PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Tweak

Kane0
2017-10-10, 04:51 PM
Placing my fighter changes here for completeness sake, all comments welcome!

The Fighter

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Class Features

+2
Fighting Style, Second Wind

+2
Action Surge

+2
Martial Archetype

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Extra Attack (2)

+3
Ability Score Increase

+3
Archetype Feature

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Indomitable (1/SR)

+4
Archetype Feature

+4
Extra Attack (3)

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Critical Focus (1/SR)

+5
Ability Score Increase

+5
Archetype Feature

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Extra Attack (4)

+6
Archetype Feature

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Lord of Battle

Hit Die: d10
Armor Proficiencies: Light, Medium, Heavy and Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple & Martial
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Strength and Constitution
Skill Proficiencies: Two from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Perception and Survival

Fighting Style:
Choose any one fighting style

Hand-and-a-half: +1 to hit and damage when using a versatile weapon in both hands
Polearm: When using a reach weapon hostile creatures treat the space within your reach as difficult terrain

Second Wind:
As per PHB

Action Surge:
As per PHB

Martial Archetype:
As per PHB

Ability Score Improvement:
As per PHB

Extra Attack:
As per PHB

Indomitable:
If you fail a saving throw you can choose to reroll it as if it were a constitution saving throw. After you use this ability you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Critical Focus:
When you hit with a weapon attack you can choose to make it a critical hit as if you rolled a 20 on the attack roll. After you use this ability you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Lord of Battle:
You gain an additional use of your Second Wind, Action Surge, Indomitable and Critical Focus abilities before needing a short or long rest.

Level 3: Arcane Archer Lore
You choose to gain proficiency in either the Arcana or the Nature skill, and you choose to learn either the Prestidigitation or the Druidcraft cantrip.

Level 3: Arcane Shot
You learn two Arcane Shot options of your choice. Once per turn when you attack with a ranged weapon you can apply one of your Arcane Shot options to that attack. You decide to use the option when the attack hits a creature, unless the option doesn’t involve an attack roll. You learn an additional Arcane Shot option of your choice when you reach levels 7, 10, and 15. Each option also improves at 10th and 18th level.
You have two uses of this ability, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest. You gain a third use of this ability at 7th level in this class.

Level 7: Magic Arrow
Whenever you fire a piece of nonmagical ammunition from a ranged weapon, you can make it magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. The magic fades from the ammunition immediately after it hits or misses its target.

Level 15: Every-Ready Shot
If you roll initiative and have no uses of Arcane Shot remaining, you regain one use of it.

Additional Maneuvers (Credit to Nu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?536803-5E-Combat-Expertise-22-New-Maneuvers-for-Battle-Master-fighters-and-Martial-Adepts))

Defensive Fighting
You can expend one superiority die to take the Dodge action as a bonus action, and the next time before you take damage before your next turn you reduce the damage taken by the result of your superiority die roll.

Lead the Attack
When you hit an enemy with a weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action to expose it to your allies. Add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll and to the first attack that hits from an ally against the same target before the start of your next turn.

Shield Bash
Prerequisite: 7th level
When you are wielding a shield and hit with a weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action to make a shove attempt. If you succeed the target cannot take reactions until the end of your next turn.

Heedless Charge
Prerequisite: 7th level
When you take the attack action and move at least 15 feet in a straight line towards your target you can expend one or more superiority die and add the result to the attack and damage rolls if you make an attack, or to the Strength check if you are attempting a shove.

Volley Fire
Prerequisite: 7th level, Archery Fighting Style
While wielding a ranged weapon you can expend one superiority die and spend an action to make one attack against each creature within a 10 foot radius area within range, adding the superiority die to the damage of each attack.

Execute
Prerequisite: 10th level
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend a superiority die to try and finish the target off. Add your superiority die to the damage roll, and if you hit a target that is at half its maximum hit points or less the attack is a critical hit.

Taunt
You can expend one superiority die and use an action on your turn to cry out in challenge to nearby enemies. Hostile creatures within 15 feet of you and that can see and hear you must make a Charisma saving throw or use their reaction to move up to their speed towards you. Any creature that is immune to being frightened or that does not understand you is not affected.

Unbroken
When you take damage, you can spend one superiority die and use your reaction to reduce any damage you take by the result of the superiority die until the end of your next turn.

Hail of Arrows
Prerequisite: 15th level
While wielding a ranged weapon, you can expend a superiority die and use your action to make one ranged weapon attack against any creatures within range that you can see. Add your superiority die to the damage roll of each attack.

Mighty Strikes
Prerequisite: 15th level
When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to strike with deadly precision. Add the superiority die to each weapon attack and damage roll you make this turn.

Level 3: Expertise
You gain expertise in one skill you are proficient in.

