the bovine smell I asked him about. That might clear up some of the haze.

Xian - I'd like a guesstimate as to how long it will be before the two groups come into view of the intersection (I've assumed they will probably show up at about the same time--correct me if that's wrong). Also, how far down did Alan and I go before we stopped? I presume there were no cross corridors within that distance?

Krelon
2007-09-23, 05:21 AM
Aerhalyss

"What about if we take the right path to talk to those guys there. Trez could meet the group coming from front and tell them that he guards this crossing and he didn't see us coming this way. This would spare a lot of bloodshed that the poisoned funny in the mind people would cause otherwise."

She switches her speech to elvish and addresses Sechrin "Do you think you can trusthim that far? We can take on the unprepared guards to the right. Divide and conquer before they can merge"

Xian
2007-09-24, 06:31 PM
"Hmm, an ox smell? That's probably Brunk, or maybe Krawner. Could be both. They're minotaurs, so they've got that weird musky smell. Or maybe they're half; I don't quite remember. Heh, can you imagine that wedding night? 'Specially if the man was the human? Wow. Either way, don't call neither of 'em a cow; they're not too bright, but they take offense to that."

OOC:
((VE, your group is approximately 5 rounds, or 30 seconds away. JE, once yours mobilizes they're about 7 rounds, or 45 seconds away. I'm putting the rounds in so that, if you decide to engage one of the parties, you'll have a rough idea of how long before reinforcements arrive. As for the dice game, Trez has pretty much packed up the pieces, putting it on hold per Aerhalyss' suggestion...particularly since he'd be out some coppers!))

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-25, 02:47 AM
Sechrin

At the mention of minotaurs, Sechrin looks significantly more concerned than before.

"That's not good news, Trez. If these patrols are afflicted, it might include the minotaurs. They're aggressive enough as it is, from what I've heard."

Scanning the various faces, and in one case, a visor, Sechrin shrugs faintly and says, "We have neither time, nor many options. We either engage one group and hope it is not afflicted so that we may join it, or we take the left path or doubleback and hope we don't run into any others that are afflicted. If that happens, even if we are set upon by one group, the other will be far enough away as to not be able to aid them quickly, if they hear anything at all." Hoping the others still remember that certain words and claims are for the charmed guard's benefit, he continues.

"In any case, we need to make a decision quickly. On short reckoning, I'd think doubling back would be best. We know the layout, and...wait..."

He turns to Trez and asks, "How many patrols are typical in this area, and the area we were at earlier? Do the ones on the way continue that far?"

Sechrin can almost be seen to be counting the passing seconds in his head.

Xian
2007-09-25, 03:33 PM
"Usually it's less than one for a given area, so there's some blind spots, but since they're on high alert looking for you guys I'd say there's some overlap with two or even three patrols crossing paths in some areas. The ones back there where I met you might not make it this far, unless they already knew where you were or went."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 12:32 AM
Sechrin

With a nod to Trez, Sechrin reiterates the options, adding, "It seems, as long as these other two patrols are not expected to travel as far back as we were earlier, we should be able to doubleback and avoid them entirely. Otherwise, we should engage one, hope for the best and deal with the consequences. However, as much as I dislike having to hide away, two such patrols will be more than we'll want to handle, and if they're both afflicted, within moments of engaging one, we'll be set upon by the other. We have no advantages here. But if the one ahead comes far enough back to where we were before, we can deal with them as necessary, but without so much concern about the second group. I find the decision easy to make, but I don't speak for you all. Quickly, though."

OOCSorry for dragging this out, but I don't want to see a TPK. We're looking at two rather sizable parties in fairly close proximity. Running away and/or hiding is just another useful tactic to keep your heart beating a little longer.

Krelon
2007-09-26, 01:17 AM
"One of the groups is stationary, the other is moving. I agree that we should avoid the group that is searching for us actively, we can always come back later and there won't be so many guards around. However, I'd like to point out that we are not getting anywhere just by running around, we must start solving problems soon"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 05:48 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin scratches his head, and paces a few times before saying, "Then perhaps our best option would be to confront them directly. Trez and I, and perhaps Aerhalyss and Mathias can remain out of sight just around this intersection's corners. If the patrol is afflicated, as I'm going to guess they are, they won't recognize the others as friends, but as enemies and either attack immediately or threaten them, and then attack no matter what they do. If that occurs, those of us around the corner can come into the intersection to help our comrades."

OOCI see I was missing some info, as I didn't read Alan's spoiler up above. I was under the impression his group was also on active patrol. That changes things.

I'm still phrasing and arranging things so as to minimize Trez' ability to question the situation, thus the hiding around the corner bit. It's not a bad setup, anyway. Unfortunately, this rules don't offer a layered "surprise" attack option.

Krelon
2007-09-26, 10:09 AM
"Let's drop back a little further and find a place behind a curve or bend in the tunnel, if the patrol follows us, at least they won't see us directly and we will be hopefully outside the hearing range of the stationary group. If they go left, then even better for us, we can simply come back"

JEntropy
2007-09-27, 08:35 AM
Alan Gibbs

I'm all for a good scrap, especially when someone has it coming to them...but I'd rather it be on our terms. This is a tenuous position, especially with two patrols bearing down...on us. I say back up the corridor, away from here. There were less guards the other way...from what I could tell.

But whatever we do, we need to move now. The patrol I located may not have been on the move...but they're not far from here.

As he says this, one might interpret Alan as aloof, as he is gaze alternates between each of the hallways, but rarely turns to his audience. He pauses in places, as if stopping to see if he heard something (ooc: that's what the ellipses are supposed to represent). He seems edgy, and more than once while he's talking, his right hand moves instinctively to the hilt of one of his prized blades, then relaxes again.

Someone make the call.

Godhand
2007-09-27, 09:22 AM
Tristan

"We fall back. No need to kill everything."

From his tone, Tristan wants to plant himself and fight, but two groups with minotaurs? That's pushing even his limits. With another hollow sigh, the knight waits for others to agree or disagree, and heads down the hallway away from guards if they do.

Psionic Dog
2007-09-27, 09:42 AM
Rashnik

I'd rather not stay at the intersection so close to both groups. If they both are hostile, we could be in-trouble. Let's back up so we only have to worry about one. Come on!

The lizardman then starts to move off.

OOC

If there are bends or side passages the way they came, the lizardman will lead the way back until they are at least 400 ft (10rounds for encumbered hustling creatures) from the intersection and at a corner/side passage that would give everyone concealment or cover to surprise the guards from.

If the way they came is too straight and smooth to break line of sight from the intersection within 3 rounds of movement, Rashnik will instead suggest going left, again for at least 400 ft.

Krelon
2007-09-27, 11:04 AM
Aerhalyss

The elf nods in total agreement with Rashnik and starts off in the same direction.
like Psionic Dog: back to a bend if we passed such on a way to this crossing or if it is one straight road, then left instead.

Xian
2007-09-27, 12:36 PM
OOC:
((There are substantial bends in the back passageway, including a z-shaped section approximately 120-150 feet back. The party would make it around the first sharp angle right before the moving patrol enters the intersection. Also, just a minor clarification that shouldn't have affected anything just yet, the intersection is essentially a large room, about 30x30, with the hallways branching off the four walls. There would be enough room for two groups to engage in combat feeling somewhat cramped, while all three would be quite the cluster.))

Krelon
2007-09-27, 12:43 PM
Aerhalyss

Hurries to get behind the Z in time. Once there, she will start listening to find out what the patrol does. listen: [roll0]

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-29, 04:08 AM
Sechrin

With the others having come to something of the same conclusion as himself, Sechrin makes his way back some distance, with Trez in tow.

