PDA

View Full Version : Help with new character for Ravenloft

Glarnog
2017-10-09, 11:20 AM
Rolled stats. The stats can be assigned any way I want. Class, race, skills, backgrounds, etc haven't been picked. Starting at first level.
I rolled:

Any thoughts and or help in building a useful, fun, first level character for Ravenloft around that is most appreciated?

New campaign starting next Sunday. Brand New Dm, he has some experience playing though. I haven't played Ravenloft. Not sure how many are playing. At least 4, to could be up to 6. So far there is a half-elf paladin who I think will go warlock. And a wood elf cleric who will probably pick deception domain.

I have the most experience in 5ed with an evoker, and some with rogue, and barbarian.

Thanks all, ii appreciate it.

Glarnog
2017-10-11, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I've always wanted to try moon druid. Dm said pH only

My main concerns now are contributing and surviving at first level, and basically the same when not in wild shape, and cantrip choice to help those concerns. Ac of 13 and plus one to hit and -1 to dam. Isn't ideal.

Thornwhip looks fun but too dangerous to pull foes closer. Shillelagh as impressive as it is, even more dangerous, scales poorly. So I am looking at Produce Flame for me attacks . +6 d6. With druidcraft as utilities.

Mister_Squinty
2017-10-11, 11:11 AM
Thanks, I've always wanted to try moon druid. Dm said pH only

My main concerns now are contributing and surviving at first level, and basically the same when not in wild shape, and cantrip choice to help those concerns. Ac of 13 and plus one to hit and -1 to dam. Isn't ideal.

Thornwhip looks fun but too dangerous to pull foes closer. Shillelagh as impressive as it is, even more dangerous, scales poorly. So I am looking at Produce Flame for me attacks . +6 d6. With druidcraft as utilities.

An alternative would be a 1/2 Elf Life/Tempest/War Cleric. Put the 6 into CHA, boosted to 8, and the 7 into DEX, boosted to 8. Put the other +1 into the 13 stat for STR so you can wear Heavy Armor. Gives you:

ST 14
DX 8
CN 12
WS 18
IN 10
CH 8

Patches over those nasty holes in your stat block. Light on HP, but good AC with a shield. Given that its Ravenloft, both Holy Fire and Healing/Restores are never bad ideas.

(Edit: Could also swap INT and DEX if you dont want a negative DX save)

Glarnog
2017-10-11, 01:49 PM
Mr. Squinty you make some great suggestions. I am pretty far down the druid path. I do like the idea of several clerics in one party though.

Glarnog
2017-10-11, 01:51 PM
Beelzebubba, think I should trade Druidcraft for Thronwhip. Or trade Produce flames for Thornwhip? And pick up the other at 4th?

Avonar
2017-10-11, 05:02 PM
If you want to do something incredibly thematic, why not a Rogue Inquisitive? It's currently in the Gothic Heros Unearthed Arcana but you might not hit level 3 until Xanathar's comes out. It's a fun class to play I found.