PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Applied Storage (Bags of Holding are so Last Edition)

Almarck
2017-10-08, 06:34 AM
APPLIED STORAGE
Bags of holding are ubiquitous amongst the adventuring community for their ability to make storage of loot and almost a trivial exercise. However, these days, particularly in sci-fi settings, perhaps something more is needed, something.

Your typical bag is a cloth sack or satchel, one with only one way in and one way out. It is simple, easy to learn, but unlike plenty of other essential magic gear often lacks much in the way of customization, or growth aside from adding just larger numbers in a bigger bag.

An Applied Storage inventory system is a computing based digitized storage system designed to be configured and networked.

Notable features include:
-Configurable and expandable storage space. Featuring options to allow storage of items, fluids, and if possible terrain and vehicles (up to a certain size).
-Group based item storage. Effectively, the ability to form a shared group inventory system that anyone can access at any time (provided wireless range is close enough). This optional.

STORAGE AND WITHDRAWAL

The fundamental process of using an Applied Storage system for items is easy and intuitive and follows simple procedure.

On any applied storage device with an interface, storing or withdrawing something is a standard action. If there is available room anywhere in the Network when storing, the item dissolves and is converted into formless and weightless data and is stored once placed into the interface screen. When withdrawing, simply reach into the screen and pull the item out, during which it will reform.

Liquids cannot be stored in solid storage directly, though can be placed in bottles or containers to be placed into solid storage. For direct fluid storage, use liquid storage modules.
Fluids may be output into a container, up to 1 gallon at a time from any valid interface. Fluids are either "poured" out of the interface, or if a container is available, simply inserting the container will cause it to be filled with the appropriate item.

Also, note that technically solid objects that act like liquids in terms of being a mas of particulate matter, such as sand are treated as though each and every individual grain or particle is a single object. Use fluid storage instead to store them as while they are solid, it is impractical to store them as a solid.

There is a size limit to what can be stored in solid storage. Extremely large objects of Large size or greater and specific terrain features require a spatial storage. Things in Spatial Storage cannot be output directly through an interface- unload a spatial storage item to use it. Using Spatial Storage is a full-round action.

NETWORKS

Networks are a combination of devices that grow and are capable of expanding based on having multiple devices attached together to form a cohesive web of interconnected devices to gain ever more functions.

All Network devices are objects of small size and are assumed to be made out of iron or steel.

A proper Network is quite vulnerable and hard to transport. As a result, it might be a good idea to transport a Network properly.

Networks devices cannot function inside special extradimensional spaces.

Network Controller
Any Network that possesses more than a single Storage Unit must possess a Controller to link them together. This is also essential to building proper and secure networks, as the Controller has a both data cables and wireless ability.

A Controller possesses an interface that allows anyone correct security clearance (either by passcode or some other form of identification) to access all the inventory of all connected Network devices.

More advanced controllers may attach more devices into the network and have longer range for attaching Network devices wirelessly. The Controller doesn’t count itself or portable devices for the purposes of connection.

Item
Devices Connected
Network Range
Weight
Cost (in gold)

Network Controller, Basic
10 feet
15 lbs
500 gp

Network Controller, Standard
30 feet
15 lbs
2,000 gp

Network Controller, Advanced
100 feet
30 lbs
4,000 gp

Network Controller, Elite
200 feet
15 lbs
8,000 gp

Storage Unit
The humble storage Unit is a large box the size of a desktop computer full of hardware including an interface and energy cells, it is able to act as an independent of a Network, though unable to connect to other Network devices without a Network Controller.

It posses a single slot to hold any solid or fluid storage modules and has an interface to allow the storage or withdrawal of items and fluids from the specific module inserted into the Storage Unit; it cannot interact with storage modules in or out of the network. If required, it can auto output all (or specific) of contents at a rate or either 1 item or 1 gallon per round, for solids and fluids respectively.

Item
Weight
Cost (in gold)

Storage Unit
10 lbs
500 gp

Storage Array
10 lbs
6,000 gp

Storage Array
About the same size, but much more complicated than the simple storage unit, the Storage Array lacks any form of interface on itself directly and must be accessed through other means, such as a Network controller Instead, it has a mounting through which multiple storage modules of any type may be inserted into to be added as part of the Network’s resources. Arrays can hold up to 8 storage modules.

