PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Homebrew Everything Fix [WIP]

Knitifine
2017-10-13, 01:18 AM
I got bored, so I felt like putting some thoughts to paper.

Ability Scores

Strength - Strength represents your character's physical health and fitness.
Add your Strength modifier to...

Damage rolls with melee and thrown weapons.
Hit points at 1st level and each subsequent level.
Climb, Jump, and Swim skill checks.
Fortitude Saving Throws.

Agility - Agility represents how swiftly your character can move their body.
Add your Agility modifier to...

Attack roll with melee attacks.
As a bonus to your armor class.
Reflex saving throws.

Dexterity - Dexterity represents how precisely your character can control their body, particularly hand movements.
Add your Dexterity modifier to...

Attack rolls with light melee weapons (if higher than agility), and light throwing weapons.
Balance, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, and Use Rope skill checks.

Perception - Perception represents how precisely your character can perceive the world and pinpoint a target.
Add your Perception modifier to...

Attack rolls with ranged weapons
Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks.

Knowledge - Knowledge represents how educated your character is about the basic workings of the world.
Add your Knowledge modifier to...

Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge, Perform, Profession, Speak Language, and Spellcraft checks.

Courage - Courage represents how much your character is in control of their own mind, and able to think and act under pressure despite stress or fear.
Add your Courage modifier to...

Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, and Use Magic Device checks.
Will Saving Throws.

Generating Ability Scores

Each character starts with 10 in each ability score. Racial modifiers are then added to adjust this base.
Finally, the player may disturbed 12 ability score points among any ability scores they desire on a one for one basis, with all ability scores capped at 16.
DM desiring a more high powered game may wish to expand this cap to 18 or even 20, in which case it's advised to increase the number of ability score points given to 16 or 20.

Skill List

Awareness [Listen, Spot, Search]
Acrobatics
Culture [Gather Information, Decipher Script, Forgery, Speak Language, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (Religion)]
Deception [ Bluff, Disguise]
Empathy [Sense Motive]
Engineering [Disable Device, Open Lock, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering)]
Intimidation [Intimidate]
Medicine [Heal]
Mysticism [Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes)]
Persuasion [Diplomacy]
Profession [Craft, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand]
Stealth [Hide, Move Silently]
Survival [Handle Animal, Survival, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography)]

Appraise [Removed]
Use Magic Device [Removed]
Use Rope [Removed]

Remove skills are never rolled under this system. They are considered to automatically succeed. In the case of Use Rope, the DC to break free or escape is determined by the quality of rope being used.

[B]
Races (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22476261&postcount=7)

Proficiencies
Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, Advanced Weapons
Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor

Reading Magic

Languages

rferries
2017-10-13, 04:20 PM
It's a drastic change but skill consolidation is always good and your associations seem logical (Disable Device in particular).

Knitifine
2017-10-13, 04:45 PM
I agree. It's something I've been toying with for several years after becoming quite dissatisfied with the core six ability scores in 3.5e.

While it's been on the backburner, I've always had the intention of doing a 'psuedo-pathfinder' of my house rules, where I take the rules chapter by chapter (skipping around as necessary to build them up) and rework them to better fit as a skeleton for fantasy worlds that I create.

Let me include some reasonings (obviously some of these are tied together) -

Strength
Adding the functionality of Constitution to Strength was done to weaken the number of stat requirements dedicated melee fighters would have to take, from three (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution) to two (Strength, Agility). Additionally, I felt that neither Strength nor Constitution were pulling their weight as ability scores, so combining them and then cutting off the extra fat (Strength bonus to attack) seemed reasonable.
Justification: Strength and Constitution are linked in both real life and the stories we tell. While it's perfectly possible to be healthy without being strong and to be strong without being healthy these are not proper represented by consistent bonuses. In the former case, high constitution and low strength works adequately, but in the later case you'd want a strength that diminishes with each swing. Easier in my opinion to represent this by taking a feat the emulates high HP or temporary Strength, and worth the concept sacrifice for a more functional stat.

