PDA

View Full Version : Quick Latin Question(s)

ATHATH
2017-11-01, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to quickly check with you guys that the following Latin motto for an organization that I'm making for my campaign setting is grammatically correct. It should translate to "victory by any means".

The motto is "Quoquo modo victoriam".

Also, what would the motto be if I wanted to change it to "victory by any means necessary"?

Hellpyre
2017-11-01, 10:18 PM
It seems like you'd want to use 'victoria' rather than 'victoriam' to get across what I think you're trying for (A battlecry of sorts). It's been a while since I studied Latin, so take that with a grain of salt.

As for the second question, "Vincam omnimodis" carrys the gist of it, though it really means by all means rather than 'any means'

VoxRationis
2017-11-02, 01:21 AM
Hellpyre's got it, I think. The case of "victoria" varies depending on what your battlecry is supposed to be an abbreviation of. Victoria is nominative, so it would be the subject of the sentence. Victoriam is accusative, which means it's the object of the sentence. If you're trying to shorten "I will achieve victory by any means," you want "victoriam." If you're trying to shorten "Victory by any means is X," or just simply have the noun phrase "Victory by any means," you want "victoria."

ATHATH
2017-11-02, 01:40 AM
Hellpyre's got it, I think. The case of "victoria" varies depending on what your battlecry is supposed to be an abbreviation of. Victoria is nominative, so it would be the subject of the sentence. Victoriam is accusative, which means it's the object of the sentence. If you're trying to shorten "I will achieve victory by any means," you want "victoriam." If you're trying to shorten "Victory by any means is X," or just simply have the noun phrase "Victory by any means," you want "victoria."
Yeah, it's supposed to be a shortening of "I will achieve victory by any means."

Thanks to both of you for helping me with this.

Scyrner
2017-11-02, 11:59 AM
The other way you could do this is with an interesting Latin construction called the Ablative Absolute:

Victoria Perventus Instrumentis Ullis

That translates to "Victory Achieved/Reached/Came to by Any Means". In a very very literal translation, it's "With victory having been achieved by any means", but English doesn't love that translation.

Or: Victoriam Instrumentis Ullis Perveniam which is literally "I will achieve victory by any means". And you can totally re-order the words however you'd like, as long as there's nothing between Instrumentis and Ullis, though they can be in either order.