Once in place, Sechrin says, "I'll keep an eye out to see where they head when the reach the intersection." With those words, he skulks to the angled corner and, low to the floor, pokes his head out enough to see back to the intersection.

OOCHide - [roll0]. Cover should aid this.

Based on the description, I gather we still have line of sight to the intersection, despite undulations in the corridor. I also have low-light vision, so that'll help with details, if any.

Psionic Dog
2007-09-29, 03:14 PM
Rashnik

"We're still awfully close to the intersection, does anyone remember any good spots even farther back?"

Xian
2007-10-01, 12:35 PM
No sooner does the party make it around the bend than the patrol enters the intersection from the hallway to the right. A mixed group of 8 humans, mostly male, fill the room. At the tail end is a large beast that looks very much like a bull that learned to walk on its hind legs. It would be a far cuter sight if it weren't a hulking mass of fur and muscle wielding an axe while wearing an expression that hungers for the flesh of face meat. The patrol pauses for a moment.
"Which way?"
"Well, Kreen's patrol is that way, provided they haven't stopped for another break" she says pointing to her right, "And Ouivan's should come through there before overlong," she continues, pointing to her left, "So we should continue forward and see if Geyn's patrol missed anything on their sweep. Move on!"
With the direction, the patrol starts to move forward. The minotaur lumbers forward a few steps and then stops.

And sniffs.

And sniffs.

And then stares intently down the corridor to his left.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-01, 11:47 PM
Sechrin

Relief turns to frustration as the patrol resolves to continue away from them only to see the beast appear to notice their stink.

Sechrin yanks his head back around the corner and performs a rather strange-looking hunched crabstep some feet back to the group. In a quiet whisper, he says, "The main body of the patrol plans to continue forward, but the animal they travel with is, indeed, a minotaur and it seems to have picked up our odor. It hasn't reacted yet," he licks his lips slightly, then adds partly for the sake of Trez, "Unfortunately, even from here, I saw the gleam in their eyes, though they seemed to speak rationally. It is the same telltale sign I noticed before from the group that assaulted us after seeming benign. Be on your guards--should the beast convince them to come this way, we will be tested. In fact, perhaps, we should move back beyond this twisted section so that we may bear everything directly at them if it comes to that."

Krelon
2007-10-03, 11:02 AM
Aerhalyss

Slowly, the elf starts moving further away from the intersection

Xian
2007-10-03, 12:35 PM
Tense seconds pass, feeling like eternities stacked on end. Then, the footfalls and low chatter of the patrol can be heard fading off as they continue on their route. Within a few moments, they can no longer be heard, and would seem to have moved down the western* hallway. A minute of silence does not give any indication of stragglers that would have stayed behind. It would seem that all is clear.

((*According to the ASCII map in the OOC thread))

Krelon
2007-10-03, 01:42 PM
Aerhalyss

The elf whispers to her comrades, "We need a scout, very cautious, first listen before peeking around the corner. I have a single scroll of invisibility for emergencies. If you really think this is one, I'll use it"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-04, 12:22 AM
Sechrin

Relaxing slowly as the footfalls and noise of armor on armor fades off, Sechrin says in a less concerned, but still low voice, "That shouldn't be necessary. I'll go have a look. We still have to wonder about the group I saw--but it appears they've gone elsewhere. While I check, I suggest you all consider which way we're going. I say, to the right, only because we know the patrol has already left that section."

With that, he slinks back around the corner, heading to the intersection.

OOCWill go to the intersection room and peek around the corners. The left/west, first, then the right. Will be looking ahead down the northern corridor on the way up to the intersection, of course, and staying in the darker patches as I go.

Rolls: Hide - [roll0] | MSil - [roll1] | Listen - [roll2] | Spot - [roll3]

Krelon
2007-10-04, 06:07 AM
Aerhalyss

"Definitely right. I have a very good feeling about it"


Aerhalyss

When the others take off to scout she siliently tosses a die to see which corridor is lucky for her, mumbling silently "1,2 left. 3,4 forward, 5,6 right"

And the dice shows: [roll0]

:smallsmile: :smallbiggrin: :smallamused: :smallwink: :smallcool:

Xian
2007-10-04, 01:07 PM
Stubbing his toe and tripping into the middle of the hallway, Sechrin investigates the corridors. The intersection is completely empty and sounds of the patrol can only be heard very faintly to the west until they fade to silence.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-04, 10:29 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin returns to the bend at a normal walk, to inform the rest that the area appears entirely clear.

"Quiet in all directions, as far as I can tell. Right seems the most practical, so unless there is dissent, let's get moving again." He looks to Trez, then to Alan expectantly. "Trez, you're with me, of course. Alan, if you would care to scout ahead while we go?"

OOCXian - You do realize I netted an 18 on that move silently roll, don'tcha? That's cat stalkin' territory from 10'. I'll have you know I was a champion stalker in my day, why....<fades off into the distance...quietly>

JEntropy
2007-10-05, 01:09 AM
Alan Gibbs

Surely, Sechrin, I can reconnoiter for the group. Don't follow too close, and watch for my signals.

With a glance behind them, he nods at the party and creeps off into the shadows ahead.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-05, 04:44 AM
Sechrin

With a nod to Alan, Sechrin pats Trez on the shoulder, and says, "Let's go. We should all remain far enough back that Alan's just at the edge of our sight."

OOCXian - I recognize that I can see further than certain other members of the party, so assume the "our" is literal: the distance we should stay back is just at the edge of normal human sight under these lighting conditions. Which begs the question: What distance would that be?

Krelon
2007-10-05, 09:02 AM
Aerhalyss

is also following walking along the opposite wall as Sechrin, if there are minotaurs maybe there are also secret passages? ((detection roll +10))

Psionic Dog
2007-10-05, 09:28 AM
Rashnik

The lizardman nods slowly and follows as well.

Xian
2007-10-05, 01:09 PM
((Hmmm, for some reason is was making the d20 roll bold instead of your final result VE, so I misread. Fortunately, it had no effect either way, but I'll be looking at the numbers more closely from here on.

As for vision, it's torch lighting, and torches are spaced out so that their dim light radii touch, making it about 80ft from torch to torch. Since you have low light vision, you can see very clearly. Everyone else can see from torch to torch, but some of the spaces in between, about halfway between each one, are dark and difficult to detect anything within.

Krelon, Aerhalyss detects no secret passages. At least not yet.))

13_CBS
2007-10-05, 04:46 PM
(( You know, as fun as this game was, I think I'm going to have to call it quits. :smallfrown: SChoolwork plus the fact that Jeando has been forever lost in the depths of rpgwebprofiler forces my hand.

Sorry. :smallfrown: ))

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-06, 12:45 AM
Pardon the OOC, but it seems to be needed here: I have Jeando's character sheet backed up. But if other things are in the way, I guess it doesn't matter.

If CBS is leaving, and Stick_Ninja's Healer is out of it (haven't seen him in a long time), we should recruit at least one more PC for healing duty, else we're going to be smarting after every fight.

As long as we might have a brief lull, and I'm in OOC mode:

We've sorta turned into a stealth group, which is fine. However, I was wondering if we, as a group, actually know where we're going? Are we just wandering hoping to find something, or do we have some intelligence that's provided clues on which ways to go, or signs to watch out for that will lead us to certain key locations, etc. Pardon me if I've forgotten something obvious.

