PDA

View Full Version : How challaging will this encounter be for my group?

Throne12
2017-10-23, 09:43 AM
So my group have found them self in the feywilds and came across a Tribe of Centaur's and sheep and goat people. The elder sheep lady told them if they they wished to return to there Realm. They could cross over the Mountain and look for a elven settlement. But even if they do find a settlement who knows what the elfs would do. As fey elfs actions are unpredictable. Then she offers to make a potion that can be poured on Dousing rods. Then they can use the rods to track down a portal that leads back to the prime Material plane. Like the one they unknowingly entered. But the potion called for a eye of a Basilisk. She then tells them that at the foot of the mountain. There lives a hag that has a Basilisk for a guard dog. So the party opt to find the hag and kill her and her Basilisk guard dog. That's were we ended the session for the night.

The hag I had the book open to is looking to use is The Annis hag. So with her and the Basilisk she's a cr 6 and the Basilisk is a cr 3

The party
1. A lv4 vhuman paladin oath of the crown. With the feats shield master, and heavy armor master. Only magic item is a sword that heals a d4 if she's pass half her up max.
2. A lv 4 tabaxi long death monk. With the feat moble. Only magic item is a Quarterstaff that when used a purple and black energy forms a scythe Turing any damage done with it to Necrotic damage.
3. A lv4 lizardman hexblade blade warlock. Only magic item it's a mimic that can make a bite attack if he hit with it he also get the mimics ability on this living weapon.
4. A human 1lv fighter 3lvs of swashbuckler rogue a pistol and sword user. Magic items are a sword sheath that when a blade is drawn from it the next time that sword hit a creature the creature is effected by the poisoned Condition even if it is immune to the condition. Also has a few magical bullets.

So what do y'all think about this party going up Against the hag and her pet. How should I run this encounter what can I do with terrain or her lair.

Demonslayer666
2017-10-23, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a deadly+ fight. One CR 6 creature is a deadly encounter for that level and size of a party.

It also depends on how you stage the fight. Do they fight the basilisk first, and then the hag jumps in? Are you allowing the party to set up a surprise attack?

Moosoculars
2017-10-23, 05:32 PM
Also the fight is in the Annis' lair. She will have set this up as a favorable terrain for her and her pet. So if this is set up by the DM realistically then I would be increasing the CR because of her preparation.

For example a PC can only avert their eyes from a basilisk if they are not surprised so the hag should be placing their guard dog where it will be able to gain a lot of surprise, for example, rooms with curtains or blind corners where you turn around and bam! The basilisk is there.

If they avert their gaze for the next round then the basilisk can bite and run away (no AoO as PC can't see)

If they stare at the floor maybe there are piercers in the ceiling, if they stare upwards maybe a few snare traps.

So just the Basilisk could be hard enough.

Maybe they kill the guard dog and run. Knowing the Hag is too strong. They only need the eye after all. Build up her reputation so they know they should be running and not fighting would be my suggestion.

Unoriginal
2017-10-23, 06:44 PM
Are the centaurs/sheep/goat people providing any help to the PCs in the fight?

Protato
2017-10-23, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a deadly+ fight. One CR 6 creature is a deadly encounter for that level and size of a party.

It also depends on how you stage the fight. Do they fight the basilisk first, and then the hag jumps in? Are you allowing the party to set up a surprise attack?

I used a CR 3 and CR 6 creature on level 4 party of four adventurers and they beat both very easily, but then again my characters have ridiculous stats, magic items, and I very generously bend rules/play monsters kind of poorly so my party can succeed. That said, I threw 8 Perytons at the party and even after removing their damage resistance after figuring out I had a few too many (I planned 4 at first but worried it wouldn't be hard enough), they did a number on the party, enough for them to use one of the two short rests I allotted that session.

Throne12
2017-10-24, 07:25 AM
Ya my group has beaten monsters far above there cr range easily. Way to easily.