PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Lantern Shield

Avigor
2017-10-25, 01:13 AM
The Lantern Shield (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_shield) is most easily adapted as a spiked Shield Gauntlet (an existing exotic shield found in Races of Stone) with a (probably bullseye?) lantern attached to the inside over a hole in the shield (which has a flap that is controlled by a lever used by the gauntlet as I understand it) with the lantern emitting light in the direction the shield faces; I've already seen the existing completed Pathfinder version (and the incomplete seeming forum posts) that throw in other things, like incorporating a short sword and adding clips to hold maps or scrolls and wands on the inside of the shield, albeit IMO such a set of clips should be like a Shield Sheath as a potential add-on to any shield. While the wikipedia article only mentions their use in duels, I saw a YouTube video and a blog post suggesting they may have also been used by guards patrolling at night, albeit I don't know their sources (granted it does make logical sense).
Anyhoot getting on to the point:

The part I'm asking for suggestions about is how to handle the fighting style where you attempt to use it to blind your opponent.

I'm aware of the feat Weapon and Torch from Dungeonscape, but this shouldn't cause fire damage, and I'm not sure of doing it as a special full attack given how that, compared to a normal full attack, loses usefulness very quickly (unless you're playing E6); I'm contemplating something like you can sacrifice the shield bonus to do a similar dazzle during your turn, but part of me wants to do more than dazzle, with potential TWF penalties or saving throws for balance, and finally part of me really thinks that Light Sensitivity/ Blindness should have an impact on the effect, albeit I can understand why it might not.

Thoughts?