Krelon
2007-10-06, 02:34 AM
((OOC:
about the in-game stuff:
we didn't ask Trez who the bosses are, their names, where the high command bunker is, e.t.c
I was thinking now we try to lurk, maybe later catch the boss of Trez and he (knowing more) in return leads us to his boss. But 1st things 1st, we need to find some place to hide safely. Of course a sneaky group, avoiding fights might be a little boring if you're optimized for combat and nothing else.

since we turned into stealth mode the next day my wizard will readjust spells to include charm person and invisibility instead of damage spells, I believe interesting things can be done as soon as we have some more air to breathe.

btw, as you might have noticed, I tried to add some roleplaying instead of simply walking down the corridors and it worked well. Xian did one nice NPC there and always reacts thoughtfully to our actions so I think everyone can make this game as interesting for her/him-self as needed.

out-of-game:
it's a pity that 2 are out, cause things are getting interesting. We started as a 1 post per day group now we are a 1 per week, maybe they got the feeling that this thread is about too run dry? What about our 6th man? Tristan still around? ))

JEntropy
2007-10-06, 01:22 PM
OOC

Alan has been in survival mode since the beginning, what with the fleeing and being chased and near-constant threat of more violence. If we've reached a stalling point, he can calm down a bit and we can redirect towards the broad story arc.

@Xian: terrific game so far, my favorite PBP I've played in. Agree that we should try and recruit a healer, and possibly another if necessary? Also, any IC knowledge that we don't yet have OOC relating to our story's villains, our mission, etc, would be great :)

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-06, 01:59 PM
OOC: You're entirely right about not having asked our man on the inside any relevant questions. I was busy trying to groom him to not ask too many questions. I think I can use the same language to coax some info out of him.

The last remark gets my usual response: A player's only going to get out what they put in. Almost every game starts with enthusiasm, followed by the short-attention span types fading away. 33%-50% of the starting players zone out when they don't have toys thrown at them constantly. They're just not suited to the pbp format because they lack long-term focus and patience. Simple and brutal as that.

The only way a game can reach maturity is to rerecruit as soon as and as often as necessary. I gain that knowledge from experience in several games that have lasted far longer than the 1-3 month average. They've all suffered attrition, but they also had GMs that thought enough of their games to keep them alive by reacting quickly to fill the ranks.

Rerecruiting is a fact of pbp life for a GM. The sooner that's understood and accepted, the better off a game will be. And I'm talking about before the game even starts. If it's expected, it isn't a debilitating surprise, and it's dealt with before it can bleed the game of its momentum.

Morale is boosted for every remaining player when they see that the GM isn't willing to let a fraction of weak players destroy the game they're trying to enjoy.

Rah! Rah! Re-recruit! Rah! Rah!

You get my point. :)

Godhand
2007-10-06, 04:24 PM
(ooc)

I'm still here, don't worry about me. I dislike posting just to say I follow the group but I'll start if that will help. Stealth isn't exactly Tristan's style, but the ends justify the means in his book, so no worries.

Psionic Dog
2007-10-06, 07:49 PM
OOC

We do have a perfectly good OOC thread y' know.
Anyway,
Rashnik can function as a secondary healer until we get a new cleric, or at least he can until his Wand of Cure Light is used up.

Part of our aimless wandering problem comes from starting play with misunderstandings about what had happened in the 24 hours prior to the start. We started out "Stay alive and escape," but I think our objectives have changed as we learned more. "Sneak back and try again" sounds like what we ought to be doing.

So, if the game is paused, we really should sit down ask the DM obvious questions about what our characters know, and make a plan for defeating the slave lords.

We can't spend all our time slinking through the shadows, so we need some plan on how to ambush/slaughter the slavers in small, bite-sized groups. Any ideas? The best I can think of is: Rashnik lets himself be seen, then runs away shooting arrows. Badies follow. Sneakers then jump out and stabity stab the squishy enemy spell casters. Rest of group comes around the corner and mops up the guards.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-07, 01:20 AM
Sechrin

While Alan scouts ahead, Sechrin engages in a quiet conversation with his current thrall.

"Trez, I'm going to need some help remembering certain details of this place. I took a good knock to the head in that last run-in. Because of the issue with the afflictions I've witnessed, I'd like to get an idea how many might be affected based on where they're stationed. Perhaps, it might help us divine the source and remove it. Those currently afflicted could even come to their senses, saving everyone a lot of grief." With a foundation set, Sechrin asks a couple general questions.

"First off, about how many guards and patrols would you say are in the employ of the Lords? That will help me guess at the numbers already afflicted. Secondly, I recall there being certain areas where they congregate to arm and rest and such, but it's rather fuzzy to me now. Can you recall? I know this isn't your normal patrol area, but let's assume the distribution of these rallying points is probably similar from section to section, so, where would you figure the the nearest of them to be?"

Xian
2007-10-09, 12:25 PM
Trez screws up his face and knits his eyebrows, clearly thinking very hard on Sechrin's questions and counting some figures on his fingers.

"Well, there's a few hundred people workin' here altogether that are constantly here. Mostly humans, but some elves, orcs and other human-likes as well. Sheee, you just saw one of the minotaurs, if that gives you any idea. Most are some form of guard 'n such, and our duties rotate off. Sometimes we're gaolers, sometimes we've got watch duty. Some of our really good ones go get more slaves, usually with a little help from some of the cult weirdos. Those guys creep me out, but they're good at what they do.

As for barracks, the doors usually have a banner next to 'em that say as such. Most public rooms have a banner to say what's inside. I don't think we're near the big ones, but yeah, there's some smaller ones scattered everywhere, so we'll probably find one before too long."

Alan:
Keeping ahead of the party, you see the hallway wind around in front of you, but no other people have yet to be seen. Shortly, you come across two doors. The one on the left side of the hallway is cracked open a bit and has a banner of green and red hanging next to it, flush with the wall. A little further down on the right, the door is closed shut and has a black and white banner.

JEntropy
2007-10-09, 05:42 PM
Alan Gibbs

(FBO Xian)

Alan peeks back to where the group is behind him, feeling a little less apprehensive being out in the open with backup close behind. He stalks over in front of the green and red banner, and every so gently cracks the door so he can peek inside - ideally without alerting anyone within.

[roll0] to open the door
[roll1] to see what's inside.

Xian
2007-10-09, 06:17 PM
Alan:
The door creaks a little as it's opened, with the quietness of the hallways making it sound as if it could be heard on the surface. In reality, it's doubtful that the party even heard.

Inside, the room is lit by some torches; everburning, by the look of them. More importantly is what they illuminate. This room seems to be an armory, and deposits of weapons, armor and items can be seen. It's difficult to tell if any are particularly useful or not, but if nothing else they'd make for some nasty ammunition in a crisis.

JEntropy
2007-10-09, 09:39 PM
Alan Gibbs

(FBO Xian)


Intrigued, Alan makes a mental note to tell the others, and stalks over to the black/white banner. He puts his ear to the door, trying to guess at what may lurk inside.

[roll0]

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-10, 04:33 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin nods to Trez as he answers the questions, however, his eyes were watching ahead, trying to keep them on Alan's movements whenever possible.

"Let's hope we only run into unafflicted patrols, then. Just be prepared for the worst, Trez. They'll attack you, too, as I've seen them do to other patrols. I can tell from certain little ticks they seem to have as the only visible side effect; but they're very minor. I have especially good eyes, fortunately. If they're fine, I'll know it, and we can join up with them. If not, I'll know that, too."

But don't count on that first part, my friend.

Xian
2007-10-10, 12:11 PM
Alan:
Through the door, it sounds as if there's nothing on the other side. But then a small noise catches your attention. Breathing. Low, deep and steady, like someone sleeping. Maybe two someones. No other sounds can be heard.

JEntropy
2007-10-10, 03:12 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan quietly steps away from the door, peeking once again down the passage ahead of them, before going back to whisper to Sechrin.

