PDA

View Full Version : has any1 made an intelligent weapon?

Volug
2007-08-13, 11:16 PM
i was thinking on making one, but im curious to see other peoples designs before i do so to get some ideas.
so if you can post 1 or 2 that would be great thanks.

Malic
2007-08-13, 11:22 PM
I made an Intelligent sword once. It was an Expireriment by a crazy wizard who took the soul from a newly dead Merchant. It had standard Longsword stats but gave you a +2 to all skills involved in bartering whenever they came up. Never got to use it though.

Volug
2007-08-13, 11:24 PM
i'll start making mine maybe i'll post it on here tomarrow.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-13, 11:28 PM
Tempting to make a suicidal one.

"I've been stuck here for a thousand years. I've only just found out it was a thousand years. I can't see so it's hard to tell time. I can't see or feel anything either. I can't move. Can you toss me into a lava bed please? I hate my life and I want to die."

de-trick
2007-08-13, 11:29 PM
I had one that was a soal of a demon and wanted blood, and when it had blood i went into a frenzy

Volug
2007-08-13, 11:35 PM
i've decided to make one after the campain where i found a long evil katana blade that helped me take over the world if i got him out of the sword and into a body. it turned out to be a surpremly evil demi-god. and im his right hand man :smallbiggrin:
but that campain is over

Paragon Badger
2007-08-13, 11:51 PM
Enseric The Longsword ftw.

"Blech! The undead taste so... foul!"

"Orcs!? Why are there always ORCS!?"

"Mmmm! I love elf in the morning!"

DracoDei
2007-08-13, 11:55 PM
So.... do red dragons taste like Mexican food or Thai?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-08-13, 11:58 PM
mmm.. Goblin Taco's... (see small world building thread. FOR FUN!)

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 12:10 AM
I made an intelligent artifact kukri once. His name was Larry, and he had very low Charisma. He was annoying as all hell, and always messed things up.

"Hey, pull my finger."
"You're a knife..."
"*fart noise*"

Xefas
2007-08-14, 12:14 AM
Enseric The Longsword ftw.

"Blech! The undead taste so... foul!"

"Orcs!? Why are there always ORCS!?"

"Mmmm! I love elf in the morning!"

Was that the intelligent blade from Hordes of the Underdark? I could be misremembering, but it sounds familiar...

Anyways, I made an intelligent weapon once. It was a greatsword that looked like a jagged piece of glass. In reality, it was a shard from the hourglass of the God of Time, who, shortly after the dawn of time, was forgotten by mankind as they started to worship things like the celestial bodies in order to tell time, rather than its creator himself. After having no worshippers for long enough, he became a Vestige (see Tome of Magic), and his only wordly possession- his hourglass, was destroyed. Most of the pieces followed the god into his bleak existence, but one small shard survived.

It just so happened that the shard came into existence (as it had been floating in the time stream at first) shortly before being picked up by a PC. The shard was the only connection the forsaken god had to the realm of existence, so he was very clingy towards the sword's wielder and rather depressing at times. He'd say things like "Nooooo, I'm sorry I missed the goblin! I didn't mean to! Don't leave meeeee! It wasn't my f-f-fault!!!" or just when the PC was about to go to sleep, it'd whisper "I know when you're going to die..." and then promptly begin snoring.

The Demented One
2007-08-14, 01:06 AM
Here you go...

Ta Ruul
Ta Ruul is an exception to the rule that staffs cannot be intelligent items. While he is intelligent, he knows that when he runs out of charges, he will, for all purposes, "die" - and he would sacrifice anything to prevent that. His stats are as follows:

+3 Spell Storing Quarterstaff; AL NE; Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 19; Speech, Telepathy, 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, hearing; ego score 27

Special Powers
Rather than having normal special powers, Ta Ruul functions as a normal staff. Either he, or his wielder, may make use of these spells, though only one may do so in a round. Because they are tied to his life, Ta Ruul is loathe to allow his charges to be used, and only uses them when his existence is in immediate peril--or, on very rare occasions, that of a wielder he is very fond of. Anyone attempting to cast a spell against his will must make an opposed Charisma check to do so. He can cast the following spells:
[list]
Disintegrate (2 charges)
Dominate Person (3 charges)
Finger of Death (2 charges)
Fly (1 charge)
Greater Dispel Magic (2 charges)
Greater Invisibility (1 charge)
Lightning Bolt (1 charge)
Mage Armor (1 charge)
Scorching Ray (1 charge)
Spell Turning (2 charges)
True Seeing (2 charges)

In addition, Ta Ruul has one more ability. He can recharge himself--by expending the life of his wielder. To do so, he must first become dominant over his wielder in a personality conflict. He can then force his wielder make a DC 21 Fortitude save or die. If he fails, he dies, an Ta Ruul regains 1 charge per 5 caster levels of his ex-wielder, though this may not bring him above 50 charges. He may also attempt to kill his wielder without gaining dominance first should the wielder ever fall to -1 hp or less.

Personality
While Ta Ruul is evil, this is only because he is willing to sacrifice others' lives for his own. When his own life is not in peril, he is polite, courteous, and an absolute gentleman. He is perfectly content to be wielded as a weapon, but will only allow his charges to be expended if he believes his own life is in danger. If he ever falls to less than 10 charges, he will begin subtly trying to get his owner into a situation where the owner falls below -1 hp, so he can subtly kill his owner, without the owner's allies noticing. As his charges drop more and more, he becomes less subtle, and may try to force his wielder into a personality conflict. If he ever drops to 1 or 2 charges, he will immediately begin doing nothing but trying to kill his owner. When he does try to kill his owner, he takes no joy in doing so. The last words heard by many mages have been an explanation and a polite, sincere apology from Ta Ruul. On a very, very rare occasion, Ta Ruul may develop a very strong friendship with his wielder. He will allow this wielder to use charges as he sees fit, and will not try to kill him unless he falls to 1 or 2 charges. However, if his favored owner is evil, or temptable, he will suggest having the wielder give him to another caster, letting him kill that caster, and then having the wielder retrieve him.

Strong All Schools, CL 15th. Craft Staff, disintegrate, dominate person, finger of death, fly, greater dispel magic, greater invisibility, lightning bolt, mage armor, scorching ray, spell turning, true seeing. Cost 32,500 gp + 2,600 xp. Price 65,000 gp.

Duke of URL
2007-08-14, 07:31 AM
I created a set, the Heartwar Swords (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2004547&postcount=3), for a design contest some time ago. 'Course, I didn't win anything with these, so take that for what it's worth. :smallbiggrin:

Volug
2007-08-14, 09:48 AM
the staff looks pretty good.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-14, 09:54 AM
I made an intelligent quaterstaff as a lych's thinggy (cant spell it, the thing they keep their soul in). It was cool, the players didn't think that the large amounts of magic coming from it might be more than it being intelligent.