PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Treachery help.

Tai Dollar sign
2017-11-02, 03:12 AM
Str:16 Dex:11 Con:16 Int: 12 Wis: 12 Cha: 17 with these stats what would the be ideal way to play an OoTreachery Paladin. The spells seems pretty focused on damage and getting out of dodge. I don't have much D&D experience but would this work as an tank/support or am i better off just playing more towards a hit & run/support? What is your general option of the Oath? And fun ideas i should try?

X3r4ph
2017-11-02, 05:07 AM
As a paladin you are pretty much garanteed to be a little tanky, a little support, and a little damage.

Treachery gives you a little extra damage and some neet tricks to stay unseen.

I suspect you can be all of the above if you want to.

Consider Stone Sorcerer for more spell slots and even more fire power. Fighter Champion 3 for Action Surge, Fighting Style (Defense and Dueling is awesome togethet) and Improved Critical (works wonders with Smite.

Edit:

What race are you? Cull the Herd is pretty badass. If you are an elf consider Elven Accuracy for 3d20 rolls when you have advantage.

jaappleton
2017-11-02, 11:18 AM
So, here's the thing with Paladin spells: All the Smite spells, like Thunderous Smite? You don't need to actually use them if you don't want to. You can burn your spell slots for Divine Smite and do extra damage that way, no problem. Some prefer that method, considering it takes a bonus action to cast something like Thunderous Smite and it requires Concentration.

This lets you utilize your spells for defense and escape, if things do get rough.

Many prefer to simply cast Bless and go to town with their weapon.

My build preference for a Treachery Paladin is to use a 2h weapon, get the Greatweapon Master feat, cast Bless, and just outright murder. The lv7 feature means you should have Advantage quite a lot and Bless helps mitigate the -5 to hit penalty.

Go for the Defense fighting style to help shore up your AC, since you can't use a Shield when wielding a 2h weapon.

Tai Dollar sign
2017-11-02, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am a half orc, i think focusing on damage first and melee support would end up being more effective. the use of illusions intrigue me as well... Any tips of feats that be good for a damage dealing/ duplicate build?

Matticusrex
2017-11-02, 06:12 PM
Grab Great weapon master and abuse the at-will advantage you get from your clone if it is damage you want. Treachery and Devotion are the best heavy weapon abusers. Oath of vengeance is okay but it is more tuned for killing single big enemies than hoards. If its not too late to repick your race you will find human varient to be a much more powerful option as the paladin is big on feats.

Tai Dollar sign
2017-11-05, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the insight. I'll cross the bridge when i get there.