There are two rooms down the hallway, one adorned with a black and white banner, the other with a green and red banner. Under the black banner, it sounds as if people are sleeping likely quarters for off-duty guards. I got a chance to peek inside the other room, which seems like an armory. Not sure what you want to do with that, or what we can do with him around, he whispers, a flick of his eyes placing the reference on Trez, But I don't want to be standing around when they wake up. As I see it, either we sneak in and overtake them, or try and jam the door to handicap their pursuit. It's not my decision though, so figure out what the rest of the group wants.

Krelon
2007-10-10, 03:12 PM
Aerhalyss

Poor Trez, he doesn't deserve to be cannon fodder, really. Oh, come on girl, he joined the slavers voluntarily after all.


Trying to shake off her bad conscience she asks Trez in a hushed voice, "You know, I'm Sechrin's friend just like you, but we don't know each other well, so tell me: How comes you joined the slave lords in the first place?"

Xian
2007-10-10, 03:47 PM
"Why are we being so quiet all o....oh, barracks. Yeah, I see the banner. Eh, it's good money. I've worked on a town guard and such before, but they don't pay too well. This gig gives me food, a place to live, and some fair coin, so I figured why not?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-11, 10:17 AM
Sechrin

A quiet hmmm, or two escapes Sechrin as he considers Alan's report. In a similarly quiet voice, he says, "This will be tricky. If there are only sleeping ones around, it'll be more difficult for me to convince Trez that they're afflicted. We may have to wake them up by accident, if you gather. I can keep Trez back around a corner while someone else starts the routine. If you would, go tell the others, and I'll inform Aerhalyss after she's through speaking to Trez."

OOCI'll be back at 3-4AM PST on Friday. Carry on if things move quickly. Let Trez mix it up while I try to avoid being nailed to a wall. Should be back before more than that happens.

Krelon
2007-10-11, 03:28 PM
Aerhalyss

The elf speaks silently in elvish "Yes, why not? Because it is blood money, because you enslave people, because for your own convinience you add to the power of the slave lords. How stupid can you be, if you're not evil at heart?"

She continues in common, looking at her comrades, "You know, if we just sneak further noone will suspect we are around. If we happen to meet some afflicted persons and they attack us here the patrol will be back soon and they will discover it."

Xian
2007-10-11, 04:06 PM
OOC:
((Krelon, that first line in elvish was an internal monologue, correct? Not that Trez understands elvish, but I just want to be sure.

For future reference, spoken dialog is "In quotations", internal thoughts are in italics, no quotations, and other forms of communication, such as a sign language, foreign language, or mental communication can use whatever you prefer .:so long:. -as it's- consistent with %*the language used*%))

Krelon
2007-10-11, 04:56 PM
no it wasn't internal monologue, Aerhalys is upset so she changes to her native tongue (hence different color and announcement before text: 'speaks in elvish' ) and just rants a bit. At least Sechrin should be able to understand it and she doubts Trez will. After all gray elves think they are better than others, so judging the weak will of humans is the right thing to do.

Psionic Dog
2007-10-11, 07:27 PM
Rashnik

The lizardman silently watches the scouts confer.

Whatever is up ahead could be big...

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-12, 06:38 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin allows himself a small chortle at Aerhalyss' remark. With a shrug, he says, "He'll have his blood money, or some other will. It hardly matters, eh? He's a simple solider of his own convenience; one I'd just like to get some use out of him while I can. A little ruse to keep him distracted and the end result will probably be the same."

"Perhaps you and Alan could check the armory for a few things we could take along, just in case. It might be best to leave these men sleep, if possible. If any awaken, we'll know soon enough if they are afflicted. Remember what I said earlier, though: if they challenge us, they must be afflicted, else they would have recognized us as comrades. Do not wait any longer than necessary--they pose a threat, then attack soon after no matter what. Deny them that advantage."

OOCI'll wait here until there's a decision. I think Krelon's right that we might want to slip past undetected, but remove anything special from the armory, assuming we can gain entrance without waking any of them. However, if any of them wake up, hand 'em their death certificates.

Krelon
2007-10-12, 07:06 PM
"Right, let's see to the armory, we wouldn't want them to hurt themselves with dangerous things, would we"

She nods at Alan to lead her on.

if you want to speed up the armory thing, she'll cast detect magic and try to locate anything unusual, leaving the mundane selection to Alan.

Krelon
2007-10-13, 11:44 AM
for looking a bit around, some rolls I forgot in the above post:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

JEntropy
2007-10-14, 12:35 AM
Alan Gibbs

Right, well, follow me, it's just down this way, he says, glancing once at Trez. The rest of you stay here 'til we come back, no use dragging everyone into it.

Alan stalks catlike ahead of Aerhalyss, opening the door to the armor as quietly as possible.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Xian
2007-10-15, 05:50 PM
The armory has a plentiful, if somewhat homogenized, collection of weapons. Longswords seem to be the standard issue, and there are suits of leather, chainmail and plate mail of standard quality. There are a few maces with the longswords, and across from them are some heavy crossbows and a bin of bolts.

There is a standing cabinet that emits a flurry of faint magical auras that Aerhalyss can detect. Opening the cabinet reveals storage space much larger than could exist given the outside dimensions; it looks as though one could fit about 3 people inside, maybe more if they're especially friendly. Unfortunately, the storage is mostly gone to waste as very little is inside. A few bottles sit on a shelf, two empty, one full, and a small vial that is also full. On the shelf below the bottles is a single feather, exuding a rich green color of the forests themselves.

JEntropy
2007-10-15, 08:25 PM
Alan Gibbs

Well, Aerhalyss, do you make anything of these? The rest of the equipment seems to be rather plain.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-16, 03:53 AM
Sechrin

While waiting for Aerhalyss and Alan to divest the armory of anything recognizably important, Sechrin takes the opportunity to question Trez on a topic of impending importance.

"Since we're waiting on the others, I was wondering something. I've mentioned several times how I wish to avoid injuring any of the afflicted soldiers and guards, but because I believe it will eventually become inevitable, especially if it continues to spread, I want to ask you directly: if we are threatened or outright attacked, what will you do? Will it be difficult for you to fight what used to be your own fellows? Mind what I said before, though--they will kill you as easily as I've seen them kill others who were probably stunned when they were suddenly set upon. I just need to know if I can rely on you to be steadfast in the face of something that would confound a weaker man. I must rely on you to defend me, as I cannot hope to withstand an assault by others with your skills."

Sechrin looks harried and somewhat downtrodden to heighten the gravity and believability of his concerns.

OOCIf a Dip or Bluff is required to continue the charade: [roll0] (+8 for Dip, +10 for Bluff)

Krelon
2007-10-16, 05:00 AM
Aerhalyss

The elf nods and says, "We could take one heavy crossbow for Trez and.. Hmmm... How is his amor? I'm not an expert in these things and didn't care to look, maybe you can find something better here?"

Then looks at the cabinet and adds, "Take a few steps away, just in case something explodes". She gives Alan the opportunity to do so and reaches into it.


spellcraft for the one full bottle and and a small vial. (id potion, DC=25)
Knowledge arcane on a single feather from the shelf below the bottles (suspecting it might be some kind of a "common" feather token)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
are the empty bottles magical in themselves? (like a bottle of smoke/air?) or only empty potion bottles?

Xian
2007-10-16, 12:58 PM
"I'm....not sure. I mean, these are people I know and work with. I suppose if they're sick and they attack us I don't have much of a choice but to defend myself. But I'd rather not kill anyone if I can help it. I...I just don't know. I've never dealt with something like this before."

