PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New spell: Lesser Antimagic Field

Myth27
2017-10-10, 04:42 PM
Can you think of a spell that has the same basic effect of antimagic field but it's somehow weaker and therefore balanced to be a 5th or maybe even 4th level spell?

Maybe just reducing the duration could work, or would it still be too powerful? Reducing the radius isn't very nice since the starts at only 10 feet.

Any ideas? Or does already exist some lower level spell similar to antimagic field?

Westhart
2017-10-10, 08:33 PM
Maybe disallows certain levels of spells (similar to the globe idea), or you have to make a spellcraft check (DC 10+2*SL) to be able to cast a spell? Decreasing the duration shouldn't drop it a level IMO

rferries
2017-10-11, 01:05 AM
This is a hard one... the globe of invulnerability suggestion is an option.

Alternatively, a drastic reduction in duration (e.g. no longer than 1 round/level), plus switching it from an emanation to a range of personal - still protects you, still suppresses your own casting, but can't protect your allies.

Westhart
2017-10-11, 07:18 AM
hmm, although wasn't there a feat that allowed you to cast a personal spell as a touch? If so this spell totally rocks out with reach... 30 ft, one person can't use magic ? :belkar:

antimagic ray is 6th level... I think?

ericgrau
2017-10-11, 12:33 PM
Globe of invulnerability is actually an advantage. Which is why it's also a 6th level spell. Except it doesn't affect the caster. Except even if you did make it affect the caster, that's still an advantage because he can still cast high level spells freely while protecting him from low level effects.

Spellcraft sounds kinda nice at first, except then the caster can abuse it and pump modifiers. Once again making it effectively a selective AMF which is better than the regular one. You can't expect your opponent to similarly pump spellcraft/etc.; he has less reason to.

How about a flat 50% spell failure? Simple, and hard to abuse. Affects both caster and any spells coming in. Also for time's sake make it all or nothing: Roll once per round to see if the AMF is fully active or fully not. Roll in secret, or after the first spell or magical effect is attempted/somehow observed.

Myth27
2017-10-14, 08:19 AM
Thank you for your answers

rferries
2017-10-14, 09:03 AM
Here's a quick version:

Antimagic Field, Lesser
Abjuration
Level: Clr 7, Magic 5, Protection 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

This spell functions as antimagic field, with the above exceptions. You are effectively immune to magical effects but cannot cast spells and any magic item you are carrying is nonfunctional.

Deepbluediver
2017-10-14, 12:55 PM
What about a spell that functions like Anti-Magic field but only works for one subschool or classification of spells at a time? What I mean is, it's got the same properties as the AMF (size, duration, spell interaction, etc) but only applies to spells from the Teleportation subschool or with the [Fire] descriptor? You can change the modifier for the spell each time it's cast and let multiple castings overlap so it's a fairly solid defense if you know what you need to defend against, but it's not a blanket-negation of all magic.

Does that kind of thing work for what you had in mind?

rferries
2017-10-14, 08:47 PM
What about a spell that functions like Anti-Magic field but only works for one subschool or classification of spells at a time? What I mean is, it's got the same properties as the AMF (size, duration, spell interaction, etc) but only applies to spells from the Teleportation subschool or with the [Fire] descriptor? You can change the modifier for the spell each time it's cast and let multiple castings overlap so it's a fairly solid defense if you know what you need to defend against, but it's not a blanket-negation of all magic.

Does that kind of thing work for what you had in mind?

That's another clever take on it. Just so longas it suppresses your own casting of that school/descriptor etc, otherwise treads on spell immunity's toes.

Xzoltar
2017-10-14, 08:52 PM
It could be something like :

Weakned Magic Field (Wizard 4) : Any Spell or Magical Effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, have a Penalty to their Caster level equal to 1 per 3 level of the caster of Weakened Magic Field and their DC is reduced by Half of that. Spell with a Caster level too low to be cast dont work within the area as if within an Antimagic Field. (Ex: a Caster of lvl 12 who cast this spell make all other magic have their Caster level reduced by 4 and their DC by 2).

Deepbluediver
2017-10-14, 09:25 PM
That's another clever take on it. Just so longas it suppresses your own casting of that school/descriptor etc, otherwise treads on spell immunity's toes.
I honestly never imagined it working any other way.

rferries
2017-10-14, 09:38 PM
I honestly never imagined it working any other way.

Ha yes my apologies!

Deepbluediver
2017-10-14, 10:23 PM
Ha yes my apologies!
No need to apologize; until the day when all of humanity is finally subsumed into the alien-robo-lizard-Illuminati's hivemind and our individual consciousnesses are incorporated into a single gestalt entity, clarification will always be necessary. :smalltongue:

So what I'm saying is, this should only be an issue for another 3 weeks or so.