PDA

View Full Version : Question on Armour Class

dorisfrog
2007-08-14, 03:44 AM
I'm playing a elven wizard in 3e , I have a dex of 17(+3) and cast mage armour(+4) and shield(+7) my Ac would be 24 , flat footed 21 and would my touch attack be 13 or 24 as the spells are force effects ?
cheers
Dorisfrog

Jack Mann
2007-08-14, 03:51 AM
Your touch AC is 13. They're force effects, but they're still armor and shield bonuses.

However, they'll apply against incorporeal attacks. Of course, most incorporeal creatures make touch attacks anyway.

EDIT: Ignore that. I just reread the rules for incorporeal creatures. You'll be good to go against those allips.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-14, 03:52 AM
Force effects do not help against ordinary touch attacks, so your AC would be 13 against those.

(It only helps against incorporeal touch attacks, but they are quite different.)

EDIT: Ninja'ed! But most incorporeal creatures do in fact make incorporeal touch attacks (and not touch attacks), which force effects will protect against.

2nd EDIT: Edit ninja'ed! I see even my edit comment was accounted for.

Matthew
2007-08-15, 02:40 AM
Um, the Shield Spell doesn't grant +7 AC, it grants +4 (like a Tower Shield). Your final AC would be:

10 + 3 [Dexterity] + 4 [Mage Armour] + 4 [Shield] = 21

And, yeah, as the Spells indicate in the descriptions, you would keep their Bonuses against Incorporal Touch Attacks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-15, 02:44 AM
I suspect the OP plays 3.0.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 02:57 AM
Indeed. +7 AC and +3 to Ref saves for a 1st level spell? Yes please!!

Matthew
2007-08-15, 03:00 AM
Right, well then remember that additional +7 only counts against one direction of attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-15, 03:17 AM
I recall my first 3.0 game.

I was playing a wizard all buffed up with Mage Armor and Shield and we were fighting some skeletons with crossbows....

I felt invincible! Unfortunately I had to utter that out loud and was shortly thereafter hit by a bolt and went down for the count. :smallsigh:

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 03:23 AM
Right, well then remember that additional +7 only counts against one direction of attack.

Yep, half of the battlefield. Normally not too much of a problem!

And yes, 21+dex AC for 2 first level spells is pretty good...A good wand for UMD rogues too - harder for traps to get ya!

Matthew
2007-08-15, 03:39 AM
I recall my first 3.0 game.

I was playing a wizard all buffed up with Mage Armor and Shield and we were fighting some skeletons with crossbows....

I felt invincible! Unfortunately I had to utter that out loud and was shortly thereafter hit by a bolt and went down for the count. :smallsigh:

Oh dear. I suspect you are not alone in that experience. I just remember taking one look at Mage Armour and complaining about how it was 'nerfed beyond reason' compared to the mighty Spell of 2e.

Yep, half of the battlefield. Normally not too much of a problem!

Prepare to be flanked!

And yes, 21+dex AC for 2 first level spells is pretty good...A good wand for UMD rogues too - harder for traps to get ya!

Heh, no doubt one of the reasons they nerfed it for 3.5.

Charity
2007-08-15, 05:45 AM
Prepare to be flanked!

Grappled, acidified and dropped from a great height.:smallbiggrin:

Ps. you know that Dorisfrog is Ol btw Ikky?
and what has that Niall fella been saying to piss of the missus?
30 emails of plotting *sigh*

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 05:49 AM
Grappled, acidified and dropped from a great height.:smallbiggrin:

Ps. you know that Dorisfrog is Ol btw Ikky?
and what has that Niall fella been saying to piss of the missus?
30 emails of plotting *sigh*

Lol, a medium dragon ain't doin' that to anyone! It can't snatch as it's not big enough :smalltongue: It can try a normal grapple, but I think there are much more dangerous things it can do to us!

I didn't know dorisfrog was Ol, no. What's with the name Ol?
Niall had a small explosion at some perceived criticisms of previous IC events. I don't know enough to comment on whether they were criticisms or what went on back then or whose fault it was, so I stayed well out of it!
We're well over 50 emails now, arguing talking about the best use of our resources.

Matthew
2007-08-15, 05:50 AM
Arggh, I can't penetrate this code!

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 05:51 AM
Arggh, I can't penetrate this code!

Otehr game conversation bleeing into thread, sorry!

Charity
2007-08-15, 05:58 AM
Sorry Matthew

Ikky and Dorisfrog are playing in the game I run (badly)
They had a run in with a itseybitsy lil dragon and they have become all cagey.