Aerhalyss:
The empty bottles are just empty, filled with mundane air. The filled bottle contains a low-level casting of Mage Armor (+4 AC). It probably won't last longer than an hour or two. The vial's contents are rather oily in appearance, exhibiting the traits of the Magic Stone spell. (Up to three small stones receive a bonus of +1 to Attack and Damage when used as a ranged weapon, resulting in 1d6+1 damage, or 2d6+2 against undead.) The green feather is a Feather Token: Tree. (It causes a great oak tree to appear instantly, 5' trunk diameter, 60' high, and a crown of 40' in diameter.)
It would seem that these items have been regarded as generally useless by the patrols, which would explain their presence.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-16, 02:32 PM
Sechrin

"I'm sure you haven't. Neither had those others I watched get slaughtered in the frenzy of the afflicted. It won't be easy, but you'll either need to be brave, or end at the point of their blades. Buck up. We'll get through this."

An image of himself whacking Trez upside the head with a shovel ran through Sechrin's mind just then. Show some backbone! You willingly enter into service with nasty people that like to ruin people's lives and you fall in love with your vile comrades? My god...at least don't run away at the first sign of attack.

Sechrin managed a comforting smile and a pat on the shoulder, all the same.

JEntropy
2007-10-16, 05:59 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan doesn't need to be told twice: he backs away immediately, his gaze fixed on the elf as she fumbles in the cabinet. Once she stops, he breaks the silence.

Most of this gear is...incredibly plain. I doubt anyone would want it instead of what they're currently adorned in. Even so, they might, so we should go back and talk to them about it, rather than bringing the lot of it out and giving a clear indication to Trez that we're looting the place.

So...what did you make of the things in that cabinet? he asks curiously.

Krelon
2007-10-16, 06:12 PM
Aerhalyss

After examination of the items she waits for Alan to go through the armors.

"Not so bad. The tree feather is quite interesting. Let's go back to the rest of our team. Alan, do you remember, does any of us use a sling?"

She closes the cabinet, tells Alan what the things are supposed to do. On the way out she takes a heavy crossbow and a quiver of bolts before leaving.

JEntropy
2007-10-16, 09:56 PM
Alan Gibbs

Well, Aerhalyss, we never know when one of those trinkets might find itself to be most useful. Pack them into your bag, since you have a keener sense of them than I.

Going back through the array of weapons and armor once more, he says:

Damn if there aren't any daggers in here. Ah, well. We should be getting back to the others.

Alan leads the way out of the armory, back to the party. Wishing to contribute to the ruse placed on Trez, he begins:

I'm not sure how well outfitted you all are, as we were certainly caught off guard by this ... sickness...that's developed in our fellow guardsmen. As you all well know, that black and white banner signifies that the room is a local armory; much of the equipment inside seems to have been pilfered, but therein remain several longswords and maces, chainmail, plate armor and some leathers, and a few heavy crossbows. If we can expect to struggle with other victims of this affliction as we have so far, we would do well to adorn ourselves properly. We may be all that's keeping this fortress from spiraling into total chaos...

[roll0]

Krelon
2007-10-17, 09:53 AM
Aerhalyss

She waits until Alan is done and hands Trez a crossbow "Here, I know you might have been afflicted yourself but now you can prove that we can trust you. You know, if it is money you are looking for... Sechrin and me know some rich guys that pay better than the slave lords to people that can solve problems. How about you take the offer? Maybe you have some trusted friends that you think might be unaffected and will aid us as well. To be honest, the slave lords are going down soon, this affliction is just a first portent of doom, now is your last chance to be on the side of the winners"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-17, 12:17 PM
Sechrin

This time Sechrin's smile is genuine. Both for Alan's clever support of the ruse to keep Trez as an ally, and for Aerhalyss' considered attempt to bribe Trez to our side, regardless of other considerations. I should have thought of that. So simple. So appropriate. And he nearly pounded me over the head with the idea, earlier.

Ne nods to his fellow elf, indicating his appreciation of the idea. "Yes, Trez. Things are changing here. Some will come out of it better for it, some not at all. It may very well be a perfect opportunity for you to join us properly, rather than temporarily. Think about it. We may need an answer sooner rather than later. For now, would you be comfortable in chainmail or plate? More protection, as you know...but bulkier. Your call, but make it quickly before we lose the opportunity."

Azure eyes stare at Trez as he contemplates a decision.

Xian
2007-10-17, 03:43 PM
"You're confusing reluctance with cowardice," says Trez in a small display of injured pride with a touch of defiance. "It's not that I'd be scared in the slightest, it's just doesn't quite sit right. I mean, you do what needs to be done, and if it comes to a 'me or him' situation I'm all about me, but it's one thing when it's a total stranger you've never seen before or will again and another when it's someone you shared meals and stories with. It would just be....hard."

"Pilfered?" he says when Aerhalyss and Alan return. "Naw, it's more like everything's just been issued out. The armories are almost always pretty bare, so if there's something you want in advance you gotta reserve it. Otherwise things get snatched up real quick-like. There's usually more than enough swords and armor to go around, and then some, but the fancier things like potions and such go quick." Taking the crossbow offered to him, he gives it a quick look-over. "I was never great with these things, but I know how to use 'em. Pain in the butt to reload, but they stick things real good. Thanks."

While examining his new weapon to make sure it's in good working order, he considers Aerhalyss' and Sechrin's offer. "That might not be such a bad idea. I've got it pretty good here, but if you know where I might be better off then I'm game. As for armor, I'm fine like I am. I've got some chain on already under the tunic, and plate mail is just too heavy and loud. You'd have to roll me down the hall and I'd clank the whole way."

No sooner is this amusing illustration voiced than a sudden outburst blasts from the room across from the armory. "BAH! TURKEYS AND BEHOLDERS CONSPIRING together to turn us all into cream...." And then nothing.

Krelon
2007-10-17, 03:56 PM
Aerhalyss

"Right, if I didn't know we have a mind poisoning on our hands here, I'd be really nervous now", actually she is looking pretty nervous all of a sudden

"I suggest we move on, maybe we should discuss the offer in a quiet spot with a game of dice and a drink"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-18, 04:01 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin starts at the sudden loud voice, and it sparks him to hurry things along.

"Yes, I'm afraid that incoherent yelling in there seems to indicate a problem. I've determined the affliction definitely affects the mind directly, causing the victim to shift from seemingly normal to outright insanity, though often they're somewhat lucid before going berserk. If one is afflicted, they're all afflicted," he says with a somewhat melodramatic sigh. "They wouldn't be so calm if there were normal people in their midst--it's the same when they see normal people elsewhere--something snaps in them. Best be prepared, Trez. They aren't who they used to be. They're tricky and bloodthirsty--don't hesitate to do what you need to do. As for having it good here, I'm afraid your choices are far more limited than they used to be. You can either become one of them or fight them off with extreme prejudice. We can provide you the best chance of success in both cases. Pay can be hashed out when things are less volatile. Good? Good."

He turns to Alan and Aerhalyss, and asks, "Did either of you take a look into the other room to see how many were there? Fortunately, if they're asleep, they're likely to be out of any decent armor. If they are, indeed, afflicted, we should seize the advantage of surprise. Alan, can you do a quick count, and while you're in there check one for the signs. They're tricky to see, especially in dim light, so be sure. Like I said, one means all."

JEntropy
2007-10-18, 09:12 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan doesn't say a word, but places a finger on his lips and nods, moving quietly back to the barracks. He leans his back against the wall, extending one hand to open the door as quietly as he can manage for a peek inside, the other hand instinctively moving to the handle of one of his blades one he hopes he won't have to draw.

He closes his eyes, draws a deep breath, then turns the handle...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Godhand
2007-10-18, 10:58 PM
Tristan

Tristan holds watch the other way silently, uneasy with the mind tricks being used on the guardsman. He looks back as Alan opens the door, turning and ready to break into a run to block the door.

Dying by a blow in one's sleep is a sad way to leave, but these men chose their fate. We... I will leave none to subjugate the helpless. A faint shimmer of light leaks out of his faceplate, and Tristan seems more imposing than before.

