PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the updates?

SteveD
2007-08-15, 05:16 PM
This is a really irritating point in the story to go slash the updates guys. :smallconfused:

Narthon the Bold
2007-08-15, 09:05 PM
Welcome to Giant in the Playground. Enjoy your stay.

VariaVespasa
2007-08-15, 09:35 PM
They were mugged and savagely beaten in a dark alley somewhere and all their font stolen. When the updates have finished their recovery and all their typoes have healed they'll be back. :P

tomaO2
2007-08-15, 09:59 PM
It was nice of the artists here to let us vent a bit here with that sticky thread they made. Unlike OOTS, where you your not allowed to say anything at all negative. We got to bitch and are now mostly settled into random updates. Though still not happy about it. *sigh*

It would be nice to have an idea of when the next is coming though. It's been quite awhile...

rashambo
2007-08-15, 10:05 PM
As far as the updates go, they are sporadic, but good. Giant has health problems and erf guys are going through crap right now. It's worth the wait though.

I think they should re-name it order of the stuck.

ShiningTed
2007-08-16, 03:47 AM
Are we supposed to assume that everyone is at Gencon? (except Rich, who is sick - and therefore not updating much anyway).

If so, I can understand it all being on hold (as Goblins is - loved the twist in the Goblins story btw, redeemed the last 20 pages or so for me).

Gez
2007-08-16, 05:21 AM
As far as the updates go, they are sporadic, but good. Giant has health problems and erf guys are going through crap right now. It's worth the wait though.

Plus, even if the updates exist, they won't be available until Rich uploads them himself...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-16, 06:15 AM
Plus, even if the updates exist, they won't be available until Rich uploads them himself...

It only takes Rich a few minutes to upload Erfworld, once he gets it.

Rob is at GenCon, I'm not sure where Jamie is, but apparantly "Murphy's Law" hit them pretty hard at their last Convention, and Jamie has sworn them off for a bit.

Rich has been quite sick as of late, he's apologized and promised more strips, but when you can't even sit a computer, it makes drawing the strip that much harder.

Just be patient. The strip will return.

EDIT:
HAH! Seconds later, and there's the strip!

ShiningTed
2007-08-16, 06:52 AM
Yeah, this is one time its damn good to be wrong :)

Gez
2007-08-16, 10:20 AM
It only takes Rich a few minutes to upload Erfworld, once he gets it <snip>, but when you can't even sit a computer, it makes [checking your email] that much harder.

This was my point. :smallwink:

That said, woohoo!, an update!

sihnfahl
2007-08-16, 10:30 AM
Rob is at GenCon, I'm not sure where Jamie is

Let's see. Didn't Jamie just get married... like... not even a month ago?

He's probably still got to deal with all the post-marriage stuff (sorting through the well-wishes, the thank you letters, all the gifts, making sure things got paid fully)... not to mention doing something I'd think is more important. Like -paying attention to your wife-.

Plus, he may have had to move into a larger place to accomodate sharing space with someone else.

SteveD
2007-08-16, 11:25 AM
It only takes Rich a few minutes to upload Erfworld, once he gets it.

Rob is at GenCon, I'm not sure where Jamie is, but apparantly "Murphy's Law" hit them pretty hard at their last Convention, and Jamie has sworn them off for a bit.

Rich has been quite sick as of late, he's apologized and promised more strips, but when you can't even sit a computer, it makes drawing the strip that much harder.

Just be patient. The strip will return.

EDIT:
HAH! Seconds later, and there's the strip!

If only I'd started this thread sooner. :smallwink:

Strengfellow
2007-08-16, 01:57 PM
It does seem an ask and you shall receive moment.

zippthorne
2007-08-16, 10:30 PM
Any chance of an RSS feed of either comic at some point? Seems bandwidth wasteful to load a whole page with graphics just to check and see if it's updated every day, but since the random schedule could theoretically mean back-to-back updates and we don't want to miss any...

SteveMB
2007-08-16, 10:39 PM
Any chance of an RSS feed of either comic at some point? Seems bandwidth wasteful to load a whole page with graphics just to check and see if it's updated every day, but since the random schedule could theoretically mean back-to-back updates and we don't want to miss any...

