PDA

View Full Version : Copycat Killer [Creature]

Zeta Kai
2007-08-15, 08:05 AM
Copycat Killer ( http://www.scifijapan.com/Ep/24mimic_elsie1.jpg)
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (1HP)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30’ (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+5 Dex, +2 natural); touch 15; flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3+1)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +5 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5’/5’
Special Attacks: N/A
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, Memorize Maneuver
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 20 (+5), Con 14 (+2), Int 15 (+2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 7 (-2)
Skills: Bluff +1, Disguise +5, Hide +7, Knowledge (Local) +4, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Listen +2, Move Silently +8, Sense Motive +2, Spot +2
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm
Environment: any land
Organization: solitary, pair, doppel (3-5) or ganger (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: standard
Alignment: usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +3

This bizarre creature is revealed to vaguely resemble a human female. Its lumpy blue skin bulges in odd places. Its misshapen limbs attach to the body at abnormal joints. Its inhuman eyes are a gleaming pupil-less yellow. Strangest of all, however, is the thing’s second head, which looks like a small deformed copy of its primary head.

The Copycat Killers, as they are known to most people (if they are known at all), are often mistaken for doppelgangers. This is understandable, as the two races seem to be related in some way, although exactly how is no small mystery. Like the doppelganger, a Copycat Killer seeks to emulate a target, often killer them shortly thereafter. Unlike the doppelganger, however, these aberrations cannot disguise themselves, & have no desire to usurp the identities of their victims.

Known amongst themselves as the N’f’rathoi (singular N’f’rath), Copycat Killers are a warped, twisted race, created by a long-dead evil god for purposes both dark & unknown. Adept at neutralizing an opponent’s advantages, they enjoy testing their skills against new adversaries, trying to beat combatants at their own game as much as possible. They are almost always female; male Copycat Killers do exist, & are just as hideous & mysterious as their counterparts, but they are exceedingly rare, & females outnumber them over 100 to 1.

A Copycat Killer is about 5˝’ tall & weighs about 90 pounds. They speak Common, but often use other languages among their own kind, such as Auran or Terran.

Combat
Unlike the doppelgangers, who tend to avoid combat unless it is absolutely necessary, Copycat Killers prefer to engage their targets directly. They usually observe their prey while hidden, so as to gather as much combat data as they can. Then they will strike, often taking the victim by surprise. They hate to waste learned maneuvers, so they will enter the fray as soon as possible, using any memorized maneuvers that will be forgotten quickly, such as spells & spell-like abilities, first.

• Memorize Maneuver (Su): a Copycat Killer can, as a standard action, copy any attack or special ability that it has seen in the last 3 rounds, provided that it has the capability to do so; it can then use those maneuvers a certain number of times before they are forgotten, as detailed in the chart below; a Killer cannot perform attacks using natural or manufacted weapons it does not possess; the Killer can store a number of maneuvers equal to its Intelligence modifier; it can only store maneuvers for a certain amount of time, as detailed in the chart below; used or lost maneuvers are magically erased from their memory, so that they lose the recollection of how to perform the maneuver, & only the vague memory of performing the maneuver remains

Ability/Feature|Replay|Store
Weapon (natur. or manuf.)|10 uses|24 hours
Feat|5 uses|4 hours
Extraordinary Ability|4 uses|1 hour
Supernatural Ability|3 uses|10 minutes
Spell-like Ability|2 uses|2 minutes
Spell|1 use|5 rounds

Copycat Killers as Characters
Copycat Killer characters possess the following racial traits:

• +4 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
• Medium Size
• Space/Reach: 5’/5’
• a Copycat Killer’s base land speed is 30’ (6 squares)
• Darkvision 60’
• Racial Hit Dice: a Copycat Killer begins with 6 levels of aberration, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, & base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +2, and Will +5
• Racial Skills: a Copycat Killer’s aberration levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier); its class skills are Bluff, Disguise, Hide, Knowledge (any, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot; they also have a +4 racial bonus on Disguise checks
• Racial Feats: a Copycat Killer’s aberration levels give it 3 feats
• +2 natural armor bonus
• Special Attacks: N/A
• Special Qualities (see above): Memorize Maneuver
• Weapon & Armor Proficiency: a Copycat Killer is automatically proficient with its natural weapons, as well as all simple weapons
• Automatic Languages: Common
• Bonus Languages: Auran, Elven, Orc, Giant, Halfling, Kobold, Terran
• Favored Class: Rogue
• Level Adjustment: +3

Zeta Kai
2007-08-17, 05:07 AM
*ahem* Bump. :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2007-08-30, 10:58 PM
Seriously? Nobody? Hello?

Sir Conkey
2007-08-30, 11:40 PM
Looks good, I have nothing to critic except I was kinda wondering how they are like doppelgangers? Is it just the looks or did I miss something entirely, I like the idea, very nifty idea though, I like it

DracoDei
2007-08-31, 02:04 AM
Overall I like it...

You contradicted yourself about how long they retain things they have seen... the paragraph says 3 rounds, the other table goes from 5 rounds to 24 hours depending on type... and I shudder to think of one of these things teamed up with a spell-casting baddy... Theoretically this thing can multiply a Pit Fiend's Wish...

One problem is that, especially for stuff measured in hours a group of them can just keep re-demonstrating the manuvars etc to eachother and so keep them around AT LEAST until they sleep, and with weapons taken from victems can quite reasonably keep this up forever... this might be seen as reasonable for some things... might consider higher move silently and hide bonuses... and I am not sure how Knowledge(Nature) works in to the concept...

Zeta Kai
2007-08-31, 05:04 AM
You contradicted yourself...

There is no contradiction, only a little confusion perhaps. They can "copy any attack or special ability that it has seen in the last 3 rounds", & then remember that ability for 30 seconds to 24 hours, depending on ability type.

As for the rest of your post, you make a good point. I will make edits in the near future.