Xian
2007-10-19, 12:30 PM
The handle slips out of Alan's hand and the bolt snaps back into place with a thwack that is absolutely deafening in the quiet hallway. Inside, a momentary shuffle and rustling of cloth can be heard before all is quiet again. A tense moment later of nothing happening, he pushes the door carefully open, the door creaking quietly on its hinges. Inside are a set of four bunk beds. The second one from the left has someone sleeping on the bottom, and the one next to it, the second from the right, has someone sleeping fitfully in the top bunk.

JEntropy
2007-10-19, 05:48 PM
Alan Gibbs

Alan leans back against the wall, facing the others, and begins gesturing to them:

He holds his right hand out, with two fingers up. Then, he shakes his head, gaze lowered. He pauses, then touches the two fingers to his brow, and gives them a thumbs down. Pause. He points to the group, then shows his palm face out. Finally, after another pause, he places his open hand against his chest, nods toward the doorway to the sleeping guards, and then draws two fingers across his throat.

He draws two blades, and moves quickly and quietly into the room, towards the figure soundly asleep on the lower bed. He breathes deeply, and plunges the blades into areas that will insure a quick and noise-efficient death.

[roll0]
A coup de grace on sleeper 1 means rolling critical damage plus sneak attack:
[roll1] x2 autocrit
[roll2] x2 autocrit

[roll3]
[roll4]

After landing a killing blow, Alan turns to face the other figure.


This is where it gets tricky. It's entirely possible my attack on sleeper 1 will arouse sleeper 2, in which case there should be an initiative roll.

[roll5]

I'll wait to see what pans out to make my next move, and if I get a surprise round.

*EDIT* Damn natural 1 initiative rolls...

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-20, 03:39 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin watches Alan's display of hand signals, some of which were obvious, some not. The gist, however, was clear.

In a heavy whisper, he says to Trez, "Bad news. Two men inside, both afflicted. Their mortal coils will ascend to the presence of their gods and their suffering will be at an end. I can only imagine how terrible it must be to see yourself attacking and murdering your friends as if they were enemies, and being aware of it all along--but not able to resist the urge. No one would wish to live like that."

More grease never hurts a rusty wheel. Sechrin was approaching a point where he might very well be able to write an entire dissertation on The Affliction, its symptoms and its signs. He'd written fiction before, to while away the time.

Xian
2007-10-22, 01:21 PM
The man on the lower bunk has but a moment for his eyes to widen in shock and make some low gurgling sounds as the life evaporates from his body.

The man on the upper bunk rolls over and snores loudly at Alan before he has a chance to react from his first kill. Taking advantage of surprise and the higher ground, he also unleashes a nauseating fart blast, albeit in the wrong direction.

((I wasn't quite sure how to RP a critical "failure" on an Initiative roll; so I improvised.:smallbiggrin: ))

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-22, 10:55 PM
Sechrin

At the unsavory sound that echoes through the nearby corridor, Sechrin clucks his tongue, and mutters, "Ahh, yes, well...where was I?"

JEntropy
2007-10-23, 12:45 AM
Alan Gibbs

(I didn't realize you could critically fail initiative checks.)

Alan moves quickly now, no need for stealth. Approaching the guard, he buries both of his daggers in the victim's neck.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

He then searches the room for anything of warrant, cleaning his blades on some bedsheets, before reporting back to the others.

[roll4]

Xian
2007-10-23, 12:15 PM
((You can't, really, unless you have an especially nasty GM. I just thought I'd have some fun with the low roll.))

The room is rather spartan, as is befitting of barracks. Aside from the two now bloodstained bunks, the others are neatly made with simple linens. At the foot of each is a smallish chest, a footlocker, likely containing personal belongings.

JEntropy
2007-10-23, 05:31 PM
Alan Gibbs

Another sparse room. I doubt we'll find anything of much use here, but it can't hurt to look.

Alan goes over to the lockers to see what "personal belongings" they might hold.
Alan will see if they are unlocked, and if so, search inside. If not, [roll0], and if that fails, he'll return to the group to see if anyone else can manage it.

Xian
2007-10-23, 05:44 PM
The foot locker on the far left is locked, but poorly, and Alan is able to jimmy it open with little effort. Inside are some spare changes of clothes and 3 coppers in change, but nothing else that appears especially useful. The next two are unlocked, as their prior owners are currently in the room, albeit far more dead than they once were. The second one has some boiled leather breastplate and some bracers in addition to spare clothes. The third again has spare clothing in addition to a pair of boots and a small ring. The footlocker on the far right has a better lock than the first and resists Alan's lockpicking attempt. However, there is a broom stashed under the bunk right behind the footlocker for some reason.

Krelon
2007-10-24, 05:21 AM
Aerhalyss

"Do you think he is in trouble? The sounds have been .... disturbing".

detect magic is of duration: concentration
so unless something more straining than talking happens, she'll try to keep it up for some time (you never know....)

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-24, 11:07 AM
Sechrin

Sechrin regards Aerhalyss speculatively for a moment, before saying, "I'll go have a look."

This time he doesn't say anything to Trez, as he had in almost all cases before. If the man was still unconvinced of things in the elf's fairy tale, it simply wasn't going to happen.

He moves off quietly to the door and looks in on Alan. The smell of blood, and other consequences of his actions, was immediate and obvious. Sechrin ticks his tongue to gain Alan's attention, then steps fully inside, rhetorically asking in a low voice, "The deed is done, yes?" The elf notices one of the open footlockers, and adds, "Anything worthy of interest?"

JEntropy
2007-10-25, 06:31 AM
Alan Gibbs

Perhaps.

That one I got into pretty easily, but only some copper pieces and clothes. These two must have belonged to the gentlemen in here, unlocked. Some decent armor in the former, and the latter has a pair of boots and a small ring.

This one I'm a little more interested in. I'm having trouble with the lock - are you any good with these? And, strangest thing, there's a broom under the bed, right behind the locker. Under the bed! I'd like to see what's worth a fancy lock like this, and maybe have Aerhalyss look at the other items to see what she makes of them?

Psionic Dog
2007-10-25, 08:10 AM
Rashnik

Now that the need for stealth has lessened, the lizardman follows Sechrin into the room. He quickly takes in the dead bodies, opened chests, and idenitfies the current problm as the unopened chest.

"Would it be better if we just smashed the chest open?"

Xian
2007-10-25, 11:32 AM
Trez goes a bit pale at the sight of the slaughter, and his face starts to darken menacingly. It passes quickly as he regains control of himself, perhaps remembering all that he'd been told by Aerhalyss and Sechrin about the "infection" that had been spreading around that he had somehow been spared from.

"Those things aren't the sturdiest in the world," he says to Rashnik, clearly in a more foul mood than before. "They keep things from 'wandering away', but you could probably break it open without much trouble."

Krelon
2007-10-25, 04:23 PM
Aerhalyss

The elf concentrates on keeping up her arcane sight and looks around in the room.

if anything magical, she'll immediately tell the others

Xian
2007-10-25, 05:09 PM
Aerhalyss
The ring, bracers and broom all give off magic auras. The bracers and ring have a faint abjuration aura, while the broom has a moderate transmutation aura.

Psionic Dog
2007-10-25, 09:34 PM
Rashnik

The lizardman inspects the chest for a moment, then crosses the hall to the armory and looks for a crowbar or battleax. Failing to find either he'll take a longsword.

JEntropy
2007-10-25, 10:42 PM
Alan Gibbs

Seeing that others have come in to appraise the findings, and also the conflict apparent on Trez's face, Alan quickly shifts into damage control.