The feeds have been in place since January:

Order of the Stick: feed://www.GiantITP.com/comics/oots.rss
Erfworld: feed://www.GiantITP.com/comics/erf.rss
Both: feed://www.GiantITP.com/comics/comics.rss

zippthorne
2007-08-17, 12:45 PM
sweet. thanks.

ShiningTed
2007-08-22, 02:31 AM
Last time I asked this, we got an update within a few hours, so I'm gonna try it again :smalltongue:

Are we to assume with Rob at GenCon that we will be short an update or two? I mean its a damn good excuse - i don't expect him to be sitting in a corner messaging dialogue to Jamie :smallwink: - but then I dare say it is the artwork that causes the bottleneck, not the writing, so if Jamie and Rich are not there, I live in hope of an update getting drawn and posted.

Has anyone heard anything one way or another?

atom
2007-08-22, 03:27 AM
I hope this is not true, but maybe it's Rich again?

It's happened before - they sent him a new page and he didn't put it up (no doubt thanks to his illness strapping him to his bed), so maybe it's that again.

I do hope I'm mistaken, no-one likes to be ill and we can't scold them for that.

rxmd
2007-08-22, 05:23 AM
I do hope I'm mistaken, no-one likes to be ill and we can't scold them for that.
Well, but we can wonder how much sense it makes to force doing the actual updates on a man who is at times too ill to sit in front of a computer. Maybe offloading these last five minutes off Rich's back would make things run a little more smoothly.

I wonder what kind of content management system this site has that makes impossible for Jamie & Rob to do the updating for their comic strips themselves.

Philipp

pclips
2007-08-22, 12:05 PM
Last time I asked this, we got an update within a few hours, so I'm gonna try it again :smalltongue:

Are we to assume with Rob at GenCon that we will be short an update or two? I mean its a damn good excuse - i don't expect him to be sitting in a corner messaging dialogue to Jamie :smallwink: - but then I dare say it is the artwork that causes the bottleneck, not the writing, so if Jamie and Rich are not there, I live in hope of an update getting drawn and posted.

Has anyone heard anything one way or another?

Ironically, for part of GenCon I was doing exactly that: sitting at the corner of a table in the CCG hall, typing scripts into my Blackberry (in this case, for pages 70 and 71, Jamie already had p72), and emailing them to myself and Jamie.

p67 could not be lettered until I got home from the con yesterday. It's done, and Rich will update it whenever his time and health will permit. Once again, I promise we are all doing the best we possibly can. I caught a vicious head cold at GenCon and am suffering through it, but working. I have Dragon*Con coming up, so expect less than 2-a-week to continue into September at least.

DDL
2007-08-22, 12:29 PM
Cheers for the heads up! (this weeks partiallyclips was fun too, btw)

One question though: Does anyone ever go to a convention and NOT get ill?

Or is conventionitis a malady that particularly afflicts comic writers?

Tirian
2007-08-22, 12:40 PM

No, concrud is a disease that crosses all industries.

benthehater
2007-08-22, 01:14 PM
Cheers for the heads up! (this weeks partiallyclips was fun too, btw)

What do you imagine the contagion potential of being exposed to countless unwashed (I kid you not) convention attendees is? The fact that folk who have space in the exhibit (and are therefore exposed to everyone passing through all day for each day of the convention) hall don't wear surgical masks is kind of shocking itself.

It's too bad the pink dwagon's fire bubble gum type stuff and not soap.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-22, 01:58 PM
Tim Buckley of Ctrl-Alt-Del covered that in this strip:

http://www.cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070716

Seriously, gamers have an unfortunate (and unfortunate because it is far too often TRUE) reputation for forgoing personal hygene.

Soap, shampoo, water, deoderant, toothpaste and toothbrush. You WON'T miss something cool in the ten-fifteen minutes it takes to use these handy items.

Seriously.

ShiningTed
2007-08-23, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the reply Rob! :smallbiggrin: I only got flu-jabbed myself yesterday (damn needles) - take care and eat plenty of chicken soup.

I make a mean chicken nugget soup but no-one ever takes me up on that offer... :smalleek: