PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Greek Monsters

rferries
2017-10-16, 01:29 AM
I'll start off with the Stymphalian Birds, and maybe do the Lernaean Hydra, Gorgons, Sphinx, Sirens, Harpies, etc. later on.

0. Nymphs (other thread) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535438-Revised-Nymph-(plus-varieties)&p=22357264#post22357264)
1. Stymphalian Birds
2. Centaurs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22942286&postcount=2)

https://i.imgur.com/mMIX8GG.jpg
STYMPHALIAN BIRDSTINY MAGICAL BEAST (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 21d10 (115 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 26 (+2 Dex, +2 size, +22 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +21/-
Attack: Swarm 7d6/19-20
Full Attack: Swarm 7d6/19-20
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, pinions, stymphalian quills
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., half damage from slashing and piercing, hardness 10, low-light vision, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +16, Will +11
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +12, Spot +12, Survival +10
Feats: Ability Focus (pinions), Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (swarm), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural attack (swarm), Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: Solitary, murder (2-4 swarms), or hecatomb (5-8 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 21-48 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

The monstrous birds take to the air, their brazen beaks and feathers gleaming in the light of the sunset. Suddenly, the flock lets loose a shower of deadly, razor-sharp pinions in your direction.

Stymphalian birds are swamp-dwelling avians feared for their metallic plumage. They live off of human flesh, and are often the target of questing adventurers.

Combat
A flock often hurls their deadly pinions from a distance, before closing to engulf prey in the swarm.

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a flock of stymphalian birds in its space must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Hardness (Ex)
Stymphalian birds have brazen feathers as hard as iron. Fire, electrical and ranged weapon attacks (other than siege weapons and similar attacks) deal half damage to stymphalian birds; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to stymphalian birds; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

Pinions (Ex)
As a full-round action a flock of stymphalian birds can fire a volley of their deadly feathers in a 60-foot cone. All creatures in the cone are subject to the birds' swarm attack, though they are permitted a DC 20 Reflex save for half damage. A creature with the evasion special quality that saves against this attack ignores the effect of the stymphalian quills (see below). A flock may only use this attack once every 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Stymphalian Quills (Ex)
The swarm attack and pinions of stymphalian birds overcome all forms of damage reduction. They can score critical hits and have the the vorpal quality. Make attack rolls (melee or ranged, as appropriate) to determine successful critical hits, but they deal automatic damage even on a "miss".

rferries
2018-03-23, 10:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/fU693kN.jpg
CENTAURLARGE FEY
Hit Dice: 6d6+18 (39 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+15
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d6+4) or hoof +6 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 slams +6 melee (1d6+4) and 2 hooves +4 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rage 2/day, trample
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, equine build, humanoid build, powerful build
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills: Intimidate +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Listen +10, Spot +10, Survival +10
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or rampage (8-18 plus one barbarian chieftain of 4th-6th level)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Favoured Class: Barbarian
Level Adjustment: +0

This warrior would easily be the largest and most powerfully-built man you had ever seen, even if he didn't have the body of a warhorse from the waist down! He tosses his wild raven hair as though it were an actual mane, and greedily eyes the flask of wine in your hand and the charming bard at your side.

Like most fey, Centaurs generally keep to the wilderness and the company of their own kind. They pledge allegiance to no master and run free under the sun and stars, cavorting and rough-housing as strikes their fancy. Much like their satyr cousins they have a taste for both wine and the company of attractive humanoids, but unlike satyrs they are happy to raid frontier settlements in pursuit of those commodities.

Centaurs speak Common and Sylvan.

Combat
Centaurs are but one step removed from wild beasts. They are proficient only with their natural weapons and rely on simplistic tactics - charging and trampling foes, snatching up victims and loot and fleeing quickly, and so forth. Their chieftains wield spears, clubs, or battleaxes but generally fight independently rather than directing others in combat.

Equine Build (Ex)
Due to its equine anatomy, while charging a Centaur deals double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance), as though it were mounted and possessed the Spirited Charge feat.

Humanoid Build (Ex)
A Centaur's humanoid upper body means that it wields weapons one size category smaller than its actual size. In combination with its Powerful Build quality, this means that its weapons are treated as Large-sized weapons for the purpose of damage and reach (rather than Medium or Huge weapons).

Powerful Build (Ex)
A Centaur is treated as a creature of its actual size category or one size larger, whichever would be most beneficial to it at the time.

Rage (Ex)
As the barbarian class feature. A centaur's racial Hit Dice stack with levels of barbarian for the purposes of raging (e.g. determining the number of times per day they can rage, when they gain the Greater Rage ability, and so on).

Trample (Ex)
Reflex DC 17 half. The save DC is Strength-based.

New Feat
Child of Cheiron
You are descended from (or a follower of) Cheiron, the wise and benevolent Centaur demigod who trained many legendary heroes.

Prerequisites
Centaur, non-chaotic, non-evil, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
Your racial mental ability adjustments become: Charisma +4, Intelligence +8, and Wisdom +4. Recalculate skill points appropriately.

Your racial class skills become Concentration, Craft (all skills), Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (all skills), Perform (all skills), Profession, Sense Motive, and Speak Language. These skills replace your original racial class skills (reinvest skill points as you see fit).

You gain proficiency with simple and martial weapons and with all types of armour. You are proficient with shields (but not tower shields).

You lose your racial ability to rage, though you may still rage by taking levels of barbarian.

Special
Although you must be neither evil nor chaotic when you select this feat, you do not lose its benefits if your alignment changes later.

Debihuman
2018-03-27, 10:04 AM
I love the Stymphalian bird swarm. There aren’t enough interesting swarms in general. My only complaint is LA is too low for the Centaur. There is no way this is LA+0.

rferries
2018-03-27, 05:28 PM
I love the Stymphalian bird swarm. There aren’t enough interesting swarms in general. My only complaint is LA is too low for the Centaur. There is no way this is LA+0.

Thanks!

Re: the centaur - are you sure? I don't entirely disagree but 6 racial HD is a hefty penalty - basically rules out any caster class, and since it's fey it loses BAB and hp that a straight barbarian would have (I used the LA-reassignment thread minotaur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22030779&postcount=359) for comparison). Would you say +1 LA, +2...?

Thanks for the comments, good to see you posting here again!

nonsi
2018-03-28, 07:20 AM
Thanks!

Re: the centaur - are you sure? I don't entirely disagree but 6 racial HD is a hefty penalty - basically rules out any caster class, and since it's fey it loses BAB and hp that a straight barbarian would have (I used the LA-reassignment thread minotaur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22030779&postcount=359) for comparison). Would you say +1 LA, +2...?

Thanks for the comments, good to see you posting here again!

1. I'd rule out LA on the account that I can't imagine a centaur build that would beat a human of equal ECL (or any LA +0 fey) at anything when aiming for the same goals.
2. I'll toast to Debihuman's return. A paramount PEACHer with a keen eye for details.