PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wizard tradition with a warlock theme [PEACH]

Gulian
2017-10-04, 09:57 AM
]So me and my buddy made this tradition. We're not entirely sure how balanced it is and thought it would be prudent to run this by you guys. Opinions, praise, criticism and especially suggestions are appreciated. I'd like to point out that suggestions made out of a purely mechanical standpoint which disregard the general fluff we went for here would be better off left unstated.

Thank you!

P.S. Accidentally posted this in the DnD 5e forum earlier. Sorry. >_<

-----------------------------------------------------

Scholar of Forbidden Knowledge

Instead of devoting your time to the study of traditional magical practices, you have decided to walk the path of insanity, attempting to peer in the deepest and darkest depths of reality in search of its secrets. Perhaps unsurprisingly, you have found something in those depths that is equally interested in you and willing to grant you the answers you desire, but at a cost.

Grimoire of Secrets

Beginning at 2nd level, you may summon an old, leather bound tome which seems to hold more pages than physically possible, despite it’s hefty size. When you gain this feature, choose three Cantrips, two normal spells and two spells with the ritual tag from any class’s spell list (the spells needn’t be from the same list). While the book is on your person, you can cast those Cantrips at will, while the rest of the spells can only be cast as 10 or more minute rituals even if they do not have the ritual tag, except they will expend the corresponding spell slot unless they have the spell in question is tagged as a ritual. They don’t count against your number of spells and cantrips known. All spells acquired in such a manner use Intelligence as their casting stat. If you had a spellbook, all spells from it are transcribed into the Grimoire and the book is replaced by it.

Every level henceforth you may trade one of your spells-to-be-learned from the wizard list in favor of any spell of the appropriate spell level from any spell list you desire. Spells learned in this manner are subject to the same ritual casting rules as the other ones, even if they are not marked with the ritual tag. Any spell from another list with the ritual tag can be learned by the Scholar independently, as if learning wizard spells, subject to all the rules of learning and scribing a spell as per wizard.

If you lose your Grimoire, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your patron. This ceremony can be performed during a short or Long Rest, and it destroys the previous book. The book turns to ash when you die.

Horrid Revelation

At 2nd level, the Scholar can occasionally focus his mind and peer through the veil of reality, temporarily opening for himself truths that are beyond his mortal capacity for understanding. For the duration of the encounter, the Scholar may cast spells he knows from other lists as normal, without requiring a 10 or more minute ritual, however he gains disadvantage on all wisdom rolls until his next short rest and is unable to peer beyond the veil again until he has calmed his troubled psyche.

Dark Pact

Starting at 6th level, the Scholar may make a dark pact during a short rest, by sacrificing some of his own essence to his alien deity and in return receiving greater magical power. By lowering his maximum hit points by one per character level, he may recover twice the amount of spell levels by Arcane Recovery. The following day, the Scholar will not recover any of his healing dice due to the residual effects of this pact. In addition, the Scholar begins to accrue favor with his deity and with such favor come gifts, as such your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.

Awakened Mind

Beginning at 10th level, your thoughts can't be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.

Strange Enlightenment

Starting at 14th level, your knowledge of the beyond is so great, that the alien gods lurking beyond conventional reality have acknowledged you. You may not be one of their chosen, but you nonetheless bear some of their blessings upon you, in addition to ridding yourself of unnecessary fear and the limitations of the mortal mind. You gain 2 invocations of your choice, for the purpose of which you are considered a tome pact warlock of you wizard level. In addition, you are immune to all effects that would grant you disadvantage to wisdom rolls, essentially allowing you to use Horrid Revelation at your leisure without any repercussions.

JNAProductions
2017-10-04, 11:03 AM
This seems kinda OP. It allows you to learn any spell. Any spell.

Now, the 10 minute ritual thing is fine, a good counterbalance. Until level 14, where you can do it at-will. (In addition, once you use Horrid Revelation once, you might as well use it for EVERY encounter until you rest.)

In addition, minor note-Awakened Mind. Does it deal damage equal to the damage you took, or would've taken, had you not had resistance?