Agility
Simply put, Dexterity is a god-stat. It was overloaded with offensive, defensive and role-playing applications to the point that I absolutely needed to be cut in two. However taking out just the AC and Reflex felt inefficient, and having an ability that affected base land speed seemed to be pushing too far into unexplored territory, so that decision was made to include the concept of swift strikes into Agility and thus make it the attack stat for all melee attacks, resulting in a serviceable ability score.

Dexterity
Dexterity is now the skill stat, and keeping it as the stat for precise rogue-weapon striking seemed to be a good compromise that would lesson the demand to spread stats that splitting it in the first place would naturally cause.

Perception
This was always part of Wisdom, and an incredibly key part of skill checks. In effect this is merely the removal of 'willpower' aspect of wisdom, in exchange for the ability to add to ranged attacks. I kept it linked to sense motive, since psychologically speaking your intuition and 'common sense' are a function of your passive perception of your surroundings.

Knowledge
Intelligence is a funny thing. It's not entirely defined in modern times the way we've historically defined it, and further hazardous ideas about intelligence being a measure of superiority among certain nerd circles have made me largely lukewarm to the idea of allowing this state to retain it's name. Additionally, by allowing Intelligence to become Knowledge, the uncomfortable issue of certain humanoid 'races' having lower or higher stats can be set clearly within an exposure context rather than a eugenics one.

Courage
This is the most recent addition to my revision of statistics. Largely the result of adding willpower to the charisma stat and looking for a word that more solidly communicated 'force of personality'. Courage is also thematically extremely functional as a stat that weights into the Paladin's abilities and the ability of spellcasters to act under extraordinary circumstances. Finally, it was first attempted in a horror game where I needed a secondary HP bar to represent Morale and thus a Constitution equivalent to base that off of. Undecided if I will include that as core to this system.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-13, 05:03 PM
What's the problem you see that needsfixed? Anyway, my thoughts:

Everyone will have a moderate-to-high Strength because they'll want the hit points.
Melee types got... well, I guess not really more MAD, because they went from Str/Con to Str/Agil, but it kind of feels that way.
Dexterity and Knowledge can be dumped pretty easily, as can Perception by anyone not making ranged attacks.
The "heavily armored warrior" archetype is gone. Light armor always had a slight edge, and now that you'll be pumping Agility to hit anyway...
On the other hand, "lightly armored warriors" also kind of feel like they're losing, with their AC (and probably attack) stat being separated from their skill (and maybe attack) stat.
Why are there no Agility skills?

Knitifine
2017-10-13, 05:08 PM
What's the problem you see that needsfixed? Anyway, my thoughts:

Everyone will have a moderate-to-high Strength because they'll want the hit points.
Melee types got... well, I guess not really more MAD, because they went from Str/Con to Str/Agil, but it kind of feels that way.
Dexterity and Knowledge can be dumped pretty easily, as can Perception by anyone not making ranged attacks.
The "heavily armored warrior" archetype is gone. Light armor always had a slight edge, and now that you'll be pumping Agility to hit anyway...
On the other hand, "lightly armored warriors" also kind of feel like they're losing, with their AC (and probably attack) stat being separated from their skill (and maybe attack) stat.
Why are there no Agility skills?

There are other ways to get hit points than having high Strength. All combatant should want good strength though, yes.
Melee types no longer need Dexterity to AC.
Dexterity and Knowledge are crucial skills for character who care about skills, but they are not necessary for other people. Perception is important for anyone who wants to avoid being ambushed (which is usually everybody).
This is untrue, and impossible to explain without releasing further information on classes, weapons, and armor. If used with the core rules, this would be more accurate, but frankly the armor system was broken before I touched it.
Yeah, that's because they were broken.
None of the skills that I could come up with care more about agility than they do another stat. If you have a suggestion I welcome it!

Thanks for the feedback.

rferries
2017-10-13, 06:16 PM
Perhaps Agility could improve initiative and movement speed?

Knitifine
2017-10-14, 04:32 AM
Races
Borrowed a few of my most liked elements from 4e, which is primarily creature origins and also included some big races. No size modifiers for any of these creatures, beyond what's implicit in their ability score mods. These races will be further refined later and half-elf, half-orc, and minotaur are all on the 'to add' list. If you have any suggestions on these races or requests for additional races to add to this systems core catalogue let me know.