Network Spatial Deployer
This Network device possess the unique ability of storing or deploying either an area or a vehicle of a predetermined space into or out of a spatial storage module that is located within the Network. The main uses of this device is to act as an expanded garage for storing extra vehicles or perform quick and easy room swapping. Please remember to define the deployment area.

As a safety feature, this device will not activate if there are items or entities that would significantly affect collision where it is set to activate, nor will it activate if the terrain is not able to support it (or if there is no terrain at all)

Furthermore, creatures or entities that are in an area or vehicle as it gets stored are trapped within the Spatial Storage Cartridge are remain alive and conscious.

One trick that is possible with a spatial deployer is to store a bigger network and then undeploy it for later use in a short amount of time.

Item
Weight
Cost (in gold)

Network Spatial Deployer
20 lbs
4,000 gp

PORTABLE

Portable storage devices are unique for their ability to be easily carried. Portable devices are generally independent of a network, but can be modified and upgraded to connect to a network and receive new functionalities especially in the form of Portable specific modules and gadgets.

Personal Access Terminal
Personal Access Terminals (PATs) are the foundation through which Portable storage systems works. A PAT comes with its own interface to allow the transfer of items as well as a number of slots for modules, either storage modules or allow device interface.

Spatial storage modules cannot be used with a PAT, but PAT’s gain access to unique modules specific to them.

Higher level PATs possess more slots for modules capable of holding more storage or adding unique features

Item
Modules
Weight
Cost (in gold)

PAT v1
3 lbs
1,000 gp

PAT v2
3 lbs
2,500 gp

PAT v3
3 lbs
6,000 gp

PAT v4
3 lbs
10,000 gp

Wireless Receiver Module
The PAT may now receive wireless signals to and from a specific Network Controller from within 100 feet of it. This means that the PAT is now considered part of the Controller’s Network and can withdraw or store items between each other. Does not stack with other receiver modules.

Long Range Wireless Receiver Module
The PAT may now receive wireless signals to and from a specific Network Controller from within 1 mile of it. This means that the PAT is now considered part of the Controller’s Network and can withdraw or store items between each other. Does not stack with other receiver modules.

Infinity Wireless Receiver Module
The PAT may now receive wireless signals to and from a specific Network Controller from anywhere within the same plane of existence as it. This means that the PAT is now considered part of the Controller’s Network and can withdraw or store items between each other. Does not stack with other receiver modules.

Transcendance Wireless Receiver Module
The PAT may now receive wireless signals to and from a specific Network Controller from anywhere. Period. This means that the PAT is now considered part of the Controller’s Network and can withdraw or store items between each other. Does not stack with other receiver modules.

Accelerated Storage Module
The PAT’s user may store and withdraw items and fluids as a move action as well as use standard actions also for storage.

Weapons Locker Module
Weapons and ammunition in storage may be quickdrawn without needing to reach into the storage interface. Additionally, any items that the device owner drops unless used for an attack are placed back into the Network (if able) when it leaves the owners hands.

Ranged Deployer Module
The PAT may now deploy the contents in any connected storage module up to 30 feet away from the user. These items drop safely on the ground.

Item
Weight
Cost (in gold)

Wireless Receiver
- lbs
1,000 gp

Long Range Wireless Receiver
- lbs
2,000 gp

Infinity Wireless Receiver
- lbs
6,000 gp

Transcendance Wireless Receiver
- lbs
10,000 gp

Accelerated Storage
- lbs
3,000 gp

Weapons Locker
- lbs
3,000 gp

Ranged Deployer
- lbs
5,000 gp

STORAGE MODULES

Almost all Applied Storage devices need storage modules in order to function, this simple, yet durable storage technology allows for easy transfer of goods in a variety of formats, depending on the needs of the user.

Note that when items are stored in Applied Storage systems, their contents are deposited into a cartridge which may when detached from the network and moved to another system, perhaps for trade or for more management.

Solid Storage Module
Solid modules are the most common type of storage.

The rules for using standard cartridges are simple.

