PDA

View Full Version : OoTS: Dragon Magazine 359

Santanya
2007-08-14, 06:22 PM
I looked but couldn't find a thread about it so Lets have one already!

*shakes fist* Dang you for bringing a tear to my eye Rich!

Thank you too...

theinsulabot
2007-08-14, 06:25 PM
wait....what?

RocketBard
2007-08-14, 07:00 PM

Thank you too...

You couldn't find a thread about what? What's the reason for the name of this thread? There is no dragon in strip #359.

Oberon
2007-08-14, 07:04 PM
I think he means the OOTs comic from dragon magazine, issue #359. Unfortunately, I have seen very few of the Dragon magazine comics. Do you know where I can see them all without having to hunt a bunch of Dragons?
Eidt: Pun not intended, but I'll keep it.

BardicLasher
2007-08-15, 01:06 AM
Was that the one where he talked about the end of Dragon Magazine?

TomGordon
2007-09-02, 01:27 AM

Thank you too...

Yeah, the final issue arrived at my local hobby shop a couple days ago. Subscribers must receive it in the mail much earlier, I venture.

It's hard to talk about them online without dropping spoilers or getting banned, since (for the time being, anyway) the strips are print-only. But yes, Rich's final two contributions to Dragon Magazine were exceedingly clever/sad/hilarious. Especially all those cameos by "TSR", "Hasbro", and other characters who'd graced the magazine's comic pages o'er the decades.

And y'know, I didn't realize the design of the dragon (the one Roy and the OOTS encounters) was taken directly from the cover art of Dragon #1. So as nostalgic 'homages' go, Rich "crude stick figures" Burlew did a far better job than Larry "pro fantasy illustrator" Elmore! Who woulda thunk it?

(Unfortunately, I'll still be returning my copy for a full refund tomorrow -- as the last Dragon did NOT include any power of The Glow.)

*ducks hurled objects*

Solo
2007-09-02, 09:10 AM
What happen?

TomGordon
2007-09-02, 06:44 PM
What happen?

Well, without revealing too much, the OOTS encounters a dragon who asks them for help. This dragon's a clear allegorical stand-in for 'Dragon Magazine', as we soon discover when he's talking about his various owners -- and the uncertain fate the latest (a wizard 'who lives by the shore', and his all-too-familiar vegetable-derived master) intends for him.

Arakune
2007-09-02, 07:13 PM
Well, without revealing too much, the OOTS encounters a dragon who asks them for help. This dragon's a clear allegorical stand-in for 'Dragon Magazine', as we soon discover when he's talking about his various owners -- and the uncertain fate the latest (a wizard 'who lives by the shore', and his all-too-familiar vegetable-derived master) intends for him.

his what?
the wizard are really obvious, but what about the familiar?

Squark
2007-09-02, 07:39 PM
Read the whole post. WoTC is owned by Hasbro- Mr. Potatohead, anyone?

TomGordon
2007-09-02, 09:03 PM
his what?
the wizard are really obvious, but what about the familiar?

Oops, sorry. That's 'familiar' as in 'being well-known'. And if I'd known about them earlier, I probably should've used spoiler tags right from the start. Ah well, better late than never...

Green/purple dragon = Dragon Magazine (from Dragon #1's cover)
Blue-robed wizard = TSR (first company logo)
Red dragon = TSR (second company logo)
Cloaked 'wizard by the shore' = WOTC
Mr. Potato Head = Hasbro Inc.
Purple golem = Paizo Publishing
'A spell that will convert me to electricity' = Dragon Magazine becoming a PDF, or whatever

Unfortunately, I don't know all the other comics characters included in the last Dragon OOTS strip, but the list DOES include Finieous Fingers, Wormy and Phil & Dixie from "What's New?"