PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ring of Kfthrgrth

Zsep
2017-09-22, 02:52 PM
Hey folks, new here. I've played for a long time but recently started my first campaign as a GM. We are using Pathfinder and the group includes 3 veteran players and 2 brand new players.

One of the new players needs a little push to get invested. Her character so far has stood back, let others take the spotlight, and I can tell she still isn't sure about the hobby.

So far, she's shown a desire to roleplay her character as grotsque and alien. She's playing as a Gillman and is playing a sorcerer with the intent to go dragon disciple. She's not going optimal or anything and I don't have real concerns about power balance when it comes to her.
I came up with an idea for a "cursed" ring that slowly turns the wearer into a pseudo-aboleth. I think it will get her more invested and adventurous on the RP side, and while the abilities are useful, I don't think they'll break her given her build.

As an adventure hook, I'll have the veiled masters keeping an eye on her, and they'll eventually attempt to use her to awaken the Great Old Ones.

I just want some critique on the ring and the abilities granted, as well as the progression and if it makes sense. They're currently level 2 and will probably find it at the end of the current adventure, where they'll likely be level 3.
You can see what I've got below. Sorry it's a bit long:

Ring of Kfthrgth
This ring is a dark green and has the appearance of a sinewy tentacle wrapped around the wearer’s finger. It bears a crest depicting three red eyes that seem to stare into your very soul.

Upon wearing the ring, it forms a telepathic link with the wearer, but only speaks and understands aboleth. It is intelligent and attempts to communicate with the wearer, telepathically asking them if they accept the blessing of Kfthrgrth. If the creature understands aboleth but does not accept, the ring will make promises of power to the wearer. If they accept verbally in aboleth, the ring binds to the wearer, causing their flesh to grow around the ring, leaving the crest visible.

The Blessing of Kfthrgrth bestows mutations that manifest in stages. Upon reaching the designated character level, the mutations progress to the next stage within 3 days’ time. This progression is sped up by attempting to cut, burn, or otherwise remove an appendage gained this way. If an appendage gained this way is removed, it will grow back, faster than the time before. The skin around the ring, as well as that on and around the mutations, is green and scaly. It is no harder or more durable than flesh.

If the finger the ring is worn on is amputated, the Blessing of Kfthrgrth is removed. All mutations remain in their current form but do not progress or regenerate. Any spell-like abilities gained through the blessing cease to function. A high-level cleric may be able to return the body to normal at this point through a difficult ritual, but scars will remain where the mutations were.

Stage 1: At level 1 or when the blessing is obtained, the wearer grows gills on the right side of their neck and become amphibious (they can breathe both water and air). They also gain a small tentacle about the size of a finger on their right shoulder. This tentacle is controllable but useless. The ring does not communicate with the wearer at this level, but it does pay attention to its surroundings. It cannot read the wearer’s mind.

Stage 2: At level 4, the tentacle on the right shoulder grows to the length of a forearm, but remains fairly weak. A second tentacle the size of a finger grows on the wearer’s left shoulder. On the second day of transition to this stage, the wearer is afflicted by a massive headache for 6 hours. A slight bump appears in the center of the wearer’s forehead. Following the headache, the ring learns and can speak telepathically and understand all languages the wearer can. It begins suggesting courses of action, but cannot make any check to attempt to sway the wearer’s mind.

Stage 3: At level 7, The tentacle on the right shoulder grows to the size of an arm. Treat it as a prehensile tail. The tentacle on the left shoulder grows to the size of a forearm. A third tentacle the size of a finger grows on the wearer’s left side, just below the ribcage. In the center of the wearer’s forehead, where the slight bump was, a third, red eye begins to open. It can only squint but has low-light vision 30ft and gives a +2 to passive perception. This eye gets a +5 to will and fortitude DC’s that are triggered optically, such as a medusa’s ability to turn to stone. The wearer’s hands and feet become slightly webbed, granting a swim speed of 20ft if they have no swim speed, or increasing the existing swim speed by 10ft.

Stage 4: At level 10, the tentacle on the right shoulder grows thicker and stronger. It is no longer flexible enough to act as a prehensile tail but gains a 1d4 natural attack. The tentacle on the left shoulder grows to the size of an arm and can be used as a prehensile tail. The tentacle on the left side of the torso grows to the size of a forearm. A new tentacle the size of a finger grows on the right side of the torso. The third eye can now completely open and grants darkvision 30ft while underwater. The ring can now make a +4 bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate check against the wearer to try and influence its actions. Their skin starts to secrete a clear mucus while underwater and they gain the mucus cloud ability:

Mucus Cloud (Ex)
While underwater, this creature exudes a cloud of transparent slime. All creatures adjacent to this creature must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save each round or lose the ability to breathe air (but gain the ability to breathe water) for 3 hours. Renewed contact with this creature’s mucus cloud and failing another save extends the effect for another 3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Stage 5: At level 13, The tentacle on the right shoulder becomes even stronger. Its damage die increases to 1d6. The tentacle on the left shoulder grows thicker and stronger, and gains a 1d4 natural attack. The tentacle on the left side of the torso grows to the size of an arm and can be used as a prehensile tail. The tentacle on the right side of the torso grows to the size of a forearm.

The wearer gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has 3 or more natural attacks and does not already have that feat. If it does not have the requisite 3 or more natural attacks, the wearer instead gains a second attack with one of its natural weapons, albeit at a –5 penalty. If the eidolon later gains 3 or more natural attacks, it loses this additional attack and instead gains Multiattack.

Twice a day, the third eye can now discretely use charm person as a spell-like ability. Eye contact must be made during the round in which the ability is used. Bystanders must make a DC25 perception check to recognize the charm person attempt.

Stage 6: At level 16, The tentacle on the left shoulder becomes even stronger. Its damage die increases to 1d6.The tentacle on the left side of the torso grows to the size of an arm, effectively granting two prehensile tails. As a swift action, the wearer may stow or retrieve up to two items, or by using both tentacles in unison, they may stow or retrieve a single item, as if the wearer had the Grasping Tail feat.

Once a day, the third eye can now discretely use Modify Memory as a spell-like ability. Eye contact must be made during the round in which the ability is used, but it can be broken while the memory is being written, so long as the affected creature remains within close range. Bystanders must make a DC25 perception check to recognize the Modify Memory attempt.

The number of uses for the Charm Person spell-like ability increases to 3 per day.

The ring’s charisma-based checks increase to +10. The wearer feels a constant urge, but not a compulsion, to submit to the veiled masters.

Stage 7: At level 19, The tentacles on the shoulders begin to secrete a thick, corrosive slime. A creature hit by the wearer’s tentacle must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or his skin and flesh transform into a clear, slimy membrane over the course of 1d4 rounds. The creature’s new “flesh” is soft and tender, reducing its Constitution score by 4 as long as it persists. If the creature’s flesh isn’t kept moist, it dries quickly and the victim takes 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. Remove disease and similar effects can restore an afflicted creature to normal, but immunity to disease offers no protection from this attack. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Once a day, the third eye can now discretely use Dominate Person as a spell-like ability. Eye contact must be made during the round in which the ability is used. Bystanders must make a DC25 perception check to recognize the Modify Memory attempt. The wearer can only retain control of one creature in this way. If a second attempt is successful, the first creature is released from the wearer’s control.

The uses per day for the Charm Person ability goes up to 5, and the uses per day for the Modify Memory ability goes up to 3.

rferries
2017-09-22, 08:48 PM
This is an awesomely creepy writeup. Since she isn't particularly optimised it should be fine overall. It might be helpful to streamline all the abilities into one table though (HD vs. the abilities you get, a la half-celestials), and make it a template that you get from wearing the ring.

Composer99
2017-09-25, 12:44 PM
Neat ring.

I do have a question about this sentence (when the third eye appears, in stage 3):

This eye gets a +5 to will and fortitude DC’s that are triggered optically, such as a medusa’s ability to turn to stone.

This doesn't seem clear. Do you, the bearer of the ring, get a bonus to Fortitude and Will saves against optical triggers (gaze attacks, etc.)? Or are the DCs of such effects increased by 5 because it's harder to avoid them with the third eye?

Zsep
2017-09-29, 09:25 PM
Neat ring.

I do have a question about this sentence (when the third eye appears, in stage 3):

This doesn't seem clear. Do you, the bearer of the ring, get a bonus to Fortitude and Will saves against optical triggers (gaze attacks, etc.)? Or are the DCs of such effects increased by 5 because it's harder to avoid them with the third eye?

I meant saves. My mistake. The third eye is resistant to such abilities.