2007-08-14, 02:15 AM
Nagol
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+15 (33 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+5 chainmail), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Greatsword +7 melee (2d6+3) or Longbow +4 ranged (1d10)
Full Attack: Greatsword +7 melee (2d6+3) or Longbow +4 ranged (1d10)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: –
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 1, low-light vision, metabolic surge
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 8, Cha 6
Skills: Intimidate +0, Listen +1, Spot +2
Feats: Power Attack, Toughness
Environment: Cold Mountains
Organization: Solitary, raiding party (2-4), mob (10-50 plus 1-6 1st level Barbarians and 1 4th-6th level Barbarian), or tribe (50-250 plus 50% noncombatants plus 10-25 1st-4th level Barbarians plus 5-15 5th-10th level Barbarians)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By class level (Favored Class: Barbarian)
Level Adjustment: +1

Nagols are a small race of monstrous humanoids, commonly found dwelling on mountains. They possess the ability to heal their wounds rapidly, and are thus often mistaken for undergrown trolls, leading to them being known by misnomers such as half-trolls or trollblooded. They are thought to share their ancient ancestry with the trolls, but modern Nagols and Trolls are very distinct species. Unique to Nagols is the ability to temporarily channel their healing ability, using it to instead increase their strength, speed, or durability. Nagols typically stand around 6 or 7 feet high. Their skin is suffused with a faint red tinge, as if their whole body was covered in scar tissue. Although Nagols are unintelligent and uncivilized by the standards of many races, they are actually a relatively peaceful race. Though they often clash with other races over various issues, most Nagols will tolerate members of other species, and violent attacks by them are rare.

Metabolic Surge (Ex)
A Nagol can focus and subsume its healing abilities to enhance its physical power. As a swift action, it may temporarily lose its fast healing ability to gain one of the following benefits:

+4 bonus to Strength or Dexterity.
+2 bonus to natural armor.
Damage reduction 1/–.
Resistance 5 to one energy type.

A Nagol can use its metabolic surge ability for up to a number of rounds equal to 3 plus its Constitution modifier. It can also end it, and regain its fast healing ability, at any time, as an immediate action. Once a Nagol stops using its metabolic surge ability for either reason, it must wait 5 rounds before it can use it again. In addition, when a Nagol is severely wounded, its metabolic surge ability goes into overdrive, becoming even more powerful. As long as a Nagol has less than one-quarter its total hit points when it uses its metabolic surge ability, it may choose to gain two, rather than one benefits. However, it cannot voluntarily end the metabolic surge when it does so.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 03:03 PM
I like the metabolic surge ability, but it seems a bit powerful in combat, considering it only has fast healing 1 and 33 average hp. It's not giving very much up during combat, while it heals very fast outside of combat. It might be more interesting to give it fast healing 3-5, or maybe regeneration, where the surge would stop only the healing part, not the non-lethal from non-whatever sources.

ImpFireball
2007-08-15, 09:59 PM
Fast healing is a greater benefit then anything else. Trust me, if I were to choose between having a few more half-inches worth of muscle on the body, some tougher skin, thicker skin, or the ability to actually resist the elements to an extent... the ability to heal myself over time without any rest would ridiculously compete.

+4 strength only really equates to a plus 4/2 in nearly every roll (sometimes a 3 in certain situations involving weapons requiring both hands).

Nevertheless, I believe in supporting powerful monsters with low hit die as well. We can't all be biased about this issue.

In any sense, I've got nothing against your creature concept here. Peaceful doesn't add up to 'evil', so maybe some alignment issues might be worked out here (such as chaotic neutral or good from the looks of it).

Goober4473
2007-08-15, 10:24 PM
I just think fast healing is a much better between combats ability. Turn on a damage boost for the fight, then heal up afterwords. But those sorts of abilities make much more powerful players than monsters.

The Demented One
2007-08-15, 11:08 PM
I like the metabolic surge ability, but it seems a bit powerful in combat, considering it only has fast healing 1 and 33 average hp. It's not giving very much up during combat, while it heals very fast outside of combat. It might be more interesting to give it fast healing 3-5, or maybe regeneration, where the surge would stop only the healing part, not the non-lethal from non-whatever sources.
Wait...so you want me to weaken it by making it better? It's a pretty low-level creature, any more fast healing would be a bit over the top.

Peaceful doesn't add up to 'evil', so maybe some alignment issues might be worked out here (such as chaotic neutral or good from the looks of it).
Huh? They're already CN.

EvilElitest
2007-08-16, 01:40 PM
This is a really cool race, i love the concept and hte powers. My only question is what is their culture like?
from,
EE

The Demented One
2007-08-16, 01:51 PM
This is a really cool race, i love the concept and hte powers. My only question is what is their culture like?
You like the fluff, don't you? Well, I'm personally picturing them as sticking to very small villages in the mountains, with most members of the village acting as hunters to feed the rest. Most villages are led by the oldest member (and these guys can get pretty old), in a pretty primitive tribal patria/matriachy. Not many developments in art or culture, although they do have a primitive form of written language. Although most aren't very religious, those that are tend to worship, among the core gods at least, Erythnul, Kord, and Obad-Hai. Others worship Annam, the chief god of the giants, or deities from the Goliath pantheon, as seen in Races of Stone. Anything else you want?

Arakune
2007-08-16, 01:54 PM
Nagol
Metabolic Surge (Ex)
A Nagol can focus and subsume its healing abilities to enhance its physical power. As a swift action, it may temporarily lose its fast healing ability to gain one of the following benefits:

+4 bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constituition (afects total HP).
+8 bonus to natural armor.
Damage reduction 10/–.
Resistance 10 to one energy type.

A Nagol can use its metabolic surge ability for up to a number of rounds equal to 3 plus its Constitution modifier. It can also end it, and regain its fast healing ability, at any time, as an immediate action. Once a Nagol stops using its metabolic surge ability for either reason, it must wait 5 rounds before it can use it again. In addition, when a Nagol is severely wounded, its metabolic surge ability goes into overdrive, becoming even more powerful. As long as a Nagol has less than one-quarter its total hit points when it uses its metabolic surge ability, the metabolic surge ability will have two times the normal bonus. However, the ability only last for 3+Constitution modifier (before aplying any bonus) turns.

I guess now it's more worth to do it. Change it if you want, but maybe you will need to change the LA for this creature.

The Demented One
2007-08-16, 02:11 PM
I guess now it's more worth to do it. Change it if you want, but maybe you will need to change the LA for this creature.
That's a bit stronger than what I had in mind for the creature.

Arakune
2007-08-16, 02:50 PM
That's a bit stronger than what I had in mind for the creature.

that's because i tough they had fast healing 5. you can completly ignore it (as usualy people do).