Oh Ol can't make this weekend Ikky, so it's a no go, but if you wanna come over for a boardgames or Wii session you're more than welcome.

Matthew
2007-08-15, 06:01 AM
No problem... Wii, ehy? I hear I have an Avatar doing the rounds on that system...

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 06:09 AM
Ikky and Dorisfrog are playing in the game I run (badly)
They had a run in with a itseybitsy lil dragon and they have become all cagey.

Oh Ol can't make this weekend Ikky, so it's a no go, but if you wanna come over for a boardgames or Wii session you're more than welcome.

Nothing bad about that game except our lack of tactics, and the effectiveness of my 5th level beguiler against a dragon with more than twice my hit dice! Plus Niall's barbarian is basically a coward it seems - he's hesitant to melee a medium dragon. Can't see the problem myself, stops the bloody thing eating/melting the wizard (again!).

Some kind of gaming malarky would be good this friday, yes. Shame Resident Evil 4 is one player :smallamused:

Charity
2007-08-15, 06:20 AM
Yeah sorry about that Ol

Oh btw, here's an off topic, but I know dorisfrog won't mind a bit Q

When you roll a 1 on the reuse of a dragons breath weapon, does it have to wait for a round or can it use it on the next round?

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 06:36 AM
Btw Oli, you go to the midpoint of the lower level XP when resurrected. That nets you 2500xp :smallwink:

EDIT: I asked in the RAW thread and the dragon could breathe in consecutive rounds according to the first guy to answer.

Charity
2007-08-15, 07:10 AM
Cool and cooler

I'm glad we did it right. It's good that Ol hasn't been utterly blasted by his untimely melting.
I'm at lunch at the mo and Ann says she was not criticising anyone, just trying to participate in the tactics discussion, sounds like he went off halfcocked... never mind it'll all blow over.
she is also not fussed about her previous characters demise... I should get her to open her own account and then I wouldn't have to type this out for her.
she wants me to write you've never seen me type.. I don't know why?
I am pretty slow though.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 08:06 AM
I think maybe Niall was feeling the pressure of being the leader/planner guy and snapped a bit, maybe he was having a bad day? Most leaders take it hard when they lose troops :smallwink: Had I been her I'd have found it hard not to have a go back, so kudos for that!

Stupid dragon, making us use tactics.

Charity
2007-08-15, 09:26 AM
Sounds like he's lucky I didn't read those mails :smallmad:

Ann's a bit of a shy one, she's not that good at sticking up for herself.
I on the other hand would go straight for the throat and work out why later :smallbiggrin:

nyuk nyuk I got lotsa dragon to play with.

Sooo off topic
I'm a bad man.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-15, 09:36 AM
Sooo off topic
I'm a bad man.

I am not sure I have ever seen a post where you were on topic. :smalltongue:

Charity
2007-08-15, 09:39 AM
*shuffles through a big stack of old posts*

You might have a point there..
Hang on, I've started threads surely they must have been on topic?

*wanders off confused by his own question*

Ikkitosen
2007-08-15, 09:47 AM
Sounds like he's lucky I didn't read those mails :smallmad:

Ann's a bit of a shy one, she's not that good at sticking up for herself.
I on the other hand would go straight for the throat and work out why later :smallbiggrin:

nyuk nyuk I got lotsa dragon to play with.

Sooo off topic
I'm a bad man.

I must say I'm not slow in defending my friends either. I'm less good with myself, but then that's on my own head. So, suggestions on stopping a dragon? It's in the open, but some way to bring it to ground would be good. Shame we can't just Web it in the face!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-08-15, 09:48 AM
Hang on, I've started threads surely they must have been on topic?

I am convinced you have constructed the thread title so even they might be off topic. :smalltongue:

In any case, and don't tell the mods I said so, keep up the good work. :smallwink:

Charity
2007-08-15, 10:34 AM
I am convinced you have constructed the thread title so even they might be off topic. :smalltongue:

In any case, and don't tell the mods I said so, keep up the good work. :smallwink:

Gah I just got caught up reading old threads I started... i got one locked in three posts *whistles innocently*
Anyhow
Nyuk nyuk Mums the word.

Ikky, you want my suggestions?
I guess ranged damage is the key, it's not really that hard to hit, if you can get old slowboots into his first couple of range increments... hide the wizard maybe.. get a giant fondue set and jump in... OK maybe not the last one.