Alfar Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Knowledge, -2 Strength: Alfar are wise and skilled but also frail.
Medium Fey Humanoid: Alfar are medium humanoids that hail from feywild.
Normal Speed: Alfar have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Alfar can see just as well in dim light as humans can see in bright light.
Arcane Education: Alfar receive a +2 racial bonus on Mysticism.
Trance: Alfar are immune to magic sleep effects because they do not sleep (nor do they dream). Instead, Alfar must enter a state of trance where they experience a self-guided mediation on old memories that lasts for six hours. This grants them all the benefits sleep grants to other creatures.
Fey Shift (Fey, Magic): By expending a resolve point, an Alfar can transport themselves to any parallel material planes they know of. They can only use this ability when they are near a doorway or reflection of some sort.
Language: Alfar are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Elven.

Dragonkin Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Perception, -2 Dexerity: Dragonkin are strong and perceptive but clumsy.
Big Elemental Humanoids: Dragonkin are big humanoids whose bodies contain the raw elemental power of their true dragon ancestors.
Normal Speed: Dragonkin have a base speed of 30 feet
Dragonkin Resolve: Dragonkin are immune to the frightful presence of conventional dragons and the alien presence of outer dragons, additionally they receive a +2 racial saving throw bonus against breath weapons.
Energy Resistance: Dragonkin gain resist 5 to one of the following elements at character creation: acid, cold, electricity or fire. This choice is apparent in their scale color and once chosen cannot be changed.
Languages: Dragonkin are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Draconic.

Drow Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Perception, -2 Strength: Drow are skilled, and perceptive but weak.
Medium Fey Humanoid: Drow are medium humanoids that hail from feywild.
Normal Speed: Drow have a base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Drow can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Drow see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Trance: Drow are immune to magic sleep effects because they do not sleep (nor do they dream). Instead, drow must enter a state of trance where they experience a self-guided mediation on old memories that lasts for six hours. This grants them all the benefits sleep grants to other creatures.
Secretive: Drow gain a +2 racial bonus to Stealth skill checks.
Blackflame (Fey, Magic): By expending a resolve point a drow can create a swirling black orb that radiates a 20 ft. area of darkness in bright light, and a further 20 ft. area of dim light after beyond that. This black orb lasts as long as it is held by a creature who possesses this ability or for 1 hour if it is dropped.
Starting Languages: Drow are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Elven.

Dwarf Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Knowledge, -2 Agility: Dwarves are both tough and wise, but also quite slow.
Medium Elemental Humanoid: Dwarves are medium humanoids that were created from stone and earth, and then turned to flesh by the gods.
Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 25 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
Darkvision: Dwarves can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Dwarves see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Hardy: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against magic and poison.
Stability: Dwarves receive a +4 racial bonus to their Armor Class when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on Engineering checks.
Language: Dwarves are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Dwarven.

Elf Racial Traits
+2 Agility, +2 Perception, -2 Strength: Elves are quick and perceptive but also frail.
Medium Fey Humanoid: Elves are medium humanoids that hail from feywild.
Normal Speed: Elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Elves can see just as well in dim light as humans can see in bright light.
Trance: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects because they do not sleep (nor do they dream). Instead, elves must enter a state of trance where they experience a self-guided mediation on old memories that lasts for six hours. This grants them all the benefits sleep grants to other creatures.
Woodcraft: Elves gain a +2 racial bonus on Survival checks.
Elven Precision (Martial): By expending a resolve point, an Elf can make a full attack that is shockingly accurate, gaining a +4 racial bonus on a single attack roll.
Language: Elves are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Elven.

Gnome Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Perception, -2 Strength: Gnomes are small but quick precise both physically and mentally.
Small Fey Humanoid: Gnomes are small humanoids that hail from feywild.
Slow Speed: Gnomes have a base speed of 25 feet.
Darkvision: Gnomes can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Gnomes see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Gnomish Trickery (Fey, Magic): By expending a resolve point, Gnomes are able to create simple illusions that allow them to hide people and objects in natural surroundings, granting them a +2 bonus on all stealth checks until they move again.
Illusion Resistance: Gnomes get a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusion magic.
Obsessive: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on a Profession skill of their choice.
Languages: Gnomes are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Gnomish.

