PDA

View Full Version : Half-Orc Barb/Fighter Template Critique

TheTalespinner
2017-10-07, 10:30 PM
Hey all, this forum has always been a wealth of information for me so I finally decided to register and become a part of it. I've recently been tossing around a couple of ideas for a DPS-oriented melee character that also appeals to my RP preferences, and I was hoping to get a bit of constructive criticism on it. I definitely consider myself a rookie and am pretty inexperienced when it comes to the finer mechanics of D&D, so any advice or pointers anyone has is more than welcome.

Assuming my party already has a dedicated tank, here is a rough idea of the DPS template I was thinking of.

----------

Half-Orc Barbarian (Path of the Berzerker)/Fighter (Champion)

Barbarian Levels - 4
Fighter Levels - 16

Chaotic Neutral
Outlander Background

Stats at level 20 w/ Point Buy system: 20/16/16/8/8/8
5 Feats and 2 Ability Score Improvements at level 20

Feats:
Great Weapon Master
Lucky
Sentinel
Mage Slayer
Tough

Fighting Styles:
Great Weapon Fighting
Protection

Armor: Most likely Breastplate for the AC and no disadvantage on stealth.
Weapon: Most likely Great Axe for the additional d12 from Savage Attacks, and for RP continuity.

Based on averages, the final HP comes to 229 at level 20 and the final AC comes to 20 with a +3 Breastplate.

The idea behind the character isn't very complex; hit often and crit often. Champion gives the crit range of 18-20 with three attacks per turn, and Frenzy Rage allows for the bonus action to be a 4th attack with a single Action Surge in the wing. Mage Slayer and Sentinal give two possible reaction attacks, in addition to other mechanical benefits (0 movement speed, or disadvantage on concentration checks). The intention is to get in and start swinging, and fall back on the 20 AC and 229 HP to survive long enough to let those nasty crits stack up.

---------------

Thoughts?

djreynolds
2017-10-08, 12:34 AM
I like the build but I think the level spread.... you should at least look into.

17/3, still get totem stuff but another use of action surge possibly better than tough

18/2, still get rage and reckless attack, but totem rage like bear, but you get survivor

You will take resilient wisdom, because as a DM I will chase you around. Fear and charm at high levels will take you out of the fight. Now you have +7 wisdom saves at 20th along with lucky, mage slayer (dependent) and indomitable

I played at 20th level bear totem with a 14 wisdom and resilient wisdom, +8 save but vs Grazzt, that meant I needed a 15 to make the save.... I was groveling to his lair action a lot

I would dump tough, you don't need it

So GWM is fine

Leave dex at 14, in half-plate its good enough, AC17 or breast plate AC16

Lucky is good as is mage slayer

14/14/15/8/12/8

16/14/16/8/12/8

GWM
lucky
mage slayer
resilient wisdom
strength
strength

This is my spread if you the 17/3 spread or 18/2 as you lose a feat, but 2 action surges are sweet to have and survivor is awesome

And take great weapon style and defensive style

TheTalespinner
2017-10-08, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the response dj!

I see where I made a bit of a mistake. I had it in my head that the Berserker's path Rage gave immunity to Charm and Fright, but I forgot that was at 6th level with Mindless Rage. My bad on that one, and definitely a good point to bring up. I suppose I'd be pretty vulnerable to those control-type spells with such a low Wis saving throw, and then I could become a massive liability to my own party throwing a ton of damage back at them.

As for the Bear totem idea, I'm totally on board for that, but it would be a different character focus IMHO. I would absolutely opt for the Bear-spec if I was being tagged as the party's primary or secondary tank, but this template was taking into account the possibility that the tank role was filled for all intents and purposes. I was just trying to see how much sustainable DPS I could squeeze in there, but I did overlook the vulnerability to mind altering status effects.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any pointers or guidance, I'm still all ears.

djreynolds
2017-10-08, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the response dj!

I see where I made a bit of a mistake. I had it in my head that the Berserker's path Rage gave immunity to Charm and Fright, but I forgot that was at 6th level with Mindless Rage. My bad on that one, and definitely a good point to bring up. I suppose I'd be pretty vulnerable to those control-type spells with such a low Wis saving throw, and then I could become a massive liability to my own party throwing a ton of damage back at them.

As for the Bear totem idea, I'm totally on board for that, but it would be a different character focus IMHO. I would absolutely opt for the Bear-spec if I was being tagged as the party's primary or secondary tank, but this template was taking into account the possibility that the tank role was filled for all intents and purposes. I was just trying to see how much sustainable DPS I could squeeze in there, but I did overlook the vulnerability to mind altering status effects.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any pointers or guidance, I'm still all ears.

Bear is a good totem to keep you upright, because its only psychic damage... everything else is half.

I find medium armor is good enough and unless your are grabbing MAM (not advised) you don't need a 16 in dex, and bear totem will half all that damage from fireballs and stuff

IMO, you just need to see if you think tough is worth it over another action surge

And if bear totem damage resistance is better than a champion 18th level survivor, both are boons.

I really like mage slayer and any being casting something is fair game and advantage on saves is sweet

Berserker is nice, but with advantage and GWM and crit range of 18-20.... you should be all right

Good luck to you, awesome build.