PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spirit Guardian Druid Circle based on 3.5 Holt Warden [PEACH]

Llama513
2017-10-02, 01:49 PM
This is the very first draft, I realize that I have the use of abilities as once per day, this is done as I think that they are strong enough to warrant saying once per day and not once per long rest, but I'm not completely set on this since it is out of the norm for 5e.

The link is here: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJlnbxuOb

I'm thinking about adjusting Circle forms to give CR 2 at level 10, and CR 3 at level 20, but allowing them to turn into plant creatures at level 6, what do you guys think

Arkhios
2017-10-03, 01:00 AM
The Moon Circle-esque Circle Forms feels a tad off to me. Unintuitive and has no "spiritual link" feel.

Otherwise, interesting features. I might have to sit back and read them more patiently a few times over, but if you could cut the word count for Whispers of the Forest it wouldn't feel so intimidating to read. A description that is short and concise is often better than a long and convoluted.

I once had an idea about a Spirit Circle which essentially traded Wild Shape uses to alternatively summon an animal spirit, a Spirit Guardian, if you will (ghostly transparent; pseudo-physical entity):
* Doesn't occupy a square
* Can't be attacked by other than force effects and spells, which destroy it immediately.
* Can't take actions other than a reaction (as a familiar), and can only make an opportunity attack if an enemy of yours enters it's square (as a beast identical to it's form)
* Doesn't move on it's own but can be moved its speed as a bonus action
* Counts as an ally for features such as sneak attack.
* Might provide some defensive effect to an ally or a number of allies of yours within 5 feet of it.

Obviously that idea came from 4e Shaman. Feel free to "steal" it as long as you mention where it came from :p

Llama513
2017-10-03, 11:54 AM
The Moon Circle-esque Circle Forms feels a tad off to me. Unintuitive and has no "spiritual link" feel.

Otherwise, interesting features. I might have to sit back and read them more patiently a few times over, but if you could cut the word count for Whispers of the Forest it wouldn't feel so intimidating to read. A description that is short and concise is often better than a long and convoluted.

The Circle Forms is based on something the person I am designing this for is looking for, the explanation being that they are able to draw deeper power from the forest and thus gain different and stronger forms, thus the higher CR's and plants

As for Whispers of the Forest I will look into cutting down the wording once I have time

Llama513
2017-10-13, 02:03 PM
I once had an idea about a Spirit Circle which essentially traded Wild Shape uses to alternatively summon an animal spirit, a Spirit Guardian, if you will (ghostly transparent; pseudo-physical entity):
* Can't be attacked by other than force effects and spells, which destroy it immediately.
* Can't take actions other than a reaction (as a familiar), and can only make an opportunity attack if an enemy of yours enters it's square (as a beast identical to it's form)
* Might provide some defensive effect to an ally or a number of allies of yours within 5 feet of it.

Obviously that idea came from 4e Shaman. Feel free to "steal" it as long as you mention where it came from :p

I really like this feature, I will check with the person I am designing for on their thoughts, if they don't want it I will probably use it in a druid archetype at some point, as I really love the idea behind this feature

Llama513
2017-10-14, 02:03 PM

I changed Guradian forms to no longer include plant forms, but instead allow you to turn into a Spirit Beast at level 10, the spirit beast has resistance to non-magical bludgeoning,piercing, and slashing attacks, and has incorporeal movement like a ghost, grants allies within 5 feet of you immunity to fear and charm effects and temporary hit points equal to your wisdom modifier at the end of your turn, it costs two uses of wildshape and you can't turn into as powerful of a beast, max CR minus 1,

Arkhios
2017-10-15, 03:14 AM
I changed Guradian forms to no longer include plant forms, but instead allow you to turn into a Spirit Beast at level 10, the spirit beast has resistance to non-magical bludgeoning,piercing, and slashing attacks, and has incorporeal movement like a ghost, grants allies within 5 feet of you immunity to fear and charm effects and temporary hit points equal to your wisdom modifier at the end of your turn, it costs two uses of wildshape and you can't turn into as powerful of a beast, max CR minus 1,

Ok, I did look at it yesterday and honestly it's not bad way to do it. The wording might again need some work though (plus there are a LOT of typos in there; no offense).

Llama513
2017-10-15, 12:01 PM
Ok, I did look at it yesterday and honestly it's not bad way to do it. The wording might again need some work though (plus there are a LOT of typos in there; no offense).

I'll take a look at the wording, and am going to go through and fix typos when I've got time