He goes over to Trez, pulling him off to the side as the others go about their work, and whispers, I'm sorry, chap. I can see it tears you up inside as much as it does me to see what this affliction has brought us too. But you haven't seen the savagery yet. My best man was one of the ones who fell under this affliction... he trails off.

At this point, there's no thinking to it. The afflicted have shown us time and again if we don't get to them first, they'll get to us. This group you're traveling with now? Used to be twice this size. Things have gotten real ugly down here...

And these two... he shakes his head, telltale signs. If I hadn't done them... he licks his lips, pausing somberly. If I hadn't done them, theyd've been at my throat soon as look at me.

Look at you. Here I am talking your ears off! Are you alright, man?

[roll0]

Krelon
2007-10-26, 02:42 AM
Aerhalyss

Lovely! I knew something exciting waits in the right corridor - thank you Tymora for sending me the sign!

"The bracers and the ring seem to be protective items, that's my guess, more precisely it's school of abjuration but the broom is very interesting, a moderate transmutation aura, actually that's more than average. I'd love to analyze it tomorrow." she looks like a little girl playing with her favourite teddy, eyes glittering not caring what's around (blood e.t.c.) chattering away "Yes, yes, I have to prepare a spell. Of course an analysis burns materials during the process and unfortunately all known components are rather costly. If we only had some pearls or small gems or probably a lump of gold this size" Aerhalyss cups her hands indicating a lump of gold which size roughly equals one hundred pieces (if you can appraise it correctly). The not so happy thought of missing a needed spell component makes her stop talking at last.

She shakes her head "My, my, one day I get eaten by an owlbear while contemplating some magical phenomenon."

She tries to remember the basic lectures from her master, giving the ring and the bracers a closer look, maybe having memorized a treatise on exactly such items.


is it ok to substitute expensive materials? in most groups you pay 100 and do the id.

draconic is the language of the scholars, right? (and dragons and kobolds...)

could the items be what I expect: some sort of protection items (which sort of protection that may be beyond this simple analysis, but still...)

classifying the school of magic: [roll0] (skillfocus :smallwink: )
knowledge of basic rings and bracers: [roll1]

Xian
2007-10-26, 11:31 AM
The second scouring of the armory produces no battle axes. Either they aren't used, or have all been issued. A longsword will have to do for now for Rashnik's own brand of thievery.

"I'm alright, it's just weird. I know what's going on, but I can't help but feel like I'm a traitor. Stupid, I know, but it's just how I feel. I'll be ok; just gimme a minute to sort myself out," says Trez to Alan's reassurances. "Really, I'll be fine."

Aerhalyss:
((OOC: I'll not allow a substitution of materials, but I'll allow a substitution of skills, which you've seem to have done. Without an Identify spell, I'll allow the combined Spellcraft and Knowledge checks to essentially function in the same manner as the Appraise check. Naturally, your character will have no way of knowing if they got it right or wrong, unlike the 100% certainty given by Identify, and will have to run with the results unless a second appraisal, Identify, or experimentation proves it to be otherwise. Appropriate rolls will correctly identify an item, with very common and exceptionally rare items having the lowest DC, while items more in the midrange having higher DCs. My logic for this is that wizards and sorcerers, through the course of their studies, would likely be very familiar with basic protection rings and armor AND Ioun Stones and Decks of Many Things, but various rods and wands as well as different grades of Bags of Holding would need more to be absolutely certain of their function. As with Appraise, you only get one check per item, no second tries until you add ranks into the skills.

Incidentally, the bracers and ring are each +1 AC, though something in the auras is ever so slightly off, like the smell of a bouquet of fragrant wildflowers growing too near a garlic field. The broom seems to be just fine, and on the top of the handle, in small Common letters, is inscribed "Zip Zip Zoom".))

Krelon
2007-10-26, 03:22 PM
Aerhalyss

"Definitively protective items, both of minor power, so I guess for now it's not essential if we use them. To be one hundred percent sure they're not bogus I'll have to analyze them further but if one of you would like to gamble, feel free. Those things are more suited for fighters than for casters."

She clutches the broom , "For now, I'd like to keep this baby if you don't mind. I wished we'd be somewhere in the open to give it a try. Maybe it's a flying broom, like evil witches' broom in child stories. Could also be a broom of tidiness and dedusting, really handy for wizards with her own tower and no staff"

"Go on with the locker then, maybe there's more to discover!", the girl adds ardently.

Psionic Dog
2007-10-26, 04:35 PM
Rashnik

"Anyone object if I crack this nut? I couldn't find an ax, so this sword will have to do." If he hears no objections the lizardman begins to make kindling out of the chest.


Swing #1: [roll0]
Swing #2(just in case swing 1 didn't crack the chest)[roll1]
Swing #3(If for some improbable reason the chest is still unopenable adding power attack (2): [roll2]

Xian
2007-10-26, 05:30 PM
The chest shatters into millions of bitty pieces under the lizardman's blows, the foul being vanquished. Inside are the standard-issue clothes and armor that are not unlike the ones found in the other three. Something different is a small, sealed envelope that can be seen sticking out of the tunic.

Aerhalyss:
The envelope, or actually whatever's inside, emits a moderate abjuration aura.

Krelon
2007-10-26, 06:00 PM
Aerhalyss

"It's our lucky day! Something magical is inside the envelope. Better open this one carefully"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-27, 11:52 PM
Sechrin

His reply to Alan was delayed at the arrival of the others, and he stepped aside closer to the door as they milled about. When Trez was taken aside and provided with more faux moral support, Sechrin took the opportunity to cover the two slain men with their blankets, feigning reverence for the dead and obviously mouthing nonsense words well beneath his breath to give the impression of a prayer.

He stepped out of the room and into the passageway, flicking lingering glances down both directions in case the sound of Rashnik's chest slaughtering had carried too far.

Krelon
2007-10-28, 05:30 AM
Aerhalyss

Since noone else moves to it, she shrugs and carefully pulls out the envelope itself, paying attention if magical runes have been inscribed on it (but not reading them in this case). Then she inspects how it has been closed, sealed maybe, and if there is any trace of magic there as well. Finally she moves a few feet away from her comrades before carefully opening the envelope without touching the contents and peeking inside.


in case that some information can be yielded, please feel free to utilize following rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Xian
2007-10-29, 12:32 PM
The hallway is cold and quiet for Sechrin as he looks up and down. It's impossible to tell if anyone heard the ruckus or not, but if they have they haven't made any perceptible response.

The envelope is mostly blank and is rune-free, having only a name inscribed on the front - Kleah. Inside is a folded sheet of parchment and a pair of simple silver rings, which are emitting the auras.
Aerhalyss:
The rings' simplicity combined with their auras and the fact that there are two identify them readily. They are Friend Shields. These curious rings always come in pairs; a friend shield ring without its mate is useless. Either wearer of one of a pair of the rings can, at any time, command his or her ring to cast a Shield Other spell with the wearer of the mated ring as the recipient. Like love and the bonds of friendship, their effect transcends all distance.

Krelon
2007-10-29, 12:43 PM
Aerhalyss

Oh my, this going to be hard

She braces herself and opens the letter.

Xian
2007-10-29, 03:37 PM
The letter is folded into thirds and opens up to a page of script done in a masculine, practiced hand.

My Kleah,

My debt is nearly paid, and we will finally be able to leave this place. I still cannot believe that I found one such as you in a place such as this. I know that you have your concerns, but rest assured, I have taken measures to make certain that we will begin our life on solid ground. Part of the reason that I have taken so long to pay off my debt here is that I've been saving no small part of my income, and I have enough to keep us secure. This ring enclosed is a testament to that. It is one of a pair, and I wear the mate, but there is more to them than simple sentiment and silver. These rings are magic, and they protect each other. Any time you think of me, the ring will protect me, as mine will you. If our time here has shown anything, it's that the world can be dangerous, and these will help keep us safe and happy to the end of our days. I will be thinking of you often, as you will soon see. Our new life is about to begin.