1. The object must be solid. Fluids may be stored in a standard storage cartridge, but if only the fluid is in a container.
2. Solid objects are stored in formless space and do not exist while stored, however, the weight the object possessed when it was still solid must be accounted for as heavier objects take proportionately more room in a storage module. Higher grade modules have higher weight capacities.
3. Living things may be stored, but perish upon being stored and retrieved. Use Spatial Storage Cartridges to store living things safely.
4. Containers and their contents are treated as a single item.
5. Stored items are frozen in time, quantumly locked as it were.

Item
Capacity
Weight
Cost (in gold)

1k Solid Storage
100 lbs
- lbs
500 gp

4k Solid Storage
400 lbs
- lbs
2,500 gp

16k Solid Storage
1,600 lbs
- lbs
10,000 gp

64k Solid Storage
6,400 lbs
- lbs
40,000 gp

Fluid Storage Module
Fluid storage is based off of volume, the more volume a liquid takes, the more storage it requires. As a basic rule, storage is measured in gallons.

Technically, this is not limited to liquids: the storage module is able to handle particulate matter and gasses. Note that for gasses, try to convert the gas into a liquid to determine storage capacity, such as say, if you want to store oxygen, use conversions of liquid oxygen.

Item
Capacity
Weight
Cost (in gold)

1k Fluid Storage
10 gallon
- lbs

4k Fluid Storage
40 gallons
- lbs

16k Fluid Storage
160 gallons
- lbs

64k Fluid Storage
640 gallons
- lbs

Spatial Storage Modules
Spatial storage modules are unique in that their purpose is to save a predefined area or very large object. As a result, they tend to be more… limited in their deployability because a normal interface cannot transfer their contents and require special tools to load or unload.

Whatever is inside a spatial storage module is able to live inside it (albeit with limited air and lack of sunlight) and time passes while it is stored. Essentially, a Spatial Cartridge is like having a pocket dimension to dump things in and out of at a whim. There is no limitation on what can be stored other than the sheer volume of the area required.

As an addendum of using Spatial Storage on an unwilling creature. A creature in an area being forcible taken into Spatial Storage can cancel the operation with a DC 15 Fortitude save. Successfully performing the save prevents the operation and so long as the creature is in the spatial area, the area cannot be “unpacked” for upto 24 hours. Knocking out the creature will allow it to be taken into Spatial Storage without a save, and successfully capturing a creature into Spatial Storage means that until it is free, it is not allowed to have a save.

Planeshift or similar spells can allow exit from Spatial Storage, but cannot allow entrance.

Also, a person using spatial storage does not need to use the entire area, the Spatial area given for Spatial Storage is merely the maximums.

Item
Capacity
Weight
Cost (in gold)

2Cubed Spatial Storage
10 ft x10 ft x 10 cube
- lbs

4Cubed Spatial Storage
20 ft x 20 ft x 20 ft cube
- lbs

8Cubed Spatial Storage
40 ft x 40 ft x 40 ft cube
- lbs

Anyone familiar with Applied Energistics from modded Minecraft? I basically did a conversion of that but put it into D&D 3.5 terms. This is something neat for people who are. It feel it’s expensive, but allows for some neat tricks, especially for a Party who wants to say have shared inventory space to make logistics easier.

The prices I feel are kinda insane given how cheap bags of holding are, and I probably need to adjust things here and there especially in regards of how to handle rules. On the other hand, Portable Storage is handheld and can be customized for more features. NNetwork storafe is designed for general party use/setting up a home base.

Things may need adjustment of course, though as far as I am aware this should be fine with minimal adjustments. Perhaps call them crystals in a different setting.

khadgar567
2017-10-08, 07:11 AM
for basic info about how to build AS network please refer to videos made by your good old archmage direwolf20 on minecraft forums.

do you gonna make starfinder version of this?

Almarck
2017-10-08, 07:25 AM
for basic info about how to build AS network please refer to videos made by your good old archmage direwolf20 on minecraft forums.

do you gonna make starfinder version of this?

I thought about making AS complicated foe D&D, bit then i decided to water it down because handling channels is excessive. Especially since autocrafting is the only reason you would want loads of channels.
So, i went with the essentials, Wireless based storage networking to remove tedium. Dire said it himself in Forever Stranded, you only need to worry aboit channels if you want an autocrafting network.

