PDA

View Full Version : Mithril Weapons

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 07:21 PM
Alternate rules for weapons made out of mirthril I just whipped up. What do you think? The prices were just sort of guessed. The light weapon damage bonus is sort of a step towards Dex to damage, but only by +1. If they have equal Strength and Dexterity, no bonus.

Mithril Weapons:
Light: 500 gp; Weapon gains a +1 bonus to damage when Finessed. This bonus only applies if the wielder's Dexterity bonus is at least one higher than his or her Strength bonus.
One-Handed: 2,000 gp; Weapon may be Finessed.
Two-Handed: 5,000 gp; Weapon may be Finessed.

StickMan
2007-08-14, 07:32 PM
Alternate rules for weapons made out of mirthril I just whipped up. What do you think? The prices were just sort of guessed. The light weapon damage bonus is sort of a step towards Dex to damage, but only by +1. If they have equal Strength and Dexterity, no bonus.

Mithril Weapons:
Light: 500 gp; Weapon gains a +1 bonus to damage when Finessed. This bonus only applies if the wielder's Dexterity bonus is at least one higher than his or her Strength bonus.
One-Handed: 2,000 gp; Weapon may be Finessed.
Two-Handed: 5,000 gp; Weapon may be Finessed.

See I think the issue here is that your still going to have metal weapons that are lighter than a Mithril weapon, so why would you not be able to do the same thing with the lightest weapon. The thing is how much a weapon weighs has no effect on if it can use the finesse feat, it has to do with how you fight with the weapon. Some weapons you bash with that is just how they work.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 07:39 PM
True, but I've always thought a mithril weapon would be cool, but utterly pointless for its cost.

How about this then? Treat the weapon as a type lower, just like armor. One-handed becomes light, two-handed becomes one-handed, and light gets the damage bonus, because its easer to whip around, but not too tiny to actually use.

Obviously then, a mithril two-handed weapon will have to cost quite a bit, as a one-handed greatsword would be rather powerful.

Thoughts?

jindra34
2007-08-14, 07:41 PM
True, but I've always thought a mithril weapon would be cool, but utterly pointless for its cost.

How about this then? Treat the weapon as a type lower, just like armor. One-handed becomes light, two-handed becomes one-handed, and light gets the damage bonus, because its easer to whip around, but not too tiny to actually use.

Obviously then, a mithril two-handed weapon will have to cost quite a bit, as a one-handed greatsword would be rather powerful.

Thoughts?
That is too powerful... in my opinion.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 07:44 PM
It was my original idea, but I had the same reaction. So I decided adding your Dex bonus to an attack with a Greatsword wouldn't be too bad, and it'd be cool.

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-14, 07:46 PM
If you want to finesse a greatsword, then change the actual fluff of a mithril weapon. Make them light, but balanced. Much more easily balanced than a steel weapon. So that even a two-handed weapon can be finessed.

Goober4473
2007-08-14, 07:54 PM
Exactly. It doesn't just make them less hevay, it makes them balanced to be finessed.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-16, 12:41 AM
How about making them one category smaller, but they still require the same amount of hands to use.

I mean, a spear; no matter how light, is still unwieldly with one hand.

So therefore, a mythril longsword becomes a light weapon, and you're dual-wielding penalties count as less.

But they're still the same size, so you can't use them while grappling.

So then they become useless for anyone who isn't a dual-wielder... :-P

Goober4473
2007-08-16, 12:55 AM
Well, they could be finessed as well. But what about two-handed weapons? They'd be treated as one-handed for what, exactly?

AjaxTorbin
2007-08-17, 01:11 AM
in ten+ years of gaming ive seen this issue many times.
ive seen all teh options presented here and so far the best one, the one that i use is the first one presented, you may use weapon finisse with them.

and to say that the weight of a weapon has no berring on its use, that shows you haven't (no insult intended) handled real weapons before. even the strongest man will tire after swinging a war ax after a few times, why do you think all those vikings were so well built? if a weapon is lighter you can spend more time worring about where to put it, rather than just hanging on to it. (allthough i'v always liked teh norse Bersėrkr 'just writhe-untill-you-hit-somthing' style)

Yeril
2007-08-17, 05:53 AM
I quite like this idea, Weapons can be finessed and if they already can be finessed they get +1 to damage.

Cause I love mithral weaponry but for 500gp/Lb and all it does is halve the wieght (usless in most cases because if you can afford 1000-3000gp on mithral you might as well get a bag of holding) and +5 hardness (which you might aswell make it adamantine which is cheaper for +10 hardness and the ability to overcome other hardness)