Yours forever,
-Breon

Krelon
2007-10-30, 05:50 AM
Aerhalyss

She is very quiet while searching the place, including the corpses, for any clues regarding Kleah and Breon.

Xian
2007-10-30, 11:02 AM
The two slain guards are both male, and the letter was found in the chest at the foot of one of the empty bunks. While entirely possible that one or even both of the dead men could be the names mentioned in the letter, circumstances would suggest that Breon and Kleah are in absentia.

The two men themselves hold no clues, being barely-clothed bodies in beds, and nothing in any of the three chests and one tinder pile reveal further information on the two lovers.

Krelon
2007-10-30, 11:45 AM
Aerhalyss

"The rings are love tokens and barely of a value to us."

She scribbles a note saying 'don't wait, give it to her and leave the slave lords ASAP', puts it together with the rings into the envelope and the envelope itself back into the tunic.

"Let's go on before the patrol comes back. Maybe we should take uniforms and standard weapons with us to be able to disguise as guards?"

JEntropy
2007-10-30, 05:50 PM
Alan Gibbs

Thrust into an extremely apprehensive state by Aerhalyss' choice of words, Alan glances sidelong at Trez before attempting to defuse the matter.

What a silly insinuation, Aerhalyss. Take equipment from our comrades to disguise ourselves as ourselves? I don't need anything from the armory to look like a guard, after as long as I've served here.

I question your taste, though. Surely, respect for our fallen brothers he says, motioning to the covered corpses demands a more somber and respectful tone. We don't have time to do this the right way, but let's show them some respect and then take our leave without leaving them for more of the afflicted to come upon

Bluff, for Trez's sake
[roll0]


If the situation seems to resolve, Alan will try and meet eyes with Aerhalyss so he can furrow his brow and glare at her disapprovingly.

Godhand
2007-10-30, 06:11 PM
Tristan

Tristan moves from his place along the wall, scanning over the "basic equipment" of the guards. The knight gives an approving nod as he inspects the items but leaves the bodies as they died.

"These are well kept, but unneeded."

He turns to the door. "Split up anything of use, and be quick. The dead should be left alone."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-30, 06:40 PM
Sechrin

Sechrin takes one extra quick pair of glances up and down the hall, then steps inside the room.

"It doesn't appear anyone's heard the noise. I also think it's time to go, assuming everyone's finished. I'm afraid we'll have plenty of work to do if we're to have any chance of stamping out the affliction before it overtakes the entire complex," he says gravely, looking at no one in particular.

Then he's back outside, this time focusing his eyes on the dim light illuminating the way down the western corridor.

OOCI'm inclined to go west, so when everyone's ready, just drag me along if I'm a bit late to post my own action. I'll go east, or whatever. I just think continuing west is no worse than other directions, at this point.

Krelon
2007-10-31, 05:44 AM
Aerhalyss

"The patrol we met will return here and we know that they are against us, certainly the minotaur is bloodthirsty"

this cannot go on like this

She looks at Alan then at Trez "There has to a confrontation at some point or another. Make up your mind Trez, which side are you on? I doubt we can do much to heal the rest of the fortress, so there will be more fights. I also doubt that you are an evil person, do you really want to keep working for the slavers if you have a choice? You should know that the people of the lands around here and the rulers will be very greatful. There will be extra payment and amnesty will be granted to those who deserve it. The slavers and their tools, they are evil and dangerous and they are sick and insane. Which side are you on?"

if noone supports the idea of waiting here for ambush she will follow west

Xian
2007-10-31, 11:55 AM
"I'll fight as I have to, and I trust you. Killing those men in their beds upset me some, but I recognized those rings and letter you picked up. Those were Breon's weren't they? He's been working off some kind of debt he picked up, and to pay for those things he got set back like 6 months at least, and he's been pullin' extra duties to try to make it up for lost time. For you to not take 'em really says something, so I trust you as much as Sechrin.

I work for the slavers more out of convenience than anything. It's decent pay and all that, but I don't have any special attachment to them one way or the other, so if you say there's a better deal out there for me, I'm for it."

When Trez finishes his conversation with Aerhalyss, the floor begins to rumble and shake, and the beds creak softly as they gently sway to the tremors. It lasts perhaps a mere 10 seconds and then all is still.

"Ugh, I hate those. Seem to be gettin' more frequent lately, too."

((OOC: The shaking, in real-life terms, would be comparable to being on a second floor apartment and having a big rig drive by. Enough to get your attention and maybe rattle some plates, but not enough to cause damage or make anyone fall down.))

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-31, 08:17 PM
Sechrin

The rumbling startles Sechrin momentarily, but at Trez' remark, he willfully becomes nonchalant as if he's experienced it many times before. He even nods and grunts mildly in agreement. Then he attempts to end this vacillating once and for all, riding Aerhalyss heels.

"There is most definitely a better deal out there, Trez. Those that refuse to recognize the mistakes they've made and continue to foster the actions of the Slave Lords are beginning to reap their rewards in the form of the affliction. Eventually, it will consume them all, and I suspect that when they notice there are no others to oppose them, they will begin falling upon one other like starving wolves, or worse, think to look for fodder in the places above. Thousands of innocents would be slaughtered or unwillingly swell their ranks."

Sechrin flicks his cloak distractedly, and adds, "Each of us has made our own mistakes, but we've all risen above them and are attempting to make some measure of recompense for them. Wisely or not, we have decided to take it upon ourselves to prevent the affliction from leaving this place. If that means we must end the lives of those who've already succumbed, foot soldier and Slave Lord alike, so be it. Sometimes necessity simply outweighs personal desires. I wish that it weren't required, but I am swayed by fate as much as anyone else. If you offer your loyalty to us, we shall do so in return, and all of us will see better lives in the not too distant future, out of this hellhole, and free of worries concerning it."

He places a gentle hand on Trez' shoulder and asks directly: "I don't wish to press you, but Aerhalyss is correct. You must offer a commitment, not simply a potential. Which do you choose? A better life, or an ignominious death amongst the afflicted?"

Xian
2007-11-01, 01:11 PM
"I'll go with you," he says after a moment of consideration. "Like I said, I have no special attachment here. So shall we move on, or do you want to rest up here for a little bit? These doors do have locks on them, if you're wondering."

Velvet Elvis
2007-11-01, 08:19 PM
Sechrin

"Excellent. A wise decision," says Sechrin with a satisfied nod, though the fact that the man appeared to actually pause to consider life over death did challenge his sarcasm reflex.

"As for resting here, I've been wondering. Given the layout that we've seen in this area, about how much time do you figure a patrol would take to make a full circuit? And is it typical that only a few men rest in each barracks at any one time?"

Krelon
2007-11-02, 05:43 AM
Aerhalyss

Beaming a smile at Trez, "Glad to have you on board. I was looking forward to continuing out game of dice".

Looking around she continues in a more sober tone "Right, if we could rest here safely for a while, that would be great. Solid locks - locked - and loud snoring should shake off eavesdroppers. If the more bloodthirsty types appear at least we'll be warned."

"I think that we should scout the area just a little, see how far away other rooms are. Wouldn't be nice to discover something nasty around the corner. On the other hand, maybe there are more empty rooms just after the next bend."

Xian
2007-11-02, 10:54 AM
"Well, it doesn't take patrols very long to make a full circuit. Maybe thirty minutes or so. But they do the route about a dozen times on a shift. Usually an entire barrack room will go on a shift, so I don't know why these two were here. Maybe they'd had extra duty or something and needed the sleep.

I'm looking forward to dicing, too, if we have the time," he says with a grin.