PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help with multiclass timing for one character and general building for another

Lendário
2017-10-31, 04:14 AM
Hi.
First character is a level 4 Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer i decided to multiclass into Warlock for 3 levels, but i'm not sure when i should do it.
I have three options in mind:

- I do it right now ( Sorc to 4 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 5 first for Fireball/Haste ( Sorc to 5 > Lock to 2 > Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Lock to 17 )
- I go to Sorc 8 first for Greater Invisibility/Polymorph ( Sorc to 8 > Lock to 3 > Sorc to 13 )

Second character is a Shield Master build i'm just not sure how to build.
My idea for this character comes from a group that needs me to play a frontline meatshield, but everytime i play a martial character i do some kind of PAM build because of how good it is and i feel the need to do something different, so a Shield Master came to mind.
I think i should start with Bear Totem Barbarian and multiclass into either Fighter or Rogue and have some fun knocking people prone and attacking/grappling, but it's all ranged characters besides me and the Cleric.
Should i go with this concept? If yes, how should i build it exactly? If not, i'm open for suggestions, what other character might might work better? ( The party is a Life Cleric, Sorcerer, Bow Ranger and me. Everything but UA is allowed. )

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-31, 07:53 AM
For the Sorc:

Wait until level 5 before multiclassing. Gaining access to level 3 spells is a huge step up in power, and not worth delaying. After that, it's up to you. Also, why Warlock 3 and not 2?

For the Shield Master:

If you really want to cheese it up, go Fighter (or Barbarian)/Rogue. Taking a couple levels in rogue will give you some extra sneak attack dice when you can use it (and if the enemy is prone, you can use it), and, most importantly, allows you to gain expertise in Athletics for all of those great shoves you'll be doing with the shield. Personally, I like Fighter over Barb with this combo, because I don't like the fluff weirdness of a Barb/Rogue. But if that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Specter
2017-10-31, 08:40 AM
For the Sorlock, the advice above.

For the Shield Master,can't go wrong with Barbarogue. Advantage and Expertise in Athletics means you can trip pretty much everyone.

Nidgit
2017-10-31, 06:19 PM
5 levels of Sorc first for sure. That 3rd level of Warlock isn't really necessary either.

I tend to favor Bearbarian/Rogue over Fighter/Rogue if you're looking mainly for tanking and Shoves. One level of Rogue is all you'll really need there since Athletics needs STR and your bonus action will be used for Shoves anyway.

One possible non-Vuman build: Mountain Dwarf, 14/14/14/8/12/10 point buy. Start as a Rogue for Dex saves and extra skill utility, then go Barb the rest of the way and pick up Shield Master at the first ASI. Dex Save proficiency + Shield Master + Bear Resistance means your Sorceror can fire AoEs into combat all day and you'll laugh it off. You don't really need the Con save anyway with Dwarven Resilience, and Str throws rarely come up. Your party will appreciate the lockpicking and versatility too.