Goblin Racial Traits
+2 Agility, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength: Goblins are swift and quick with their hands, but small and weak.
Small Mundane Humanoid: Goblins are small humanoids native to the material world.
Normal Speed: Goblins have base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Goblins can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Goblins see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Feral Friend: Goblins have a +2 racial bonus on Survival checks.
Goblin Fire (Alchemy, Martial): By expending a resolve point, Goblins can create a vial of extra sticky alchemist’s fire using a variety of rare ingredients and goblin spit. This increases the DC to put out the fire by the Goblin’s character level and the number of rounds the fire burns to be equal to the goblin’s level.
Languages: Goblins are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Goblin.

Halfling Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Courage, -2 Strength: Halflings are nimble and strong-willed, but their small stature makes them weaker than other races.
Small Mundane Humanoid: Halflings are small humanoids native to the material world
Normal Speed: Halflings have a base speed of 30 feet.
Halfling Luck: Halflings receive a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
Kneecapper: Halflings receive a +4 racial bonus on attacks made to trip an opponent.
Sure-Footed: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Athletics skill checks.
Languages: Halflings are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Halfling.

Human Racial Traits
+2 to One Ability Score: Human characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
Medium Mundane Humanoid: Humans are medium humanoids native to the material world.
Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Heroic: Humans receive a an additional hit point, morale point and skill point at each level.
Language: Humans are proficient in speaking and writing Common and any one language of their choice.

Kobold Racial Traits
+2 Agility, +2 Perception, -2 Courage: Kobolds are swift, sharp eyed and surprisingly durable for their size but widely known to be cowardly and easily manipulated.
Small Mundane Humanoid: Kobolds are small humanoids native to the material world.
Normal Speed: Kobolds have base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Kobolds can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Kobolds see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Scrappy: Kobolds may deal slashing or piercing damage with their unarmed strikes, and always add their character level to damage when attacking without weapons.
Crafty: Kobolds receive a +2 racial bonus on Engineering skill checks.
Dedicated: Kobolds receive a +2 racial bonus on a Profession skill of their choice.
Language: Kobolds are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Goblin.

Orc Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Agility, -2 Knowledge: Orcs are natural combatants but place little value of knowledge that doesn’t have an immediate practical application.
Medium Mundane Humanoids: Orcs are medium humanoids native to the material world.
Normal Speed: Orcs have a base speed of 30 feet.
Fearsome: Orcs receive a +2 racial bonus on Intimidation skill checks.
Orc Ferocity: Orcs possess the ferocity ability which allows them to remain conscious and continue fighting even if their hit point total falls below 0. Orcs are still staggered at 0 hit points or lower and lose 1 hit point each round as normal.
Languages: Orcs are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Orcish.

Ogre Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Courage, -2 Dexerity: Ogres are strong and fearless but quite clumsy.
Big Mundane Humanoid: Ogres are big humanoids native to the material world.
Fast Speed: Ogres have a base speed of 35 feet.
Darkvision: Ogres can see just as well in the dark as humans can see in bright light.
Light Blindness: Ogres see in bright light as poorly as humans do in areas of complete darkness.
Destructive: Ogres gain a +4 racial bonus to strength checks to break object, and a +2 racial bonus to sunder attack rolls.
Terrifying: Ogres gain a +2 racial bonus to the DC of all fear effects they create.
Languages: Ogres are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Orcish.

Treant Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Knowledge, -2 Agility: Treants are strong and knowledgeable, but slow.
Big Fey Humanoid: Treant are big humanoids that hail from feywild.
Slow Speed: Treant have a base speed of 25 feet.
Bark and Sap: Treants have tough bark and bleed sap rather than blood. They have innate resistance 2 to bludgeoning and piercing damage, and only suffer bleed damage at the end of their turn rather than the beginning.
Plantkin: A Treant is a plant creature in addition to being a humanoid.
Green Speech (Fey): Treants are capable of communicating with plants and plant creatures. This allows them to use Bluff, Intimidation or Persuasion to gain information from plants and plant creatures, though the perception of these creatures may be limited or bizarre.
Languages: Treants are proficient in speaking and writing Common and Orcish.