PDA

View Full Version : Help making apple pie

Traab
2017-10-18, 10:02 PM
Ok so, I keep trying to make those dutch apple pies. I follow the directions, but when I pull it out of the oven, the apples have flooded the pie with liquid. I mean like a half inch layer or more of soup at the bottom leaving the bottom crust to be muck rather than solid. How do I fix this?

Peelee
2017-10-18, 10:35 PM
Ok so, I keep trying to make those dutch apple pies. I follow the directions, but when I pull it out of the oven, the apples have flooded the pie with liquid. I mean like a half inch layer or more of soup at the bottom leaving the bottom crust to be muck rather than solid. How do I fix this?

Can you post the recipe?

Mith
2017-10-18, 10:48 PM
My first thought is that you have insufficent slits in the top of the crust to vent the moisture from the filling. Could that be the problem?

WarKitty
2017-10-18, 10:53 PM
If there's any flour or cornstarch or similar in the filling, you could add more.

The Fury
2017-10-19, 03:32 AM
If you're making it from scratch, adding a little Minute Tapioca to the filling does a lot to thicken it and prevent it from going all runny. Though you will need to wait for it to cool.

Traab
2017-10-19, 08:40 AM
This is the latest pie I tried to make, freaking delicious "crust" but again, soupy as heck. Here. https://www.buzzfeed.com/alixtraeger/cinnamon-roll-apple-pie?utm_term=.xu0dzRd0P#.kapLOGL5Y

lunaticfringe
2017-10-19, 09:04 AM
I didn't check the recipe but a trick with fruit pies (because the juicy-ness can vary widely) is to set your chunks or slices in a bowl of sugar for 1/2 an hour to soak up excess liquids.

Sometimes it helps to let your pie set before baking to allow your thickeners to take greater effect before applying heat.

afroakuma
2017-10-19, 09:27 AM
You may want to specifically add a dusting of flour or cornstarch to the bottom crust before piling the apples on. It's something I've learned to do with my blueberry pies, which have had the same structural concerns in the past.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-19, 02:07 PM
Try using sturdy, not too juicy, sort of sour apples, like goudreinetten (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_de_Boskoop). My mother swears by them for apple pie. They don't juice as much as some other apples, and as a side effect you're going to be adding extra sugar which might also help absorb the soup. If the recipe gives you a range of temperatures maybe stick to the higher end to cook the fluids out some more.

tyckspoon
2017-10-19, 02:59 PM
Try using sturdy, not too juicy, sort of sour apples, like goudreinetten (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_de_Boskoop). My mother swears by them for apple pie. They don't juice as much as some other apples, and as a side effect you're going to be adding extra sugar which might also help absorb the soup. If the recipe gives you a range of temperatures maybe stick to the higher end to cook the fluids out some more.

The Granny Smith is a common baking apple in the US for this reason, although some of them have a fairly high amount of fluid in them. Partially pre-cooking the apples to sweat some of the liquid out of them or allowing them to rest and drain off after slicing/before tossing them in the spices may also help. Also, consider pre-baking the crust a little in order to let it firm up before putting the fruit on it.

Anonymouswizard
2017-10-20, 01:48 AM
The Granny Smith is a common baking apple in the US for this reason, although some of them have a fairly high amount of fluid in them. Partially pre-cooking the apples to sweat some of the liquid out of them or allowing them to rest and drain off after slicing/before tossing them in the spices may also help. Also, consider pre-baking the crust a little in order to let it firm up before putting the fruit on it.

That's pretty much what I remember about apple pie, sour non juicy apples, stew with sugar, potentially pre-bake crust.

However, as an Englishman, I'm much more familiar with savoury pies, where you generally want a more liquid sauce than with sweet pies. So I don't know a lot about this. Apples belong in crumbles, not pies!

BWR
2017-10-20, 08:15 AM
I often use Granny Smiths and I slice them, put them in a pot with a little sugar and flour and cook them slightly to get a lot of the moisture out. No problems with soupyness when I do it this way.
Tangentially, this is even more important with the cherries we use, which are really juicy. Just heat them a little to get a lot of the juice out, pour it off, and put some sugar and starch in there. (and save the juice).