Level 3: Improved Critical
Your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20

Level 7: Remarkable Athlete
You add half your proficiency bonus (round up) to any Strength, Dexterity or Constitution check you make, including checks you are proficient in but not checks that you apply expertise to.
In addition, when you jump you are always considered to have a running start.

Level 10: Additional Fighting Style
You can choose a second option from the Fighting Style class feature

Level 10: Revitalizing strength
When you use your Second Wind class feature you heal additional hit points equal to your proficiency bonus

Level 15: Superior Critical
Your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20

Level 18: Survivor
While conscious and at no more than half your maximum hit points you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier at the beginning of each of your turns.

Level 3: Bonded Weapon
You learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and up to two weapons. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, and bonding to a third weapon releases the bond on one of your bonded weapons.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself you cannot be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated, and you can summon a bonded weapon weapon to your hand as a bonus action on your turn if it is on the same plane of existence. A bonded weapon can be used as a spell focus, and while you are wielding a bonded weapon you are considered to have a free hand for the purposes of casting spells.

Level 3: Spellcasting
You gain spellcasting on a 1/3 progression (round up) using the wizard spell list and using Intelligence as your casting stat. You know two cantrips at level 3 and a third at level 10.

Level 7: War Magic
When you take the attack action you can substitute one weapon attack to instead cast a cantrip.

Level 10: Eldritch Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, that creature has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn.

Level 15: Arcane Charge
When you use your Action Surge you can also teleports up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see. You can teleport before or after the additional action.

Level 18: Improved War Magic
When you take the attack action you can substitute two weapon attacks to instead cast a spell.

Level 3: Pact Magic
You gain pact magic on a 1/3 progression (round up) using the warlock spell list and using Charisma as your casting stat. You know two cantrips at level 3 and a third at level 10.

Level 3: Bonded Weapon
You learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and up to two weapons. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, and bonding to a third weapon releases the bond on one of your bonded weapons.
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself you cannot be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated, and you can summon a bonded weapon weapon to your hand as a bonus action on your turn if it is on the same plane of existence. A bonded weapon can be used as a spell focus, and while you are wielding a bonded weapon you are considered to have a free hand for the purposes of casting spells.

Level 7: Hexblade Curse
Once per short rest as a bonus action you can target one creature you can see with a crippling curse that lasts one minute. When you hit a creature under the effects of your curse you deal an additional 1d6 necrotic damage. The creature also has disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws for one ability of your choice. A successful Wisdom saving throw against your Spell DC negates this disadvantage.
This ability does not stack with those of the Hex spell and can be ended with a Remove Curse spell, or if you choose to end it using a bonus action.

Level 10: Mettle
Once per short rest you can take a second reaction. You cannot use more than one reaction on the same turn.

Level 15: Aura of Unluck
When a hostile creature within 15' of you that you can see makes an attack, you can use your reaction to roll 1d6 and subtract the result from the creature's attack roll.

Level 18: Dire Curse
Your Hexblade Curse improves, lasting up to one hour, dealing 2d6 bonus damage and granting disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws for two abilities of your choice. A successful Wisdom saving throw negates the disadvantage to one of these abilities (target's choice).

Level 3: Tactician
When you take the Attack action, you can forego your attack to allow one ally within 30 feet that can see and hear you to make one weapon attack. If you are able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

Level 3: Aura of Discipline
You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on Strength checks and saving throws to avoid being forcibly moved or knocked Prone.

Level 7: Great Leadership
You gain proficiency in your choice of Intimidation, Insight or Persuasion. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make using this skill.

Level 10: Inspiring Word
When you use your Second Wind, Action Surge or Indomitable feature you can choose to instead gain temporary Hit Points equal to your Fighter level and provide the benefits of the feature to a friendly creature that can see and hear you within 30 feet. Once you use this feature you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Level 15: Battlecry
As a bonus action you can rally up to three allied creatures within 60 feet that can see and hear you. These creatures can use their reaction to spend one or more hit die up to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) and move up to half their speed. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. Once you use this feature you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Level 18: Lord of War
When you see an ally make an attack you can use your reaction to grant advantage on the attack roll.

SharkForce
2017-10-11, 02:14 PM
looks interesting. i prefer it over regular fighter, i'm not sure how most people in general will feel about it though.

some thoughts:

defensive fighting: i don't see why it needs to be tied to attacking, and i especially don't see why it needs to be tied to hitting, or why it deals extra damage. instead, i would recommend it simply allow dodge as a bonus action (without needing to attack), and the superiority die can be used to reduce the damage of one effect (doesn't necessarily need to be from an attack, could be from a save effect or a magic missile that can't be dodged) within the next round.

lead the attack: allowing it to apply to unlimited creatures 1/turn is way too much compared to other maneuvers. i would allow it to apply to your own attack, and to the next attack that hits the target, no more.