Ignimortis
2017-10-04, 12:01 PM
This seems kinda OP. It allows you to learn any spell. Any spell.

Now, the 10 minute ritual thing is fine, a good counterbalance. Until level 14, where you can do it at-will. (In addition, once you use Horrid Revelation once, you might as well use it for EVERY encounter until you rest.)

In addition, minor note-Awakened Mind. Does it deal damage equal to the damage you took, or would've taken, had you not had resistance?

I suppose that this part
is unable to peer beyond the veil again until he has calmed his troubled psyche. is supposed to say that it's basically a 1/long rest ability.

Awakened Mind is a GOO warlock feature, so it should work the same way as it does on warlocks - probably the same amount of damage you actually took, not what you would've taken.

Gulian
2017-10-04, 12:02 PM
Also no, Horrid Revelation prevents you from using it again. It's kind of ambiguously written, sorry about that, went with the fluff. Essentially, while you have any disadvantage to wisdom rolls you are incapable of using Horrid Revelation, until level 14 where you can do it naturally.

Also, I understand, any spell. But Bard can do that too at his 6th level, and that class has a lot more going for it than just spellcasting. Considering this isn't the only "class" that steals spells from other lists, is that really so OP? Also, warlock has an ability which allows him to learn any ritual spell he desires as an invocation which he can take as soon as level 2, so this class feature is mostly taken out of warlock and given other things.

Edit: So Horrid Revelation is a once per short rest ability. I initially intended to add that this disadvantage can not be cured by any other means except taking a short rest, but it seems I forgot about it. So yes, you have a class that can learn a limited number of spells from other class lists and an unlimited number of ritual spells (nothing warlock can't do from level 2), however he can only utilize these spells in combat by giving himself a disadvantage on wisdom rolls and effectively only once per short rest and even then only for one encounter. At level 14 of course that becomes a non-issue.

JNAProductions
2017-10-04, 01:42 PM
The thing is, Bards get 4 (6, for Lore) spells from other lists. You can get 20 or more.

And yes, Bard is powerful. And Magical Secrets is ONE OF ITS BEST ABILITIES.

No, I would not allow this as-is at a table.

Gulian
2017-10-04, 04:20 PM
Despite the fact that to use these spells, the wizard has to prepare them in his spellbook, sacrificing normal wizard spells that don't need you to take a disadvantage to wisdom rolls just to cast them in combat or not take 10 minutes doing so? And then after having done so, they become useless wastes of space, which could have been used to prepare actual useful spells? Honestly, the bards feature is more powerful, because unlike the wizard, the bard can use those 4 or 6 spells at any time he chooses, while the wizard has to prepare the exact ones he wants to cast in one of his Int + Wizard level slots and then make use of them only once per short rest. While in a dungeon or a dangerous place, you might simply never get a chance to short rest, leaving you with less spell variety than a regular wizard.

I mean, I suppose I get where you're coming from, but considering the limitations placed upon this feature, it doesn't seem as strong as you're making it out to be. Though, as mentioned in the first post, perhaps you have an actual suggestion as to what you would like to see changed and how as well as a more detailed explanation on why you think this is overpowered? So far it's been a bit lackluster. If this feature was on a bard, it would be insane. But it's not on a bard and as such has limitations. I think it'd be warrant a little more consideration than a simple handwave.

JNAProductions
2017-10-04, 04:26 PM
You're ignoring the level 14 feature where they become at-will. If it was JUST Grimoire and Horrid Revelations, I wouldn't have an issue, or at least would have less of one. (It's still damn good.) But at level 14, there's no longer any limitations.

Gulian
2017-10-04, 05:00 PM
Ah, so that's the issue. I was honestly under the impression that characters get sufficiently powerful at level 14 that it stops mattering if the wizard has access to more spells or that games rarely last over 10 levels. Hm, alright, I see. How would you suggest changing this ability so that the fluff could be maintained? Perhaps just allow the use of Horrid Revelations more than one time per short rest or something?