PDA

View Full Version : Anyone that have actually played one of these?

Spacehamster
2017-10-04, 07:53 AM
2 paladin / 18 moon Druid, sounds fun as hell to be a smiting bear or a house cat lol, best achieved with a normal human with stats after racial: 14/14/12/9/16/14, take mariner to get better ac, spend two ASI to max casting stat, 1 to up DEX a bit for better AC out of animal form and then one for any feat you want or maybe 14 CON?

Azgeroth
2017-10-04, 08:11 AM
why not just go 20 druid, and take magic initiate for smite?

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-04, 08:14 AM

What part of magic initiate would allow you to use the Paladin's Divine Smite ability?

Still, if you're going to fight in beast form most of the time, you can dump Dex, and keep Str at 13 for the multi-class. Sure, having Dex a bit higher can help when you're not in beast form, but that's not how you're going to be fighting most of the time.

Everstar
2017-10-04, 08:15 AM

He is referring to the Paladin smite ability, not smite spells.

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 08:15 AM

Divine Smite is a class ability, not a spell. Magic Initiate won't work for that.

EDIT: dang, shadowmonked

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 08:20 AM
2 paladin / 18 moon Druid, sounds fun as hell to be a smiting bear or a house cat lol, best achieved with a normal human with stats after racial: 14/14/12/9/16/14, take mariner to get better ac, spend two ASI to max casting stat, 1 to up DEX a bit for better AC out of animal form and then one for any feat you want or maybe 14 CON?

I guess it depends on your play style. It is certainly a viable build to get animal forms for melee ability and utility and also be able to smite in them. If you DM will let you use metal armor (it's an argument, just check with your DM about it), then you don't need a high AC. Drop that down to 8 and wear heavy armor and use a shield. So, your AC will be amazing outside of animal form. Mariner will help your AC in animal form, and you can smite to your heart content while also being a dinosaur.

What's not to like?

Xetheral
2017-10-04, 08:36 AM

A player of mine once went Moon Druid/Paladin, but not at level 20. She also took Sentinel, since she was a mount for a Fighter/Rogue with Mounted Combat. The combo worked well, but only because I was somewhat lax about turn order when it came to the pair, and let them act together on the lower of their initiatice counts. Divine Smite represented a ton of the mount's damage output.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-04, 08:37 AM
I guess it depends on your play style. It is certainly a viable build to get animal forms for melee ability and utility and also be able to smite in them. If you DM will let you use metal armor (it's an argument, just check with your DM about it), then you don't need a high AC. Drop that down to 8 and wear heavy armor and use a shield. So, your AC will be amazing outside of animal form. Mariner will help your AC in animal form, and you can smite to your heart content while also being a dinosaur.

What's not to like?

If you are worried about out of form AC, a Tortle solves that problem quite well. That would make something like Paladin 6/Druid x very viable. If you go land druid, grassland gives haste...

The main problem with any moon druid build multiclass, is the base moon druid already has levels where it feels like you are a bit weak, multi-classing a couple levels extends those significantly. I'd imagine the paladin 2/moon x is very strong when it works, but feels very weak at points. At level 7 say, you're really better off just casting spells than wading into a fight as a brown bear. I'd consider what point your campaign expects to go to before committing to the build. It would suck to get through the weak levels, for the game to end...

nickl_2000
2017-10-04, 08:41 AM
If you are worried about out of form AC, a Tortle solves that problem quite well. SNIP

Again, another argument point. If you are playing a Moon Druid for any amount of levels, get to know your DM and ask them a lot of things.

The other points are certainly viable ones though and worth considering if you want to do this build.

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-04, 08:43 AM
A lizardman paladin/druid that turns into even larger reptiles would be a fun concept, and would also help to solve the AC problem.

MagneticKitty
2017-10-04, 01:26 PM

What's not to like?

Druids can not wear metal armor. You might check if you can have heavy armor custom made out of bone or something else.

Spacehamster
2017-10-04, 03:31 PM
Druids can not wear metal armor. You might check if you can have heavy armor custom made out of bone or something else.

Druid with a dragonbone full plate would be baller!

8wGremlin
2017-10-04, 03:34 PM
SCAG - Spiked armour

Spiked armor is a rare type of medium armor made by dwarves. It consists of a leather coat and leggings covered with spikes that are usually made of metal.

Cost: 75 gp
AC: 14 + Dexterity modifier (max 2)
Stealth: Disadvantage
Weight: 45 lb.

Tanarii
2017-10-04, 03:43 PM
I feel like I fell for clickbait. :smallamused:

Chugger
2017-10-05, 12:54 AM
I feel like I fell for clickbait. :smallamused:

Was your experience "jaw dropping"? Did you "break the Internet"? Did "she not know why the photographers were continuing to take picture?"

Chugger
2017-10-05, 01:38 AM
If I were actually able to play a char to lvl 20 - and it was mostly druid - but I didn't get that infinite wildshape thing - I'd be sad. But DS'ing wild-shaped would be pretty amazing.

Malifice
2017-10-05, 01:38 AM

Have one in the party I DM.

Paladin 2/ Moon Druid 16 at present.

3 year campaign.

Works a treat.