PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I made a thing. Dragonborn "fix". PEACH

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-10-11, 07:23 AM
This is one of my older brews (in other words, before the UA racial feats were released) that helped me quell my overall disatisfaction with 5e's attempt at a Dragonborn race. The linked doc is one that my group uses for dragonborn and so far its worked out really well. It's written up to be used by us, but I have deliberately enabled comments so things can be hashed out there if need be. Granted, most of our players are mature enough that balance has not been too much of an issue, which is why I will listen to the mostly useful advice of my fellow playgrounders to help. On a more specific note, I acknowledge that the metallic dragonborn breath weapons are potent and in need of a balanced pimp hand, I am just uncertain of which direction to put it in or even knowing 100% what valid options I have.

So here is the link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_S7EenKFkhIFva9eY9S_rTCv1bRpsunq_1xyHkwYNsU/edit?usp=sharing) and I hope you guys enjoy it in one form or another.

Overall I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who was unnerved to see the 4e style (Scary strong people with a skin condition) vs 3.5 style (Proud noble people reborn under the blessing of Bahamut. As a race option this one does make less sense, but at least you got to feel more like a dragon-peron-thing). The changes in the Document provide a sizable power increase to the dragonborn race as a whole, but allowed it to feel as mechanically diverse as dragonlances Draconians (http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Draconian). However, if a more conservative approach is desired, the DM can easily limit the number of options the PC may choose. Overall, we wanted to do a dragonborn-centric game and wanted to feel like their could be some differences between dragon types. I really hope this is enjoyed and I'm not just shoveling around uncooked tripe.

Also note that this racial fix was created before the UA racial feats were made, so please understand that this should create an either/or scenario in terms of what to use.

Llama513
2017-10-12, 12:13 PM
I really like the idea, but I'm not sure if giving them two legacy options right of the bat is balanced, but I haven't worked that much with races, my thought is to give them a choice of one legacy feature, and hold the alternate breath weapon until level 3, or something like that.

On looking closer what I would say is split the legacy options into minor and major legacies and have them pick one of each

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-10-12, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I can see your point. I might make a couple level dependent if they are providing too much oomph for what it it. I was trying to ensure that each single piece was similar to 1/2 of a feat. I did have a suggestion that if the DM or PC felt it was too powerful that only 1 option can be taken at the start andthen feats are used to acquire more. I swear that was supposed to be the conservative approach.

Llama513
2017-10-13, 02:09 AM
Its not a bad base it just needs to be adjusted a little bit for balance is all