off-hand strike: it isn't clear that you are (as best i can tell) intending to allow two hits with your off-hand for one bonus action, rather than two hits for two bonus actions (which does nothing, since you only have one bonus action). i suggest you reword this to just state that it allows you to make two attacks with your off-hand weapon as a bonus action. applying superiority die to both might be a bit much, not totally certain on that.

shield bash: stunned is a pretty rare status condition to be able to inflict. not sure i agree with this. i would favour something more along the lines of denying reactions, so it allows allies to disengage, prevents parry attempts, etc.

taunt: feels too magical to me. YMMV, of course. i would look at goading attack for guidelines. and at the very least, make it require you to speak a language your targets can understand.

for the rest of them... i like the idea of a fighter that scales up like this. the problem is that no other martial is scaling like this. if you keep this version of the battlemaster, you need to plan to rework barbarian, ranger, and probably even monk and rogue, as well as the other fighter archetypes. battlemaster is already ahead of champion in almost any plausible scenario; what do you think happens when you give the battlemaster access to all this cool stuff and you give champion +5 feet of movement? likewise, eldritch knight is a pretty good subclass, but not so amazing that you can give a huge boost to battlemaster without boosting EK.

in any event, i would recommend that you make clear that the level requirements are *fighter* level requirements, so that you don't have every other martial waiting to level 16 to grab a pair of level 15 abilities with a feat ;)

hexblade: i'm not sure i can really analyze the entire archetype properly, but i do have some concerns about specific abilites:

pact magic: standard 5e seems to require that you give someone a spellcasting attribute, otherwise they don't have one. presumably, you intend for this to be charisma in this case, i'm just saying that if you don't give it to them, they don't have it by default, and i'm pretty sure you want them to have one ;)

hexblade curse: i'm fairly uncomfortable with the idea of giving disadvantage on every save a creature makes for 24 hours. abilities that mess around with enemy saves are pretty rare and limited (you may argue that EK and AT get much less limited abilities, but they get them far into the subclass and it only works for their *own* spells, which usually won't have very good DC in the first place, won't be high level, and have very limited spell selection). maybe an ability to consume the curse as a reaction to give disadvantage on one save would be more in line with other similar effects. alternately, limit it to saves against your own stuff, and that will probably be fine too.

aura of unluck: seems a bit much. i would at least require a reaction to activate the ability for any given round.

dire curse: so long as it's tweaked as i suggested you tweak hexblade curse above, probably fine :)

thematically: i do feel like gaining access to an invocation or two might feel more like a warlock-y fighter than some of the abilities you've given above.

edit: hand-and-a-half style probably needs some re-thinking. you're probably better off just grabbing duelist style and using the weapon one-handed all the time; now you have an empty hand if you need it, and you're still doing most likely the same average damage when you two-hand the weapon, plus obviously your damage would be much better when you're using a verstile weapon one-handed.

Kane0
2017-10-11, 03:28 PM
Oh wow, big response.

BM maneuvers: These were lifted more of less straight from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?536803-5E-Combat-Expertise-22-New-Maneuvers-for-Battle-Master-fighters-and-Martial-Adepts), so credit where it's due and feedback probably better for Nu than for me. Will also edit that into the OP.
I have added in your suggestions though.

So far as exponential BMs vs linear martials, I'm not too concerned... yet. These are still limited resources and a lot of the time you would take your favourite maneuvers as soon as you get into BM and then have little reason to continue taking levels to get more.

Hexblade:
Yep Cha casting, will add that in.
Hex duration changed to one minute, increasing to one hour with Dire Curse
Aura of unluck altered to use reaction, which make sense considering mettle.
I'm not super keen on throwing in an invocation mostly because I think that even if it's making a subclass out of a multiclass option both the subclass and other class should have something unique for themselves, like how EK gets War Magic.

For Hand-n-Half style, think of it the other way around. Someone who would usually take GWF can now take a style that boosts attack rolls which is pretty valuable, and they get the option of using their weapon in one hand if the need arises. The +1 damage evens out the loss of a die size. Though I could make it +1 damage all the time, +1 attack in two hands so you don't lose all benefits when using versatile weapons one handed.

SharkForce
2017-10-11, 09:30 PM
ah, didn't notice the +1 attack bonus buff for some reason. ok, hand-and-a-half is probably fine :P

note that those battlemaster maneuvers you've added start getting level requirements, so actually, level requirements are a thing if you're using those maneuvers ;)

Kane0
2018-02-16, 08:02 PM
Bump, made some tweaks and additions. Also removed some superfluous maneuvers thanks to base rule changes and introduction of the warlord.

While i’d dearly love to make a whole new Warlord class the whole design philosophy of 5e sort of eschews adding then, something I noticed with the Invoker. I know it doesnt do the original justice, but at least it’s a better fit than the PDK or a multiclassed battlemaster.