I also nerfed basic storafe to weight/mass based because if i did that 1k storage would be all anyone would need.

Also, i would, if i had a better grasp on Starfinder. I think the only thing need really is energy upkeep and credit prices.

khadgar567
2017-10-08, 08:11 AM
I thought about making AS complicated foe D&D, bit then i decided to water it down because handling channels is excessive. Especially since autocrafting is the only reason you would want loads of channels.
So, i went with the essentials, Wireless based storage networking to remove tedium. Dire said it himself in Forever Stranded, you only need to worry aboit channels if you want an autocrafting network.

I also nerfed basic storafe to weight/mass based because if i did that 1k storage would be all anyone would need.

Also, i would, if i had a better grasp on Starfinder. I think the only thing need really is energy upkeep and credit prices.
nothing changes to much just gp becomes credit thats kinda all plus auto crafting will be op but i kinda feel its not that op like pathfinder era plus in minecraft sand acts as item rather then fluid.

well this was kinda intresting project both as starfinder and pathfinder.
i like to both help and see its compleated so i can add to my galaxy( my setting)

Almarck
2017-10-08, 08:22 AM
nothing changes to much just gp becomes credit thats kinda all plus auto crafting will be op but i kinda feel its not that op like pathfinder era plus in minecraft sand acts as item rather then fluid.

well this was kinda intresting project both as starfinder and pathfinder.
i like to both help and see its compleated so i can add to my galaxy( my setting)

Only did the sand thing because things arent well, blocks the same way as in minecraft. So it made more sense asa fluid.

I think the only thing thats neccesary is some sort of gold to credit exchanger.

Once i have that, i can just edit or add a new table to shift the prices..... is it as simple as adding an extra 0 and saying theyre credits?

Will make autocrafting latter.

Xzoltar
2017-10-08, 01:35 PM
Very good idea and I will change the fluff to make it a little more D&D and little less SciFi for my test. However this is something that will be quite useful for our campaign. Thank you

Mith
2017-10-08, 02:24 PM
I like the concept, although there are a few things that bug me, but that might be me thinking overly hard about this as an Engineer. When I have time to think it through, and a proper keyboard, I post a more detailed response.

Almarck
2017-10-08, 03:56 PM
I like the concept, although there are a few things that bug me, but that might be me thinking overly hard about this as an Engineer. When I have time to think it through, and a proper keyboard, I post a more detailed response.

Yeah, I figured as much. I awfully kitbashed this from something that was very programming heavy.

Mith
2017-10-08, 04:17 PM
Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily a problem at a game level, just in my head.

For example, I can see a difference in solids and fluid storage being more practical than a property of the matter it is comprised of.

Almarck
2017-10-08, 05:26 PM
Well, the way you get items out of storage is picking it up apparently, so theres that.

Mith
2017-10-10, 09:37 PM
Well, the way you get items out of storage is picking it up apparently, so theres that.

Fair enough. Doing another read over, I think I have no problem with the idea. I might specify the reasoning that fluid/particle - like matter is stored in fluid AS is due to the fact that they are impractical/impossible to remove from a regular AS system. One cannot "pour" out of an AS unless you have a "fluid" attachment.

Almarck
2017-10-11, 11:14 AM
Fair enough. Doing another read over, I think I have no problem with the idea. I might specify the reasoning that fluid/particle - like matter is stored in fluid AS is due to the fact that they are impractical/impossible to remove from a regular AS system. One cannot "pour" out of an AS unless you have a "fluid" attachment.

Okay. I added some text to clarify it. And I explained how liquid withdrawl works.. If they already have fluid storage modules, no point adding more tax for it. Fluids can just be ejected out similar to a hose or fountain or using the interface device as though it was some sort of bucket. Or, going by how AE2 and refined storage used fluid storage: simply insert a container that can hold the fluid, such as a bucket: the bucket is filled with the fluid you want to withdraw.

This can be handy for say, if you have really corrosive acid that can only be stored normally in specific vials or flasks, and handling them is risky because it turns to just as corrosive vapor. If you manage to get the acid into the system already, withdrawing it and putting it into flasks is simple as putting the flasks into the interface of a device and then having the machine place it in for you. No mess.